HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

AUS News

Old
05-16-2012, 02:57 PM
AUS Fan

vCash: 500
AUS News

This may be old news to some.

Dal signs new coach: http://www.hockeyscene.com/hockeysce...id=2&nid=12177

SFX D-Man signs with PHO: http://www.hockeyscene.com/hockeysce...id=2&nid=12167

AUS Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 03:01 PM
STUTOMMIES

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUS Fan View Post
This may be old news to some.

Dal signs new coach: http://www.hockeyscene.com/hockeysce...id=2&nid=12177

SFX D-Man signs with PHO: http://www.hockeyscene.com/hockeysce...id=2&nid=12167
Sorry friend, but your title is misleading to people. If it happens to a Squirrel it is AUS/CIS news. If it is any other team it doesn't qualify. I figured you would get that by now? Come on.

STUTOMMIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 09:16 PM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

USask announced their dates for UCup as March 14-17.

This is a week earlier than the last 5 years, so - the second half will be a bit shorter (16-12 split - my guess) which makes the first half more important this year.

Also means the season will start a week early - which will result in earlier exh. games (or some teams may skip a few exh. games given time and scheduling).

They could reduce the playoff rounds to all best of 3, but with the AUS getting the wildcard - this would implie a best of 5 in the second round.

Just an observation. We'll have to wait and see come July/Aug when the schedule is posted.

Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 10:39 PM
AUS Fan

One reason for the early schedule is that the CHL playoffs start the following weekend. This would make it difficult to secure the arena if the Blades are playing.

Old
06-12-2012, 12:20 AM
dale 1919

Quote:
One reason for the early schedule is that the CHL playoffs start the following weekend. This would make it difficult to secure the arena if the Blades are playing.
AUS FAN that is it exactly! The CHL playoffs begin the following weekend across the country!
We have tried for years to have our championships on the same weekend as the start of the CHL's first round of playoffs.

The CIS is not the main player in big markets like London Kitchner Guelph Windsor or any of the Ontario teams on the 401. Heck, include Halifax Moncton, anything in and around Ottawa, Montreal or Quebec. Also Vancouver Calgary Edmonton Lethbridge Regina and Saskatoon...
Places we have CIS Mens hockey. They can co exist with the CHL but never compete! Not with their playoffs IMO
The CIS and some of the sleepy heads in the OUA continue to think they can. The nationals in Freddy beach worked because they have no CHL rival. It was great there but the CIS needs other strong schools to bid to get the game to grow!! IMO again
It was a venue battle in Moncton
It was a venue battle in Kitchner/Waterloo/Guelph. ( Remember that one! I don't think they even presented the medals cuz the Rangers were about to come on for pregame warmup! There were more people there for the pregame warmup than the CIS gold medal game?)
It was a venue battle even in Edmonton.
It would have been another venue battle in Saskatoon. The Blades were going to be cooperative (they wanted a Friday evening game) but the date change makes it work seemlessly between the two parties.
If the date of the CIS finals continued to be the last weekend of March a conflict was going to exist in every CIS/CHL market.
Moving the date back a week might allow places like Western to bid and host in the big rink. It might allow some other CIS markets in Ontario CHL towns to bid. Heck the date change might even encourage a market like Halifax to bid. Big picture is important here. Going to Nippising all be it would be probably very successful for the host, going to Halifax or London would grow the game and its visibility?

dale 1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 05:33 AM
UNB Bruins Fan

Saskatoon is also hosting the Memorial Cup next year...I wonder how that will affect ticket sales.

UNB Bruins Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 07:16 AM
HockeySchools

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer View Post
USask announced their dates for UCup as March 14-17.

This is a week earlier than the last 5 years, so - the second half will be a bit shorter (16-12 split - my guess) which makes the first half more important this year.

Also means the season will start a week early - which will result in earlier exh. games (or some teams may skip a few exh. games given time and scheduling).

They could reduce the playoff rounds to all best of 3, but with the AUS getting the wildcard - this would implie a best of 5 in the second round.

