HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

CHL Players Forming a Union? (Mod: Canadian Hockey League, aka junior)

Old
11-02-2012, 03:58 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

vCash: 613
Louis Jean ‏@LouisJean_TVA
In an unprecedented move, CHLPA has asked Nova Scotia labor board to withdraw Screaming Eagles certification request. Player vote cancelled.

Marc the Habs Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 04:02 PM
Lard_Lad

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybudd View Post
???

This story just gets weirder and weirder.
Maritime meaning they're based in New Brunswick, not a firm who are experts on fishing treaties and salvage laws.

Lard_Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 04:16 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lard_Lad View Post
Maritime meaning they're based in New Brunswick, not a firm who are experts on fishing treaties and salvage laws.
Psst... Nova Scotia. But the rest, you're dead on the money.

So the last legal firm working with the CHLPA has walked away. Hopefully the CHLPA follows.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 04:35 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Laudable goal, but it seems some of the people (in the background) do not have the best reputation so this is falling apart like a house of cards.

It's possible a "CHLPA 2.0" might happen, but not tomorrow.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 05:15 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

David William Naylor ‏@TSNDaveNaylor
TSN has obtained a document that appears to connect Mississauga man Randy Gumbley to the CHLPA.#chl #ohl #whl #qmjhl More at 6pm on SC.#TSN

Old
11-02-2012, 05:45 PM
Lard_Lad

One thing that I wonder about: who funded all of this? These guys were apparently running around the country trying to organize teams, had some sort of rudimentary PR structure, and managed to get a bunch of law firms lined up to represent them. It seems improbable that a couple of small-time scammers would be willing to pay the up-front costs for a payoff (the $1.50 ticket surcharge they wanted) that was a long way off and unlikely to happen.

Old
11-02-2012, 05:54 PM
Shawa666

Quote:
One thing that I wonder about: who funded all of this? These guys were apparently running around the country trying to organize teams, had some sort of rudimentary PR structure, and managed to get a bunch of law firms lined up to represent them. It seems improbable that a couple of small-time scammers would be willing to pay the up-front costs for a payoff (the $1.50 ticket surcharge they wanted) that was a long way off and unlikely to happen.
Georges Laraque says he sank 10 000$ in this gong show.

Shawa666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 05:55 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billybaroo View Post
So, let me get this straight. The owners/shareholders of CHL teams should pull money out of their personal pockets for these post secondary schlarships? Really?
You do know these players/families have a choice not to play in the CHL if they dont like the "deal" they are getting , dont you?
I think you need to read a bit more of the thread then 1 paragraph written about who cares if the chl makes money.

People (op's starting point is about chl players not making enough money during there time in the chl) ate stating that it is a shame these kids dont get paid to play hockey in a major jr league (1 step higher then junior B).

I am saying if the chlpa wins any case that demands the chl (amatuer developemental league that offers free schooling and the chance to grow your game for a chance of the pros) pay players min wage it will cause a ripple affect and every single league that has any type of league below them (including the ncaa) would then be forced to pay there players min wage to play hockey and that would start to trickle all the way down to minor leagues also sooner or later.

Barrie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 06:27 PM
Tinalera

It does sound like things are starting to fall apart now, it will be interesting to see what starts coming out more about the whos and what's of this matter-certainly interesting reading.

Tinalera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 06:30 PM
Lard_Lad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawa666 View Post
Georges Laraque says he sank 10 000$ in this gong show.
Ah, that sheds a little light. Maybe there are a few more donors out there who are too embarrassed to say anything.

Old
11-02-2012, 08:03 PM
KaylaJ
Tungsten!

If anything hopefully this teaches these kids an early lesson about being careful. I think a PA with good intentions is a good idea, but these are just kids we're talking about. We've seen how easy it is for some pros to listen to the wrong people, can you imagine the life changing consequences if the wrong people were involved in this? There is far too much involved in such an organization that things have to be done right from the beginning to the end with no ill will.

KaylaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 10:06 PM
DJ Omnimaga

This story is almost as weird as the Phoenix Coyotes saga

DJ Omnimaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 11:09 AM
Crease

Good Lord

Let's recap shall we?

The CHLPA, under the "leadership" of Georges Laraque, went to the NCAA hoping to get the CHL recognized as an amateur league, thus allowing their players to pursue college hockey at a later date. Everything was going smoothly until...

1. CHLPA spokesman Derek Clarke evolved into CHLPA spokesmen Derek Clarke(s)
2. CHLPA supporter/convicted felon Randy Gumbley
3. Victory Square Law Office/CHLPA divorce
4. NCAA says CHL has no chance of reclassification
5. Georges Laraque/CHLPA divorce

Woof. I must say this extended off-season has been incredibly popcorn-inducing.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 01:01 PM
DyerMaker66

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
You could pull a muscle stretching like this.
Are you for real? Exposure doesn't (in one form or another)= revenue in your eyes?

Last edited by DyerMaker66: 11-03-2012 at 01:17 PM.
DyerMaker66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 03:12 PM
thinkwild
Veni Vidi Toga

I dont know that there were any kids who had gotten involved with this. It does seem though that it was not lead by the best possible people for that task. It might just be poor Georges trying to do the right thing that got used for PR. Like Bettman trying to get the notorious "Boots" to lead Nashville's salvation.

