HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL has until Jan. 1 to decide to cancel 2013 Winter Classic

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-19-2012, 10:15 PM
  #1
Buddio
CFC
 
Buddio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Rogers Centre
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,412
vCash: 500
NHL has until Jan. 1 to decide to cancel 2013 Winter Classic

Quote:
The N.H.L.'s contract with Michigan, approved by the university's board of regents on Feb. 9, contains provisions that treat a work stoppage in a way similar to a "force majeure" cancellation brought about by act of God, riot, weather, disaster or any other cause beyond the league's control.
"It's standard for us to include force majeure provisions in virtually all of our contracts," said Bill Daly, the N.H.L. deputy commissioner, "and if we anticipated the possibility of a work stoppage in particular, it certainly wouldn't have been unusual."
Donald Fehr, the executive director of the players' union, declined to comment.
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...7611--nhl.html

Buddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 10:24 PM
  #2
Tyler Biggs
Go Leafs Go!
 
Tyler Biggs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,630
vCash: 500
Nice - I'm sure all the paying customers have the same back-up deal worked out for travel or hotel arrangements.

Tyler Biggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 10:31 PM
  #3
Duke Silver
Truce?
 
Duke Silver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,086
vCash: 500
What a PR nightmare that would be.

I say they make the decision before December. If we're not playing by then, HBO's not going to be able to get 4-weeks worth of game footage and interviews.

It would be awful to be robbed of a 24/7 featuring the Leafs.

Duke Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 10:35 PM
  #4
Incognito
Registered User
 
Incognito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,691
vCash: 500
It's funny how the one collective entity which the NHL would be nothing without - the fans - are the ones who are always jerked around the most and cast aside when push comes to shove.

Incognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 10:37 PM
  #5
Pyromaniac3
Registered User
 
Pyromaniac3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: India
Posts: 3,353
vCash: 500
Basically, the owners can keep these talks going until December. After that the pressure is on owners to reach a new CBA.

Pyromaniac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 10:42 PM
  #6
Pi
Registered User
 
Pi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,011
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incognito View Post
It's funny how the one collective entity which the NHL would be nothing without - the fans - are the ones who are always jerked around the most and cast aside when push comes to shove.
The fans aren't united . They'll go back to filling the seats when the millionaires decide who gets what.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 11:04 PM
  #7
Leafs87
Mr. Steal Your Job
 
Leafs87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Richmond Hill
Country: Romania
Posts: 4,565
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MintoMadDogsKiller18 View Post
Nice - I'm sure all the paying customers have the same back-up deal worked out for travel or hotel arrangements.
Doubt they care. Also don't think there will be a lockout

Leafs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2012, 11:52 PM
  #8
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn
 
DirtyDion03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,364
vCash: 500
So they wait until Jan. 1st to cancel it, then the fans do..?

__________________
http://i57.tinypic.com/28b4abo.jpg
DirtyDion03 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 12:29 AM
  #9
Aplayaz2000
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,569
vCash: 500
well, guess 2012 gets crappier

Aplayaz2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 08:13 AM
  #10
Mr Leth
Registered User
 
Mr Leth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Malmö
Country: Sweden
Posts: 35
vCash: 500
Not a problem.
There's so many other things I can do if push comes to shove.
Like renting a car and staying the hell out of Detroit until I can go home again!

Mr Leth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 08:47 AM
  #11
Jack Bauer
Registered User
 
Jack Bauer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Cape Breton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,633
vCash: 500
Why is anyone suprised by this?

Anyone who goes to Detroit in late December during a lockout to watch an NHL game is a moron.

If training camps dont open by the 10th there's going to be no game which should give people more then enough time to cancel arrangements.

Fans would get screwed over more by bad weather cancelling the game then they would by a lockout.

Jack Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 08:52 AM
  #12
pspot
Registered User
 
pspot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Kitchener
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,282
vCash: 500
i was looking forward to 24/7 more than the game
i hope the series gets a good few weeks in

pspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 09:08 AM
  #13
Stephen
Registered User
 
Stephen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 31,956
vCash: 500
Potentially three protracted lockouts in Gary Bettman's tenure. What a shame.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 09:13 AM
  #14
KapG
Registered User
 
KapG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,182
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Potentially three protracted lockouts in Gary Bettman's tenure. What a shame.
yah it's all Bettman's fault.

Players have nothing do to with this...



KapG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 09:14 AM
  #15
Delayed Offside
Registered User
 
Delayed Offside's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Boston Area
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,647
vCash: 500
Re: 24/7... if the season is going to start with the Winter Classic, I hope they can still use training camp for both teams for 24/7.

Delayed Offside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 09:37 AM
  #16
Stephen
Registered User
 
Stephen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 31,956
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KapG View Post
yah it's all Bettman's fault.

