HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Sam Gagner vs James van Riemsdyk

View Poll Results: Sam Gagner vs James van Riemsdyk
Sam Gagner 48 27.12%
James van Riemsdyk 118 66.67%
Both suck too much 11 6.21%
Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-21-2012, 07:47 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
JVR, I think he will have a great year in Toronto

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 08:53 AM
Fearless Leaf*
Playiffs 2013!!!!!

vCash: 500
JVR with ease, homer vote or not. He has the better tool-set and brings a lot more to the table than Gagner with his big frame, size, speed, hands, ability to dominate down-low etc. Even if Gagner dominated that one game against Hawks, JVR has dominated a ton more games than Gagner and at a much higher level(play-offs) before. The only thing Gagner has on JVR in terms of assets is probably his hockey sense or else nearly everything favors JVR.

I was scrolling through some youtube highlights of JVR and this is what I found from his last season.

I strongly feel that If injuries weren't on his way last season, he would have had a very good year.

Fearless Leaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 10:33 AM
tony d
Come along, Bort.

Sam Gagner

08-21-2012, 10:33 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

I'd take JVR

Le Magnifique 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 10:34 AM
Turrican*
Not a homer

I would love Gagners brain in JvR's body.

Would be a great player!

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 11:13 AM
JohnnyGoodDro

Gagner much more proven. im a flames fan and say gagner. jvr has done nothing to justify his draft position.

JohnnyGoodDro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 11:46 AM
Vankiller Whale
Bow down

vCash: 1675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haatley View Post
Gagner much more proven. im a flames fan and say gagner. jvr has done nothing to justify his draft position.
Have you watched him play? He's shown some serious flashes of offensive skill, it's the consistency he needs to work on.

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 12:09 PM
RaskY
GLG

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNH View Post
Which of these two highly rated prospects in the 2007 draft who didn't reach expections would you take?
Hasn't reached expectations? Van Riemsdyk is only 23 and just finished his third season in the NHL.

A season which was also plagued by injuries. 24 points in 43 games isn't bad. And consider that he only averaged barely 15 minutes a game on Philadelphia.

Even last season he only averaged around 14 minutes a game, and in his rookie season just under 13 minutes a game. In Toronto he should be getting anywhere around 16 to 20 minutes.

Sam Gagner on the other hand just finished his fifth season in the NHL and still hasn't been able to make any sort of progress. Even his statistics this season are inflated because of that one ridiculous eight point game. He might not have even reached 40 points if not for that game. (I know you can't take that away from him, as it was a great game, but still.)

RaskY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 12:20 PM
Pohlow

JVR ainec.

Pohlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 12:22 PM
vanwest

JVR by a good margin for me. Gagner has good skill but his size is what makes him a bit of a tweener for me. Worst case I could see JVR working well on a third line.

vanwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 12:37 PM
JohnnyGoodDro

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
JVR by a good margin for me. Gagner has good skill but his size is what makes him a bit of a tweener for me. Worst case I could see JVR working well on a third line.
Ya so guy who works well on third line is better than a second line centre?

JohnnyGoodDro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 12:38 PM
LightningStrikes
Klutcherov

I'd pick JVR.

LightningStrikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 01:11 PM
Musashi

jvr definitely has more value but theres no question whos been the better nhler so far

Musashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 01:32 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaskY View Post
Hasn't reached expectations? Van Riemsdyk is only 23 and just finished his third season in the NHL.

A season which was also plagued by injuries. 24 points in 43 games isn't bad. And consider that he only averaged barely 15 minutes a game on Philadelphia.

Even last season he only averaged around 14 minutes a game, and in his rookie season just under 13 minutes a game. In Toronto he should be getting anywhere around 16 to 20 minutes.

Sam Gagner on the other hand just finished his fifth season in the NHL and still hasn't been able to make any sort of progress. Even his statistics this season are inflated because of that one ridiculous eight point game. He might not have even reached 40 points if not for that game. (I know you can't take that away from him, as it was a great game, but still.)
It's funny, since I'm a Rangers fan and I've never been impressed with JVR. He disappears for long stretches, is soft and injury prone. He was pretty much given every chance to succeed with the Flyers and was shipped out for Luke Schenn, a terrible defenseman.

People have been living up on the JVR has potential card for too many years now.

Haven't seen him dominate shifts.

Last edited by Kershaw: 08-21-2012 at 01:39 PM.
Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 01:37 PM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan311 View Post
Not that I'm defending him (because I've barely seen JVR), but its pretty commonplace for bigger players to develop slower than smaller, skilled guys.
You could easily say the exact opposite and not be wrong.

stokes84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 01:51 PM
RaskY
GLG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
It's funny, since I'm a Rangers fan and I've never been impressed with JVR. He disappears for long stretches, is soft and injury prone. He was pretty much given every chance to succeed with the Flyers and was shipped out for Luke Schenn, a terrible defenseman.