Just an observation. We'll have to wait and see come July/Aug when the schedule is posted.
Season is starting on the same weekend as last year. This year, Friday, Oct. 12 is when the first games will be played. Many teams are having the regular 6-7 exhibition games, including a pre-season tournament at Acadia that a few teams are attending. A few, not all. I believe Queen's will be there, along with maybe another OUA team, as well. First half ends on Sat. Dec. 1st, with the second half starting back up on Friday, Jan. 4th. Regular season ends on Friday, Feb. 8th. Second half is very short and condensed.

Playoffs format is first round best of 3, second round best of 5, and AUS final best of 3. Both teams in final going to CIS, as you correctly noted.

HockeySchools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 01:05 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Just over a month for the second half...on top of the AUS sending players to the Universiade...that's going to be pretty tight. Having depth might be more important this year than most.

Old
06-12-2012, 02:37 PM
SnipeShow91

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNB Bruins Fan View Post
Saskatoon is also hosting the Memorial Cup next year...I wonder how that will affect ticket sales.
CIS in March, Memorial Cup in May, i'm sure the CIS package is cheaper, shouldnt be an issue

SnipeShow91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 08:40 PM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNB Bruins Fan View Post
Just over a month for the second half...on top of the AUS sending players to the Universiade...that's going to be pretty tight. Having depth might be more important this year than most.
Actually it's 6 weekends inclusive for 12 games (add two Wednesday's for 14) - same as last year actually. But I do agree - it certainly looks tight initially - not a good time to go on a losing streak. Hopefully they don't schedule any Wed games during WUG, no need to have more games than necessary while players are away.

The first half is 8 weekends for potentially 16 games, so they could move some Wed. game up into the first half or leave a few early weekends free for some teams that want US road trips.

Old
06-13-2012, 11:33 AM
CanWestFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer View Post
Actually it's 6 weekends inclusive for 12 games (add two Wednesday's for 14) - same as last year actually. But I do agree - it certainly looks tight initially - not a good time to go on a losing streak. Hopefully they don't schedule any Wed games during WUG, no need to have more games than necessary while players are away.
Currently, according to FISU and the Trentino organizing group, the games are scheduled to be December 11th to the 21st of 2013. So ideally, players potentially won't be missing any league action. However, these dates are right in the middle of final exams. Anyone know of different dates or plans to change these dates so they don't coincide with final exams??

CanWestFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 12:09 PM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

WUG Moves date into next season

The original 'new' dates were mid January - I guess that was too ambitious.

(I found the first dates in an announcement from the ACHA-WUG Info for ACHA Teams )

1) as was mentioned - right in the middle of exams. Since each school is a member of the CIS and FISU, I suspect they will arrange for deferrals of the exams until after Christmas. Otherwise, I can't see the US or Canadian teams going.

2) The new dates pushes WUG into next season '13/'14 which is interesting as this is Gardiner's last season under is current contract. Plus - it removes the recruiting carrot from the table for this season.

Last edited by Drummer: 06-14-2012 at 12:18 PM.
Old
07-01-2012, 03:12 PM
AUS Fan

I'm confused. (Imagine that?)

When are the games scheduled now? Your post didn't say.

I'll assume the games will not be held this hockey season.

Your comment about the games being a recruiting card for UNB is not quite valid, as rookies do not get selected as a rule.

Last edited by AUS Fan: 07-01-2012 at 03:19 PM.
Old
07-01-2012, 03:29 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

The WUG is now being held December 11-21st, 2013 in Italy.

Old
07-05-2012, 02:42 PM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Quote:
I'm confused. (Imagine that?)

When are the games scheduled now? Your post didn't say.

I'll assume the games will not be held this hockey season.

Your comment about the games being a recruiting card for UNB is not quite valid, as rookies do not get selected as a rule.
Sorry - it has moved from Jan. 2013 to Dec. 2013 (same calendar year), but next season. Also, it is during exams ending before Christmas.

A rookie could make the team - provided they were tops in scoring. You would leave Carroll and Kirkpatrick off the team if they had played this year? but I agree - a rookie would be rare.

Old
08-21-2012, 07:22 AM
Island Husky

Of Halifax Arenas

More news on the Halifax ice situation, see it here.
http://thechronicleherald.ca/metro/1...-plan-advances

Island Husky is offline   Reply With Quote