Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Jets history to re-unite

Old
08-20-2012, 12:11 AM
Ripper

vCash: 500
Jets history to re-unite

Speculation or proposal, I can't decide which this could be but really, it doesn't matter. Let's say that TNSE decided that it wanted it's history back, more importantly the Jets history.
Let's also say that with the coming CBA there may be concessions to be had, or should I say franchises.

Remember the Gund brothers, they who owned the North Stars, merged with the Cleveland Barons. There was also the Sharks created out of some of the players from the old Stars before goiing to Dallas. Too many facts to write them all in order here but you get the idea.

So, Phoenix folds, Winnipeg buys half the team and pays the NHL the debt they are owed plus interest, the interest gives them 6 palyers to choose. The rest go to Toronto and form the nucleus of the 2nd GTA franchise the Markham Waxers who pay 400 million and are owned by Thompson.

Quebec City is awarded a draft priority staus with it's new franchise and selects 3 players from the folded Blue Jackets and Panthers. The remaining players go into the entry draft next June and hockey begins next September after the sweeping changes.

I hope it all gets done next Month but somehow I doubt it.

Have fun,
Regards
Ripper

Ripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 12:28 AM
sully1410

vCash: 50
I don't see any of this happening.

sully1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 12:38 AM
JetsHomer

I want Pheonix to fold, simply to see what they would do with all their players. I certainly don't think they'd just sell them haha

JetsHomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 02:42 AM
Reed Solomon
GO ✈'s GO

Theres no need to pay for anything if the Coyotes fold, they fold. Winnipeg would get the history by default. New teams would be granted through expansion later on once suitable arenas are built in particular cities.

Assuming they can't get Glendale working. Really though, why can't they just play at an arena in Phoenix proper somewhere? They'd at least have a sporting chance at profitability then.

Reed Solomon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 07:19 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Winnipeg is not getting the "old jets" history back
No matter what happens with phoenix
It is very VERY unlikely Phoenix folds.
They will either be sold, or moved.

The rest of what you proposed wont happen either

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 07:32 AM
Ripper

The next year is going to be interesting, I just think it makes sense for the NHL and for the owners of the Jets to buy the Coyotes, marry the two franchises and take what's left as an expansion franchise to Toronto. Why wouldn't Thompson do this, the revenue he and TNSE would generate would be equal to or top the Leafs. The Leafs pull in approx. 80 million, 2 other franchises NYR and Montreal pull in just over half of that with the remaining teams maing up a loss. A second Toronto team would be a boon for the NHL.

Ripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 09:02 AM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

re history: this thread/idea has been made before?? has it not

re folding: not going to happen

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 09:22 AM
New Jets
Jets fan since '79

What is meant by "history"??

If its just the right to publish old stats in our record books, who cares?

Phoenix doesn't own the Jets name nor do they have any claim to Jets 1.0 logos (all which are now the property of TNSE).

They don't even have the final Avco Cup from 1979 -- that sits right here in Winnipeg.

So what exactly are we arguing about? Retired numbers? Another non-issue. TNSE will be honouring Jets 1.0 players --- heck, they will even bring in a retro jersey at some point as well.

New Jets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 10:12 AM
truck
HFB Partner

vCash: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Jets View Post
What is meant by "history"??

If its just the right to publish old stats in our record books, who cares?

Phoenix doesn't own the Jets name nor do they have any claim to Jets 1.0 logos (all which are now the property of TNSE).

They don't even have the final Avco Cup from 1979 -- that sits right here in Winnipeg.

So what exactly are we arguing about? Retired numbers? Another non-issue. TNSE will be honouring Jets 1.0 players --- heck, they will even bring in a retro jersey at some point as well.
Yeah. I don't get it. We can even keep our own record books and I did put one together. I tallied them up for interest sake, but I don't really know what good they are aside from comparables. The MB Sports Hall of Fame has all sorts of Jets 1.0 / WHA stuff.

truck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 10:13 AM
EpicGingy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
The next year is going to be interesting, I just think it makes sense for the NHL and for the owners of the Jets to buy the Coyotes, marry the two franchises and take what's left as an expansion franchise to Toronto. Why wouldn't Thompson do this, the revenue he and TNSE would generate would be equal to or top the Leafs. The Leafs pull in approx. 80 million, 2 other franchises NYR and Montreal pull in just over half of that with the remaining teams maing up a loss. A second Toronto team would be a boon for the NHL.
For one thing, Markham needs an arena that won't be built, if at all, until around 2015, where are they going to play?

