HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pegula and the Potential Lockout

Old
08-20-2012, 07:19 AM
Ness
@KetchTime

vCash: 500
Pegula and the Potential Lockout

This crossed my mind - I don't know too much about the threat of this lockout, but I do know that it's mainly Owners vs. Players. So I was wondering, does anyone know where Pegula stands on the CBA negotiations? The owners are the ones who are appearing to be ******** right now, and Pegula is the owner of the Sabres, soo... do we have reason to be upset with him? Or does anyone know if he is on the side of the players?

Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 07:43 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Pegula is 1 owner out of 30. He can obviously provide input to Bettman and the negotiating team as to what he wants to see, but that's it.

It doesn't make any sense to blame him or give him credit with this.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 09:36 AM
barcs

he'd dig for some oil if he cared about the money, i am told.

barcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 11:04 AM
LGB24

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcs View Post
he'd dig for some oil if he cared about the money, i am told.
Yeah I can't imagine Pegula is one of the owners pushing for the best deal here, I'm sure he wants a deal to be done as much as we do.

LGB24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 11:10 AM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

If I'm Terry Pegula, having said everything he did about spending whatever it takes and having no values above team championships, I would be pushing for the deal that best facilitates competitive imbalance between the haves and the have-nots, and then get the players back on the ice ASAP.

Of course, I think this would put him far outside the mainstream of owner concerns, so I expect his voice is largely silent or else ignored in these negotiations.

haseoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 11:15 AM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
I imagine he's leaving the business discussions mostly to Ted Black with one instruction: "Whatever helps us to win sooner".

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 11:47 AM
jamers
McTankel Mechanic

I doubt Pegula is keen on a lockout, but like others have said, I'm not sure how much pull he has yet, being a junior owner still. That said, I'm sure he (and Black) have some issues they'd like to see addressed personally, because these things are never perfect.

jamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 12:05 PM
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
I imagine he's leaving the business discussions mostly to Ted Black with one instruction: "Whatever helps us to win sooner".
2nd instruction to Big Daddy Ted:

"Don't let them ban sharks with frickin laser beams."

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 12:38 PM
HiddenInLight

TBH, him being as big of a fan as he was before purchasing the team, I'm sure he is of the oppinion of "Whatever gets the players back on the ice fastest"

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 12:48 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

I doubt that Pegula has much impact in the CBA talks given that he's owned the team less than 24 months.

Guys like Jeremy Jacobs have always been the ones that have been driving the ship when it comes to CBA talks. I doubt that dynamic has changed all that much.

It would be interesting to compare which owners exactly are on the NHL's negotiating team/executive board between now and the last CBA debacle.

WhoIsJimBob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 01:18 PM
Armond White
Go Sabres!

He'd probably sign off on anything.

Armond White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 08:59 AM
punkr0x

Why shouldn't Pegula have a big voice in what happens? He's not only putting a lot of money into the NHL, but also hockey development in America. His commitment to his franchise is unquestioned. He brings stability to an organization that has been unstable in recent years. I understand he's the new guy in the room, but Bettman and the other owners should be very glad to have him there.

I'm sure he's pushing very hard to have his players on the ice opening day.

punkr0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 09:03 AM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkr0x View Post
Why shouldn't Pegula have a big voice in what happens? He's not only putting a lot of money into the NHL, but also hockey development in America. His commitment to his franchise is unquestioned. He brings stability to an organization that has been unstable in recent years. I understand he's the new guy in the room, but Bettman and the other owners should be very glad to have him there.

Because Pegula's message of "let me buy my Stanley Cups, screw the bottom line, go drill some wells, Jeremy Jacobs, and get everybody back on the ice pronto!" is likely well outside of the interests of 29 other owners.

haseoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 09:07 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkr0x View Post

Simple: he's a rookie owner.

Like any other business, those with more seniority and clout get the biggest voice in something like this.

I'm sure that Pegula can give his two cents. I just think that Bettman is going to listen to Jacobs, Ilitch, and others more.

WhoIsJimBob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 09:48 AM
jamers
McTankel Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
Simple: he's a rookie owner.

Like any other business, those with more seniority and clout get the biggest voice in something like this.

I'm sure that Pegula can give his two cents. I just think that Bettman is going to listen to Jacobs, Ilitch, and others more.
Yep, it's like any other social group in that sense -- difficult to join and have a strong voice right away.

jamers is offline   Reply With Quote