HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why isn't the farm team in or near Montreal?

Old
08-20-2012, 12:33 PM
Habs Junkie

vCash: 500
Why isn't the farm team in or near Montreal?

Just a question I was asking myself... Why aren't the Bulldogs located in the Montreal area or even Quebec. Just like Toronto, I think the Canadiens should have their farm team close by. I think it would help the development of our prospects by introducing them to the Quebec culture before making the jump to the big league. It would also give us fans an opportunity to watch live games more often. A Canadiens AHL team in the Montreal area would probably do better then the Impact or Allouettes.

It seems logical to me, but why hasn't this been done?

Habs Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 12:42 PM
poetryinmotion

Where would they play, at the Bell? Probably costs too much.

poetryinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 12:44 PM
ti-vite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs Junkie View Post
Just a question I was asking myself... Why aren't the Bulldogs located in the Montreal area or even Quebec. Just like Toronto, I think the Canadiens should have their farm team close by. I think it would help the development of our prospects by introducing them to the Quebec culture before making the jump to the big league. It would also give us fans an opportunity to watch live games more often. A Canadiens AHL team in the Montreal area would probably do better then the Impact or Allouettes.

Was in Quebec before, as well as Sherbrooke. Edit; sorry that was Fredericton not SHerbrooke. But there was an AHL team in Sherbrooke once.

ti-vite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 12:45 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

New 10,000 seats arena being built in Laval. Wouldn't be shocked if our farm team moved there in 2014.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 12:54 PM
JohnnyB11

Quote:

Might be just me, but I have spent a couple of summers working in Montreal and I didn't experience any significant 'culture shock' - it's similar in many ways to other large Canadian/American cities. And distance-wise, Hamilton is plenty close enough as far as AHL teams go. Just look to the Winnipeg Jets to see how much distance there can be - I think the distance thing makes very ltitle difference.

JohnnyB11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 01:03 PM
shutehinside

I think that in the past, the baby Habs just weren't a sustainable draw to stay profitable.

It's also important to remeber that the Habs don't own the Bullsdogs. They have an affiliation with them but not ownership. This is probably another reason why the Bulldogs aren't in Quebec.

As harry mentioned above, this may change with the new arena being built in Laval. I'd imagine this would be home to the new baby Habs, especially seeing as the new regime seems to want to have as many Quebec roots as possible.

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 01:16 PM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

Quote:
Just a question I was asking myself... Why aren't the Bulldogs located in the Montreal area or even Quebec.
The owner of the Bulldogs doesn't want to move them out of Hamilton, so Habs have to find another AHL team to relocate if they wish to do that.

Habs Prospects website
habsprospects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 01:22 PM
Valois

I agree that it would make a lot of sense to have them in Montreal, but geez, I have to have something hockey related to look forward to when I'm back in the GTA.

Valois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 01:27 PM
RC51

I remember the old days of the black aces playing at the forum.
So don't tell me it can't be done.
But if the Habs had a bunch or their own prospects playing in Laval, the place would be packed. The only reason the old black aces mover away was because the price of HAB tickets were way still affordable and everyone wanted to see the real Habs.
Now that you can't buy a cheap ticket anymore for the Habs, actually you can't buy a ticket at all unless it's from the scalpers. Laval arena would sell out.

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 01:28 PM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsprospects View Post
The owner of the Bulldogs doesn't want to move them out of Hamilton, so Habs have to find another AHL team to relocate if they wish to do that.
And since the Michael Andlauer, owner of the Bulldogs is also part of the Molson's ownership group I doubt the relationship will be terminated any time soon.

The Bulldogs franchise will be the Habs farm team for the forseeable future and it certainly is in the best interest to maintain the relationship from an ownership point of view. Selfishly, I enjoy being able to see Habs prospects in the GTA.

Last edited by Captain Smurf: 08-20-2012 at 01:34 PM.
Captain Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 01:29 PM
goman

Could also be about giving their prospects a place to play and get used to the professional game away from the microscopic evaluation and judgment of Habs-crazy media and fans.

