HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

OT: Your Vancouver neighbourhood/area

Closed Thread

Old
08-21-2012, 08:30 AM
Marty Straka
Don't Stop Believin'

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
The further you get out into the Fraser Valley the bigger the properties get. Mission, Matsqui, Chilliwack, Cloverdale, ect. There are lots of properties out there, they are not going to be that cheap though. Also places like Delta, Surrey, and Tswwassen/Ladner have properties like this as well.

They are available, but anything close is going to cost a pretty penny.
When I say close... I mean within like an hour or so drive away from Vancouver.. I'm willing to commute that long to work but anything more then that it's probably not worth it for me.

Old
08-21-2012, 08:32 AM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Straka View Post
When I say close... I mean within like an hour or so drive away from Vancouver.. I'm willing to commute that long to work but anything more then that it's probably not worth it for me.
Surrey, Ladner and Delta are about your only choices then.

Old
08-21-2012, 08:42 AM
Marty Straka
Don't Stop Believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
Surrey, Ladner and Delta are about your only choices then.
Are they nice safe family friendly areas?

Old
08-21-2012, 08:47 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Cloverdale is not "out in the valley".

Its between langley and surrey.

Old
08-21-2012, 08:49 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
Your commute will depend on traffic and specifically construction.

White Rock is about an hour away.

Depends where you work.

Out of curiosity why Vancouver?

Old
08-21-2012, 09:09 AM
guest1467

Quote:
Are they nice safe family friendly areas?
There are not many places in Vancouver that aren't. Depends what you mean by that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonny Bohonos View Post

I am not sure why I said Cloverdale, I meant Abbotsford.

Old
08-21-2012, 09:18 AM
Marty Straka
Don't Stop Believin'

Quote:
Your commute will depend on traffic and specifically construction.

White Rock is about an hour away.

Depends where you work.

Out of curiosity why Vancouver?
I really like the area... also we have some good friends who live out there... Also love the climate compared to here where winters can go down to -35 with crazy snow blizzards. I also am looking to get into Sports Management after finishing my political Science degree here and have some contacts over there who could possibly help me out in that sense. I am also fully billingual which I would hope gives me a leg up for certain positions. My girlfriend just finished her Bachelor's in Psychology and is looking to go back to school for Nursing and BC is one of the provinces who have some high payscales for Nurses so that's another advantage. Out of HS my girlfriend always wanted to apply to UBC but her parents wouldn't allow it... So we've decided that maybe it's the time to finally give the West a shot.

Old
08-21-2012, 09:48 AM
whuttheeperson

I have lived in Vancouver most of my life, growing up in Kits and recently moving to mount pleasant/main st neighbourhood.

Kits is great but I am probably thinking of when it was an upper-middle class neighborhood when I was a kid, now it's become the go to place for yuppie types and that sort of young doucher crowd as opposed to the relaxed, laid back place I felt it used to be. I would probably still live there if it was cheaper though, due to its proximity to the beach, downtown and siegels bagels

However I love living on main st, you kind of trade the douches for the hipsters which can be quite annoying, I think the things that these groups have in common that I don't like is an arrogant attitude or a sense of unearned superiority, either material or intellectual. However, once you get past that I feel Vancouver is still a really friendly city and everyone is really polite, which I like. Mount Pleasant is amazing because of its proximity to QE Park, which is great if you like playing sports like myself whether its drop-in ball hockey, basketball, tennis or pitch and putt or taking advantage of the huge fields next to Nat Bailey. I never really went to Hillcrest community centre but they have indoor/outdoor pools and a gym and an ice rink. It's super easy to get anywhere in the city as you can take the 41 to metrotown, UBC and you can take the bus down Main to get DT really easily. Not to mention the cambie line is right there so you can quickly get DT or richmond. The rent is relatively cheap (to kits) and I was happy paying $600 for a room in a nice 4br house I share with some friends. You're only a quick walk from many bars and great restaurants on Main st. My bedroom also looks over the mountains.

I would really recommend living here to anyone who may want to move to Vancouver but can't afford to pay crazy prices like in Kits or False Creek.

