HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Phoenix coaches tell players to standby for practice in the next 7 days

Closed Thread

Old
01-20-2005, 03:38 PM
Hordichuk_24

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleHossa
That's great but last I heard Phoenix didn't have a coach.
Rick Bowness.

People thought he would be replaced but he wasn't/hasn't been. So he is still the head coach for the time being...

Old
01-20-2005, 03:42 PM
CH Wizard

Send a message via MSN to CH Wizard
Why they didn't keep it secret ?!

If they told to the media , there's something behind this....

Old
01-20-2005, 03:47 PM
Maximus

Send a message via Yahoo to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregStack
Good post.
Thanks Greg.

You know thought of this as well. I'm in the sales field as an executive who sells products to the legal community. And what's interesting is that in the negotiations that I'm involved in which are on a daily basis, unless I somehow, someway create a sense of urgency with my clients(ie....telling them a "promo" won't be in effect once 1/31 hits or if they buy now, I can give them two other services but its only up until 1/31), some of, actually most of my customers, despite the fact they absolutaly need my product, will sit on their a$$es and not do a thing and don't buy.

Same thing going on here in these hockey negotiations. And we've all seen this time and time before, in baseball especially, when just when it seems as if the two sides will never agree and all the neysayers are saying "season over" there will never be an agreement. All of a sudden "miraculously" at the last possible minute, the two sides join together, call a news conference, to announce there is an agreement.

The only reason the agreement was made was because with a sense of urgency at hand, one or both sides, but invariably it usually is one side, made an overture to the other side to deal in good faith and was willing to compromise. Obviously, unless we end up finding out differently when this is all said and done, it is the players who are sending out the olive branch in the name of Trevor Linden.

And seeing that the players are fully aware that they can't afford as much as the owners can, to sit out two years withought a sweet cash flow, they have to make a deal now at the last minute that includes a cap but where they'll get some little perks as well(lowered FA age for example) cause they are a proud bunch and they absolutaly have to save face.

Bottom line: This is all about negotiation tactics. And there is nothing, trust me when I say this cause I'm involved in negotiations every day as its how I feed my family, there is nothing like the sense of urgency, that a product can't be had for this kind of discount, or in this case, a season or two with a boatload of salary money about to be thrown away, as the impetus, to get negotiations that are stalled with no hope, to one that is being agreed upon and completed within days. That is precisly what is going on here folks.....we'll be seeing hockey before too long no doubt in my mind.

-Max

Old
01-20-2005, 03:49 PM
Poochie_D

ok well if there is truth behind this deal being made... what do you think the legistics of deal would be? soft cap? any pay cuts?

ideas?

Old
01-20-2005, 03:58 PM
Maximus

Send a message via Yahoo to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie_D
ok well if there is truth behind this deal being made... what do you think the legistics of deal would be? soft cap? any pay cuts?

ideas?
I for one have no idea what it will look like nor does anyone else here as only the two sides negotiating teams likely know. I only know the same things you have been reading either on these boards which are terrific sources of info and from some of the reputable newspapers and networks that have reporters who are following the negotiations.

I only know that history tells us that when a season is about to be cancelled and players and owners are about to lose millions and millions of dollars, agreements invariably occur. There is a reason why no North American sport has ever had its season cancelled due to a strike or lockout and its the all mighty dollar.

-Max

Old
01-20-2005, 04:14 PM
Lanny MacDonald*

If the Coyotes are really opening training camps in seven to ten days, shouldn't they have booked the ice at their own practice facility? Ooops. Mission control, we have a problem. The ice was wide open for bookings an hour ago. No booking, no training camp.

Old
01-20-2005, 04:24 PM
Jaysfanatic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Iconoclast
If the Coyotes are really opening training camps in seven to ten days, shouldn't they have booked the ice at their own practice facility? Ooops. Mission control, we have a problem. The ice was wide open for bookings an hour ago. No booking, no training camp.
Someone is quite a sherlock.

Old
01-20-2005, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Iconoclast
Don't you think they have regularly scheduled blocks of time at the Coyotes practice rink that are exclusively booked for the Coyotes? At this point, I question if you even checked, what is the Coyotes practice rink? It has multiple rinks as well, so who's to say that one of the rinks is not available, or even their home rink since there is virtually no bookings made for the Glendale arena past January? I know, because I skate there often. I just get the feeling that you are raining on the parade like usual. Better yet, no need to respond, because I've just blocked you from my view. Ahhh much better.

However, if the Coyotes wanted to get practice time, I'm sure between their home rink or practice rink, they could find a little icetime.

Old
01-20-2005, 04:46 PM

Source

Quote:
That was until the Anaheim Mighty Ducks and Phoenix Coyotes, two of the teams reportedly telling their players to be prepared, shot down the reports.

"There's no substance to that whatsoever," said Ducks head coach Mike Babcock. "That's not true at all."

