HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Do the Canadiens Make the Play-offs?

View Poll Results: Do the Canadiens Make the Playoffs in 12-13?
Yes, they have strong chances, and could be a home team contender come playoff time. 14 6.33%
Yes, a bottom 4 road warrior position is possible this upcoming year. 97 43.89%
No I believe they are going to fall just outside the playoffs (9-12) 70 31.67%
No, they're bottom feeders, getting ready for tomorrow 40 18.10%
Voters: 221. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-19-2012, 07:04 PM
Lizard King*

vCash: 500
Anything can happen so I'm hoping for the best and say we make the playoffs.

The first couple of games will show us what kind of team we have this season.

Lizard King* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 07:05 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
If Markov plays over 60 games I expect us to be sitting pretty come playoff time, unless he's completely lost it.
Markov isn't the only player who can get injured.

We're not a deep team. A loss of any of Price, Subban, Gorges, Markov, Plekanec, knocks us out of the playoff picture.

I'm not sure we can even withstand a loss of Desharnais, Cole, Pacioretty, Gionta, or Eller.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 08:59 PM
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

We need a d men and a top 6 forward . Having Gionta and Desharnais in the same line up don't help for line combination .
And our team last year didn't have depth . This year our depth is really young maybe they will answer the call but rushing players is a mistake the Habs have made too many time in the Gauthier / Gainey era. I hope they will take their time with our young players .

Injury will happen and I see us having some big losing streak next year. I don't think we will make the playoff

Quarantesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 07:21 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
My heart says yes, but my head says no.
Exactly how I feel. I also think they're won't be hockey for a while and it will hurt the Habs if it's a reduce season

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 08:08 AM
Dirty Danglez
Take it like a Man

Makes no sense that most fans think we make it other than optimism. This team is not one of the 8 best teams in the east on paper... There are probably 10 to 12 teams I say have a better roster/coaching staff combo.

Dirty Danglez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 08:53 AM
Playmaker09
Valar Morghulis

We're looking at another top 10 pick this year IMO. So somewhere between options 3/4 although I voted the latter. We're already not very strong as it is but what will kill us is our complete lack of depth at all positions (save for center if you believe Gomez or Galchenyuk could step up). A single significant long-term injury and we're back in the lottery, which with our luck, is destined to happen.

Playmaker09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 09:35 AM
bipolarhabfan

I think our players will have a better chance at winning a championship in Europe this year. I am not too keen on a second lockout in a decade.

As for the Habs, anything can happen. Last season no one predicted the Kings to win the Cup or that the Sens would make the playoffs. Personally, I think the Habs wont make it but I would like to be proven wrong!

bipolarhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 09:37 AM
OpenIceHit

Imo, we needed three things to change this team around this summer:

1- More offense (Better wingers for Plekanec)
2- A big and gritty top 3 stay at home D.
3- More grit and toughness on the bottom 6.

Since we've accomplished only the 3rd objective this summer so far, I doubt we'll make it.

Doan, even if not in his prime anymore, would be an improvement over Gionta and Bourque and this is without talking about the leadership and experience this veteran would bring to the team.

As for the second point, I don't see where we can get that. I would have liked to sign Bryan Allen but he preferred the Ducks. And even if I like him, I don't think Bouillon was the answer here.

OpenIceHit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 09:45 AM
MarkersMark*

Absolutely not. Even with a top-10 goalie (our usual crutch) we finished dead last in the east. We're void of talent apart from a handful of players and our D unit is easily one of the worst in the NHL in terms of defensive ability.

Marc Bergevin agrees or he wouldn't have picked up Bouillon for a regular shift. Expect a top-10 pick (ideally top-5) and at least one of Markov, Gionta, or Kaberle to be dealt come deadline day. But I will give them one thing, this team will finally learn to play with a little piss and vinegar and that bodes well for 2013 and 2014.

MarkersMark* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 10:25 AM
Mrb1p

Depends on Markov.

2 number 1 D one elite Goaltender 2 30 goalscorer 2 1B center.. Remind's me of Nashville with more offense and a little less defense.

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 10:58 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

It depends on 3 things.

1) Markov being healthy.
2) Team remaining fairly healthy.
3) Bourque scoring at least 20.

On paper, I think we are easily a top-8 team.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 11:25 AM
habs_24x

I say bottom 4. Markov needs to stay healthy. Too much talent to screw it up again.

habs_24x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 11:27 AM
poetryinmotion

Quite the pessimistic sentiment in this thread.

I don't think our season rides on Markov being healthy at all. Whatever he provides us with is going to be a bonus.

People seem to have a very short memory too as two seasons ago we were 6th (without Markov) and have missed the playoffs TWICE since 2003, one year where everything that could go horribly wrong did.

poetryinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 12:00 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Quite the pessimistic sentiment in this thread.

I don't think our season rides on Markov being healthy at all. Whatever he provides us with is going to be a bonus.

People seem to have a very short memory too as two seasons ago we were 6th (without Markov) and have missed the playoffs TWICE since 2003, one year where everything that could go horribly wrong did.
I think it's a matter of Markov putting us over ''bubble team'' section.

Without Markov we could be a bubble team. With him...

