Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 roster predictions

Old
01-10-2013, 04:54 PM
Sean Garrity
Shut up and Dance!

vCash: 500
If they bring Gibson in as the #2 I'm gonna send Murray a very very nasty email.

Sean Garrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 05:00 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
I say that's a maybe. It sure isn't impossible. He arguably plays an adult pro game at this point, but he better step up his WJC game. He wasn't too keen to share the puck.
There's a reason why the WJCs isn't the best place to get a full evaluation of a player.

I didn't say it was a certainty.

Exit Dose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 05:16 PM
DuckJet
Poster of the Year

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
There's a reason why the WJCs isn't the best place to get a full evaluation of a player.

I didn't say it was a certainty.
I didn't say that you did. I'm just adding to the point. My question is where do we put him if he earns the spot? Only way that makes sense for his development is the third line

DuckJet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 05:20 PM
Exit Dose

It's a shame that we won't have any pre-season games. It'd be nice to see how the guys that don't make the team fit in at the moment.

Old
01-10-2013, 05:39 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
Neither would I. His defensive talents make him a candidate to sneak in. The same might be true for Wagner, too.
I don't doubt that Rakell could play in the NHL right now but IMO he's far better off playing huge minutes in Plymouth where he gets PP time and top offensive minutes as opposed to playing 7-10 minutes a night in the NHL where he'll get very few chances to work on his offensive game.

That was my biggest problem with having DSP up last season - he could have spent the year 25 minutes a game playing in all situations and developing his offensive game but for some reason Murray insisted on keeping him up to give him 3rd - 4th line minutes with very little PP time.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 05:41 PM
Exit Dose

We've had that argument before. We'll have to agree to disagree on that one.

I think if you saw DSP play with Mississauga it would stand out that there wasn't a deep offensive game to develop there.

Old
01-10-2013, 06:38 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by snarktacular View Post
I don't really see a lockout camp as providing much insight into a normal pro camp. I guess it's still something, but if I were a GM I wouldn't factor that in at all.

Gibson is an interesting case. I think he's actually deserving of attending according to the depth chart. I think he could even make a case for #2. However that's still not really worth it to me. Long term he's probably better off in juniors than being the #2. I don't think I would invite him to camp if I were GM.
I wouldn't either. I understand rewarding him, and I'd make an attempt to let him know that the organization is thrilled with the way things are going, but he should stay in Kitchener. Not to mention, think of the travel he's already been through recently. Bringing him to Anaheim for a week... is it really worth it?

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 07:48 PM
Eddie Shack
Bamboo Harvester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
I wouldn't either. I understand rewarding him, and I'd make an attempt to let him know that the organization is thrilled with the way things are going, but he should stay in Kitchener. Not to mention, think of the travel he's already been through recently. Bringing him to Anaheim for a week... is it really worth it?
Well, if nothing else it can't hurt to give him a taste of big league travel, especially for a west coast team.

Eddie Shack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 08:22 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Shack View Post
Well, if nothing else it can't hurt to give him a taste of big league travel, especially for a west coast team.
Wouldn't he get plenty of travel experience in the OHL? For all the travel NHL players do(especially the ones on the West Coast), they travel a lot more comfortably than he would in the OHL with Kitchener.

I mean, okay, giving him a good look at the organization, the perks, the appeal of living in California, and basically giving him a good look at what his future will look like is all well and good. He's earned it. I'm not denying that. I just don't like the timing. He's already got 30+ games with Kitchener this season, he just finished a tough tournament in Russia, and we're bringing him here for a week-long training camp with every intention of sending him back to Kitchener. Not that I think Gibson will complain at all, and I'm sure he'll love the experience, I'm just not sure there is much point to it. Any other training camp, and I'd understand, but a shortened lockout training camp, mid-season, and just after the WJC's... I just think letting him settle back in with Kitchener is a better move. That's just me.

Old
01-10-2013, 08:26 PM
Corey Perry*

What if we gave Gibson a game? I don't see the harm in that if we're going to be bringing him in anyways.

Corey Perry* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 08:27 PM
Exit Dose

His backup in Kitchener is pretty good. They can do without for a few days. Who knows, maybe he shows up and kills it to such an extent that we have no choice but to keep him. I just fail to see a downside to letting him spend a few days in camp.

Old
01-10-2013, 08:30 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampeus View Post
What if we gave Gibson a game? I don't see the harm in that if we're going to be bringing him in anyways.
There could be a lot of harm, if he isn't ready.

Old
01-10-2013, 08:33 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

The players who will actually be playing need ALL the practice time. There's no margin for error and no time to play around figuring lines out because you have a bunch of extra bodies who won't be on the team sucking time from those who will. Same thing giving them games - you need your best players in. There's no reason to think that includes any of the prospects.