As for all the people who didn't really like living in Vancouver. Please. Leave. Rent is too damn high anyway! It's not for everybody, obviously it lends itself to people who like outdoor activities and the 'arts community' may not meet your standards but I would say go to Montreal and talk about random abstract art all you please, i'll drive you to the airport.

Vancouver is a great place to live, you've got snowboarding and the Canucks to keep you happy during the Winter, the beautiful weather, beaches and surrounding nature in the summer, and hot girls all year round

Old
08-21-2012, 12:49 PM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by whuttheeperson View Post
I have lived in Vancouver most of my life, growing up in Kits and recently moving to mount pleasant/main st neighbourhood.

Kits is great but I am probably thinking of when it was an upper-middle class neighborhood when I was a kid, now it's become the go to place for yuppie types and that sort of young doucher crowd as opposed to the relaxed, laid back place I felt it used to be. I would probably still live there if it was cheaper though, due to its proximity to the beach, downtown and siegels bagels

However I love living on main st, you kind of trade the douches for the hipsters which can be quite annoying, I think the things that these groups have in common that I don't like is an arrogant attitude or a sense of unearned superiority, either material or intellectual. However, once you get past that I feel Vancouver is still a really friendly city and everyone is really polite, which I like. Mount Pleasant is amazing because of its proximity to QE Park, which is great if you like playing sports like myself whether its drop-in ball hockey, basketball, tennis or pitch and putt or taking advantage of the huge fields next to Nat Bailey. I never really went to Hillcrest community centre but they have indoor/outdoor pools and a gym and an ice rink. It's super easy to get anywhere in the city as you can take the 41 to metrotown, UBC and you can take the bus down Main to get DT really easily. Not to mention the cambie line is right there so you can quickly get DT or richmond. The rent is relatively cheap (to kits) and I was happy paying $600 for a room in a nice 4br house I share with some friends. You're only a quick walk from many bars and great restaurants on Main st. My bedroom also looks over the mountains.

I would really recommend living here to anyone who may want to move to Vancouver but can't afford to pay crazy prices like in Kits or False Creek.

As for all the people who didn't really like living in Vancouver. Please. Leave. Rent is too damn high anyway! It's not for everybody, obviously it lends itself to people who like outdoor activities and the 'arts community' may not meet your standards but I would say go to Montreal and talk about random abstract art all you please, i'll drive you to the airport.

Vancouver is a great place to live, you've got snowboarding and the Canucks to keep you happy during the Winter, the beautiful weather, beaches and surrounding nature in the summer, and hot girls all year round
Yuppies are just hipsters with money... or Hipsters are yuppies without money..

Old
08-21-2012, 08:04 PM
thefeebster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
I do hope I'm not crossing any boundaries here. I do feel bad for those who do not enjoy the smell if they have not smoked it but that being said, it is Vancouver. I mean, I go downtown and all I smell is marijuana and cigarette smoke. It would be pretty tough to me if you were not able to bear that smell and live in Vancouver. And to go on record, I don't know why they don't just legalize it...but it is what it is. I do agree with medhatcanuck, a weird choice of place to live if you weren't able to bear it :/
I think what you've said is fair. I don't think its as bad downtown as you described, i live down here and walk everywhere and its not unbearable. It's tough at times, sure but as I mentioned, its something i can and have adjusted to. I feel nauseous at the smell of pot, but i hate 2nd hand smoke from cigs just as much if not more. When i see someone smoking outside a building or approaching me holding a cig, I will hold my breath and walk faster to get out of the smoke cloud. The 2nd hand smoke here is bad, but when i visited Montreal this May, i thought it was even worse and was really unbearable. Only thing i disliked about my visit there.

People can smoke whatever they want, I just don't want to be forced to smell it. There are several reasons as to why i live here, but i don't think my disdain for this (pot/2nd hand smoke) overweighs that or calls my choice of where to live in question.