And two years ago we had a great Cammy, Gomez(Well...)...

But ya , I don't think we are not playoff bound.

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 01:17 PM
seanont
Rookie User

If our power play can produce we have a shot. If it's anything like last years were in trouble.

I also think if we can make the playoffs we have some good character players and we could pull an upset or two.

If we don't make the playoffs I hope we tank and get another good draft pick.

Nothing could be more frustrating then in Toronto were they missed the playoffs 7 in row and have no franchise players to show for it. That would suck

seanont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 01:23 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by feds91 View Post
I think Rangers, Pens, Caps, Bruins, Flyers are definitely better than the Canadiens. Also, I believe Tampa Bay (adding Matt Carle, Sami Salo, Anders Lindback, Benoit Pouliot) and Carolina (adding Jordan Staal, Alexander Semin, Joe Corvo) are much improved over last year. It'll be very difficult for Montreal to make the playoffs. I see them more at the level of the Islanders, Leafs, Jets, Sabres basically trying to remain out of the Eastern Conference basement. But ya never know, right?
I have the Rangers, Penguins, Flyers and Bruins as well ahead, as well as whoever wins the southeast (Carolina?).

I think Florida takes a step back, as does Ottawa, with the Islanders and Leafs continuing to flounder (although the Leafs might still make some moves before the season).

So that leaves the Habs, Sabres, Devils, Lightning, Caps and Jets fighting for 3 spots, with IMO more or less similar chances. I think the Jets have made some shrewd decisions and have a nice, balanced lineup, I wouldn't put a 6th place finish beyond them.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 01:41 PM
Teufelsdreck

I can't bring myself to think otherwise. Besides, our votes have no effect on whether they make the playoffs or not, so it's better to feel positive now. Of course, no team will make the playoffs if the season is canceled. That would irk those fans who want to see their teams get to the finals or win it all.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 02:05 PM
voyageur
Registered lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
I have the Rangers, Penguins, Flyers and Bruins as well ahead, as well as whoever wins the southeast (Carolina?).

I think Florida takes a step back, as does Ottawa, with the Islanders and Leafs continuing to flounder (although the Leafs might still make some moves before the season).

So that leaves the Habs, Sabres, Devils, Lightning, Caps and Jets fighting for 3 spots, with IMO more or less similar chances. I think the Jets have made some shrewd decisions and have a nice, balanced lineup, I wouldn't put a 6th place finish beyond them.
My predictions:

1. Rags
2. Canes (Kirk Muller! Staals & Skinner)
3. Sabres (best goalie in div, lots of talent)
4. Flyers
5. Caps (Oates will have a positive impact)
6. Florida (Tallon knows how to build teams)
7. Montréal
8. Boston (team has peaked, I expect decline)
-----------------------------
9. Ottawa
10. Pittsburgh (due to injuries)
11. Isles
12. Tampa
13. Jersey
14. Winnipeg
15. Toronto

voyageur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 02:08 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Put it this way. If we have 36 (or whatever it was) 1-goals games again and we only win 12 of them -- we aren't going to make the playoffs. And we can come out on top in those games, we stand a much better chance.

If I recall correctly, we had the worst record in the league for 1-goal games. I blame a lot of that on the system since our guys would play so tight and then once we got scored on, we were pretty much screwed because we didn't have a system that allowed to us to score easily.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 02:35 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Bubble team. Hopefully Price plays well enough to get us in like Quick did for the Kings last year.

Voted option 2

Team_Spirit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 02:41 PM
76ftw

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Danglez View Post
Makes no sense that most fans think we make it other than optimism. This team is not one of the 8 best teams in the east on paper... There are probably 10 to 12 teams I say have a better roster/coaching staff combo.
We could have argued the same thing two years ago, three years ago, four years ago etc... weird things happen when you hit the ice.

76ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 02:47 PM
Jigger77

Yes,

But they're going to have to play that conservative style of hockey everyone loves to hate on. Also need to be luckier than last year injury-wise.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 03:03 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
Yes,

But they're going to have to play that conservative style of hockey everyone loves to hate on. Also need to be luckier than last year injury-wise.
The conservative style is what killed us last year. We're much better at running and gunning.

poetryinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 03:07 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
The conservative style is what killed us last year. We're much better at running and gunning.
Injuries and firing of JM is what killed us. They were something like 3 points out of 8th when he got fired and they were the most injured team (man games lost) in the league. They were getting bodies back at the time and things looked like they were about to turn around. Also when they made the playoffs under JM they found success specifically because they played that style of game.

They simply don't have the horses for running and gunning, I'm afraid.

We'll see what kind of system MT implements.

Last edited by Jigger77: 08-20-2012 at 03:13 PM.
Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 03:36 PM
capebretoncanadien

I think we'll be top four in the conference if...

1. Markov can return to form.

2.Bourque can get his head out of his ass.

3.Plekanec puts up more points.

4.DD Max and Cole need to repeat.

5.Eller continues to emerge as does Subban.

6.Price needs to have a great season.

7.Therrien does a good job coaching.

8. We stay relatively healthy.

So....a longshot but every year is another chance to win the cup!!

capebretoncanadien is offline   Reply With Quote