Players have nothing do to with this...


It doesn't help that Bettman has continually perpetuated an atmosphere of war with the players association for close to 20 years, taking up useless and draining ownership causes while failing to foster any sense of co-operation with the NHLPA.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 09:38 AM
  #17
KapG
Registered User
 
KapG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,182
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delayed Offside View Post
Re: 24/7... if the season is going to start with the Winter Classic, I hope they can still use training camp for both teams for 24/7.
Using training camp would not be a legit 24/7. Would be a farce.

KapG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 12:19 PM
  #18
Jack Bauer
Registered User
 
Jack Bauer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Cape Breton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,633
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KapG View Post
yah it's all Bettman's fault.

Players have nothing do to with this...


It's mainly Bettman's fault.

Even after 'winning' the last round by crippling the union and getting his linkage to revenue we are right back in this position because of the owners bargaining position of 'our way or else' and since they can literally hold all of us (fans AND players) hostage nobody has any choice but to give in to them.

Don't know how you can blame anyone but the owners for all this mess. They hire the GM's. They approve the contracts. They got their 'cap based system'. We still get screwed over.

Thank goodness the players started negotiating in good faith instead of coming to the table with the middle finger proposal they had everything in their right to do after the owners initial grenade or we'd be in danger of another missed season.

Jack Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 12:40 PM
  #19
Delayed Offside
Registered User
 
Delayed Offside's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Boston Area
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,647
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KapG View Post
Using training camp would not be a legit 24/7. Would be a farce.
Works fine for HBO's Hard Knocks.

Delayed Offside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 01:16 PM
  #20
KapG
Registered User
 
KapG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,182
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delayed Offside View Post
Works fine for HBO's Hard Knocks.
Hard Knocks is not the same.

You are going to hype of one winter classic game with .... wait for it.... training camp footage? No thanks...

I suppose it would be better than nothing though..

KapG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 01:19 PM
  #21
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 11,193
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KapG View Post
yah it's all Bettman's fault.

Players have nothing do to with this...


He's the main man in charge and can't get it right, it's all his fault.

thebluemachine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 01:20 PM
  #22
KapG
Registered User
 
KapG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,182
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bauer View Post
It's mainly Bettman's fault.

Even after 'winning' the last round by crippling the union and getting his linkage to revenue we are right back in this position because of the owners bargaining position of 'our way or else' and since they can literally hold all of us (fans AND players) hostage nobody has any choice but to give in to them.

Don't know how you can blame anyone but the owners for all this mess. They hire the GM's. They approve the contracts. They got their 'cap based system'. We still get screwed over.

Thank goodness the players started negotiating in good faith instead of coming to the table with the middle finger proposal they had everything in their right to do after the owners initial grenade or we'd be in danger of another missed season.
Even after having to sign a "crippling" cba, the players seem to be making some pretty good money these last few years. Doesn't seem too bad to me.

Without the owners, these players are likely playing overseas making less money than they are making today. The owners, they don't need these players or the teams to make money. These teams are the toys of billionaires.

FWIW, I don't think it's any one groups fault for this potential lockout. It's a group cluster**** really. I just see most people piling on bettman!

KapG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 01:23 PM
  #23
KapG
Registered User
 
KapG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,182
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebluemachine View Post
He's the main man in charge and can't get it right, it's all his fault.
blame the owners, he does what they tell him. They are his boss after all.

KapG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 02:41 PM
  #24
Jack Bauer
Registered User
 
Jack Bauer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Cape Breton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,633
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KapG View Post
Even after having to sign a "crippling" cba, the players seem to be making some pretty good money these last few years. Doesn't seem too bad to me.

Without the owners, these players are likely playing overseas making less money than they are making today. The owners, they don't need these players or the teams to make money. These teams are the toys of billionaires.

FWIW, I don't think it's any one groups fault for this potential lockout. It's a group cluster**** really. I just see most people piling on bettman!
Of course they seem to be making good money. They're athletes.

If they were offered 25% of HRR they'd still be making good money compared to the other 99.9% of society.

The problem here is where does it stop? 15-20% of revenue would be a 'fair' amount for them based on how much money I get paid but that does not mean I support an owners offer of that amount.

The other major sports all prove with their different economic models that there is no perfect system as the NHL owners want us to believe every 6-8 years when their idea of a system is the only possible way the sport can survive in the long term or else the game gets shutdown for good.

It's an absolutely rediculous bargaining ploy to use the threat of a lockout as a first resort rather then a last resort.

Jack Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 02:55 PM
  #25
Liminality
Registered User
 
Liminality's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 3,338
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KapG View Post
Using training camp would not be a legit 24/7. Would be a farce.
Agreed, I want the full coverage up to the winter classic like the other seasons.

I really hope there's no lockout.

Liminality is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:30 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.