Phoenix GM Mike Barnett also denied his players were told to be on alert.

"That's completely erroneous," he said. "I have not spoken to any members of our roster in two months. I don't even know where one-third of our roster is. Some of them are spread all over the globe. No one in our management group has contacted our players since November."

Old
01-20-2005, 04:46 PM
Gord Miller

Hate to burst your bubble guys, but the Phoenix/Anaheim story is completely untrue. The Coyotes and Ducks both say there's nothing to it.

In addition, the "equipment" that supposedly was brought in by the team was a shipment of sticks- bound for their AHL affiliate in Salt Lake City.

Old
01-20-2005, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Converse
I guess they were just supposed to say yes, right?

So your trying to tell me the GM of the coyotes dosen't know where 1/3rd of his roster is?

Well coyotes fans, there's two ways to take this...your GM is inept as he's not following the progress of his own players, or #2 he's a liar...

Old
01-20-2005, 05:02 PM
Lanny MacDonald*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Converse
Don't you think they have regularly scheduled blocks of time at the Coyotes practice rink that are exclusively booked for the Coyotes? At this point, I question if you even checked, what is the Coyotes practice rink? It has multiple rinks as well, so who's to say that one of the rinks is not available, or even their home rink since there is virtually no bookings made for the Glendale arena past January? I know, because I skate there often. I just get the feeling that you are raining on the parade like usual. Better yet, no need to respond, because I've just blocked you from my view. Ahhh much better.

However, if the Coyotes wanted to get practice time, I'm sure between their home rink or practice rink, they could find a little icetime.
Well, as of about two hours ago, Desert Schools Coyotes Center (in Peoria), had nothing booked. Nothing regular except for public skating and some adult ice time. Don't believe me, call them yourself.

Try using a little logic when you see stuff like this. Some moron reports that they heard that training camps are about to open. Okay, what do they need to do that? Hey, how about ice? I know, I'll call the practice facility and see if any ice time has been block booked! Wow! What a stretch. And to think, you got all worked up and got all wet for nothing.

Old
01-20-2005, 05:04 PM
EventHorizon
Bring Back Ties!

Coyotes completely deny rumors of practice.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp...98&hubName=nhl

Old
01-20-2005, 05:04 PM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by G. Miller
Hate to burst your bubble guys, but the Phoenix/Anaheim story is completely untrue. The Coyotes and Ducks both say there's nothing to it.

In addition, the "equipment" that supposedly was brought in by the team was a shipment of sticks- bound for their AHL affiliate in Salt Lake City.
Yea, I am sure that they would come out and say "of course we told them to prepare to get back to work, a deal is almost done".

Were you people born in the past week or what?

Old
01-20-2005, 05:05 PM
Gord Miller

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=111998

;-)

Old
01-20-2005, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz37
Yea, I am sure that they would come out and say "of course we told them to prepare to get back to work, a deal is almost done".

Were you people born in the past week or what?
Exactly

Old
01-20-2005, 05:10 PM
Gord Miller

Ummm, I wasn't born last week, and I think I have a pretty good handle on this stuff (grins). But perhaps the username doesn't ring a bell. (grins again)

Old
01-20-2005, 05:14 PM
Poochie_D

Quote:
Ummm, I wasn't born last week, and I think I have a pretty good handle on this stuff (grins). But perhaps the username doesn't ring a bell. (grins again)
you might have more reach/insight into this whole thing then any of us here... but that doesnt mean ur right either. we'll have a deal by sunday, watch.

Old
01-20-2005, 05:17 PM

Quote:
And I'm Jesus Christ. Not that you aren't Gord Miller, but you have to realize that a lot of people make false claims in such an environment. Until you can show a little credibility to your claims, it's only goofy to grin like you are. How do we know you aren't Bob McKenzie posing as Gord Miller? LOL

Old
01-20-2005, 05:18 PM
Madevilz

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=111998

weeeeeeeeeeeeee

DENIED

Old
01-20-2005, 05:20 PM
Jaysfanatic*

Quote:
yyyyyeah......Im Lou Lamoriello.

Old
01-20-2005, 05:23 PM
Bruwinz37

Quote:

Ok "Gord", if you have such a sold handle on things why not share something that you know to be true? Or is your handle not *that* good?

Old
01-20-2005, 05:23 PM
Poochie_D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfanatic
yyyyyeah......Im Lou Lamoriello.
unless you dont alrdy know... its the actual gord miller. THE gord miller

Old
01-20-2005, 05:29 PM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

On TSN they contacted the Coyotes management and said that this report was false. Take what you want out of that.

Old
01-20-2005, 05:30 PM
Jaysfanatic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie_D
unless you dont alrdy know... its the actual gord miller. THE gord miller
and I am THE Dalai Llama. Last time, when I was curious about Bob McKenzie, admin told me it was true, I'll wait for the same thing on this one.

Closed Thread