HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Luongo Thread - Scorcher 6: Global Meltdown (Mod Warning Post # 694)

Closed Thread

Old
09-05-2012, 03:05 PM
NeoCanuck

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to NeoCanuck Send a message via MSN to NeoCanuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Szechwan View Post
Electric BjugstadforLu

Andddddd we have a winner.

Old
09-05-2012, 03:43 PM
thedavid

vCash: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Wiggum View Post
The Islanders could also use a goalie. Sure they have Nabokov and Dipietro but Nabby is 37 and Rick is made of glass. they're only young goalie is Nathan Lawson who hasn't shown much promise.
At 28, I don't know that I would call Lawson young...regardless, he hasn't been with the Islanders since July 2011.

Old
09-05-2012, 04:21 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
There is no reason to trade him unless we get something that fills our needs.
This is clearly a Heatley situation, with slightly better manners. If we don't trade him, we risk seriously screwing with the locker room.

I can accept there is an argument to be made that it's worth the risk - but I personally don't believe that's the case.

Old
09-05-2012, 04:27 PM
JuniorNelson

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
This is clearly a Heatley situation, with slightly better manners. If we don't trade him, we risk seriously screwing with the locker room.

I can accept there is an argument to be made that it's worth the risk - but I personally don't believe that's the case.
When did Luongo do anything to deserve this? A Heatly comparison?! Absurd.

Old
09-05-2012, 04:42 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:

How is this anything like the Heatley situation?

09-05-2012, 05:03 PM
Scurr

I'd be really interested to know how Luongo would feel about being traded for a pile of crap. Would he rather stay with the team and prove his worth (one more time) or get traded for Komisarek and a 2nd? Something tells me that Lu will not force Gillis to trade him for a bag of pucks, he's too proud for that.

I think it's a moot point anyway. I just can't believe that Luongo isn't the kind of person and player that a GM would give up something for. I don't think anyone is going to sell the farm but Gillis is going to get reasonable offers before the season starts, if he hasn't already.

Old
09-05-2012, 05:05 PM
dave babych returns

The poster in question clearly does not want to be taken seriously.

I suppose you could stretch things to imply that neither Heatley nor Luongo were in the role they wanted for their team and wanted out as a result, however "with better manners" means everything in situations like this. Luongo is a class act and Heatley is a selfish dunce, if I had to start the season with one of them on my team (knowing they wouldn't be there forever), I know which one I'd take. Moreover, with one still an elite player on his position and the other putting up half decent numbers for a second rate player (while remaining one of the most expensive in the league), it's no question who represents more value to a team. Let alone their vastly different cap hits.

Old
09-05-2012, 05:12 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:

I keep seeing people say this & wonder why people think this way. Luongo has been with the core of this group for 6 years, I doubt he would act like a prima donna all of a sudden & I doubt they would let him.

Old
09-05-2012, 05:22 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
How is this anything like the Heatley situation?
Star player on huge contract demanding trade.

Publicly.

Repeatedly.

How is it NOT a Heatley situation?

Old
09-05-2012, 05:23 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine17 View Post
I keep seeing people say this & wonder why people think this way.
It's like asking your girlfriend if it's ok if your ex-girlfriend crashes for the long weekend.

Might be innocent.

Might not be.

I don't think it's a GIVEN that there would be a problem - I do however believe there is a significant risk.

Old
09-05-2012, 05:24 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine17 View Post
I keep seeing people say this & wonder why people think this way. Luongo has been with the core of this group for 6 years, I doubt he would act like a prima donna all of a sudden & I doubt they would let him.
He's also developed a friendship with Schneider who just happened to be about the best teammate he could possibly be as Lu's backup.

Old
09-05-2012, 05:25 PM
MAGICMAN1963

I dont think a trade will work with Florida because J Theodore has a NTC,and has stated he wants to stay.Unless they can work as 1a and 1b for the year untill Theodore becomes a ufa.If a deal with Florida happens i hope we get 1 of Kulikov or Gudbranson .Seems with all the Florida trades we have made ,we should just change our team name to the West Coast Panthers.

Old
09-05-2012, 05:25 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave babych returns View Post
Luongo is a class act...
A class act would not be making public statements about wanting a trade, the day after the playoffs ended. And then repeating the sentiment numerous times over the course of the summer. A class act would not be going on the radio saying "it's time to move on". Those are things a Heatley would do.

Although, come to think of it, I'm not sure even Heatley went as far as Luongo has gone.

Old
09-05-2012, 05:57 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
It's like asking your girlfriend if it's ok if your ex-girlfriend crashes for the long weekend.

Might be innocent.

Might not be.

I don't think it's a GIVEN that there would be a problem - I do however believe there is a significant risk.
Only risk I see is that the media blows things out of proportion & consistently try to make news out of nothing when it comes to Luongo/Schneider. As far as in the room I would imagine Luongo would be the perfect teammate.

Quote:
A class act would not be making public statements about wanting a trade, the day after the playoffs ended. And then repeating the sentiment numerous times over the course of the summer. A class act would not be going on the radio saying "it's time to move on". Those are things a Heatley would do.

Although, come to think of it, I'm not sure even Heatley went as far as Luongo has gone.
to pretty much all of this. Comparing him to Heatley....

