HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[PHI] Scott Hartnell signs six year extension 4.75 Cap Hit, 28.5 million total w/ NMC

Old
08-21-2012, 11:40 AM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 690
Nice for Hartnell. Actually like him as a player.

08-21-2012, 12:15 PM
The Expert
Registered Expert

vCash: 500
Good deal for Philly, Hartnell is sick.

The Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 02:14 PM
Whydidijoin*

Good price for now, but once again, I'm not convinced he will be worth this when he is 37.

Whydidijoin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 02:22 PM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whydidijoin View Post
Good price for now, but once again, I'm not convinced he will be worth this when he is 37.
What age do you think Hartnell will "not be worth it"?

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 02:27 PM
Whydidijoin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotbubbles View Post
What age do you think Hartnell will "not be worth it"?
Well, if he regresses back to previous seasons, a lot sooner. If he continues on the path he is now, I can't see a player like him holding up much past the age of 35.

This is probably a kind of deal that should be expected at this point. I think it was a mistake to sign him to an extension this early though. Even if contracts are limited to 5 years, which is highly unlikely, that seems like something that would be a benefit to Philly, and not a detriment.

Whydidijoin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 02:43 PM
99 steps
to the top

Fair deal for the Flyers, except the part about the NMC.

99 steps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 02:45 PM
MVW

vCash: 50
I like it, glad to see Harts staying in Philly for a long time. He really is the identity of a Flyer.

MVW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 03:43 PM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whydidijoin View Post
Well, if he regresses back to previous seasons, a lot sooner. If he continues on the path he is now, I can't see a player like him holding up much past the age of 35.

This is probably a kind of deal that should be expected at this point. I think it was a mistake to sign him to an extension this early though. Even if contracts are limited to 5 years, which is highly unlikely, that seems like something that would be a benefit to Philly, and not a detriment.
The guy pretty consistently scores ~25 goals a year and adds another 25-30 assists. If he regresses back to his previous seasons he'll simply be worth this contract. If he continues on last seasons pace, he's an absolute steal. And the last year of the deal is what brings it down to below 5M AAV. So doing it now makes more sense.

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 06:31 PM
JS19

That's a sweet contract, another nice job by Holmgren.

JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 06:53 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeydoug View Post
I wonder how much the NMC cost Hartnell. The way Holmgren throws money around, I'm surprised he didn't pay another 3-5 million on the contract (or whatever it would have taken) to get rid of it.

Great cap hit for the player and I'm a fan of having key players going through a year without contract distractions.

I'm scratching my head on these deals though. The NMC is a dangerous precedent to bring back since he'll have some big contracts to write the next 15 months or so. Why spend so much on Simmonds if he was close to an agreement with Hartnell too?

I like the Hartnell contract, but I think this takes some of the value away from the Simmonds contract so I don't like the two together very well. Paul loves making big moves.
Homer throws around more NM/TC's than he does money

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 07:04 PM

I'm sure this move will be forgotten by the Flyerfans when it comes to assessing Holmgren, probably because he wasted a fifth round pick once.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 07:37 PM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1865 View Post
I'm sure this move will be forgotten by the Flyerfans when it comes to assessing Holmgren, probably because he wasted a fifth round pick once.
Agreed. Flyers fans forget about 5 great contracts because of one bad one.

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 07:44 PM
Viller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MintoMadDogsKiller18 View Post
I just find it so weird how management and players are getting along so well in their own boardrooms to sign all these extensions and new contracts this summer but when it comes to a new CBA they tell us they are miles apart. Neither side can be that upset with the current system if these deals are still happening.
You think Ed Snider likes the owners offer at all? Impossible. The more he can spend, the sooner he can retire. Theres not many owners like Ed Snider, the guy wants to win at all costs. You really think hes a fan of the 50mill cap? No way in hell.

Viller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 08:18 PM
BernieParent
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viller View Post
You think Ed Snider likes the owners offer at all? Impossible. The more he can spend, the sooner he can retire. Theres not many owners like Ed Snider, the guy wants to win at all costs. You really think hes a fan of the 50mill cap? No way in hell.
And Snider (in my inexpert, don't-even-live-in-Philly opinion) would rather chew off one of his own fingers than start paying other franchises to be better equipped to beat his team.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 08:41 PM
Antropovsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
I like it, glad to see Harts staying in Philly for a long time. He really is the identity of a Flyer.
Of a Flyer? Good player, but I wouldn't exactly call him intimidating in any way. I always thought the flyer identity was bruising.

Antropovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 09:42 PM
Tank To Win

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antropovsky View Post
Of a Flyer? Good player, but I wouldn't exactly call him intimidating in any way. I always thought the flyer identity was bruising.
More like Blue Collar.

Tank To Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 01:13 AM
WarriorofTime

Smart of him to get that NMC clause in there otherwise Hartnell would be playing somewhere like Winnipeg in 2 or 3 years.

WarriorofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 05:19 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antropovsky View Post
Maybe thirty five years ago. Everybody in the league is big an strong now.

When I think of the Flyers I don't think of Georges Laraque tough. I think of Ian Laperierre tough. I don't think anyone is going to argue that Ian laperierre was especially intimidating, but he was definitely tough. Tank to Win described it as blue collar. That is a great term for it, I think.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 05:46 AM
WhiskeyYourTheDevils

I hate the flyers with a burning passion, but this is a great signing. The guy does it all and for them, and he's a true team player. He's the kind of power forward that championship teams are made of. If Zach Parise can make almost 8M at like 40, Hartnell making less than 5M at 37 is a freaking steal.

When I first saw he signed I was expecting near 6M per.

WhiskeyYourTheDevils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 07:46 AM
whskybarJM

hes on WIP right now.

i am leaning towards thinking they should me him the captain. he completely gets it.

EDIT: my favorite thing of the day so fay

"No good deed goes unpunished, apparently. Not everyone is happy with Scott Hartnell's new six-year, $28.5 million contract extension. Some agents feel he sold himself well short of pending free agency after the 2012-13 season. "Everyone is asking what the [bleep] he just did," said one agent. ... He also got a limited no-movement clause, which is no small matter for any player in his late 30s, which he will be at the end of this deal. Yet he could have gotten at least $5.5 million and likely more in free agency next summer with a decent year. As a player rep, who is part of the negotiating committee on the next CBA, you can imagine his fellow members of the NHLPA probably aren't too happy, either." -csn

he loves philly. he wants to play in philly. everyone needs to get over it

Last edited by whskybarJM: 08-22-2012 at 10:07 AM.
whskybarJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 03:36 PM
Candyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by whskybarJM View Post

"No good deed goes unpunished, apparently. Not everyone is happy with Scott Hartnell's new six-year, $28.5 million contract extension. Some agents feel he sold himself well short of pending free agency after the 2012-13 season. "Everyone is asking what the [bleep] he just did," said one agent. ... He also got a limited no-movement clause, which is no small matter for any player in his late 30s, which he will be at the end of this deal. Yet he could have gotten at least $5.5 million and likely more in free agency next summer with a decent year. As a player rep, who is part of the negotiating committee on the next CBA, you can imagine his fellow members of the NHLPA probably aren't too happy, either." -csn

he loves philly. he wants to play in philly. everyone needs to get over it
I have no issue with guys taking discounts to play for a team they love and want to help. Crosby could have commanded 10M+ if he wanted and took a discount to help the Pens sign other complimentary players, I don't see an issue with that at all so long as the player is getting paid in the ballpark of what they deserve. (for example Malkin re-signing at 1M per year is not justifiable.)

Kudos to Fartsmell for trying to help his team I say.

Candyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 04:31 PM
flyershockey

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
And Snider (in my inexpert, don't-even-live-in-Philly opinion) would rather chew off one of his own fingers than start paying other franchises to be better equipped to beat his team.
This. Snider being against revenue sharing has nothing to do with him not wanting to spend money. It's no coincidence that the big market and annually competitive teams are the ones against revenue sharing. Why would any team that is fine with the way things are going want to pay more money to lesser teams to become more competitive?

Either way, great signing for the Flyers. I think he stands a very good chance to be the next captain of the team.

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 04:59 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
From the outside looking in, timonen is the only guy that makes sense to me. Hartnell, Giroux and Coburn with the A's.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 05:32 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1865 View Post
I'm sure the fans that wanted Hartnell waived in October will forget about this supposed genius deal when he goes back to his normal production.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 10:48 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haute Couturier View Post
I'm sure the fans that wanted Hartnell waived in October will forget about this supposed genius deal when he goes back to his normal production.
His usual production is 26 goals and 53 points(almost) per season. He had one really poor season with all his off ice issues. He is a great locker room leader and plays with plenty of grit and an edge to his game. 4.75 is a pretty good price for a guy that will be playing top line minutes with our budding young superstar center. He most likely will come somewhere around the numbers he put up this year. 4.75 is especially good considering when he signed his other contract, the amount the cap has went up. Homer did a good job here.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote