HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Luongo Thread - Scorcher 6: Global Meltdown (Mod Warning Post # 694)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-24-2012, 08:45 PM
  #901
Canucker
Go Hawks!
 
Canucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Frisco, Texas
Posts: 19,018
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave babych returns View Post
So I take it from the fact that a page or so back people were saying Edmonton wouldn't give up Gagner and MPS for Luongo, that my initial suggestion that it'd be worth considering those two and Klefbom in a package was unrealistic?



Sure, of course.

That being said are there any real life developments to discuss? At this point is spitballing about potential trades (even if they're totally unrealistic) any less productive than the constant arguing about the Panthers, the Leafs, the 2011 playoffs and Roberto Luongo's legacy here?

The fact of the matter is that any time spent in this thread is a complete waste. We might as well waste our time on something relatively novel rather than rehashing the same discussions that have been going on for two months now.
There is a reason people consistently talk about the Panthers and the Leafs, because there is some basis to believe a deal could be made by those teams...Edmonton, not so much. I don't have any problem with spitballing, it's what we do here, but there are far more realistic options that don't get discussed as much...Chicago, Washington, possibly even Washington...far more reasonable than the Coilers.

Canucker is offline  
Old
09-24-2012, 08:57 PM
  #902
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons
 
vanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 12,253
vCash: 500
Agreed, New Jersey is another option that doesn't get much mention too.

vanuck is offline  
Old
09-24-2012, 09:03 PM
  #903
Reverend Mayhem
I would be awesomer.
 
Reverend Mayhem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Port Coquitlam, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,812
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
Agreed, New Jersey is another option that doesn't get much mention too.
I was thinking Ottawa awhile back when Lehner was supposedly going to Columbus for Nash.

Reverend Mayhem is offline  
Old
09-24-2012, 09:08 PM
  #904
JuniorNelson
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: E.Vancouver
Country: Australia-Aboriginal
Posts: 5,198
vCash: 50
I think Botch got the destinations wrong. Edmonton? Hahahahaha!

Toronto is laughable, too.

Teams that would pay something would only do so if there is a need. Philadelphia makes some sense if they really want to win a cup. Bryzgalov isn't the answer there, but I suspect Luongo isn't either.

Boston has had the luxery of a great tandem, easily the best in the conference. Thomas is doing stuff. Does Boston want to remain stacked in net?

Both these teams can dump a tender on Toronto.

JuniorNelson is offline  
Old
09-24-2012, 09:49 PM
  #905
nekyvGkOPaiWICTscLl6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,902
vCash: 50
Luongo upset at distance to Florida and being away from his family.

Accepts trade to Edmonton (**** it, it's closer than Van).

Lockout lifted, Katz moves Oilers to Seattle.

Epic lulz.

nekyvGkOPaiWICTscLl6 is offline  
Old
09-24-2012, 10:30 PM
  #906
StrictlyCommercial
Registered User
 
StrictlyCommercial's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,312
vCash: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by roach9 View Post
Luongo upset at distance to Florida and being away from his family.

Accepts trade to Edmonton (**** it, it's closer than Van).

Lockout lifted, Katz moves Oilers to Seattle.

Epic lulz.
Still closer than Van

StrictlyCommercial is offline  
Old
09-24-2012, 10:49 PM
  #907
archangel archangel
Registered User
 
archangel archangel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,443
vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrictlyCommercial View Post
Still closer than Van
no direct flights. i believe he would need to go via Atlanta or NYC from Edmonton. There are about a dozen flights a week direct to Ft lauderdale from Vancouver

archangel archangel is offline  
Old
09-25-2012, 01:38 AM
  #908
keslerburrows
Registered User
 
keslerburrows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Vernon, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,886
vCash: 500
If the Oilers were to make an offer for Lou I'd want Klefbom+

That kid is sweet

keslerburrows is offline  
Old
09-25-2012, 01:38 AM
  #909
SunshineRays
Registered User
 
SunshineRays's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 864
vCash: 500
On a side note, Luongos twitter account if freeking gold. He's funny, very personable and interactive. He shaps with some local bloggers/fans and follows their work, and has set up a fantasy football pool w/ followers.

This crazy Luongo fan (@M25xo) tweeted that she got a DM from Strombone1 wishing her a happy b-day (Link) That's pretty darn nice of him to do that. There aren't many (if any) NHLers with twitter accounts that are so interactive, and would DM a big fan a happy b-day wish.

SunshineRays is offline  
Old
09-25-2012, 03:04 AM
  #910
Bleach Clean
Moderator
 
Bleach Clean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 16,676
vCash: 500
With all the back and forth that has gone on with the Lu situation, I cannot fathom Burke's position... Or the logic behind it.


He trusts Nonis's opinion, and Nonis is bullish over Luongo. TO also has a need in goal. There aren't near any opportunities to acquire a goalie of Lu's calibre either... Yet, here we are. Burke is again having trouble understanding what to put forward for an asset...


You think it would be automatic. But not for Burke. The guy's history of evaluating goalie talent is horrid. But you would think that he would wake up and improve his team?


This is a very important deal for Gillis. And I have no doubt that he is putting a premium on the price (especially for Burke), but I have my doubts Burke is smart enough to even put an enticing package on the table. He just doesn't value the position, and even when he does, he targets the wrong solutions. To put it plainly, I have no faith that Burke is intelligent enough to procure a piece he needs.

Bleach Clean is offline  
Old
09-25-2012, 04:19 AM
  #911
Bleach Clean
Moderator
 
Bleach Clean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 16,676
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alflives View Post
Luongo would need to wave his NTC to go to Edmonton. Why would he do that? It's Edmonton, and his family lives in Florida? His wife and children are Florida weather type people. There is zero chance Luongo goes to Edmonton.

Have you been to Edmonton in the winter?



0% chance... LOL. Do divisional trades occur? Yes. Therefore, this too can occur. Is it likely? No. But then you are disregarding probabilities when you are saying there is no chance. I always find it funny when people say this.



Lu would waive for EDM if he insists on being a starter now and Gillis views the return to good to pass up. Simple as that really.



FLA seems the natural choice, but if they don't step up, then the entire field has to be considered... even Edmonton. If Lu wants to be a starter anywhere more than he wants to be a backup/tandem here, then that puts pressure on Gillis to explore _all_ his options. Not just those that are obviously easy to evaluate by the casual fan.




Quote:
I have concerns about the number of places Luongo would really play - even though he says all the right things publicly. Let us examine the facts: He is an 'older' player with an established family. Sure his wife and children will come to live in Vancouver during the hockey season. It's Vancouver, and has the best winter climate in Canada. These are Florida people. I don't see them living in Toronto or Edmonton, or any cold winter climate. And I don't see Luongo playing where his family would not go with him. This leaves M. Gillis only a few destinations for Luongo. NTC in a contract are not a good thing, under these circumstances. (The Burrows NTC could be an issue, but that's another topic.) Consequently, the limited market will equal a very limited return. Any talk of otherwise, is just that: talk.



I get the family pressure. If FLA had an urgent need in goal, Lu would be going there. Allowing everything to be resolved perfectly. Unfortunately, FLA isn't there...yet. So if a deal can't be worked out with Lu's prime destination, then every other destination must be explored... Including EDM.



The limited market isn't a detriment IMO. You can say it's just talk, but what you're saying is also just... talk. Amirite?



What's important is the need of the markets involved. Also, it's crucial that GMs in those markets understand what they are getting. Not every GM gets the value of a particular asset. For instance, Burke is "goalie stupid" IMO. We saw what Burke did here with the goaltending...it wasn't pretty. Not to mention what's been going on in TO...On the plus side, Nonis and Dudley are very aware of what a good goaltender looks like, and his inherent value. Hopefully, his more astute subordinates kick some sense into him.



But yeah, if FLA is off the table, every other team with interest is fair game. That could include EDM, TOR or other... Because at that point it matters more to Lu to start somewhere. If he'd rather just wait here longer to find a better home, then he Gillis can accommodate that as well.

Bleach Clean is offline  
Old
09-25-2012, 08:41 AM
  #912
Vankiller Whale
Bow down
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,126
vCash: 1675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
With all the back and forth that has gone on with the Lu situation, I cannot fathom Burke's position... Or the logic behind it.


He trusts Nonis's opinion, and Nonis is bullish over Luongo. TO also has a need in goal. There aren't near any opportunities to acquire a goalie of Lu's calibre either... Yet, here we are. Burke is again having trouble understanding what to put forward for an asset...


You think it would be automatic. But not for Burke. The guy's history of evaluating goalie talent is horrid. But you would think that he would wake up and improve his team?


This is a very important deal for Gillis. And I have no doubt that he is putting a premium on the price (especially for Burke), but I have my doubts Burke is smart enough to even put an enticing package on the table. He just doesn't value the position, and even when he does, he targets the wrong solutions. To put it plainly, I have no faith that Burke is intelligent enough to procure a piece he needs.

Presumably he's waiting for the new CBA to be in place?

Vankiller Whale is offline  
Old
09-25-2012, 09:47 AM
  #913
Alflives*
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,746
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineRays View Post
On a side note, Luongos twitter account if freeking gold. He's funny, very personable and interactive. He shaps with some local bloggers/fans and follows their work, and has set up a fantasy football pool w/ followers.