Old
08-21-2012, 09:27 PM
Anodyne

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiCanucks View Post
In terms of legalizing it. I'm with you, it's not something I've tried before but from what I've seen, what I've learned it's not NEARLY as bad as alcohol. Tax it heavily and it could be a win-win. It's one of those things I think is merely a matter of time. The topic, while less so now, is still somewhat taboo.
Not to go too off topic, but I disagree (or at least find to be a matter of a long time). Even if Harper did a 360 on pot and the Conservatives ended their crime crackdown, the U.S. is always going to pressure our government out of legalizing it (like it did last time). Legalization here may come soon after the U.S.'s, but who knows when that could be? Half that country still needs dragging into the fifteenth century.

I'd like for it to be legal and think legalization could benefit society in a number of ways, but whatever. In this town at this point, it doesn't make that big of a difference. While people in Canada in general are pretty tolerant about it, absolutely no one in Vancouver cares. Most cops in this town have a pretty good sense of what constitutes a real crime and what petty **** doesn't need policing. And even in this thread, you can tell the people who hate pot don't feel the need to report it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine17 View Post
I agree with this a lot.

Lived in the city for a year & a half around Langara. Vancouver is beautiful for the 3 months when its sunny but the rest of the time it is gloomy. Whenever people ask me my opinion I have on living in Vancouver I say "Over priced & overrated", it really is a place where you need to have a job that pays a lot better then $10/hr. My biggest pet peeve is the transit system, great to get around, fantastic timing but the way they pack people in & how rude people are disgusts me. When in Richmond the amount of young asian males that continually don't give their seats to old folks & pretend to sleep when the old folks try to ask to sit down makes me want to slap someone.

Also if you're not in school or from here I found it a little hard to make friends. Too many up tight cliches or flakes.
I've found that to be the biggest downside to living in Vancouver. It's very tough to make friends. Compared to Toronto and Montreal, people don't seem that interested in broadening themselves socially. If you move here without any connections, it can take a long time to build up a social circle.

I've also found the Canada Line to be a lot harsher than Expo/Millennium (people give up their seats to those who need them, say excuse me when getting off, etc.).

Old
08-21-2012, 09:35 PM
Taco Fingerhat

vCash: 4420
Quote:
Originally Posted by whuttheeperson View Post

I live in Mount Pleasant and pretty much echo these sentiments. I have zero problem with the people though. Everyone I meet around Mt Pleasant is super nice.There is no other neighborhood in Canada I would rather live in.

Old
08-21-2012, 09:53 PM
John Swartzwelder
MOAR TUFFNESS!!!1

vCash: 50
I went to vancouver downtown today, just for an hour. I saw so many hipsters, much too high hipster saturation.

Not impressed!

I'd say it's even higher than victoria's saturation!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old
08-21-2012, 11:06 PM
LeftCoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco Fingerhat View Post
I live in Mount Pleasant and pretty much echo these sentiments. I have zero problem with the people though. Everyone I meet around Mt Pleasant is super nice.There is no other neighborhood in Canada I would rather live in.
I'm near Main and 49th and I really like it here. My house is now over 100 years old - so my only complaint would be lack of closet space, but I can't argue about the equity gain in my home over the last 8 years.

I have family out in the valley and there are some definite advantages - cul-de-sacs and neighbourhoods where kids can play street hockey or ride their bikes, much larger and newer houses, etc., but everything is drive away.

The neighbourhood had some crime problems when we first moved here in 2004, but with rising housing prices and gentrification has come lower crime.

Old
08-21-2012, 11:53 PM
Reverend Mayhem
Freeway's closed man

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
I think what you've said is fair. I don't think its as bad downtown as you described, i live down here and walk everywhere and its not unbearable. It's tough at times, sure but as I mentioned, its something i can and have adjusted to. I feel nauseous at the smell of pot, but i hate 2nd hand smoke from cigs just as much if not more. When i see someone smoking outside a building or approaching me holding a cig, I will hold my breath and walk faster to get out of the smoke cloud. The 2nd hand smoke here is bad, but when i visited Montreal this May, i thought it was even worse and was really unbearable. Only thing i disliked about my visit there.

