HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

CHL Players Forming a Union? (Mod: Canadian Hockey League, aka junior)

Old
11-01-2012, 09:33 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strik_IX View Post
Fraud or not, I for one believe something needs to be done...

35-50$ a week is ridiculous, these players have 40+ hour schedules, that's a 1$-1.50$/hour salary...

Sure they get their equipment, facilities, etc.... So do I where I work, I don't have to pay for my computer, desk, software licenses, rent, etc.

It's absolute BS.
Also, hasn't that salary been the same since at least the late 1980s? I remember reading somewhere that when Domi was in the OHL that's how much he was paid.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 09:39 AM
Strik_IX
No excuses!

vCash: 1395
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
Also, hasn't that salary been the same since at least the late 1980s? I remember reading somewhere that when Domi was in the OHL that's how much he was paid.
Guy Carbonneau commented on the fact that when he was junior guys were getting 20$, 30$, 40$, 50$ a week depending on their age.

It hasn't changed in over 3 decades, it's pretty pathetic.

Edit: This was from a video from RDS.ca I saw yesterday on their "zone vidéo"

Last edited by Strik_IX: 11-01-2012 at 09:49 AM.
Strik_IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 10:04 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

mirtle7:49am via UberSocial for BlackBerryUnion denies Gumbley's involvement and threatens legal action. RT @theCHLPA: CHLPA Media Statement tmblr.co/Z7qnNuWNw0v3

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 10:26 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

What the players are getting as far as salaries seems ridiculous but let's face in this day and age, these guys are well threated. You should see what Patrick Roy and the Quebec Remparts does with his players, they pay basically nothing, they are threated line princes.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 10:38 AM
Strik_IX
No excuses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
What the players are getting as far as salaries seems ridiculous but let's face in this day and age, these guys are well threated. You should see what Patrick Roy and the Quebec Remparts does with his players, they pay basically nothing, they are threated line princes.
While that may be the case in Québec, it isn't the case everywhere. None of these extras are accounted for in any books and they are not salary either.

If I were to hire you and pay you 1.50$/hour and treated you like a "prince" would you seriously take the job? A whopping 35-50$ per week that you are free to spend as you please? That's less than what it costs to take a girl out to diner...

Not only is it complete mismanagement, but it's pretty much illegal.

Old
11-01-2012, 10:41 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
While that may be the case in Québec, it isn't the case everywhere. None of these extras are accounted for in any books and they are not salary either.

If I were to hire you and pay you 1.50$/hour and treated you like a "prince" would you seriously take the job? A whopping 35-50$ per week that you are free to spend as you please? That's less than what it costs to take a girl out to diner...

Not only is it complete mismanagement, but it's pretty much illegal.
First it's a developement league, no one make a living at it, so it's not illegal. Secondly, if you pay nothing whether it's for food, hotels, bus, etc...I think you're pretty well threated.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 11:07 AM
Strik_IX
No excuses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
First it's a developement league, no one make a living at it, so it's not illegal. Secondly, if you pay nothing whether it's for food, hotels, bus, etc...I think you're pretty well threated.
Pretty hard to pay for anything when you have a heavy schedule with a dollar an hour wage.

You think these guys have time for a job on top of studies, traveling, the gym, practices and games?

I know the CHL isn't exactly a wealthy league, but it's still a business and it should act as such.

For one, benefits should be standardized league-wide and minimum wage should be respected, if that means less freebies, then so be it. Travel, lodging and any other accommodations are fixed costs related to the business and have absolutely nothing to do with the players themselves... I mean if my employer wants me to attend a meeting in Toronto, should I be the one to pay for the flight and hotel?

Now I'm not sure if everyone in the CHL is considered an "intern" in the eyes of the law. If they are, it's pretty disgusting IMO and I find it abusive; if not, it's pretty much illegal.

Old
11-01-2012, 11:10 AM
Inkling
Proud to be a Mammal

Quote:
If I were to hire you....
No one is being 'hired'.

Inkling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 11:23 AM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

vCash: 302
Quote:
Pretty hard to pay for anything when you have a heavy schedule with a dollar an hour wage.