It's hard to see why so many would find the prospect of a jr. player union so scary. Branch says he sees them as student athletes who's interest they look out for. Im sure he would ideally like to look out for them just like the ncaa does. Such a potential would be very lucrative, even if just in a much smaller fashion.

But student athletes are already in unions - their student unions, that they pay their student union dues to, and with some of those unions having millions of dollars to work with. Is that terrifying too? Why is there such a worry over a potential union - the obvious financial exploitation is required to maintain the business model?

thinkwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 03:17 PM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

Quote:
Got it. Clears that up. Thanks.

billybudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 04:46 PM
Gigantor The Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkwild View Post
I dont know that there were any kids who had gotten involved with this. It does seem though that it was not lead by the best possible people for that task. It might just be poor Georges trying to do the right thing that got used for PR. Like Bettman trying to get the notorious "Boots" to lead Nashville's salvation.

It's hard to see why so many would find the prospect of a jr. player union so scary. Branch says he sees them as student athletes who's interest they look out for. Im sure he would ideally like to look out for them just like the ncaa does. Such a potential would be very lucrative, even if just in a much smaller fashion.

But student athletes are already in unions - their student unions, that they pay their student union dues to, and with some of those unions having millions of dollars to work with. Is that terrifying too? Why is there such a worry over a potential union - the obvious financial exploitation is required to maintain the business model?
Student Union dues in post secondary schools? I know I didn't pay any in high school and I'm sure I'm paying any right now unless its included in tuition which would be odd.

Gigantor The Goalie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 11:01 PM
kaiser matias

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoytoSakic View Post
Student Union dues in post secondary schools? I know I didn't pay any in high school and I'm sure I'm paying any right now unless its included in tuition which would be odd.
Its included in my tuition that I pay. $69 per semester, for a service I never use and am not that thrilled about having around.

kaiser matias is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 01:07 AM
DyerMaker66

It's included in my tuition fees and they do tonnes of stuff for us: Athletics, Pub Nights every week, etc.

Last edited by DyerMaker66: 11-04-2012 at 01:23 AM.
DyerMaker66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 12:19 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

Oh lord...

CHLPA ‏@theCHLPA
CHLPA has officially submitted application to the Stanley Cup Trustees to allow CHL to compete for the Stanley Cup if NHL lockout continues

When will this joke just end already?

Old
11-13-2012, 12:51 PM
Strik_IX
No excuses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Oh lord...

CHLPA ‏@theCHLPA
CHLPA has officially submitted application to the Stanley Cup Trustees to allow CHL to compete for the Stanley Cup if NHL lockout continues

Yeah I found this:

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/ey...kout-continues

Travesty in the making right there... There is no merit in "winning" the Cup in a junior league... it would just make the victory seem false. Sure all these kids wanna play for it, but I'm pretty sure they wanna do it in the NHL.

Too bad these CHLPA clowns have no clue what they're doing... such an organization could have been quite beneficial for young players if it were run correctly by people with a bit of credibility.

Strik_IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 12:56 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strik_IX View Post
Yeah I found this:

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/ey...kout-continues

Travesty in the making right there... There is no merit in "winning" the Cup in a junior league... it would just make the victory seem false. Sure all these kids wanna play for it, but I'm pretty sure they wanna do it in the NHL.

Too bad these CHLPA clowns have no clue what they're doing... such an organization could have been quite beneficial for young players if it were run correctly by people with a bit of credibility.
but are we going by the letter of the law for why the cup was presented in the 1st place?

Quote:
Originally inscribed the Dominion Hockey Challenge Cup, the trophy was donated in 1892 by then-Governor General of Canada, the Lord Stanley of Preston, as an award for Canada's top-ranking amateur ice hockey club. It was given for the first time in 1893 to Montreal HC. In 1915, the two professional ice hockey organizations, the National Hockey Association (NHA) and the Pacific Coast Hockey Association (PCHA), reached a gentlemen's agreement in which their respective champions would face each other for the Stanley Cup. After a series of league mergers and folds, the Cup became the de facto championship trophy of the NHL in 1926 and then the de jure NHL championship prize in 1947. Since then, the league has maintained effective control over both the trophy itself and its associated trademarks. Nevertheless, the NHL does not actually own the trophy, but instead uses it by agreement with the Cup's two trustees.

Barrie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 02:20 PM
April Ethereal
Eternal rains...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Oh lord...

CHLPA ‏@theCHLPA

I hope it happens. Let it be what Lord Stanley originally intended it to be.

Put the Memorial Cup to the side for a year, and let the four teams compete for the Stanley Cup.

April Ethereal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 03:20 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOilRising View Post
I hope it happens. Let it be what Lord Stanley originally intended it to be.

Put the Memorial Cup to the side for a year, and let the four teams compete for the Stanley Cup.
The Memorial Cup is something junior teams work towards, and players sweat/bleed/work as hard as they can to get it. The Stanley Cup is something junior players have dreamed about since they were peewees.

To replace the Memorial Cup and all it represents with another shinier/prettier trophy cheapens both Cups.

The people behind the Chalupa are certifiable, and are using anything they can to keep themselves in the news. I can't wait to see what they pull out of their behinds next.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 03:22 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

It should be the CHL sending the application, not an ''union'' run by frauds.