This crazy Luongo fan (@M25xo) tweeted that she got a DM from Strombone1 wishing her a happy b-day (Link) That's pretty darn nice of him to do that. There aren't many (if any) NHLers with twitter accounts that are so interactive, and would DM a big fan a happy b-day wish.
Is there actual evidence to support the Twitter account noted is Luongo? It's most likely not Luongo.

Alflives* is offline  
Old
09-25-2012, 09:54 AM
  #914
Alflives*
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,746
vCash: 500
Lu would waive for EDM if he insists on being a starter now and Gillis views the return to good to pass up. Simple as that really.

Have you been to Edmonton in the winter? There is zero chance he waves his NTC for there - ZERO

Luongo is a serious poker player, and he knows (in this game) he's holding the 'trump' card.

What cards do you think M. Gillis is holding? NONE.

Alflives* is offline  
Old
09-25-2012, 10:01 AM
  #915
Bleach Clean
Moderator
 
Bleach Clean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 16,676
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Presumably he's waiting for the new CBA to be in place?

I'm of the mind that had Burke put a strong enough package on the table at the draft, Lu would be a leaf right now. Burke just doesn't get it. He does not know how to evaluate goaltending.


Yes, the current CBA has stalled further negotiation. No doubt about it. But this could have been resolved prior to it becoming an issue.


The last guy Gillis is going to give Lu away to is Burke. They hate each other. Burke should have realized that before he made his first offer, and offered a package worth consideration. Sadly, I don't think he did. Because that would be only too logical. No one needs goaltending like the leafs. It's plain to see. Yet here we are?

Bleach Clean is offline  
Old
09-25-2012, 10:14 AM
  #916
Bleach Clean
Moderator
 
Bleach Clean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 16,676
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alflives View Post
Lu would waive for EDM if he insists on being a starter now and Gillis views the return to good to pass up. Simple as that really.

Have you been to Edmonton in the winter? There is zero chance he waves his NTC for there - ZERO

Luongo is a serious poker player, and he knows (in this game) he's holding the 'trump' card.

What cards do you think M. Gillis is holding? NONE.

Gillis is holding Lu's rights in his hands. Lu is currently under contract. As such, he is Canucks property. Therefore, he doesn't move until Gillis says so.


That said, the willingness to move anywhere, even EDM, comes down to Lu. You are right. His NTC is the veto. However, if he wants to start more than he wants to stay in VAN, then he'll have to go to a less than ideal (non-FLA) situation. Meaning, he'll have to expand his list. After that, everywhere is fair game if the package is good enough.

Bleach Clean is offline  
Old
09-25-2012, 10:23 AM
  #917
Liferleafer
Bring on Stome-afin!
 
Liferleafer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 11,978
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
I'm of the mind that had Burke put a strong enough package on the table at the draft, Lu would be a leaf right now. Burke just doesn't get it. He does not know how to evaluate goaltending.


Yes, the current CBA has stalled further negotiation. No doubt about it. But this could have been resolved prior to it becoming an issue.


The last guy Gillis is going to give Lu away to is Burke. They hate each other. Burke should have realized that before he made his first offer, and offered a package worth consideration. Sadly, I don't think he did. Because that would be only too logical. No one needs goaltending like the leafs. It's plain to see. Yet here we are?
Your own GM openly admited he set the price to high. Unless it was Gardiner and the 5th overall, it wasn't going to happen....and that was to much for Toronto.

Liferleafer is offline  
Old
09-25-2012, 10:39 AM
  #918
Bleach Clean
Moderator
 
Bleach Clean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 16,676
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
Your own GM openly admited he set the price to high. Unless it was Gardiner and the 5th overall, it wasn't going to happen....and that was to much for Toronto.

Gardiner _AND_ the 5th overall? Is this what Gillis was rumoured to be asking? Do you have a link?


The most I've seen floated around was Schenn and the 5th overall as the _asking_ price. Not the offering price.

Bleach Clean is offline  
Old
09-25-2012, 10:47 AM
  #919
Reign Nateo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,625
vCash: 500
Take all the "offers" with a gigantic grain of salt. People have started referring to them as factual, when in reality we have no idea what any offer was or if there even was one. Anyone that says anything different is blowing smoke out their butt.

Reign Nateo is online now  
Old
09-25-2012, 10:58 AM
  #920
Liferleafer
Bring on Stome-afin!
 
Liferleafer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 11,978
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Gardiner _AND_ the 5th overall? Is this what Gillis was rumoured to be asking? Do you have a link?