Ducks DVM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 08:33 PM
Corey Perry*

Quote:
There could be a lot of harm, if he isn't ready.
How so? (as long as we returned him to Kitchener if he isn't ready (which is probably very likely))

Old
01-10-2013, 08:36 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
How so?
Imagine if Gibson gets lit up in the game. He's never faced the shooters he'd face in an NHL game. A goaltender can very easily lose a game for his team, and there is a lot on the shoulders of an NHL goalie. That type of thing can really hurt the confidence of a young man.

In Gibson's case, I would consider the chances small, because he's shown great mental strength, but throwing a young kid like that to the wolves can be damaging.

Old
01-10-2013, 08:37 PM
PuqTalk
@PuqOT on Twitter

Quote:
Imagine if Gibson gets lit up in the game. He's never faced the shooters he'd face in an NHL game. A goaltender can very easily lose a game for his team, and there is a lot on the shoulders of an NHL goalie. That type of thing can really hurt the confidence of a young man.

In Gibson's case, I would consider the chances small, because he's shown great mental strength, but throwing a young kid like that to the wolves can be damaging.
Why are we even over-analyzing the possibility of this situation? If Gibson isn't ready, he won't make it out of this short camp. I'd imagine nothing has "really" changed from Eric Stephens' first report - Fasth is the penciled in backup.

PuqTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 08:40 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuqTalk View Post
Why are we even over-analyzing the possibility of this situation? If Gibson isn't ready, he won't make it out of this short camp. I'd imagine nothing has "really" changed from Eric Stephens' first report - Fasth is the penciled in backup.
...because Hampeus asked a question?

Old
01-10-2013, 08:42 PM
AngelDuck
Keith MF Richards

How about these lines

Palmieri-Getzlaf-Perry
Ryan-Holland-Selanne
Winnik-Koivu-Cogliano
Beleskey-Bonino-DSP

I think that would be the best bottom 6 group we've had in a while, potentially. Winnik and Koivu I'm expecting to be excellent bottom 6 players next year, and Beleskey, Bonino, and DSP will all have had another year of devlopment, so they should be improved, at least a little. Cogliano is Cogliano.

As for the top 6, I kinda like it, and I kinda don't. I like the fact that there's good talent, and also good potential, but I don't like the two rookie thing.

AngelDuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 08:43 PM
Corey Perry*

Quote:

That's the thing, I feel Gibson wouldn't be affected by a loss of confidence. It's a different circumstance since it's mid-season, and he's just coming off of a brilliant WJC performance. I don't think you can hurt his confidence that much when it's so high.

Not that I think it's a good idea for him or the team, I just don't see the harm in it for the player, in this situation.

Old
01-10-2013, 08:43 PM
Eddie Shack
Bamboo Harvester

Bringing him to camp is fine. There is always a need for goaltenders in camp. Since there are no preseason games he needs to go back after camp. Seven days will not prove anything to anybody. It would be a huge stretch for him to make the team with a full camp which we don't have.

No possible good can from from having him play an NHL game now. He won't win a job. He's not going to stay. Let him continue progressing as he has. He seems to be on a perfect path right now. Let's not mess it up.

Eddie Shack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 08:47 PM
Corey Perry*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelDuck View Post
How about these lines

Palmieri-Getzlaf-Perry
Ryan-Holland-Selanne
Winnik-Koivu-Cogliano
Beleskey-Bonino-DSP
I like the bottom six a lot, and that could be a very good forwards corps if we only had a good 2C and another top 6 LW. Hopefully Holland and Palmieri can work....

Old
01-10-2013, 08:59 PM
RPGrizzly

Quote:

He did play in a preseason game last year, letting in 3 goals on 17 shots. So he has already faced NHL shooters. It would be a bad idea to have him play a regular season game, especially with every game meaning more this season, and it's not as if we have anything close to a goaltending problem. Management will do what is right for him. He has a contract with the Ducks and if they want him to come to camp just to see how he's progressed, it's just part of his job. I agree, seriously doubt he will play any games for us.

RPGrizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 09:13 PM
Phion Keneuf
Bang Bang

think selanne will still dominate.. let me know asap ... im OTC in a fantasy draft

Phion Keneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 09:27 PM
2faded

Quote:
Well, it's a 48 game season. It could matter a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks DVM View Post
The players who will actually be playing need ALL the practice time. There's no margin for error and no time to play around figuring lines out because you have a bunch of extra bodies who won't be on the team sucking time from those who will. Same thing giving them games - you need your best players in. There's no reason to think that includes any of the prospects.
With so many new players coming in, you know what Carlyle would be doing...juggling lines like crazy. So here's the situation for BB:

Do you juggle the lines until you find chemistry? By the time you find it, it may be too late.

Or, do you pick a lineup early and ride it out hoping the chemistry develops? But, the chemistry may never develop.

2faded is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 09:27 PM
Gibson Les Palms
ImperiumDuckusSacrum

A safe bet for Teemu is probably somewhere in the mid 30s.

Gibson Les Palms is offline   Reply With Quote