HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-13 NFL Season Thread - The Baltimore Ravens are Superbowl Champs!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-03-2013, 11:14 PM
  #326
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,647
vCash: 500
Kind of a weird finish and SF deserved to win. Ravens were staggering the entire second half and the vaunted D were getting run over drive after drive but with SF somehow not finishing on the last drive(due to bad play calling imo) First down on the 6 and you should find a way to get in the endzone on four tries. That of course was the game.

Reason I think 49ers deserved to win is the game ended with them being the far superior squad. Its like watching a boxing match where the champ is getting pummelled in the latter rounds and barely manages to get up off the canvas enough times to stagger to the bell. Only to win on pts.

Looks like the return was the difference.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 12:12 AM
  #327
awesomo
HARD!
 
awesomo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: location, location
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,643
vCash: 500
Ray Lewis, perhaps the greatest player ever at his position, had his final play of his incredible career end on a goal line stand.

Final season ends at the very top with a Superbowl.

How could he have it any other way?

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 12:19 AM
  #328
nabob
Hall for captain
 
nabob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: HF boards
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,035
vCash: 500
Big plays win football games. Turnovers lose football games. This game had both.

Very entertaining game.

nabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 12:23 AM
  #329
jsho
Registered User
 
jsho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Oil Country
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,250
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
Budweiser site was gimping like crazy, but I managed to get my hands on the red light!
You managed to spend $150 on a light?

jsho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 01:12 AM
  #330
Belcriss
Its summer
 
Belcriss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,644
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Belcriss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Kind of a weird finish and SF deserved to win. Ravens were staggering the entire second half and the vaunted D were getting run over drive after drive but with SF somehow not finishing on the last drive(due to bad play calling imo) First down on the 6 and you should find a way to get in the endzone on four tries. That of course was the game.

Reason I think 49ers deserved to win is the game ended with them being the far superior squad. Its like watching a boxing match where the champ is getting pummelled in the latter rounds and barely manages to get up off the canvas enough times to stagger to the bell. Only to win on pts.

Looks like the return was the difference.
for the first time in a very long time, I completely agree with you. Definitely a hold, and definitely another game decided by the zebras. SF did allow alot of bad plays against early, that kickoff was a killer, but they deserved a call down there, and four more downs to try to win.

Belcriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 02:11 AM
  #331
Chooch
Registered User
 
Chooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 784
vCash: 500
San Francisco did deserve the win, but man... They need to make changes to the D big time. That pathetic 108 yard punt return TD was the difference. The San Fran D started the season off pretty well but got worse as the season went on, especially in the post season. That's where they just failed to get their crap together. If they make improvements in that department, i don't see why San Fran shouldn't be in the superbowl next year once again.

Chooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 08:06 AM
  #332
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,319
vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenHAWKING View Post
San Francisco did deserve the win, but man... They need to make changes to the D big time. That pathetic 108 yard punt return TD was the difference. The San Fran D started the season off pretty well but got worse as the season went on, especially in the post season. That's where they just failed to get their crap together. If they make improvements in that department, i don't see why San Fran shouldn't be in the superbowl next year once again.
Not sure how a team that was down 21-6 at half-time deserves to win.

Either way congrats Ray Lewis, never liked your team but had no issue cheering for you over the years.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 08:36 AM
  #333
Chooch
Registered User
 
Chooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 784
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Not sure how a team that was down 21-6 at half-time deserves to win.
Watch the whole game instead of one half then you might have an idea.

Chooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 08:49 AM
  #334
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,319
vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenHAWKING View Post
Watch the whole game instead of one half then you might have an idea.
I did. Whoever holds the trophy is the one who deserved to win. You play 60 minutes in an attempt to score more than the other team. It doesn't matter how you do it.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 09:14 AM
  #335
jsho
Registered User
 
jsho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Oil Country
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,250
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenHAWKING View Post
San Francisco did deserve the win, but man... They need to make changes to the D big time. That pathetic 108 yard punt return TD was the difference. The San Fran D started the season off pretty well but got worse as the season went on, especially in the post season. That's where they just failed to get their crap together. If they make improvements in that department, i don't see why San Fran shouldn't be in the superbowl next year once again.
Okay well that's special teams and not the defense. Completely different personal and a different coach.

Who knows how banged up the 49ers defense, but Justin Smith was playing hurt. Aldon Smith has been completely ineffective the last few weeks since Smith's injury. The secondary was burned pretty often in the first half as well but they're talented players. This Ravens team also lit up a #3 ranked defense in the Broncos two games ago.

jsho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 11:59 AM
  #336
Chooch
Registered User
 
Chooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 784
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsho View Post
Okay well that's special teams and not the defense. Completely different personal and a different coach.