The most I've seen floated around was Schenn and the 5th overall as the _asking_ price. Not the offering price.
I'm not good at posting links here, but at the time of the draft, CBC-sportsnet and TSN were all reporting said "rumour". It doesn't make it true i know, but with Burke's interview of shock and Gillis' "i'm the problem" quotes, it doesn't seem to far fetched.

Liferleafer is offline  
Old
09-25-2012, 11:13 AM
  #921
dave babych returns
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 4,500
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
There is a reason people consistently talk about the Panthers and the Leafs, because there is some basis to believe a deal could be made by those teams...Edmonton, not so much. I don't have any problem with spitballing, it's what we do here, but there are far more realistic options that don't get discussed as much...Chicago, Washington, possibly even Washington...far more reasonable than the Coilers.
Sure, fair enough. Certainly the family element has to mean Luongo would have little interest in that city, even if he grew up idolizing Grant Fuhr and the team seems to be poised to improve significantly. And of course the Canucks would have to be committing highway robbery in any deal where they improved a divisional rival by such a huge amount. It's far from likely.

I know why people talk about the Panthers and the Leafs but I am bored of it. Less so with Chicago and Washington but it's still the same thing over and over again.

dave babych returns is offline  
Old
09-25-2012, 11:13 AM
  #922
Bleach Clean
Moderator
 
Bleach Clean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 16,676
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
I'm not good at posting links here, but at the time of the draft, CBC-sportsnet and TSN were all reporting said "rumour". It doesn't make it true i know, but with Burke's interview of shock and Gillis' "i'm the problem" quotes, it doesn't seem to far fetched.

"I'm the problem" could be vocal rejection of marginal offers as well. There's no way to tell really.


I definitely saw the Schenn +/- 1st rumour though. That's something that was floating around at the time. And if MG didn't view Schenn as being something he wanted, then I can see him not taking that deal - especially when Galchenyuk was already off the board.


No. I still think it comes down to Burke continuing to devalue the position. He did the same when he was here. Nothing has changed.

Bleach Clean is offline  
Old
09-25-2012, 11:21 AM
  #923
Liferleafer
Bring on Stome-afin!
 
Liferleafer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 11,978
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
"I'm the problem" could be vocal rejection of marginal offers as well. There's no way to tell really.


I definitely saw the Schenn +/- 1st rumour though. That's something that was floating around at the time. And if MG didn't view Schenn as being something he wanted, then I can see him not taking that deal - especially when Galchenyuk was already off the board.


No. I still think it comes down to Burke continuing to devalue the position. He did the same when he was here. Nothing has changed.
I did hear Schenn, didn't know it was plus a 1st though. You'd know Burke's history better than me i guess, although he did have some decent goaltending with the Ducks. I still think IF THERE IS A SEASON that Burke will be a player for Luongo.

Liferleafer is offline  
Old
09-25-2012, 11:40 AM
  #924
Bleach Clean
Moderator
 
Bleach Clean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 16,676
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
I did hear Schenn, didn't know it was plus a 1st though. You'd know Burke's history better than me i guess, although he did have some decent goaltending with the Ducks. I still think IF THERE IS A SEASON that Burke will be a player for Luongo.


The goaltending was already in-house before Burke got there.


It just reminds me of his time in VAN all over again. He can make good deals. Build the team up. And leave the most crucial position to chance...? It's just mind-numbing. He should have gotten things done at the draft.


He's got to be more than a player liferleafer. He's got to get a deal done. There's no excuse. Not everyone hates the leafs. If they do well, it's good for the NHL. Plus I don't want Lu to fade away into relative obscurity. Which I fear may happen in FLA. Lu is exactly what TO needs, only Burke is too set in his ways to give up good value.

Bleach Clean is offline  
Old
09-25-2012, 11:52 AM
  #925
Vankiller Whale
Bow down
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,126
vCash: 1675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
The goaltending was already in-house before Burke got there.


It just reminds me of his time in VAN all over again. He can make good deals. Build the team up. And leave the most crucial position to chance...? It's just mind-numbing. He should have gotten things done at the draft.


He's got to be more than a player liferleafer. He's got to get a deal done. There's no excuse. Not everyone hates the leafs. If they do well, it's good for the NHL. Plus I don't want Lu to fade away into relative obscurity. Which I fear may happen in FLA. Lu is exactly what TO needs, only Burke is too set in his ways to give up good value.
It all depends on what the return is. If Lu goes to Florida for Upshall + 2nd, then Burke is completely at fault. If he goes to Edmonton for Yakupov(I know, I know) then there's not much Burke could have done to beat that.

Vankiller Whale is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:52 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.