HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Fuhr and Anderson to the Leafs

Old
08-22-2012, 10:23 AM
JackJ

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew75 View Post
The Fuhr deal was HUGE for the Leafs in a good way. It's not about stats, or who played how many games - but rather it's the respectability it gave us at the time. He was the best clutch goalie to ever play (IMO - hence the avatar) - and he gave us a chance to win every night.

I remember that era well, and it was bad. Getting Fuhr changed it overnight. It was the first time in a LONG time we been the team to get the big name player - which led to us also getting guys like Gilmour and Sundin. It also gave Potvin the time he needed in St. Johns - otherwise he would have likely been rushed into action before he was ready which would have ruined him. He was a 'confidence' goalie - and having Fuhr allowed us to put a decent team around him before bringing him up.

Without that deal, I'd say we wouldn't have had the success we did in the early 90's - that taste of it which was our first since the late 70's. It was a big day for our organization, and I don't see how anyone can think it was anything but great.

I will always remember sitting in the Gardens with my buddy watching as Fuhr shut the door on St. Louis, turning aside 50+ shots and allowing us to climb back from behind to win 3-2 in overtime.

Damn we need a goalie now
Agreed.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id...eason=19911992

JackJ is offline   Reply With Quote