Two, TNSE would not buy the Coyotes, and would the NHL even allow them to own 2 NHL franchises?

Anyways, this is suggesting that they can just take whichever players they choose, put them on their team, and ship them off to Toronto to play in a non existent arena. Why doesn't somebody else buy the team, move them somewhere like Quebec City, build their team, and we can allow management to build our team?

EpicGingy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 10:33 AM
broinwhyteridge
bro license revoked!

Rediculous proposition.

The other 28 owners are not going to let one organization cherry pick 'x' of the best players from a team and then do "whatever" with the balance.

broinwhyteridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 10:38 AM
Jet
Chevel-takesadayoff

I guess it's fun to speculate but this is a real wild one.

I do agree that the only way the golden horseshoe gets another team is through expansion, but I don't see that happening for quite some time.

The NHL will not contract while Bettman is running the league. A new guy coming in might have a window to do it when he first comes in but I still see a few viable relocation markets should the need arise.

Columbus could build up a fanbase if they could ever hire competent hockey people and ice a decent team. That's all they need IMHO. Pittsburgh, Chicago, Nashville are just a few of the teams that had attendance issues because their teams floundered for several years. Build a winning atmosphere, give your fans a reason to pay the big dollars to watch and they will.

I still think the problems in Glendale far outstrip simply having a good team. The Coyotes have been good for a while and outside of working hard to sell out a playoff game, I don't see the fan support there. They have been given plenty of chances. Bettman said that the reason Winnipeg left was because there was no owner willing to own the team here. Well, take a look, Gary. The NHL shouldn't be considered that owner

The only other club I think that has issues that are more permanent wrt fan support is Florida. They have had some good teams and still they struggle with support. I think Miami just might be too south and there is too much else going on to make an NHL team viable there.

Quebec and Seattle would be my obvious choices for relo of those teams and if the CBA strengthens the NHL, I could see an expansion of 2 teams including one in the Golden Horseshoe, and one in potentially KC, OKC, or maybe Houston?

08-20-2012, 12:15 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
I'm fairly certain it is against the NHL's rules for an individual to have a stake in more then one team.

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 12:52 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
I'm fairly certain it is against the NHL's rules for an individual to have a stake in more then one team.
Except for Bell which has a stake is the Habs and Laughs.

Most Valuable Player
Most Valuable Player
Old
08-20-2012, 01:21 PM
Reed Solomon
GO ✈'s GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
Except for Bell which has a stake is the Habs and Laughs.
David Thompson owns a piece of that.

Reed Solomon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 01:28 PM
blues10

Quote:

So, Phoenix folds, Winnipeg buys half the team and pays the NHL the debt they are owed plus interest, the interest gives them 6 palyers to choose. The rest go to Toronto and form the nucleus of the 2nd GTA franchise the Markham Waxers who pay 400 million and are owned by Thompson.

Qebec City is awarded a draft priority staus with it's new franchise and selects 3 players from the folded Blue Jackets and Panthers. The remaining players go into the entry draft next June and hockey begins next September after the sweeping changes.

I hope it all gets done next Month but somehow I doubt it.

Have fun,
Regards
Ripper
I will only address 1 point as it is just too far fetched, even for an avid NHL hockey relocationist like myself.

Any NHL team playing in the Markam arena will be owned and operated by Graeme Roustan, who is also chairman of Bauer Performance Sports Ltd. His partner is real-estate tycoon Rudy Bratty. They will certainly not let David Thomson operate an NHL team in their building.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle4470599/

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle4488686/

blues10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 01:45 PM
KingJet*
Welcome Back

We get the Jets history, and get the Coyotes history from 1996-1999, and keep the Thrashers History, and it will remain just Phoenix 2000-2013 history when it moves to Seattle, or just get the Jets history and the Coyotes will remain by itself with its history.

