HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

CHL Players Forming a Union? (Mod: Canadian Hockey League, aka junior)

Old
11-02-2012, 10:31 AM
pepty
Let's win it all

vCash: 395
A little more light on who everyone is and the reason behind the founding of this "union".
http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey...n-spokesperson

The Vancouver-based Glenn Gumbley, 43, says he was the founding hand behind the fledgling union but that he tried to keep his identity hidden because he knew his family name was toxic in hockey circles.
“That’s why Derek Clarke has been the person to be the spokesperson on my behalf and other people behind the organization that do not wish to be named.”

His brother, he says, is not one of those people. “Randy Gumbley is in no way officially part of the CHLPA whatsoever,” says Glenn Gumbley. “Never has been, never will be.
Last year, Randy Gumbley was given a suspended sentence and 18 months’ probation after being found guilty of fraud in relation to a European summer hockey tour. Two years earlier, he was sentenced to a month of house arrest and 11 months of curfew after admitting to taking more than $100,000 from nine parents paying for a year-round hockey training program.

“We became in contact after his misfortunes with Hockey Canada and ever since then I’ve been very, very concerned about what took place,” Glenn Gumbley says.

His outrage on behalf of his brother, who he believes was “railroaded,” is what started him down the path to trying to unionize 1,300 junior hockey players on 60 teams across Canada and the U.S. But now, he says, he’s doing it “for the right reasons, not for animosity or revenge.”

pepty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 10:48 AM
kanuck87

vCash: 500
I won't believe anything from these guys until I see an on-camera interview. They can't keep hiding behind smoke and mirrors if they want to be the "face" of the CHLPA.

kanuck87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 11:27 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://www.thestar.com/sports/articl...-head-of-chlpa

Laraque plans to quit as head of CHLPA as soon as replacement can be found.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 11:31 AM
CharlieGirl
Thank you Mr. Snider

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyerMaker66 View Post
Which is BS: Yeah, we'll use your image and likeness to generate millions of dollars but hey you get to eat for free. That's worth a few million, right?
You do know the CHL didn't receive a penny from EA sports, right? They agreed to have the CHL players involved in the game to gain exposure to the league.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 11:35 AM
Shawa666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton View Post
Those are benefits not wages. Minimum wages are clearly specified in labour laws in most industrialized countries. I think Canada has minimum wages and other regulations concerning minors. Maybe I'm wrong and I can hire 14 year olds to work 12/7 for 50 cents an hour. Do Walmart shareholders know this? The profits, the profits.

Or is it that playing hockey or any other sport for a living isn't a job. Perhaps our constitution has a loophole in it's rights which excludes children doing certain jobs from counting as humans.

You don't want this going to the courts. The CHL has a reprieve to correct this issue or a window to rack up the exploitation based profits. I wonder which route they'll take.

I notice our libertarian yet business friendly feds have not stepped up.
It's even better than a salary for the kids. They don't have to pay income tax on this.

Knowing Revenue Canada, the provincial agencies and the IRS, i'd bet that they are itching to get their noses in this if the players end up being recognized as employees.

In the end I'm not sure that unionizing is such a good thing for the players.

Shawa666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 11:38 AM
OGBobbyFarnham

What a complete cluster****.
If they really want to help these kids, how bout you bow out entirely. Everything you've done to this point means you're going to be under the microscope if you continue to be involved.

Also why didn't Laraque say it was Gormley's brother when the first allegation came up? He waits several days then says it's his brother and not Randy. Everything about this seems fishy.

OGBobbyFarnham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 11:43 AM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
You do know the CHL didn't receive a penny from EA sports, right? They agreed to have the CHL players involved in the game to gain exposure to the league.
So they're using their likenesses to gain exposure. And the reasoning behind gaining exposure is making more money.

If A→B and B→C, then A→C. They're using the players' likeness to make more money.

Hivemind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 11:57 AM
CharlieGirl
Thank you Mr. Snider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
So they're using their likenesses to gain exposure. And the reasoning behind gaining exposure is making more money.

