2012 roster predictions

Old
01-06-2013, 04:29 PM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelDuck View Post
I know they can play together, but Bobby has said in the past that he doesn't want to play with the Twins. That's what I meant by my comment
For what it's worth he told me that he wants another shot with the twins when the season came back. Ha I didn't tell him it's not what I wanted. Believe it if you wish. Yes I know he's said he wanted to break away from them in the past, but he did tell me that about a week ago.

Duck Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 04:36 PM
OCSportsfan

That would be interesting if they put Ryan with Getz and Perry again, but I would rather see how he does on the second line. He and Bonino did quite well last year and I think Bonino is a solid player that can set him up pretty well.

OCSportsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 04:38 PM
2faded

Yea I think Ryan and Bonino will work well together. If the rookies arent playing as well as we need them to then I think RPG needs to be put back together so they can carry us into the playoffs.

2faded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 04:39 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carelton CA View Post
Smith-Pelley- 5G's 8A's and a team worst -16 in 33 games. Sorry but don't see him getting rewarded for that start by going to the NHL.
You're just boxscore scouting, DSP is never going to put up huge numbers, even in the AHL and +/- is an irrelevant stat (see J.Schultz in 09-10 and Fowler last year for examples). For lack of better options in our bottom 6, he'll be in the NHL.

We really need to go out and get a LW to play with the twins though. As much as I hope Palmieri can play his off wing and produce on that line I have my doubts.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 04:42 PM
AngelDuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
You're just boxscore scouting, DSP is never going to put up huge numbers, even in the AHL and +/- is an irrelevant stat (see J.Schultz in 09-10 and Fowler last year for examples). For lack of better options in our bottom 6, he'll be in the NHL.

We really need to go out and get a LW to play with the twins though. As much as I hope Palmieri can play his off wing and produce on that line I have my doubts.
Exactly this. I think we need a left handed shot that can score goals, and likes to cycle along the boards, and can clear space for the twins. Kyle just doesn't really fit that description

AngelDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 04:44 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
You're just boxscore scouting, DSP is never going to put up huge numbers, even in the AHL. For lack of better options in our bottom 6, he'll be in the NHL.

It is obvious that the only forward that Yawney trusts as much as DSP is Maroon. Those two are the guys he looks to when something needs fixing. He even has him taking faceoff draws at times, and I'm not talking about when the center gets tossed.

Agreed on the second part as well.

One thing that we should keep in mind is that we did sign Pelley to a PTO a couple weeks back. It's possible that we're bringing him back for the 4C spot.

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 04:51 PM
JabbaJabba

vCash: 552
If Holland doesn't play center, then they need to sign someone because there are only three centers in the team (Cogliano can't do the job and Winnik is primarily a winger, right?) and there's no one in Norfolk who could help. Arnott is still available, he could bring the size and veteranship this bottom 6 could use.

Although now that I think of it, if Winnik could play center it would allow Holland to start at the wing so it would be easier to him.

Palmieri-Getzlaf-Perry
Ryan-Bonino-Selšnne
Beleskey-Koivu-DSP
Cogliano-Winnik-Holland
Staubitz

JabbaJabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 04:54 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by JabbaJabba View Post
Arnott is still available, he could bring the size and veteranship this bottom 6 could use.
Arnott all but signed in Vancouver before the lockout, unfortunately I think he's still headed there I think both sides wanted to wait and see how things played out before he signed.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 04:54 PM
Elvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carelton CA View Post
Smith-Pelley- 5G's 8A's and a team worst -16 in 33 games. Sorry but don't see him getting rewarded for that start by going to the NHL.
That has little importance when you factor in what Smith-Pelly did in the NHL last year. Not all NHL'ers are going to destroy the AHL or even look much better than average when they're down there. It's what they do in the NHL that counts. Although, I'll give you that if he struggles early it's possible that he's sent down to the AHL quite soon (similar to Brandon McMillan last year).

Elvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 05:00 PM
Elvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JabbaJabba View Post
If Holland doesn't play center, then they need to sign someone because there are only three centers in the team (Cogliano can't do the job and Winnik is primarily a winger, right?) and there's no one in Norfolk who could help. Arnott is still available, he could bring the size and veteranship this bottom 6 could use.

Although now that I think of it, if Winnik could play center it would allow Holland to start at the wing so it would be easier to him.

Palmieri-Getzlaf-Perry
Ryan-Bonino-Selšnne
Beleskey-Koivu-DSP
Cogliano-Winnik-Holland
Staubitz
Winnik has never played center in the NHL other as an emergency fill in, so I sure hope that's not the idea behind the signing.

If Holland doesn't make the team, I'm guessing the team would go the trade route to aquire a 2nd, 3rd or 4th line center (depending where Bonino and Koivu ends up playing). As for UFA's there aren't many options:

- Jason Arnott (would be surprised if he signed with a non-contender).
- Daymond Langkow (two years younger than Arnott, but also in decline).
- Jochen Hecht (should still be a useful bottom sixer. Is maybe better suited for the wing, though).
- Brendan Morrison (probably unlikely to get signed anywhere, especially Anaheim).
- Dominic Moore (wasn't going to sign anywhere because of family matters, I don't know if that was for the entire season though. Maybe he's ready to go now? Would be a good fit for the bottom six).
- Jesse Winchester (Could center the 4th line. Good speed, grit, face off skills and has decent size).

And those are all, unless they go with Rod Pelley again which I doubt and which I hope not. Usefull reserve forward/call up, but not much more than that. How is he doing in the AHL anyways?

