HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Luongo Thread - Scorcher 6: Global Meltdown (Mod Warning Post # 694)

Closed Thread

Old
09-06-2012, 11:16 AM
I in the Eye

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg1950 View Post
Day after that "Luongo loves pork, disses Muslims."
Aint that the Ham of Truth! The media have carpet on their hearts...

* swear word... maybe NSFW - depending on where you work...

Old
09-06-2012, 12:15 PM
Liferleafer
Blow it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiCanucks View Post
This is false. Luongo doesn't want to 'play' for the Canucks. He wants to start for the Canucks. He wants to start anywhere he can. Period
He can start in TO...

Old
09-06-2012, 12:31 PM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Send a message via ICQ to Biggest Canuck Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
He can start in TO...
If Burke had any brains he would make the trade cause with Luongo the Leafs make it in. It is unreal really. It's not like goalies of that caliber fall into your lap or are developed... they either have the skillset or they don't.

IMO, Gardiner does not bring the Leafs to the playoffs, Luongo does. He also brings massive stability to a position that has been murder for the team. It is so much win for the Leafs, but Gardiner must be the next Bobby Orr.

Old
09-06-2012, 12:43 PM
bipolarhabfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGICMAN1963 View Post
I dont think a trade will work with Florida because J Theodore has a NTC,and has stated he wants to stay.Unless they can work as 1a and 1b for the year untill Theodore becomes a ufa.If a deal with Florida happens i hope we get 1 of Kulikov or Gudbranson .Seems with all the Florida trades we have made ,we should just change our team name to the West Coast Panthers.
I think it has taken this long to trade him because of the limited number of options the Canucks have; its basically Florida or bust. It does not seem like Luongo would like to go to Toronto even though they have a need for a goalie.

He has to be traded before training camp because it would be too awkward to have a teammate on the ice who wants out. Its not the way I would like to start a season.

Old
09-06-2012, 12:59 PM
I in the Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by bipolarhabfan View Post
I think it has taken this long to trade him because of the limited number of options the Canucks have; its basically Florida or bust. It does not seem like Luongo would like to go to Toronto even though they have a need for a goalie.

He has to be traded before training camp because it would be too awkward to have a teammate on the ice who wants out. Its not the way I would like to start a season.
The thing is though, if Florida isn't a viable destination (if Florida doesn't need or want a #1 upgrade on Theodore) then Gillis can't force Tallon to take Luongo... And if Florida is out of the picture, at what point does leaving Vancouver be a priority over a downgrade situation for Luongo and his family? There's still lots of attractive reasons for Luongo to play in Vancouver - for a while longer... An equal (or more) attractive situation than Vancouver might open up - and in the meantime, he gets to challenge for a cup (his career goal), with teammates who are friends, in a city he likes... I wish the teams in the market for Luongo were Tampa, Florida, Philly, Penguins, Washington (and the like), but they don't seem to be... At least one probably is, IMO, in the not too distant future (not necessarily from those teams I listed, that was just off the top of my head)... There's bound to be a more interested Florida (once Theodore heads towards becoming a free agent) and/or a playoff / cup contending team on the horizon who feels let down by goaltending - and looking for a franchise goaltender to get further into the playoffs / challenge for the cup - and, therefore, in a position to offer a nicer return... I don't see every team being satisfied with their #1 goaltending... There are bound to be a few teams looking for upgrades... A different mix of teams... Is it better for Luongo to wait a while longer on the Canucks, and wait for something equally good or better (team competitive wise plus need for #1 in a place his family would be comfortable) to come along, or is it better for Luongo to commit to Toronto (or the like) now?

While ever Florida is on the table, Vancouver is now a distant 2nd possibility, IMO (whereas not too long ago, I think Vancouver was clearly #1 choice for Luongo - with perhaps Florida being the 2nd favoured distant possibility)... If Florida is off the table (and it wouldn't surprise me if they were - being in a "we don't need him" situation), then I think Vancouver is probably right up there on Luongo's list... I don't think that Vancouver is at the bottom of Luongo's list now (no bad blood, etc.)... Just no longer at the top...