If A→B and B→C, then A→C. They're using the players' likeness to make more money.
You could pull a muscle stretching like this.

Old
11-02-2012, 12:06 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Chris Peters@chrismpeters
The CHLPA is an utter mess, but the timing of its implosion should raise eyebrows. Things were just starting to get serious it seemed.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 12:07 PM
Rocko604
KEEP SINDEN OUT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawa666 View Post
It's even better than a salary for the kids. They don't have to pay income tax on this.

Knowing Revenue Canada, the provincial agencies and the IRS, i'd bet that they are itching to get their noses in this if the players end up being recognized as employees.

In the end I'm not sure that unionizing is such a good thing for the players.
Don't forger the union dues the CHLPA would take as well.

I don't see many players playing for the likes of Moose Jaw or Prince Albert and demanding trades to Vancouver, Kelowna, or Calgary. These kids do have it good and are well taken care of. Of the few players I've known that have played in the Dub, all were being given over $100 a week for a stipend. If the situations are so dire, why aren't the player agents demanding change?

The CHL is an amateur, development league. They kids know this going in. They know they'll be given a stipend, and not a salary. Yet, it takes a shady organization lead by a NHLer and possibly a convicted fraudster to make noise about it? You can't tell me Laraque and his partners weren't thinking about the money THEY could make off the players through association dues.

Not to say improvements can't be made. I've mentioned my thoughts on the scholarship program. Also, I'm under the impression that there are no a minimum requirements on the benefits/stipend players receive and that it's up to the individual club. Why I do not support the players being given a salary, league-wide minimum requirements wouldn't hurt.

Also, if the CHL had to start paying players a salary, you can be sure they'll take away the billeting program, forcing every player to pay room and board.

Last edited by Rocko604: 11-02-2012 at 12:20 PM.
Rocko604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 01:40 PM
CharlieGirl
Thank you Mr. Snider

@markhmasters

Quote:
According to Michael Mazzuca, GIBSON & BARNES LLP is no longer working with the CHLPA
Interesting side note - Mazzuca is an OHL grad.

Old
11-02-2012, 01:49 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
You could pull a muscle stretching like this.
You kidding? You don't see the financial benefits of free advertising? They're using the likenesses of the players in order to get advertising and thus get money. Do you think they want exposure for the sake of exposure? No, they want it to grow their brand so they can make a bigger profit.

Old
11-02-2012, 02:00 PM
CharlieGirl
Thank you Mr. Snider

Quote:
You kidding? You don't see the financial benefits of free advertising? They're using the likenesses of the players in order to get advertising and thus get money. Do you think they want exposure for the sake of exposure? No, they want it to grow their brand so they can make a bigger profit.
So in your ideal world, CHL teams should never have their games broadcast, have their players out in the community working for charities, or have any signs up on the venue advertising games - is that right? The players don't receive direct financial benefit from those either, and yet it's exposure for the team. How is that different?

Old
11-02-2012, 02:10 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
So in your ideal world, CHL teams should never have their games broadcast, have their players out in the community working for charities, or have any signs up on the venue advertising games - is that right? The players don't receive direct financial benefit from those either, and yet it's exposure for the team. How is that different?
No, in my ideal world the players would be meaningfully compensated for their contributions to a multi-million dollar business. Even if it's as simple fixing their scholarship options.

Old
11-02-2012, 02:27 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
no, major jr. is not like the ncaa. i don't understand the comparison between the two.

it's also a business where some people are getting wealthy. there is a big difference between the chl and high school hockey programs.

the fact that they're currently being paid the same stipend players were 25 years ago is abhorrent. so are the restraints they put on the scholarship money (which means a bunch kids who never come near to the nhl don't get the money).
Tell me why major jr is not the same as ncaa? Major jr get rent, food and schooling paid for while playing hockey. Ncaa get schooling and rent paid for while playing hockey. Both leagues try to further your life by either giving you schooling or a chance at the pro's.