People can smoke whatever they want, I just don't want to be forced to smell it. There are several reasons as to why i live here, but i don't think my disdain for this (pot/2nd hand smoke) overweighs that or calls my choice of where to live in question.
I used to get the same feeling with pot whenever I smelt it. Cigarettes are 10 times worse for me now in that regard. Awful stuff. Doubt pot will ever be legal in my life, though as Anodyne said. Too bad as well. It has plenty of medicinal benefits and has lots of money in that business. Two facts I were surprised to learn is that marijuana crops are the second largest crop in BC (next to corn) and one of the active ingredients in marijuana (cannabinoids) are found in human breast milk.

Old
08-22-2012, 10:09 AM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoast View Post
I'm near Main and 49th and I really like it here. My house is now over 100 years old - so my only complaint would be lack of closet space, but I can't argue about the equity gain in my home over the last 8 years.

I have family out in the valley and there are some definite advantages - cul-de-sacs and neighbourhoods where kids can play street hockey or ride their bikes, much larger and newer houses, etc., but everything is drive away.

The neighbourhood had some crime problems when we first moved here in 2004, but with rising housing prices and gentrification has come lower crime.
1. Why didn't people have more stuff 100 years ago so they would have needed bigger closets.

2. I like that gentrification has become a good word.

Old
08-22-2012, 11:40 AM
ziploc

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigcaulks View Post
1. Why didn't people have more stuff 100 years ago so they would have needed bigger closets.

2. I like that gentrification has become a good word.
Gentrification is a good or bad word depending on where your stand. If you are the person doing the gentrifying, or if your property values are skyrocketing, of course you like it. If you are getting priced out of a community that you have lived in for decades, and told that you have no real stake in the community, maybe not so much.

Old
08-22-2012, 12:00 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziploc View Post
Gentrification is a good or bad word depending on where your stand. If you are the person doing the gentrifying, or if your property values are skyrocketing, of course you like it. If you are getting priced out of a community that you have lived in for decades, and told that you have no real stake in the community, maybe not so much.
Like I said, a good word.

Old
08-22-2012, 01:46 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:

In Vancouver-speak, anything east of Boundary is "out in the valley".

And that's an improvement - used to be anything east of Fraser.

Old
08-22-2012, 02:30 PM
ziploc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
In Vancouver-speak, anything east of Boundary is "out in the valley".

And that's an improvement - used to be anything east of Fraser.
And anything south of Marine Drive is uncharted wilderness, probably filled with bears and Americans.

Of course, anything north of Lonsdale Quay actually is uncharted wilderness, certainly filled with bears and, strangely, Australians.

Old
08-22-2012, 02:42 PM
Marty Straka
Don't Stop Believin'

Random question... before I move out to Vancouver or the surrounding area I'd like to try and lign up some interviews/jobs.. Do you think being fully Bilingual gives me a leg up on others? Are their positions out there looking for Bilingual individuals like myself? How open do you think people would be to contacting me if im still in ottawa for an interview? Are phone interviews even used anymore? lol It's really weird looking for a job after being in a student position for almost 4 years at CRA here but now that im graduating it's time to look for greener pastures.

Old
08-22-2012, 03:19 PM
dave babych returns

There's not a lot of business done in French in this part of the world, if that's what you're asking.

Old
08-22-2012, 03:22 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Random question... before I move out to Vancouver or the surrounding area I'd like to try and lign up some interviews/jobs.. Do you think being fully Bilingual gives me a leg up on others? Are their positions out there looking for Bilingual individuals like myself? How open do you think people would be to contacting me if im still in ottawa for an interview? Are phone interviews even used anymore? lol It's really weird looking for a job after being in a student position for almost 4 years at CRA here but now that im graduating it's time to look for greener pastures.
It certainly would help you with federal positions in BC. Unless you meant bilingual English/Chinese, then you are the right track.

Old
08-22-2012, 03:25 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Unless you are applying for government sector jobs, I don't think it will play much of a role, if at all. There is very little or no French in BC.

(Could also help out in government service jobs too, ie education or healthcare).

Old
08-22-2012, 04:04 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Depends on the field you're looking to go into. If you're in any kind of position that involves dealing with clients/customers, then yes, being multi-lingual is a big, big asset.

Closed Thread