HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

[PHI] Scott Hartnell signs six year extension 4.75 Cap Hit, 28.5 million total w/ NMC

Old
08-21-2012, 01:32 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
All this respect from Pens fans is disorienting. When everything else is my world is a mess, I can look to my relationship with the Penguins and their fans and feel secure in knowing exactly how to engage and regard them at all times. It makes me feel grounded. Now it's like....

I mean, what's permanent and true in a world where Pens fans and Flyers fan can get along. I just don't know about anything anymore. I am defeated by kindness.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 01:34 AM
Tyler Biggs*
Go Leafs Go!

I just find it so weird how management and players are getting along so well in their own boardrooms to sign all these extensions and new contracts this summer but when it comes to a new CBA they tell us they are miles apart. Neither side can be that upset with the current system if these deals are still happening.

Tyler Biggs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 03:25 AM
markisonfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
All this respect from Pens fans is disorienting. When everything else is my world is a mess, I can look to my relationship with the Penguins and their fans and feel secure in knowing exactly how to engage and regard them at all times. It makes me feel grounded. Now it's like....

I mean, what's permanent and true in a world where Pens fans and Flyers fan can get along. I just don't know about anything anymore. I am defeated by kindness.
Don't let your guard down you fool, it's part of their plan!

markisonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 04:02 AM
wej20

probably took a little less to get that important NMC. Contract should be great value for the first three years, I'm not sure how good it will look in the last two years but with the way the cap is going it's unlikely to be a problem.

wej20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 05:01 AM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by markisonfire View Post
Don't let your guard down you fool, it's part of their plan!
It's a trap!

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 05:26 AM
YouCantYandleThis*
Moustache Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Mad Bro View Post
Scott Hartnell and mediocre shouldn't be in the same sentence. He's not a superstar, but he's a damn good player.

lol.

A guy talking about being overpaid when he has a Rick Nash avatar.

lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
How is Hartnell mediocre?
I wasn't trying to say Hartnell is mediocre. I suppose I just worded it wrong.

Hartnell is a fantastic player who I would love to have on the Canucks, and would pay handsomely for. I love the guy.

I was just saying, that Holmgren doesn't have any mediocre players on large contracts. Or ridiculous second contracts for unproven RFA's. Doesn't seem to be his MO.

YouCantYandleThis* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 05:57 AM
Blueland89

Great signing he's the heart and soul of that team a great leader and probably my favorite player in the league

Blueland89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 06:23 AM
Jill Sandwich
Master of Unlocking

Send a message via MSN to Jill Sandwich
I'm a Pens fan, and I wish we could've signed him for that deal.

Jill Sandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 06:31 AM
seanlinden

I think the Flyers will come to regret this deal. Yeah, it's only $4.75m which may get rolled back, but when you compare it to a contract like Wayne Simmonds', I think the Flyers are asking for trouble. Yeah, Hartnell is a proven 20+ guy that scored 37 this year, but he's also 30 and plays a style that doesn't exactly lead to longevity. With Simmonds, you have a guy who's career is probably on it's way up, with Hartnell, that likely isn't the case.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 06:49 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrindamoursNose View Post
The guy with the Nash avatar is going to call a player overpaid?4.75 a year is pretty awesome for Hartnell.
Really.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 06:57 AM
thelos
Bunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
I think the Flyers will come to regret this deal. Yeah, it's only $4.75m which may get rolled back, but when you compare it to a contract like Wayne Simmonds', I think the Flyers are asking for trouble. Yeah, Hartnell is a proven 20+ guy that scored 37 this year, but he's also 30 and plays a style that doesn't exactly lead to longevity. With Simmonds, you have a guy who's career is probably on it's way up, with Hartnell, that likely isn't the case.
Hartnell hasn't missed much time as a Flyer. 3 games in 5 years, and some of those 3 were due to suspension

thelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 07:41 AM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
~$1M-$1.5M overpaid. Doesn't seem like much, but that's what gets fans looking at you when the team's doing bad or if you're slumping.
If Hartnell signed for 6 years at $3.25m that would most likely be the biggest bargain of a long term deal anyone has ever seen a veteran sign.

Unless you're saying $1-$1.5m total. In that case, no, nobody is going to be complaining because he's making $4.75m instead of $4.55m.

Last edited by Juicy Couturier*: 08-21-2012 at 07:49 AM.
Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 08:11 AM
hockeydoug

I wonder how much the NMC cost Hartnell. The way Holmgren throws money around, I'm surprised he didn't pay another 3-5 million on the contract (or whatever it would have taken) to get rid of it.

Great cap hit for the player and I'm a fan of having key players going through a year without contract distractions.

I'm scratching my head on these deals though. The NMC is a dangerous precedent to bring back since he'll have some big contracts to write the next 15 months or so. Why spend so much on Simmonds if he was close to an agreement with Hartnell too?

I like the Hartnell contract, but I think this takes some of the value away from the Simmonds contract so I don't like the two together very well. Paul loves making big moves.

hockeydoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 08:22 AM
clydesdale line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowe Me View Post
Suck it, Phaneuf.
Ok, this post needs more love.

Outstanding.

clydesdale line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 08:29 AM
Luck 6
\\_______

How on earth are people calling Hartnell overpaid? I was expecting him to sign for about 5mil, I think he could have got 5.75mil easily in free agency. I do agree that this may turn into a bad deal for the last 2-3 years of the contract, and they won't be able to move him because of the NMC. I guess that's the risk you take to keep the cap hit down.

Luck 6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 08:41 AM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
How on earth are people calling Hartnell overpaid? I was expecting him to sign for about 5mil, I think he could have got 5.75mil easily in free agency. I do agree that this may turn into a bad deal for the last 2-3 years of the contract, and they won't be able to move him because of the NMC. I guess that's the risk you take to keep the cap hit down.
It could also turn into a great deal if he stays around the point totals from last year.

With him finally done with all of his divorce stuff, he had a chance to focus on only hockey this year and then this year happened. Will be good stuff

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 09:01 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post

Just because we can admit there is good value in some things done in Philly doesn't mean we hate you any less. We still hate him and you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
Didn't he just have the best season of his career? Also, I really hope Simmonds doesn't improve to Hartnell levels. I don't see him ever having a year like Fartsmell just had.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 09:46 AM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

2007 First, the gift that keeps on giving.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 09:46 AM
Stephen

In terms of crazy long term contracts, the Philadelphia Flyers really seem to walk on water.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 09:53 AM
thelos
Bunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
2007 First, the gift that keeps on giving.
Or Forsberg really.

thelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 09:54 AM
dfunk

vCash: 550
This deal makes Shane Doan look like a ******

dfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 09:58 AM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

Excellent deal for a player that just seems to love not only playing hockey, but loves to interact with the fans. Good job by PH.

The French Canadian rule: Read about it, go to bed smarter.

http://ultimatehockeynetwork.com/the...-or-fiction-2/
loadie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 10:08 AM
eyeball11

Nice to see a reasonable deal.

eyeball11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 10:25 AM
GaryU

Good deal both ways.

GaryU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 11:38 AM
Candyman

Hate the man.
Hate the player.
Hate the team.

I'd say he does a hell of a job. Good deal for Philly.

Candyman is offline   Reply With Quote