Barrie22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 02:53 PM
CharlieGirl
Thank you Mr. Snider

Quote:
No, in my ideal world the players would be meaningfully compensated for their contributions to a multi-million dollar business. Even if it's as simple fixing their scholarship options.
I'm hoping the CHL uses this opportunity to form an advisory board consisting of parents, former players, agents and team representatives to review the current rules surrounding scholarships and other areas (weekly stipend is a big one) and recommend changes where needed. I don't think there's any group better to look out after the interests of the players, and their input would be invaluable. The CHL does a lot of things very well, but there are always areas for improvement.

Old
11-02-2012, 03:02 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

One thing that is forgotten in this, is these are just kids. Who are treated and in some cases even paid better if they were to stay at home with there parents to go to school. At 30 dallars a week for just the months they play games (regular season) they make 1200 a season with no need to pay taxes on it.

Old
11-02-2012, 03:23 PM
Billybaroo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post
Tell me why major jr is not the same as ncaa? Major jr get rent, food and schooling paid for while playing hockey. Ncaa get schooling and rent paid for while playing hockey. Both leagues try to further your life by either giving you schooling or a chance at the pro's.
Because its actual $$$ for the CHL. Its not for the NCAA.
You think CHL teams are rolling in the cash? They are not (for the most part).

Billybaroo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 03:31 PM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton View Post
Those are benefits not wages. Minimum wages are clearly specified in labour laws in most industrialized countries. I think Canada has minimum wages and other regulations concerning minors. Maybe I'm wrong and I can hire 14 year olds to work 12/7 for 50 cents an hour. Do Walmart shareholders know this? The profits, the profits.

Or is it that playing hockey or any other sport for a living isn't a job. Perhaps our constitution has a loophole in it's rights which excludes children doing certain jobs from counting as humans.

You don't want this going to the courts. The CHL has a reprieve to correct this issue or a window to rack up the exploitation based profits. I wonder which route they'll take.

I notice our libertarian yet business friendly feds have not stepped up.
I guess you've never heard of an unpaid internship. And it has already gone to court a number of years ago according to Larauque.

Last edited by cheswick: 11-02-2012 at 03:36 PM.
cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 03:37 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billybaroo View Post
Because its actual $$$ for the CHL. Its not for the NCAA.
You think CHL teams are rolling in the cash? They are not (for the most part).
Who cares if the chl clubs are making money or not.

So you think the schools in the ncaa don't make money from the hockey programs?

Old
11-02-2012, 03:44 PM
Billybaroo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post
Who cares if the chl clubs are making money or not.

So you think the schools in the ncaa don't make money from the hockey programs?
So, let me get this straight. The owners/shareholders of CHL teams should pull money out of their personal pockets for these post secondary schlarships? Really?
You do know these players/families have a choice not to play in the CHL if they dont like the "deal" they are getting , dont you?

Old
11-02-2012, 03:47 PM
Billybaroo*

Quote:
What happens if theres not the $$$$ to make this gold plated schlarship option that you want?

Old
11-02-2012, 03:47 PM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billybaroo View Post
So, let me get this straight. The owners/shareholders of CHL teams should pull money out of their personal pockets for these post secondary schlarships? Really?
You do know these players/families have a choice not to play in the CHL if they dont like the "deal" they are getting , dont you?
CHL players are already gettign scholarships. They get a year paid for every year played as long as it's used within 18 months of leaving the CHL I think.

It's unclear what point you're trying to make.

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 03:50 PM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 763
Louis Jean ‏@LouisJean_TVA
The CHLPA takes another hit as Pink Larkin, maritime law firm cease to represent union.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 03:54 PM
billybudd
5 cups pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Louis Jean ‏@LouisJean_TVA
The CHLPA takes another hit as Pink Larkin, maritime law firm cease to represent union.
???

This story just gets weirder and weirder.

billybudd is offline   Reply With Quote