HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Luongo Thread - Scorcher 6: Global Meltdown (Mod Warning Post # 694)

Closed Thread

Old
09-04-2012, 10:11 PM
kanuck87

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProspectProphet View Post
Call me crazy, but shouldn't a 33-year-old goalie, that sits 2nd in wins among current NHLers, be able to say " I want to start"?
No honesty allowed.

Old
09-04-2012, 10:27 PM
Taco Fingerhat

vCash: 3754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp Kassian View Post
Lu needs to shutup and stick to tweeting about crapping.
He's entitled to speak his mind, but he's not making Gillis' job any easier by opening his mouth. Since he's Canuck property, I really would've preferred if he remained silent on the issue out of respect for the club. But I can't blame him as he's always been an emotional dude.

Old
09-04-2012, 10:28 PM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindgren View Post
You're eminently sane. It would be weird if he said anything different. Even if he had said "I deserve to start" it would be hard to criticize him, but he didn't say that. His comment is obvious and uncontroversial.
Exactly.

And if he had any other name than Luongo (even Medvenichesky or something) he would be applauded by wanting to go somewhere where he can start and win games instead of being happy with doing a 40-45 split and cashing in.

Old
09-04-2012, 10:29 PM
Jyrki21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
Yahtzee! I was going for "absurd sequel" title, and thought it was fitting in more than a few ways.
Electric Bugaloo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanuck87 View Post
No honesty allowed.
Not for Luongo, anyway.

Reporter: Tim Thomas, what would you like to do if you win the Cup?
Thomas: Probably tour the country, just take some time to seeing the heartland, rid it of gays, etc.
Headline: Patriotic Thomas would bask in championship glow

Reporter: Roberto Luongo, what do you think of Thomas' game?
Luongo: Well he's been outstanding, obviously he has kept the team in every game. I wouldn't want to speculate on the final result of this series, but both of us want to be champions, both me and him.
Next day's quote: "Luongo: 'I wouldn't want ... to ... be [Thomas]'"

Old
09-04-2012, 10:39 PM
Canucker

Lu said nothing controversial, nor anything that diminishes his value...it's been pretty common knowledge that Florida is Luongo's first choice, but he's never said it "has to be", nor anything resembling that.

Old
09-04-2012, 10:54 PM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyrki21 View Post
Electric Bugaloo?

Not for Luongo, anyway.

Thomas: Probably tour the country, just take some time to seeing the heartland, rid it of gays, etc.

Luongo: Well he's been outstanding, obviously he has kept the team in every game. I wouldn't want to speculate on the final result of this series, but both of us want to be champions, both me and him.
I mean, just look at the whole tire pumping thing:

Luongo: That's an easy save for me, I play deeper wheereas Thomas plays farther out. He'll make some saves I don't, etc. etc.
Headline: "That's an easy save for me", what arrogance!

Old
09-04-2012, 11:03 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Electric Bugaloo?

Not for Luongo, anyway.

Sad but so very very true. What's even worse is people actually buy in to this ********.

09-04-2012, 11:24 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post

Sad but so very very true. What's even worse is people actually buy in to this ********.
The power of the media. They can't outright lie, but they can bend the truth to what they want you to hear.

Old
09-04-2012, 11:44 PM
palefire

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyC View Post
I mean, just look at the whole tire pumping thing:

Luongo: That's an easy save for me, I play deeper wheereas Thomas plays farther out. He'll make some saves I don't, etc. etc.
Headline: "That's an easy save for me", what arrogance!
That extra context, you didn't build that!

Old
09-05-2012, 12:01 AM
vadim sharifijanov

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineRays View Post
Although he's not really saying anything new, I'd be nice if he'd stop using the media to stir things up. I don't think that's his intention, but it's the result. Every time.

Canucks players are starting to filter back to Vancouver. I'm wondering how awkward he's going to feel looking his teammates in the eye after all his comments this summer - knowing there's a good chance he'll be on the roster next yr. Last 2-3 yrs, many Canucks players have talked about the need for them to 'play their role'. That many players could sign elsewhere and play bigger roles, but they don't cause it's why they're a good team. They accept their role and are happy with it. Yet Luongo (with his $45+ M contract) is essentially taking a very different path: "Obviously, I want to start. That's a given." Not sure this will sit well with some teammates.
as evidenced by the last bunch of posts, we've had enough of national media putting words into luongo's mouth and hysterically misrepresenting what he says. do we have to do it too?

"obviously, i want to start. that's a given." means: will you guys please stop asking me if i want to be a starter to try to goad me into making demands or saying something stupid? i'm not saying i demand to start. i'm not saying i refuse to back up cory or be in a tandem. but of course i want to be a starter. what the hell kind of goalie doesn't want to start?

"This (Florida) is a preferred location for obvious reasons but I'm not shutting the door on other possibilities...." means: exactly what it says. he has a preference. he will not force the issue. i.e., it's not an issue.

if he's still here this season and there is a season, it'll be an awkward no matter what. but nothing he has said this summer has made the situation worse between him or his teammates. he's done nothing but praise cory, talk about how much he's enjoyed his time in vancouver, and talk about how it's not his decision and he'll let gillis do what gillis thinks is the right move for the team.

Old
09-05-2012, 12:08 AM
rdawg1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Markstrom is far from a sure thing. It's an incredibly difficult transition from the AHL to the NHL for goaltenders, and he's had a lot of health problems. I doubt Tallon is willing to stake his future in Florida on a kid that, while very talented, has proven nothing at the NHL level and hasn't even been able to carry a starter's workload in the minors to this point in his career.
He's still very promising and Florida is a smaller market that has to also consider financial problems as well and Luongo is a potential financial problem in the future.

Florida isn't a BAD fit for a trade, just not ideal and I don't think Florida is crazy about making this happen. I think they're interested, but not dying to get it done.

It's not a bad thing to have Theodore for a bit and a promising goalie prospect in markstrom. Theodore will still be solid for another year, Markstrom can get some call-ups and then transition to the starting role within 2-3 years.

Chicago and Toronto are in much more of a dire need for goaltending, neither really have a top-end goalie prospect or up and comer.

Plus personally for Luongo's sake, I think Florida gives him the least possible chance of winning a cup, they're pretty weak offensively.

Old
09-05-2012, 12:35 AM
Royal Canuck
Go Jamie Benn!

vCash: 50
The Islanders could also use a goalie. Sure they have Nabokov and Dipietro but Nabby is 37 and Rick is made of glass. they're only young goalie is Nathan Lawson who hasn't shown much promise.

Twitter | HFBoards Contact | Youtube | Instagram| Blog
Xbox Live Gamertag: "CxC Canuck"
"Everybody says be a good loser; I think if you're a good loser, you're a loser. " - John Tortorella
Old
09-05-2012, 12:41 AM
RECsGuy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Wiggum View Post
The Islanders could also use a goalie. Sure they have Nabokov and Dipietro but Nabby is 37 and Rick is made of glass. they're only young goalie is Nathan Lawson who hasn't shown much promise.
Nilsson? Poulin? Koskinen?

Old
09-05-2012, 12:42 AM
Edonator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp Kassian View Post
Lu needs to shutup and stick to tweeting about crapping.
He's done enough for both franchises to say whatever the **** he wants to.

Old
09-05-2012, 12:59 AM
SunshineRays

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
as evidenced by the last bunch of posts, we've had enough of national media putting words into luongo's mouth and hysterically misrepresenting what he says. do we have to do it too?

"obviously, i want to start. that's a given." means: will you guys please stop asking me if i want to be a starter to try to goad me into making demands or saying something stupid? i'm not saying i demand to start. i'm not saying i refuse to back up cory or be in a tandem. but of course i want to be a starter. what the hell kind of goalie doesn't want to start?

"This (Florida) is a preferred location for obvious reasons but I'm not shutting the door on other possibilities...." means: exactly what it says. he has a preference. he will not force the issue. i.e., it's not an issue.

if he's still here this season and there is a season, it'll be an awkward no matter what. but nothing he has said this summer has made the situation worse between him or his teammates. he's done nothing but praise cory, talk about how much he's enjoyed his time in vancouver, and talk about how it's not his decision and he'll let gillis do what gillis thinks is the right move for the team.
Considering I didn't put words in his mouth, I'm not sure what you're talking about. I used his quote (not mine) and posed a question based on his comment. The Canucks are a uniquely structured team, I wondered if his comments (from his mouth) might leave him in a precarious situation with his teammates due to that uniqueness. I didn't say he in fact was, I asked the question. It was more to stimulate a discussion vs. this usual putting words into other posters mouths. Then somehow turning into a "you hate Luongo" or "why must you bash Luongo" type positional statements. Can one not look at this situation from a rational prospective and ask 'well what if this is an issue', or 'what happens if'.

Old
09-05-2012, 01:20 AM
YogiCanucks

Bjugstad.

Old
09-05-2012, 01:55 AM
CanucksOo

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiCanucks View Post
Bjugstad.
Every page Yogi. Really?

Old
09-05-2012, 02:48 AM
Hollywood Burrows

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiCanucks View Post
Bjugstad.
how about we all agree not to make anymore posts about this until lu gets traded?

Old
09-05-2012, 03:00 AM
Bgav
We Stylin'

vCash: 1752
Bjugstad

Old
09-05-2012, 09:31 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Markstrom is far from a sure thing. It's an incredibly difficult transition from the AHL to the NHL for goaltenders, and he's had a lot of health problems. I doubt Tallon is willing to stake his future in Florida on a kid that, while very talented, has proven nothing at the NHL level and hasn't even been able to carry a starter's workload in the minors to this point in his career.
Hes also had 2 knee surgeries no?

Old
09-05-2012, 09:49 AM
vadim sharifijanov

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineRays View Post
Considering I didn't put words in his mouth, I'm not sure what you're talking about. I used his quote (not mine) and posed a question based on his comment. The Canucks are a uniquely structured team, I wondered if his comments (from his mouth) might leave him in a precarious situation with his teammates due to that uniqueness. I didn't say he in fact was, I asked the question. It was more to stimulate a discussion vs. this usual putting words into other posters mouths. Then somehow turning into a "you hate Luongo" or "why must you bash Luongo" type positional statements. Can one not look at this situation from a rational prospective and ask 'well what if this is an issue', or 'what happens if'.
to answer your question then, no. i don't think so. i don't believe his teammates will put words in his mouth either.

Old
09-05-2012, 11:26 AM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Electric Bugaloo?
Electric Bjugstadaloo might have some merit.

Old
09-05-2012, 12:21 PM
Andy Dufresne

What good could ever come from an athlete being honest with the media? They haven't earned it and don't deserve it, a significant portion of them are in almost every single way the equivelent of a 16 year old HF boards Oiler fan. Why give them anything, at all. Seriously somebody should send Luongo a copy of Bull Durham. "I'm just here practicing and, the good lord willing, everything will work out" should have done the trick. Luongo is clearly one athlete who will not be entering politics at the end of his career.

Old
09-05-2012, 12:48 PM
Szechwan
Plug Life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
Electric Bjugstadaloo might have some merit.
Electric BjugstadforLu

Old
09-05-2012, 12:56 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
I really wish Mike Milbury was still the GM in New York..we'd probably be able to acquire John Tavares for Luongo

Closed Thread