People have been living up on the JVR has potential card for too many years now.

Haven't seen him dominate shifts.
He's completed just two full seasons in the NHL and has hit 20+ goals once, would have probably scored over 20 goals this season again while playing less than second line minutes.

I'm not saying he has the potential to be a superstar forward who can put up 90+ points a season, but it's not ridiculous to think that JVR can progress into a 30-30-60 type of forward. We've seen he can elevate his game, look at the 2011 playoffs. Scored 7 goals in 11 games. I think in Toronto he's going to surprise a lot of people.

Unlike Sam Gagner who has also had many chances in the NHL. He'll be going into his sixth year pro and still hasn't been able to take that next step in his development. We'll see where JVR is when he's entering his sixth year in the NHL. I don't think he'll still be a player who can barely score 20 goals and hit 50 points.

RaskY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 01:57 PM
Security Guard Chang*
Chang's Army

Sam Gagner . a small , slow ,soft, one dimensional , inconsistent player , whos best season was five years ago , no playoff team would ever want him as their 2nd line c.

Overated

Security Guard Chang* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 01:59 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haatley View Post
Ya so guy who works well on third line is better than a second line centre?
No. But that's the worst case I see for JVR. And I don't see Gagner as a second line center on a contending team. Looking at the Canucks, I'd prefer JVR as he could at worst be a third liner and if he reaches his potential could easily move up to the second line.

vanwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 02:01 PM
Anth93

At first I thought you were just unreasonably high on Gagner.. Then I saw the "they both suck too much" and realized you're just looking to cause a stir among leaf fans.

JVR won't set the league on fire like some may have thought, but I don't think 60 points is unreasonable.

Anth93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 02:27 PM
Eskimo44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Security Guard Chang View Post
Sam Gagner . a small , slow ,soft, one dimensional , inconsistent player , whos best season was five years ago , no playoff team would ever want him as their 2nd line c.

Overated
It had been a while since i saw you troll Oiler fans, how has the trolling been going lately?

Eskimo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 02:43 PM
Security Guard Chang*
Chang's Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo44 View Post
It had been a while since i saw you troll Oiler fans, how has the trolling been going lately?
how am i trolling ? honest question

Security Guard Chang* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 03:20 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaskY View Post
He's completed just two full seasons in the NHL and has hit 20+ goals once, would have probably scored over 20 goals this season again while playing less than second line minutes.

I'm not saying he has the potential to be a superstar forward who can put up 90+ points a season, but it's not ridiculous to think that JVR can progress into a 30-30-60 type of forward. We've seen he can elevate his game, look at the 2011 playoffs. Scored 7 goals in 11 games. I think in Toronto he's going to surprise a lot of people.

Unlike Sam Gagner who has also had many chances in the NHL. He'll be going into his sixth year pro and still hasn't been able to take that next step in his development. We'll see where JVR is when he's entering his sixth year in the NHL. I don't think he'll still be a player who can barely score 20 goals and hit 50 points.
Injuries are a considerable factor in determining who I'd rather take. Despite Gagner being soft, slow and small, he still goes to the net and tries to win puck battles. JVR does nothing of that ilk, all the talent, but no success. Gagner's had a better career thus far, his worst season is better than JVR's best season. I was also intrigued by JVR's speed and size at first, but it does nothing if he doesn't use those to his advantage. Doesn't hit, fight, or blow by defenders. You'd expect Gagner to be the one battling injuries, not JVR when considering their physical attributes. And before I'm called a Leaf hater, I had the same opinions on JVR for 2 yrs now.

Gagner's not as physically gifted, but he's a much better player offensively and has offensive instincts which I can see him lasting in the league for a long time. Stephen Weiss/Derek Roy type player.

Last edited by Kershaw: 08-21-2012 at 03:30 PM.
Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 03:21 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Security Guard Chang View Post
how am i trolling ? honest question
I agree with everything you said. Some fans are just really defensive of Sam Gagner

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 03:27 PM
Puritania
5-14-6-1

vCash: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
I agree with everything you said. Some fans are just really defensive of Sam Gagner
If you saw Changs body of work you would see how much of a troll he is. One post doesn't tell the story.

Puritania is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 03:45 PM
Fearless Leaf*
Playiffs 2013!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo44 View Post
I think he is right to the extent. Gagner is small, below average defensively, and has been in the league for quite longer while producing the same amount or tad worse. Maybe he was reaching a little when he said his best season was five years and none play-off team would want him on their roster.

JVR on the other hand has been very unlucky with injuriesand hasn't got anything more than 2 and half season on his belt.

Fearless Leaf* is offline   Reply With Quote