When did he wanted a trade after the playoffs were done? I only remember him saying he would do whatever is best for the team. God what an un-classy individual

Old
09-05-2012, 06:09 PM
timorousme
luongod

Quote:

Publicly.

Repeatedly.

because unless you twist it like you did for reactionary purposes, it's not.

stop sensationalizing.

Old
09-05-2012, 06:21 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by timorousme View Post
stop sensationalizing.
IOW...

"It's time to move on."

Or if you prefer...

"It's really time to move on."

Or better yet.

"But I think we all know what's going on. We've all seen what's developed. At the end of the day, I think it's time to move on."

Old
09-05-2012, 06:21 PM
gobi

I am no Luongo supporter but when did Luongo demand a trade? Right after the playoffs, Luongo was asked about being traded and he said he would be open to a trade if it helps out the team. That's a far cry from demanding a trade or any resemblance to a Heatley situation.

Last edited by gobi: 09-05-2012 at 06:34 PM.
Old
09-05-2012, 06:29 PM
kanuck87

Quote:

Publicly.

Repeatedly.

Because Luongo is willing to return to the Canucks if he's the clear #1, and Heatley would not go back to Ottawa under any circumstances.

Another thing, Luongo isn't the one that created this mess. It's on Gillis for not having found a trade partner yet after 2 months even though he explicitly knew keeping 2 goalies would cause problems, as it is showing right now. If you're Luongo, why wouldn't you groan about that? The last thing he wants is to be a back-up goalie, and imo, he shouldn't have to be. Neither should he have to compete for a #1 job. There are so many other teams that don't have nearly as good of a goalie as Luongo.

Gillis should show Luongo some respect and trade him before the season starts. Do what's best for the team, and also what's best for Luongo. Aren't we suppose to be a world-class organization?

Old
09-05-2012, 06:53 PM
vadim sharifijanov

Quote:

at first i was willing to defend this. i was going to say, "you guys are misinterpreting what dado is saying. he means a heatley situation in that the guy's role has changed on the team and if they don't trade him it's probably going to be a distraction." which is true. "he doesn't mean that luongo has demanded a trade or that he's forcing gillis' hand." which he hasn't done.

but then you clarified.

Quote:

Publicly.

Repeatedly.

"i think it's time to move on and i'm okay with that" is not a trade demand. "never say never, but I think we all know what’s going on, we’ve all seen what’s developed" is not a trade demand. it's an acknowledgement that certain things have transpired and certain decisions have been made by the team that indicate they're going to trade him.

Old
09-05-2012, 06:58 PM
mriswith

Quote:

Luongo certainly did not ask for a trade "the day after the playoffs".

You're skewing what actually happened to fit your ideology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag925 View Post
You're right, Canucks fans, explicitly demanding a trade and repeating time and again that "it's time to move on" are not even in the same realm.

Keep playing dumb, folks.
"Time and time again"

The issue isn't whether he's asked for a trade. It's been clear even before last years season started that either Schneider or Luongo was on their way out. Turns out it's Luongo.

The issue is that people think there will be a huge rift, or locker room distraction - as if somehow Luongo is going to turn into a huge prima donna after 6 years of being a great teammate, leader and locker room presence.

This is, quite frankly, B.S. As always, the media is trying to stir up a Luongo controversy when there is none. If a decent deal can't be made and both goalies are around to start the season there will be a 1a/1b platoon until a trade can be arranged.

Both goalies have so far been consummate professionals with the situation and I see no reason why that should change.

Last edited by mriswith: 09-05-2012 at 11:03 PM.
Old
09-05-2012, 07:04 PM
ddawg1950

Quote:

Publicly.

Repeatedly.

It has never been presented by anyone connected to Luongo or the Canucks that he has demanded a trade.

The similarity I do see is that the role of the star player changed and the player did not like it much. But I think how those similar situations have been handled by each player is a 180 degree difference.

Within Luongo's statement, I read that he recognizes these things take time and no one is becomming overwrought.

Old
09-05-2012, 08:48 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

I'm a visitor here so I will be polite.

A player of good team character doesn't come off,the panthers practice ice and outline why he wants to be traded here. He could of, and should have, said hi, kept going and went home to Gina. He purposely gave the interview, stirred the pot and dissed Gilles.

If you believe this conduct doesn't evidence what he will be like on the bench for you guys I don't know what does.

But hey. That's just my opinion.

Old
09-05-2012, 09:15 PM
ProstheticConscience
Seeing is believing

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
I'm a visitor here so I will be polite.

A player of good team character doesn't come off,the panthers practice ice and outline why he wants to be traded here. He could of, and should have, said hi, kept going and went home to Gina. He purposely gave the interview, stirred the pot and dissed Gilles.

If you believe this conduct doesn't evidence what he will be like on the bench for you guys I don't know what does.

But hey. That's just my opinion.
Hey great. Obviously he's got horrible character. There. You happy?

Old
09-05-2012, 09:19 PM
Dado

vCash:
This is an extraordinary depth of denial, even for us Canucks fans.

Ah well.

It will be what it will be.

Old
09-05-2012, 09:37 PM
Canucker

Quote:
This is an extraordinary depth of denial, even for us Canucks fans.

Ah well.

It will be what it will be.
I don't see any denial, I just see you fabricating a trade demand where there was none.

Closed Thread