That being said, it makes sense from the perspective of helping the management keep track of their prospects that could ultimately really help both the development of prospects and the team's understanding of what the actually have. Could help with planning the team's direction and possibly making trades.

I dunno. I think they may as well get used to it. Junior guys aren't going to be affected and most college guys and Europeans are coming in later anyway so they won't be babies. Maybe it would even make it more likely that European prospects would come over earlier, knowing they'd be playing in Montreal, not Hamilton, one way or another (no offense to Hamilton).

I vote for the team in Laval.

goman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 01:44 PM
11Goat11
Inside her

Probably the same reason the Leafs farm team is a bust in Toronto. People in these markets like NHL or junior hockey and not in between like the AHL. I work in Hamilton and hardly get to any Bulldogs games now for the same reason, like most Hab fans here and there are a lot of them. I go see the Niagara Ice Dogs play more although I will probably go to more Dogs games this year as there are a few prospects I'd like to see play.

11Goat11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 02:31 PM
Shutdown

Quote:
He's part of the Habs ownership group as well, doubt they find a different affiliate.

Last edited by Shutdown: 08-20-2012 at 02:56 PM.
Shutdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 02:51 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
This is the last year the Dogs are under contract with the Habs if I recall correctly, so we'll see if they are re-upped or not.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 03:06 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 827
There is little or no ''culture shock'' outside french and good poutine.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 03:27 PM
Mue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Smurf View Post
Selfishly, I enjoy being able to see Habs prospects in the GTA.
Same.

I'm a 10 minute streetcar ride away from Ricoh and a pretty easy drive to Hamilton.

Works great for me!

Mue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 03:30 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Smurf View Post
And since the Michael Andlauer, owner of the Bulldogs is also part of the Molson's ownership group I doubt the relationship will be terminated any time soon.

The Bulldogs franchise will be the Habs farm team for the forseeable future and it certainly is in the best interest to maintain the relationship from an ownership point of view. Selfishly, I enjoy being able to see Habs prospects in the GTA.
Not so selfish. There are a lot of Habs fans in Ontario, having the farm team there is a legitimate way to reward that fanbase.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 03:32 PM
Team_Spirit
Gangsta Pleks

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
There is little or no ''culture shock'' outside french and good poutine.
And playing in Ottawa or Montreal is the same 'shock' for any Russian or Czech player.

NHL players have it good man most are a short inter continental flight from home.

Footballers leave their native South America or Africa to go in England,Russia or Spain..

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 03:39 PM
76ftw

I wish they'd move it back to Fredericton, would go to so many games during the school year

76ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 03:53 PM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
This is the last year the Dogs are under contract with the Habs if I recall correctly, so we'll see if they are re-upped or not.
Again, Andlauer owns the Bulldogs outright and is a part of the ownership group of the Habs. They'll be re-upped if he remains a part of Montreal's ownership.

Captain Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 03:59 PM
Jigger77

Would be great to have them, or at least an AHL team in Laval or the Montreal area.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 04:36 PM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryHabs View Post
New 10,000 seats arena being built in Laval. Wouldn't be shocked if our farm team moved there in 2014.
This is very possible but I guess it would depend on if they feel there is a market for it. Junior teams have not worked recently in Montreal and Laval so I guess depends on if someone wants to take a chance on it.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 04:37 PM
Beendair Donedat

There was no support for the Montreal Rocket when they were in town, which is why they moved to PEI.

Beendair Donedat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 04:40 PM
habitue*

With a new arena in Laval, I expect the Habs to make a move to bring their AHL team there.

Quebec City doesn't want an AHL team, especially a Montreal's affiliate ! with a new arena in 3 years and NO NHL team to play in, they might think about it...

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 04:42 PM
Jigger77

Personally I'd be much more inclined to go see the AHL version of the Habs than a Junior team. Just me though.

Actually I kind of wish they were here now, would be a great alternative during a lockout.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote