HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, expansion and relocation, and NHL revenues.

Thursday's meeting in Toronto

Closed Thread

Old
01-20-2005, 04:17 PM
dafranchz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJAnimosity
6-year deal with a cap AFTER 6 years? Not a chance.
bad rumor..... ESPN NEWS said no way either.

Old
01-20-2005, 04:17 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJAnimosity
6-year deal with a cap AFTER 6 years? Not a chance.
actually this is a smart move for the nhlpa because they know the owners won't agree to a cap after 6 years. the owners might agree to a cap in 3 years which is probably what the players are shooting for. it creates a compromise and makes both sides look good.

Old
01-20-2005, 04:20 PM
barnburner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crows
He didn't explain it enough.

But it seems to be a phased in cap. Which is the only possible way I feel is the best way to get a cap in the game But 6 years... jeez.
There is no way the owners are going to bite on waiting for another 6 years for cost certainty. I'd be suprised if they even agreed to wait 3 years. They can hold the line and get the players to take a cap from the get go at some point during what would be the next season.

Old
01-20-2005, 04:20 PM
DJAnimosity
fear= the mindkiller

Send a message via Yahoo to DJAnimosity
Yep, the 3-year rumor is the best one I've heard so far, and I think this is the compromise that will get this friggin' thing done.

Old
01-20-2005, 04:21 PM
Crows*

THis is all rough people.

I doubt that's the only compromise made in the deal.

There is much more we do not know about.

The league did say the 24 percent would fix the problems for a couple years. So you never know if that 24 percent is in the phased in cap.... i do think the owners would bite.

Old
01-20-2005, 04:23 PM
jratelle19

When Bettman addressed the media after the league's last proposal, he did mention when answering a reporter's question that the NHL would be quite willing to phase in a cap over an agreed period of time in order for teams with a high payroll to be better prepared to meet the criteria of the cap. I thought then that this might play a key role in working out the new CBA.

I still believe that the phasing in of the cap will be essential in reaching an agreement. I just don't think that ownership will agree on a 6-year period to do so.

Old
01-20-2005, 04:24 PM
Crows*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jratelle19
When Bettman addressed the media after the league's last proposal, he did mention when answering a reporter's question that the NHL would be quite willing to phase in a cap over an agreed period of time in order for teams with a high payroll to be better prepared to meet the criteria of the cap. I thought then that this might play a key role in working out the new CBA.

I still believe that the phasing in of the cap will be essential in reaching an agreement. I just don't think that ownership will agree on a 6-year period to do so.
Exactly that's what I was getting at with my edit on my post above.

I remember him saying that. ALong the lines of the 24 percent rollback would "reset things for a couple years" Which is what they may need to bring in the cap.

Old
01-20-2005, 04:41 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Come on make a deal guys! Please!! But im not getting my hopes up for anything. Found out the hard way thats not the way to see things.

Old
01-20-2005, 04:44 PM
markov`

4 hours... and still couting !!

Old
01-20-2005, 04:49 PM
SuperNintendoChalmrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine4LIFE
Come on make a deal guys! Please!! But im not getting my hopes up for anything. Found out the hard way thats not the way to see things.

Is your avatar Gary Bettman's senior high school portrait?

Old
01-20-2005, 04:50 PM
Mikko_Makela

Optimus Rhyme is the sickest!!!

Old
01-20-2005, 04:57 PM
Dabomb

hey the longer this meeting goes.. the better I think. 4 hours of meeting so far... wow.. Thats more dialogue in one afternoon than all the meetings in the whole year combined! Lets cross our fingers that progress is being made

Old
01-20-2005, 05:00 PM
chiavsfan

Actually if you want to be technical, I think each meeting has lasted about 4-5 hours so far. So they should probably be coming out with their smug looks very soon

Old
01-20-2005, 05:01 PM
Hockeyfan02

Just curious, but has anyone reported where in Toronto the meeting is being held.

Old
01-20-2005, 05:01 PM
Briannj1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabomb
hey the longer this meeting goes.. the better I think. 4 hours of meeting so far... wow.. Thats more dialogue in one afternoon than all the meetings in the whole year combined! Lets cross our fingers that progress is being made
This is true. I've also heard that Saskin again is a part of today's process. To think that the guy loses his mother and he's still a part of the negotiations, to me, speaks volumes as to where they think they are in all of this. If this goes past, say, five or six tonight, figure that they have to be close because let's face it....time's running out.