Last edited by Elvs: 01-06-2013 at 05:35 PM.
Old
01-06-2013, 05:38 PM
JabbaJabba

vCash: 552
Quote:
Arnott all but signed in Vancouver before the lockout, unfortunately I think he's still headed there I think both sides wanted to wait and see how things played out before he signed.
What's the cap for this season? Is it 64 millions or something like that? Vancouver sits at 67 millions right now. But I get it, Arnott wants to win now and probably goes somewhere else. Rangers have some space left but need to sign Del Zotto. They still probably could afford Arnott if they wanted to and he could take a discount to play for a cup contender.

I know that it's a bit of hopeful dreaming by me to want him in Anaheim but maybe he could play the short season here and be like "hey look at me, I can still do this" and get a contract to another team during the Summer.

JabbaJabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 05:43 PM
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White

vCash: 50
This season the cap is 70.2 still.

Spicy Porkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 06:50 PM
vsk92
Alltid IFK

Will Vatanen stay in the AHL or will he get a spot on the Ducks roster?

vsk92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 06:53 PM
Elvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsk92 View Post
Will Vatanen stay in the AHL or will he get a spot on the Ducks roster?
The Ducks D looks set (unless someone is moved but that's unlikely imo)...

Beauchemin - Fowler
Allen - Sbisa
Lydman - Souray

He's not gonna be the 7th defenseman obviously as he's better off getting icetime in the minors, but I would have to think he's the first call up in case Fowler or Souray gets injured.

Last edited by Elvs: 01-06-2013 at 07:14 PM.
Old
01-06-2013, 07:40 PM
justheducks

Send a message via AIM to justheducks
Anyone else think DSP can be apart of a new shutdown line?
May be a DSP- Cogs- Beleskey or Winnik line to start then trade for a 3rd line center or get one in free agency this offseason.

justheducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 07:42 PM
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by justheducks View Post
May be a DSP- Cogs- Beleskey or Winnik line to start then trade for a 3rd line center or get one in free agency this offseason.
Hey, we might solve our center depth problem if we keep Getz but have to trade Perry.

Spicy Porkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 07:54 PM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

Jason Arnott's brother Wade is Justin Shultz' agent. I may be off base here but I don't think the Ducks needs Jason bad enough for BM to make that call.

Eddie Shack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 07:59 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Quote:
Originally Posted by justheducks View Post
No. I'd prefer Bonino/Koivu with Cogliano and Winnik. Bonino is defensively capable but probably too erratic with his face offs. Cogliano is nowhere near good enough at face offs to center a shutdown line but is good defensively. Winnik adds size and is a better choice than DSP until he shows a bit more defensive awareness at ES IMO.

Ducks DVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 01:45 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Man i forgot how ****ed up our bottom 6 forward situation is, all I know is i don't want a 4th line of sissy's, give me DSP, and Beleskey on the wings, Staubitz plays part time. Will be interested to see if Boudreau splits up Koivu and Selanne finally

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 01:48 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Quote:
I seriously think Murray needs to add a LW to play with Getzlaf and Perry if we want to have a shot at the playoffs this year. I don't think any of the guys in our system are skilled enough to play on the first line with those guys except Bobby. As we know, Bobby doesn't fit there. No idea who's available, but I'd like for him to look to upgrade that spot. With the current roster I think the lineup should be this:

Palmieri-Getzlaf-Perry
Ryan-Holland-Selanne
Winnik-Koivu-DSP
Cogliano-Bonino-Beleskey
How quickly people forget the RPG line was considered the most dominant line in the league before last season...they CAN play together, they used to strike fear in everyone not to long ago

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 01:52 AM
AngelDuck

The more I think about it, the more i want to see Maroon in our bottom 6. I'm sick and tired of having guys that can't score at all playing in our bottom 6. No more Rod Pelly, and Jarko Rutuu type guys. I want guys on our 4th line that can put the puck in the net 10-15 times, and also be reliable defensively. I think Maroon is capable of that (obviously he won't score 10-15 times in the shortened season).

Last edited by AngelDuck: 01-07-2013 at 02:00 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old
01-07-2013, 01:53 AM
Finnpin

Finally. NHL is back time for real hockey.

Hopefully Getz and Perry comes to camp in good fit...especially Getz

Let Vatanen stay in Norfolk now and develop even more... he is a slow starter... even in Finland and when and if injuries come...call him up.

Now waiting the schedules to come up...

Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 01:59 AM
Elvs

Quote:
The more I think about it, the more i want to see maroon in our bottom 6. I'm sick and tired of having guys that can't score at all playing in our bottom 6. No more Rod Pelly, and Jarko Rutuu type guys. I want guys on our 4th line that can put the puck in the net 10-15 times, and also be reliable defensively. I think Maroon is capable of that (obviously he won't score 10-15 times in the shortened season).
That's should change with Cogliano, Winnik and likely Koivu playing in the bottom six. If Smith-Pelly and Beleskey can make some strides too we could have pretty good depth up front.

Old
01-07-2013, 02:03 AM
AngelDuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvstrand View Post
That's should change with Cogliano, Winnik and likely Koivu playing in the bottom six. If Smith-Pelly and Beleskey can make some strides too we could have pretty good depth up front.
True. The bottom 6 actually might not be as bad as we think. We really just need to solve 2C and 1LW, and we're pretty much set.

Old
01-07-2013, 02:56 AM
Elvs

On a sidenote, it wouldn't surprise me if Kent Huskins is signed as a #7 defenseman. Guenin worked out well in that role last year, but there's a reason he's always been an AHL call up before. I'm not saying it's the right move, I just wouldn't be surprised by it given that he's been working out with the guys and his past with the club.