Last edited by I in the Eye: 09-06-2012 at 01:04 PM.
Old
09-06-2012, 01:06 PM
Liferleafer
Blow it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by I in the Eye View Post
The thing is though, if Florida isn't a viable destination (if Florida doesn't need or want a #1 upgrade on Theodore) then Gillis can't force Tallon to take Luongo... And if Florida is out of the picture, at what point does leaving Vancouver be a priority over a downgrade situation for Luongo and his family? There's still lots of attractive reasons for Luongo to play in Vancouver - for a while longer... An equal (or more) attractive situation than Vancouver might open up - and in the meantime, he gets to challenge for a cup (his career goal), with teammates who are friends, in a city he likes... I wish the teams in the market for Luongo were Tampa, Florida, Philly, Penguins, Washington (and the like), but they don't seem to be... At least one probably is, IMO, in the not too distant future (not necessarily from those teams I listed, that was just off the top of my head)... There's bound to be a more interested Florida (once Theodore heads towards becoming a free agent) and/or a playoff / cup contending team on the horizon who feels let down by goaltending - and looking for a franchise goaltender to get further into the playoffs / challenge for the cup - and, therefore, in a position to offer a nicer return... I don't see every team being satisfied with their #1 goaltending... There are bound to be a few teams looking for upgrades... A different mix of teams... Is it better for Luongo to wait a while longer on the Canucks, and wait for something equally good or better (team competitive wise plus need for #1 in a place his family would be comfortable) to come along, or is it better for Luongo to commit to Toronto (or the like) now?

While ever Florida is on the table, Vancouver is now a distant 2nd possibility, IMO (whereas not too long ago, I think Vancouver was clearly #1 choice for Luongo - with perhaps Florida being the 2nd favoured distant possibility)... If Florida is off the table (and it wouldn't surprise me if they were - being in a "we don't need him" situation), then I think Vancouver is probably right up there on Luongo's list... I don't think that Vancouver is at the bottom of Luongo's list now (no bad blood, etc.)... Just no longer at the top...
One question... if he stays in Van, who starts? Luongo may LIKE Van as a team and city, but he IS a starter. He isn't going to remain there to split/back up Cory.

Old
09-06-2012, 01:10 PM
I in the Eye

Quote:
One question... if he stays in Van, who starts? Luongo may LIKE Van as a team and city, but he IS a starter. He isn't going to remain there to split/back up Cory.
Not for the long term, both clearly can't stay... But who starts is whoever is playing better - or whoever is not injured... At the start of the year, the coaches seem to pencil in the rotation... Last year, as "backup", Schneider got some of the toughest games... I'm sure it can be done so that it can't even be visible who the "#1" or "#2" is - for a while... Once playoffs start though, ya... Who starts? It can work until Christmas (until Kesler comes back off LTIR) or until the trade deadline, IMO (maybe longer, it worked in the playoffs this year with both on the team - there were questions, it was uncomfortable, but the Canucks should have had a much longer run, IMO, with two #1 goalies, then they did - long story)... If Luongo is willing... and I think he would be "open" to it... Obviously, not thrilled... But if Luongo is a Canuck this year, IMO, it was because Florida just wasn't interested - or interested enough, because they didn't need him... Vancouver is still a good destination... Most veteran star players who are looking to leave are looking to go to better teams, or severely burned bridges with the team / management... Most veteran star players aren't looking to downgrade their current destination, IMO, with a team and in a city that they really like... Wouldn't it be putting ego ahead of your career and family goals? "I want to be the #1 at all costs! At the cost of my career... at the cost of my family's happiness!... I am leaving Vancouver, to anywhere, because they don't see me as clear #1!" Out of the teams allegedly interested, I only see Florida as an upgrade (in that his family would probably be most / better happy) - than they probably are now... Family content with Vancouver... Family loves Florida...

Last edited by I in the Eye: 09-06-2012 at 01:24 PM.
Old
09-06-2012, 01:11 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Let them duke it out. I think Luongo is good enough to win the starters job.

09-06-2012, 01:14 PM
kanuck87

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
What difference does it make to you? Neither goalie will lead us to the cup this upcoming season.

Old
09-06-2012, 01:26 PM
crazycanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanuck87 View Post
What difference does it make to you? Neither goalie will lead us to the cup this upcoming season.
Wow, someone needs some happy pills.

Both Schneider and Luongo have game stealing ability, and both are good enough to lead the Canucks as currently built to a deep playoff run.

The Canucks have holes but every team does, that's the reality of a salary cap league.

Old
09-06-2012, 01:27 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
Wow, someone needs some happy pills.

Both Schneider and Luongo have game stealing ability, and both are good enough to lead the Canucks as currently built to a deep playoff run.

The Canucks have holes but every team does, that's the reality of a salary cap league.
I think that was just a shot at Y2K, our resident pessimist.

Old
09-06-2012, 02:38 PM
lush
@jasonlush

I would be curious to see what Luongo's list of desired teams would be in order of preference (including staying in Vancouver as one item on the list) regardless of the interest those teams may or may not have in him.

So for example (this is not real):
  1. Florida
  2. Detroit
  3. Chicago
  4. Tampa Bay
  5. Boston
  6. Toronto

And on and on the list goes until you have his last choice, whether that is returning to Vancouver and competing for the starter job or some other team who knows.

Then you take the list of offers received for him from all teams and have Gillis rank those, keeping in mind some teams may obviously offer nothing because they are not remotely interested, other teams willing to negotiate, teams that gave soft no's etc.