You think these guys have time for a job on top of studies, traveling, the gym, practices and games?

I know the CHL isn't exactly a wealthy league, but it's still a business and it should act as such.

For one, benefits should be standardized league-wide and minimum wage should be respected, if that means less freebies, then so be it. Travel, lodging and any other accommodations are fixed costs related to the business and have absolutely nothing to do with the players themselves... I mean if my employer wants me to attend a meeting in Toronto, should I be the one to pay for the flight and hotel?

Now I'm not sure if everyone in the CHL is considered an "intern" in the eyes of the law. If they are, it's pretty disgusting IMO and I find it abusive; if not, it's pretty much illegal.
have you actually been around chl players during there time in the leagues? if you have then you should know that even on this measley 50 bucks a week or whatever it is, they still live like pro's.

every thing is paid for, all there food, breakfast, lunch, supper, snacks, drinks, buses (if they don't have a car, which most do), clothes.

Barrie22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 11:38 AM
Strik_IX
No excuses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkling View Post
No one is being 'hired'.
I'm sorry if hypothesis is a foreign concept to you.

Also, don't these players sign contracts after being drafted?

Old
11-01-2012, 11:46 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Both sides of the 49th have issues but they are under paid.

I have to agree, the kids are under paid. WAY under paid. I also think there is a lack of emphasis on education.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 11:57 AM
cutchemist42

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post

I have to agree, the kids are under paid. WAY under paid. I also think there is a lack of emphasis on education.
Yep, the CHL brags about its university stipend, but with the emphasis on hockey, a lot of these guys aren't getting close to the marks for university.

cutchemist42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 11:58 AM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

Quote:
I'm sorry if hypothesis is a foreign concept to you.

Also, don't these players sign contracts after being drafted?
do not believe so, at the least i can't remember my friend signing anything when being drafted.

being drafted doesn't mean a thing in the chl, the player can or or decide to never play for that team/league.

i know some articles are trying to state that the chl is a semi pro league, but it is not not. it is just a junior A league. it is just purely an amateur league. it is also why signed nhl prospects that go back to junior after signing there nhl contract do not get there nhl contract money while there.

qoute from branch “We look upon our players as student athletes. We’ve never considered ourselves professional. We are under Hockey Canada, which is the recognized amateur sports-governing body.”

if this chlpa does win this what should be a losing battle, say good bye to high school scholarships, university scholarships, college scholarships.

Old
11-01-2012, 12:03 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

if the CHLPA were to win, I expect the following.

A contraction from 60 CHL teams to 40. It's not much of a salary, but you are multiplying salaries 10 fold. Unless there is a massive increase of ticket prices I expect teams to contract, BUT how many of those education stipends are cashed in? How much are those?

I would not expect an influx of hockey players because of the fact a college Scholarship is WAY more than the pay of a CHL player for 6 months of work, at most.

To be honest, the NCAA path will seem for favorable than CHL if this happens.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 12:07 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
Yep, the CHL brags about its university stipend, but with the emphasis on hockey, a lot of these guys aren't getting close to the marks for university.
considering only a minority of chl players actually make it to the college/university ranks while playing in the chl, it is the high school grades that really should be looked at.

Old
11-01-2012, 12:11 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

Quote:
if the CHLPA were to win, I expect the following.

A contraction from 60 CHL teams to 40. It's not much of a salary, but you are multiplying salaries 10 fold. Unless there is a massive increase of ticket prices I expect teams to contract, BUT how many of those education stipends are cashed in? How much are those?

I would not expect an influx of hockey players because of the fact a college Scholarship is WAY more than the pay of a CHL player for 6 months of work, at most.

To be honest, the NCAA path will seem for favorable than CHL if this happens.
actually if this goes through you can basically say good bye to the college/university path altogether also. considering it is the exact same thing as what chl hockey is. an amateur league, that lets players play hockey while going to school.

chl if player decides not to go his class for a day with no good reason (doctors note, game, practice, team meeting), have fun sitting in the crowd tonight.