KingJet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 03:15 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 400
This again

Winnipeg Jets 1.0 history will never be associated with this franchise.
Its associated with the city.
Those are distinct things, and they should/will remain separate.

wpgsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 03:52 PM
Guardian17
Strong & Free

I totally get that officially the Jets 1.0/Coyotes and Thrashers/Jets 2.0.

However, I personally view the "Winnipeg Jets" as an identity assumed by a NHL club playing their home games in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada.

The identity was inactive between May 1996 to May 2011.

On May 31, 2011 the identity was re-activated.

For me, its the identity, not the statistics, that matter and Teemu Selanne is the Winnipeg Jets rookie scoring leader, not, Illya Kovalchuk.

Let me be clear, this is not a slam against the Thrashers and their fans and if Atlanta gets another NHL team they are more than welcome to have their Thrashers stats as that is part of Atlanta's NHL hockey identity.

Guardian17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 04:02 PM
videofarmer
thirsty

vCash: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian17 View Post
I totally get that officially the Jets 1.0/Coyotes and Thrashers/Jets 2.0.

However, I personally view the "Winnipeg Jets" as an identity assumed by a NHL club playing their home games in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada.

The identity was inactive between May 1996 to May 2011.

On May 31, 2011 the identity was re-activated.

For me, its the identity, not the statistics, that matter and Teemu Selanne is the Winnipeg Jets rookie scoring leader, not, Illya Kovalchuk.

Let me be clear, this is not a slam against the Thrashers and their fans and if Atlanta gets another NHL team they are more than welcome to have their Thrashers stats as that is part of Atlanta's NHL hockey identity.
On behalf of this Thrashers fan, I agree and don't take it as a slam at all. A city's hockey history stays in that city whether anyone feels it should move or not. The most annoying thing about franchise histories moving to me, is that Calgary didn't come up with their own name for the Flames and the name and logos were lost to us.

videofarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 04:07 PM
Guardian17
Strong & Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by videofarmer View Post
On behalf of this Thrashers fan, I agree and don't take it as a slam at all. A city's hockey history stays in that city whether anyone feels it should move or not. The most annoying thing about franchise histories moving to me, is that Calgary didn't come up with their own name for the Flames and the name and logos were lost to us.

Thanks!

I totally agree with you.

I'm a Winnipegger living in Calgary and I've always thought the "Flames" identity belongs to Atlanta.

From what I understand, it was to commemorate a great fire during the Civil War?

In any case, Calgary had a WHA team named the Calgary Cowboys that would have made more sense to use.

Guardian17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 05:00 PM
New Jets
Jets fan since '79

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgsilver View Post
This again

Winnipeg Jets 1.0 history will never be associated with this franchise.
Its associated with the city.
Those are distinct things, and they should/will remain separate.
Statistics, yes, will remain separate.

But when Jets 2.0 play in a retro jersey that is a throwback to one of the Jets 1.0 unis, are they not celebrating the "Winnipeg Jets" rich heritage?

Who cares if we are really dealing with two distinct franchises - according to the league's silly franchise continuity rules.

Like it or not, when Chipman officially re-christened the defunct Atlanta Thrashers as the Winnipeg Jets - that immediately connected the current team (stats aside) to the original franchise.

New Jets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 05:30 PM
cbcwpg

vCash: 350
Who cares if the Jets 1.0 stats are officially in a book and given to the Jets 2.0. Means nothing.

I was there...I saw them play... I have the memories... I bought the sweater.

I don't need a official document that allows me to have those memories.

cbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 05:34 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcwpg View Post
Who cares if the Jets 1.0 stats are officially in a book and given to the Jets 2.0. Means nothing.

I was there...I saw them play... I have the memories... I bought the sweater.

I don't need a official document that allows me to have those memories.
But you need to pay the nhl a fee to use those memories

Old
08-20-2012, 05:48 PM
mzappa
Jets fans in space

Why is there yet another thread on this topic which has been discussed before?

Suggest a lock&delete on this one, Mods.....

mzappa is offline   Reply With Quote