Obviously we could never get this type of transparency into the eventual decision but I'm incredibly curious

Old
09-06-2012, 02:40 PM
kanuck87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
I think that was just a shot at Y2K, our resident pessimist.
Yes that's what it was. Thanks for pointing it out.

Old
09-06-2012, 02:40 PM
Lundface

Quote:
The only way he gets it back is if Cory falls apart, maybe gains 50 pounds in the offseason.

The only things Roberto has in his favour are experience (which is huge, and the only way I see him getting it back is if Schneider somehow buckles) and size.

The book is out on Luongo, and with the style the Canucks play he's too easy to exploit. With Cory it will be a little while before players can figure him out

LUONGO
1) Very weak downlow, so jam plays work very easily.
2) Deke him and watch him flop down to his stomach, lift it over his pad.
3) He's quite slow laterally and if he loses his net it takes him a while to get back to it, so move him side to side.

If Luongo plays infront of a defensive team these warts won't really show, as he will be protected ( see the old Canucks- where he looked invincible)

Old
09-06-2012, 02:42 PM
Vankiller Whale
Bow down

vCash: 1508
Quote:
Originally Posted by lush View Post
I would be curious to see what Luongo's list of desired teams would be in order of preference (including staying in Vancouver as one item on the list) regardless of the interest those teams may or may not have in him.

1. Florida
  2. Detroit
  3. Chicago
  4. Tampa Bay
  5. Boston
  6. Toronto

And on and on the list goes until you have his last choice, whether that is returning to Vancouver and competing for the starter job or some other team who knows.

Then you take the list of offers received for him from all teams and have Gillis rank those, keeping in mind some teams may obviously offer nothing because they are not remotely interested, other teams willing to negotiate, teams that gave soft no's etc.

Obviously we could never get this type of transparency into the eventual decision but I'm incredibly curious
There is no list. Or so they say...

I'd much rather just hear what each team has offered, and what Gillis is asking for right now.

Old
09-06-2012, 03:06 PM
Liferleafer
Blow it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lush View Post

1. Florida
  2. Detroit
  3. Chicago
  4. Tampa Bay
  5. Boston
  6. Toronto

Th ebolded are the only 2 IMO that have any serious interest.

Old
09-06-2012, 03:07 PM
Babs

Quote:
Th ebolded are the only 2 IMO that have any serious interest.
I Agreed but Chicago is not way outside the box.

Old
09-06-2012, 03:09 PM
I in the Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
There is no list. Or so they say...

I'd much rather just hear what each team has offered, and what Gillis is asking for right now.
There must be, at least, a mental list inside Luongo's and his agent's head... A list of who needs a legit #1 goalie now, and who may need it in the future... The new cba could change both mental lists, but they must be thinking about where Luongo could go... Obviously, they aren't allowed to talk directly with teams... So, the actual list of possible destinations will ultimately be what Gillis presents to them as the actual potential destination(s)...

I don't believe that Luongo submitted a list of teams to Gillis though, and I don't think that Gillis has presented a list of destinations to Luongo - which might even be a destination of 1 (best offer, good return)... I think Gillis is trying to send Lu to Florida and get a good return (which isn't the right time to get this)... If he can ultimately do this, good on him... It would be a feather in his cap for another GM of the Year award...

Old
09-06-2012, 03:36 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Get out the popcorn:

http://www.theprovince.com/touch/spo...tml?id=7201195

Old
09-06-2012, 04:34 PM
rdawg1234

Gonna be kinda awkward seeing him on the bench/in net game 1 haha

Old
09-06-2012, 04:41 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Let's say he is a Canuck this season, and he's turning in a performance like Tim Thomas did two seasons ago. Do we trade him midway through the season? Or do we keep him and ride his hot streak possibly to a Cup? His value would be at its highest.

Old
09-06-2012, 04:43 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babs View Post
I Agreed but Chicago is not way outside the box.
They won a Cup with below average goaltending but the current Hawks team is a far cry from that stacked team. They need to replace what they lost or upgrade goaltending.

Old
09-06-2012, 04:49 PM
Lundface

Quote:
Let's say he is a Canuck this season, and he's turning in a performance like Tim Thomas did two seasons ago. Do we trade him midway through the season? Or do we keep him and ride his hot streak possibly to a Cup? His value would be at its highest.
Depends what the offers are...

Otherwise if he's in god mode I'd like to keep him and see what it leads to. Hard to see it as a bad thing, we have 2 top 10 starting goaltenders.

Old
09-06-2012, 05:05 PM
RECsGuy*

Will Luongo get a legitimate shot at competing for the No. 1 job?

Old
09-06-2012, 05:06 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag925 View Post
Will Luongo get a legitimate shot at competing for the No. 1 job?
Hopefully not. Schneider wasn't afforded that shot in recent seasons, I don't see why Luongo should now.

Closed Thread