Old
11-01-2012, 12:58 PM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
L.A. Lariviere ‏@L_A_theRiver
Laraque says it's Randy Gumbley's brother who "is helping out #CHLPA", not Randy to his knowledge.

Again, Laraque says he'll resign if Randy Gumbley is involved in any way with CHLPA.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 01:16 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Apparently the university package isn't as great as the CHL publicizes. I've seen stuff (including on the OHL website) that says when you "graduate" from the OHL you get a scholarship for every year you were in junior hockey. However, someone told me that when you're playing you're expected to go to college/university and that burns a year or two from the scholarship (which is bad because most kids can't take a full course load).

The other thing I heard is the amount of money isn't standardized. It's based on the tuition at the school closest to your team (although you don't actually have to go to that school). So, if the school close to your team has low tuition and you want to go somewhere like McGill, you end up with a shortfall.

I don't know if ^^ is true - it's just what someone who'd played told me...maybe someone else knows more???

The players should certainly be making more that $50/wk. It's horrible that the pay has been that low for so long. There's a lot of money being made on the backs of those kids. Saying "we can't afford to pay more" doesn't cut it (and is probably quite untrue).

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 01:38 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

The players are fighting over what 400 dollars a year give or take.

Old
11-01-2012, 02:14 PM
CharlieGirl

Quote:

It does vary from team to team, but most teams have an education consultant on staff to work with the players while on road trips and as a resource the rest of the time. Most teams require all players to attend high school, or college/university while playing, although most players aren't taking a full course load.

The Barrie Colts have set up an academy, which is the ideal situation for these players. I'd love to see more teams follow suit.

http://www.barriecolts.com/article/c...hockey-academy

Quote:
The Barrie Colts and Blyth Academy together announced the launch of The Barrie Colts Hockey Academy on Wednesday, July 18th.

This one-of-a-kind program provides student athletes with elite athletic training and personalized learning. This partnership also sees the Barrie Colts become the first OHL team to establish its own hockey academy and offer private education to their players.

"I’m extremely excited to be part of this innovative program," said Barrie Colts Head Coach Dale Hawerchuk, who will lead the athletic development program. "This program provides student athletes the best-in-class sports training and a flexible schedule that ensures they can perform at both sports and school,” added Hawerchuk.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 05:44 PM
Major4Boarding
Global Moderator
Private Equity

Via Mirtle

Quote:
Kristen Odland ‏@KristenOdlandCH
Just learned that the law firm representing the #CHLPA's bid in Alberta (Victory Square Law Office LLP) has withrawn their counsel. #WHL
Corresponding article

http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/...238/story.html

Major4Boarding is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 05:49 PM
Marc the Habs Fan

According to our sources, Randy Gumbley does in fact have a role in the #CHLPA. Details to come @TVAsports

Hopefully this is the end of this fiasco.

Old
11-01-2012, 06:05 PM
Major4Boarding
Global Moderator
Private Equity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
According to our sources, Randy Gumbley does in fact have a role in the #CHLPA. Details to come @TVAsports

Hopefully this is the end of this fiasco.
Makes sense, as the very first line in the CHLPA's media statement earlier today reads:

Quote:
The CHLPA categorically denies that Randy Gumbley has any official position with the CHLPA
http://www.chlpa.com/2012/11/01/chlpa-media-statement/

Matter of interpretation I suppose

Major4Boarding is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 06:34 PM
Marc the Habs Fan

I can't find the link to it, but on front page of TSN.ca there are 2 new videos on it. They have footage of the Montreal Derek Clarke although he did not want to be interviewed on camera.

Louis Jean ‏@LouisJean_TVA
La firme Poudrier Bradet de Québec qui représentait l'AJLCH cesse toute association avec le syndicat.

The Quebec lawfirm representing the CHLPA has ended their association with them. Slowly but surely it's coming to an end.

Last edited by Marc the Habs Fan: 11-01-2012 at 07:38 PM.
Old
11-01-2012, 07:59 PM
Marc the Habs Fan

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/chlp...ntities--.html

Just keeps getting more ridiculous.