Who knows how banged up the 49ers defense, but Justin Smith was playing hurt. Aldon Smith has been completely ineffective the last few weeks since Smith's injury. The secondary was burned pretty often in the first half as well but they're talented players. This Ravens team also lit up a #3 ranked defense in the Broncos two games ago.
When a guy is able to run for 108 yards and score a touchdown without even being touched, the defense plays a part in it. Have you watched any of the 49ers games prior to the superbowl? Just curious, the game against Atlanta? No? JIM was even ranting about the gradual defensive inconsistencies. I don't think anybody expected it to be a weakness, but it has turned out to be.

Chooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 01:00 PM
  #337
dnicks17
Moderator
.
 
dnicks17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,740
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenHAWKING View Post
When a guy is able to run for 108 yards and score a touchdown without even being touched, the defense plays a part in it. Have you watched any of the 49ers games prior to the superbowl? Just curious, the game against Atlanta? No? JIM was even ranting about the gradual defensive inconsistencies. I don't think anybody expected it to be a weakness, but it has turned out to be.
There's a difference between special teams and defense.

The guys on the field during kicks/punts are completely different than those defending runs/passes.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 01:25 PM
  #338
jsho
Registered User
 
jsho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Oil Country
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,250
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenHAWKING View Post
When a guy is able to run for 108 yards and score a touchdown without even being touched, the defense plays a part in it. Have you watched any of the 49ers games prior to the superbowl? Just curious, the game against Atlanta? No? JIM was even ranting about the gradual defensive inconsistencies. I don't think anybody expected it to be a weakness, but it has turned out to be.
How does the defense play a part in it when they are on the sideline? They are completely different units that play.

Yes I watched the 49ers, Falcons game. Jim who was ranting? The game was on fox so Joe Buck and Troy Aikman were the announcers.

The Ravens have very talented, big, fast wideouts between Boldin, Smith and Jones. They put up more points against a better ranked Broncos defense. So they are a very talented group and its not like the 49ers were just playing against chumps.

Why are you harping on everyone, asking if they watched the game? I watch them a bit closer to know the difference between defense and special teams, and don't just basis my opinions on "Jims" rants.

jsho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 01:57 PM
  #339
Hockey Nightmare
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,110
vCash: 500
Maybe the niners were screwed at the end, but you can't let yourself be down by that much at half time and blame anyone but yourself. The game is 60 minutes, not 30 minutes. They put themselves in a position where their fate could be dictated by a single questionable call.

Hockey Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 01:59 PM
  #340
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,647
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Not sure how a team that was down 21-6 at half-time deserves to win.

Either way congrats Ray Lewis, never liked your team but had no issue cheering for you over the years.
I stated why I said that. At the final whistle the Ravens had been staggering around for most of the 2nd half with the Ravens D virtually incapable of stopping Niners from rolling off drive after drive. Nor could they even contain the QB rollout. The Ravens were dead, flat, and beat at the end. Only the scoreboard betrayed that. They looked like a knocked out prizefighter still on their feet.

Hats off to Flacco though he was the one Raven that never lost focus and another excellent game by him. Both these QB's can really throw the ball and are a big part of their clubs.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 02:02 PM
  #341
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,647
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Ones View Post
Maybe the niners were screwed at the end, but you can't let yourself be down by that much at half time and blame anyone but yourself. The game is 60 minutes, not 30 minutes. They put themselves in a position where their fate could be dictated by a single questionable call.
I think a veteran squad was more prepared from the start and that the niners, having less experienced players at key positions, particularly QB, had a harder time getting locked into the game and out of the gate. But thing is once they did the niners were night and day the better squad and not even close.

Ravens won this on some experience and veteran savvy only and needed every ounce of it and barely got it done with that. The better football club lost.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 02:15 PM
  #342
PepsiFiend
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 772
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I think a veteran squad was more prepared from the start and that the niners, having less experienced players at key positions, particularly QB, had a harder time getting locked into the game and out of the gate. But thing is once they did the niners were night and day the better squad and not even close.

Ravens won this on some experience and veteran savvy only and needed every ounce of it and barely got it done with that. The better football club lost.
I would agree if this was the first time the 49ers fell behind in the first half, they have been unprepared to play quite often this year and in caught up to them in the biggest game of the year! This was a game of two halves, both teams had their moments...I don't know how you can say the better club lost, when the 49ers secondary was super weak, they were too passive and overplayed so many balls. It was a close game in which Baltimore clearly did enough to win the game!

PepsiFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 02:22 PM
  #343
jsho
Registered User
 
jsho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Oil Country
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,250
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I stated why I said that. At the final whistle the Ravens had been staggering around for most of the 2nd half with the Ravens D virtually incapable of stopping Niners from rolling off drive after drive. Nor could they even contain the QB rollout. The Ravens were dead, flat, and beat at the end. Only the scoreboard betrayed that. They looked like a knocked out prizefighter still on their feet.

Hats off to Flacco though he was the one Raven that never lost focus and another excellent game by him. Both these QB's can really throw the ball and are a big part of their clubs.
I think the inexperience of Kaepernick really showed with the burning of the two 2nd half timeouts. I didn't watch everyone of Kaepernick's starts this year but back in December it was very noticeable at times that he struggled with calling audibles in time. Or even just recognizing how time was left on the play clock. I can recall a lot of times of him rushing back to behind the line to get the ball off in time.

jsho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 02:31 PM
  #344
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,647
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFiend View Post
I would agree if this was the first time the 49ers fell behind in the first half, they have been unprepared to play quite often this year and in caught up to them in the biggest game of the year! This was a game of two halves, both teams had their moments...I don't know how you can say the better club lost, when the 49ers secondary was super weak, they were too passive and overplayed so many balls. It was a close game in which Baltimore clearly did enough to win the game!
Good point. I'm less of a regular viewer of the NFL so Ill defer to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsho View Post
I think the inexperience of Kaepernick really showed with the burning of the two 2nd half timeouts. I didn't watch everyone of Kaepernick's starts this year but back in December it was very noticeable at times that he struggled with calling audibles in time. Or even just recognizing how time was left on the play clock. I can recall a lot of times of him rushing back to behind the line to get the ball off in time.
Flacco vs Kaepernick just illustrated the relative experience. Flacco was unflappable and Kaepernick was inconsistent.

I'll be clear here, Flacco was a big hero because he's the one guy on the Baltimore sidelines that wasn't losing his head and that still had the composure. For a vet squad it was uncanny how quickly and thoroughly the Ravens unravelled. The D gave up 17pts in 4minutes of 3rd quarter play. I think even given the niners struggles in the first half this was the darkest moment for either club and shouldn't happen to a veteran squad. Without Flacco resolutely saving the day with some drives to keep the niners off the field this one wasn't even going to the bell. The Ravens D was flat broke and busted. Kaepernick was getting big yards anytime he simply rolled out.

Niners fault though they don't bust it into the endzone off a first down on the 6. No way should you not convert that in 4 down football against an exhausted D. If you're passing in those situations you tell Kaepernick to make the exhausted D chase and buy time until somebody is open/and or run it in. One thing that was very odd is the amount of times Kaepernick rushed the pass with one rush pressure. jebus, you're the fastest guy on the field, just run and buy time.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 02:52 PM
  #345
dnicks17
Moderator
.
 
dnicks17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,740
vCash: 500
I thought Baltimore's defense actually did a really good job with all things considered. The 49ers offense is a match-up nightmare for them and, imo, they were only going to be able to slow them down and be lucky to stop them.

It's tough to contain when you don't really have any speed on the line or at linebacker. Even harder when arguably your best defensive player, Ngata, is sidelined.

A guy with an arm like Kaepernick is going to eat up zone defenses too and with the Ravens primarily playing Cover 2, it's no wonder he threw for 300+.

The Ravens' D let it get away from them for a bit, but overall they did their job.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 06:06 PM
  #346
Belcriss
Its summer
 
Belcriss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,644
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Belcriss
I watched every SF game this season, because I have been a Niner fan for years. I will say this, they were inconsistant in many games, especially the big ones. They didn't even show up for the Seattle game, and almost lost second place in the conference, they needed alot of help because of it. Yes, they didn't show up for the first half, but I agree with the assessment that Baltimore didn't play 60 mins. either. My main complaint, is, Baltimore got a pass interference call that led to more points, and I thought the pass interference was mostly offensive. It was a judgement call. How can a ref, on the play of the game, not make that call? I know if your relying on a call, you didn't dominate, but, SF deserved to get that call, and four more downs to try to punch it in.

Belcriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 07:51 AM
  #347
Chooch
Registered User
 
Chooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 784
vCash: 500
The Ravens were a team of destiny, it just wasn't meant to be for the Niners. I don't know how the Niners failed on that last drive that would of clearly won the game for them had they just scored on a play like that in which they normally would. Four tries, and NOTHING to show for it. It was just painful watching them blow that last drive because i really thought they rallied back hard enough to earn the win.

Chooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:29 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.