Old
01-20-2005, 05:05 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan02
Just curious, but has anyone reported where in Toronto the meeting is being held.
Sheraton hotel - Toronto airport.

Old
01-20-2005, 05:06 PM
Vic Rattlehead*

<------still pessimistic.

Old
01-20-2005, 05:07 PM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Of course there's no answer, and it's been said a million times, but...

...where has this been? What have these dumb-***** been doing? :mad:

OK, I feel a little better now.

Old
01-20-2005, 05:09 PM
no13matssundin

The Fan590 just said that the media have been given a room @ the Sheraton and that both parties will be meeting with the Media at some point in the future tonight... no promises of any "deal" though.

Old
01-20-2005, 05:13 PM
Briannj1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassés
Of course there's no answer, and it's been said a million times, but...

...where has this been? What have these dumb-***** been doing? :mad:

OK, I feel a little better now.
Sadly that's a part of the process; waiting until the last possible minute to get the best possible deal. You generally don't pull out your best offer until you're ready to lose everything. That's what we've seen, and what we're seeing, here. The crappy part is that so many people have lost somewhere along the way and think about it: ticket takers, food vendors, even the people who sell the food and beer to the venues, the people who deliver that stuff (you know local beer distributors have to have taken an enormous hit). That doesn't even count the fans that show up to the games and buy all of that stuff that's being sold.

Either way, let's just hope that this is nearing it's end. It sure seems like it. The fact that it's after 5 pm EST and they're still talking should tell us something good.

Old
01-20-2005, 05:18 PM
Dabomb

Any updates on TV? Reports? I'm at work now and my only source is the internet

Old
01-20-2005, 05:25 PM
Kukla

Quote:
Originally Posted by no13matssundin
The Fan590 just said that the media have been given a room @ the Sheraton and that both parties will be meeting with the Media at some point in the future tonight... no promises of any "deal" though.
Any update on this.

Old
01-20-2005, 05:29 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

5:30 and it seems the meeting is still going on.

Old
01-20-2005, 05:34 PM
Maximus

Send a message via Yahoo to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briannj1970
Sadly that's a part of the process; waiting until the last possible minute to get the best possible deal. You generally don't pull out your best offer until you're ready to lose everything. That's what we've seen, and what we're seeing, here. The crappy part is that so many people have lost somewhere along the way and think about it: ticket takers, food vendors, even the people who sell the food and beer to the venues, the people who deliver that stuff (you know local beer distributors have to have taken an enormous hit). That doesn't even count the fans that show up to the games and buy all of that stuff that's being sold.

Either way, let's just hope that this is nearing it's end. It sure seems like it. The fact that it's after 5 pm EST and they're still talking should tell us something good.
Bingo!!...100% correctumundo Brian. This is all about the negotiations having reached the point where BOTH sides with a slight tilt more towards the players, are feeling that sense of urgency which is crucial for an agreement to take place. As we have seen in the other sports particularly in baseball, how many times over the years was there the belief while the negotiations being as acrimonious as they were, they never would agree. And than all of a sudden when it got real close to midnight, "miraculously" both sides came to an agreement.

That's precisly what is going on here in these labor negotiations....a sense of urgency. It is a tactic that is used all the time in this process, and if used properly like the league has done in my view in this instance, it forces one side to throw out the olive branch and reach out to the other side in a quest to have meaningful dialogue. Seeing that I'm involved in negotiations and pretty upscale type of negotiations every day as part of my living, I see this tactic done over and over and over again. And thus my confidence and feeling that there is no way there won't be a season despite the rhetoric in the past.

You'll see, a "miraculous" agreement will occur just when it was thought there was no hope and pucks will be dropped early February...its just the way it works. There is a reason why no North American sport has ever been cancelled due to a strike or lockout EVER!!. Money baby......money talks and right now guys like Linden and the rest of the executive committee are listening to their constituency....Don't get me wrong, the players will in fact save face as they are a proud bunch for sure. But there will be some sort of cap whether its said or unsaid as there is a sense of urgency now....the best negotiating tactic known to man!!....

-Max

Old
01-20-2005, 05:41 PM
incawg

Fan590 reports that the meetings are done for today...more info to come im sure.

Closed Thread