Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by quentez View Post
Through waivers to enter camp?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckstudd269 View Post
Why would we send them down so quick? That doesn't make any sense at all?
Unless I'm forgetting something, they just have to clear waivers when being called up. A lot of guys in those situations today, I'd assume.

EDIT: Huh. Maybe not that many.

Vipers31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 01:46 PM
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White

Tentative booo.

Spicy Porkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 01:53 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipers31 View Post
Unless I'm forgetting something, they just have to clear waivers when being called up. A lot of guys in those situations today, I'd assume.

EDIT: Huh. Maybe not that many.
So getting rid of reentry waivers just means you don't have to pay half the salary, but there's still waivers to deal with.

Ducks DVM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 01:55 PM
quentez
#8 Teemu Legend

So Smaby is going to camp as well.

quentez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 01:58 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks DVM View Post
So getting rid of reentry waivers just means you don't have to pay half the salary, but there's still waivers to deal with.
I'd guess so. Couldn't make sense off those guys hitting waivers, otherwise. And if they have to hit waivers, anyway, this is probably the time to sneak them through, as clubs are still looking to start camp and see what their guys can do.

Vipers31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 02:54 PM
DuckJet
I love Monabae

vCash: 69
I'm gonna go ahead and guess that the one of the AHL's top scorers last year won't be clearing waivers.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 02:57 PM
AngelDuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
I'm gonna go ahead and guess that the one of the AHL's top scorers last year won't be clearing waivers.
I'm kinda mad about Maroon being put on waivers. Less competition isn't a good thing

AngelDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 03:04 PM
Lord Flashheart
Squadron Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelDuck View Post
I'm kinda mad about Maroon being put on waivers. Less competition isn't a good thing
He's not exempt from waivers anymore.

Lord Flashheart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 03:13 PM
JabbaJabba

Hmm what? Are they seriously trying to get rid of Maroon and Guenin? WTF?

JabbaJabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 03:17 PM
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White

No, they are trying to get them in camp.

Old
01-13-2013, 03:26 PM
Paul4587

I'm not sure why anyone is surprised, normal waiver rules are the same it's just re-entry waivers that don't apply. Maroon and Guenin both had to clear last season too.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 03:30 PM
JabbaJabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
I'm not sure why anyone is surprised, normal waiver rules are the same it's just re-entry waivers that don't apply. Maroon and Guenin both had to clear last season too.
Well sorry if I was surprised. I never learnt how these stupid ass waiver rules even work.

JabbaJabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 03:34 PM
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
People (like me) are surprised because we're not used to seeing players have to clear waivers just to show up to camp. Normally you only worry about it at the end.

Old
01-13-2013, 03:39 PM
Paul4587

Sorry I didn't mean to sound like a dick or anything. I agree that waiver rules are confusing as hell.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 04:05 PM
RPGrizzly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn Skippy View Post
People (like me) are surprised because we're not used to seeing players have to clear waivers just to show up to camp. Normally you only worry about it at the end.
This is probably because the waiver period doesn't start until something like 2 weeks before the first game of the regular season. Camp usually starts a little before that date, so you see guys that are waiver eligible brought up before waivers start, and if they get sent down after the waiver window opens, are subject to the process. Of course with the season starting in such a hurry, and one week for teams to get their rosters set, things are different. We jumped right into the waiver window, so those eligible must clear before they get called up. The good news is that if guys like Maroon and Guenin clear, they won't need to go through waivers to be sent down after camp, as they are exempt for 30 days.

I was just confused after hearing all about re-entry waivers being thrown out the window. Guess it only applies to the financial aspect, no more being responsible for 50% if the player is claimed.

RPGrizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 04:12 PM
DuckJet
I love Monabae

vCash: 69
Stephens: Ducks GM Bob Murray calls it "priority" to re-sign Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry. Said he'll meet directly w/both agents soon.

Woods: Justin Schultz loophole NOT addressed in new CBA. unbelieveable.

Murray: "They've been Anaheim Ducks. I love those guys. They’re winners. I’m going to do everything in my power to sign them (Getzlaf and Perry)."

Last edited by DuckJet: 01-13-2013 at 04:23 PM.
DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 04:16 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

The other possibility is that they are just putting them through waivers NOW so they can send them down AFTER camp. This way, other teams don't know what they have at camp yet and can't snap them up without risk. Remember they can be reassigned for something like a month or 10 (?) games after being put through waivers. This could just be a tactical decision by management - seems like a smart move if so.

Old
01-13-2013, 04:21 PM
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks DVM View Post
The other possibility is that they are just putting them through waivers NOW so they can send them down AFTER camp. This way, other teams don't know what they have at camp yet and can't snap them up without risk. Remember they can be reassigned for something like a month or 10 (?) games after being put through waivers. This could just be a tactical decision by management - seems like a smart move if so.
Maybe I don't understand what you're saying or I don't understand waivers - but, in order to see them in camp, didn't they have to waive them now? They'd have been immune from waivers when camp ends regardless (I think).

Unless you're suggesting that management could otherwise have done without the camp evaluation and are just pre-empting a later waiver grab?

Old
01-13-2013, 04:28 PM
Static

Send a message via AIM to Static
They have to clear waivers to come up, that's all this is. I don't see Maroon getting claimed because he'd have to spend the rest of the season on the claiming team's NHL roster. Maybe he gets claimed just to get a look, but I'd be surprised if that happens and Anaheim doesn't have an opportunity to re-claim him relatively soon.

Static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 04:43 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn Skippy View Post
Maybe I don't understand what you're saying or I don't understand waivers - but, in order to see them in camp, didn't they have to waive them now? They'd have been immune from waivers when camp ends regardless (I think).

Unless you're suggesting that management could otherwise have done without the camp evaluation and are just pre-empting a later waiver grab?
They used to have to clear re-entry waivers to come back up from the AHL, but for training camp purposes were on the team and did NOT have to come back up. All we know is that they got rid of re-entry waivers, but we not know if that means just the financial penalties (pay half of the salary) or re-entry waivers entirely. So there are two possibilities.

1- they only removed the financial penalty for re-entry waivers, and they still have to pass through a waiver period to be recalled to the NHL. This also requires the NHL to have changed all sorts of other rules to make sense for the shortened season but not to make sure that everyone with an NHL contract starts the NHL season ON the NHL roster. Stupid if so, but entirely believable for this pack of idiots.

2 - either they ARE on the NHL roster and/or there actually are no re-entry waivers, but they still have to go through waivers to go back down to the AHL. There is a grace period with waivers, once a player goes through them you do NOT have to send them down to the AHL immediately. By putting them through waivers now, the Ducks are hedging their bets that other teams would prefer to evaluate their own players first - if they wait until the end of camp teams will have identified their holes and be more likely to make waiver wire acquisitions.

I'm not saying #2 is the case but its certainly plausible.

Old
01-13-2013, 04:44 PM
Kalvinators
hurrr-durrr

Edmonton could pick someone up from our wavers, for our relationships sake :sarcam:
I really do believe Murray knows what he is doing. C`mon - other teams will pick up their players too who have to clear wavers - there has to be an unoficcial agreement or something.

Kalvinators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 04:56 PM
Exit Dose

Maybe they felt it was safe after Carolina made their trade.

Exit Dose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 05:01 PM
Kalvinators
hurrr-durrr

they knew they had to do it before, that`s why the players weren`t playing last night

Kalvinators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 05:08 PM
Exit Dose

Huh?

Exit Dose is online now   Reply With Quote