HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

2012-13 NFL Season Thread - The Baltimore Ravens are Superbowl Champs!

Old
10-16-2012, 10:09 AM
Stoneman89

vCash: 500
Phil Rivers....meet your mentor...Tony Romo.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 10:11 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
Phil Rivers....meet your mentor...Tony Romo.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 10:54 AM
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!

vCash: 50
Some pretty sweet week 7 match ups

Thursday
Seahawks (4-2) - 49ers (4-2)

Seahawks D is good. 49ers D is good. Both offenses are average with some decent weapons. Winner could lead the division by week's end.

Sunday
Cardinals (4-2) - Vikings (4-2)

From a game nobody cared about a month ago to a pivotal NFC game with playoff implications. Still think i'm in the twilight zone on this one.

Redskins (3-3) - Giants (4-2)

Giants should win in theory. RG III looking good, Skins defense playing well. I think it's more of a toss up than people think.

Ravens (5-1) - Texans - (5-1)

First place in the AFC on the line here but the Ravens are getting more banged up on defense. However the Texans looked awful at times vs. the Packers.

Patriots (3-3) - NY Jets (3-3)

As a Patriots fan I strongly dislike our pass defense. It was a problem last year and they didn't fix it. Cost us easily two wins (BAL & SEA). Brady can't put up 35+ points every week. Gronkowski is banged up and so is Hightower. Good news is that Sanchez sucks and most likely can't beat the Pats with the deep ball. Patriots do play excellent run defense so the Pats should win and take the division lead.

Steelers (2-3) - Bengals (3-3)

Steelers lose they are pretty much toast i think. Bengals have had good games and bad ones. I don't think the Steelers defense is what it used to be but the offense is still effective. Bengals make many mistakes.(-7 in turnover ratio so far this season). Should be a good sunday night game.

Too bad it's only tuesday

Fixed to Ruin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 08:58 AM
joestevens29

What happened in the NO-TB game? Thought TB tied it up and when I went back to watch OT it was over? Holding?

Not sure what is up with NE, but they really aren't walking away with the division like they should be.

Old
10-22-2012, 08:59 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Tastes like Chicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
What happened in the NO-TB game? Thought TB tied it up and when I went back to watch OT it was over? Holding?

Not sure what is up with NE, but they really aren't walking away with the division like they should be.
The receiver that caught the ball was pushed out of bounds and then was the first player to touch the ball, "illegal touching"

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 09:43 AM
jsho

Quote:

Their secondary is as bad as I've ever seen it. Their terrible to start with and half the starters are injured.

Both tight ends look like they are playing hurt, Gronkowski and Hernandez. Lloyd looked like he hurt himself a bit last week in the loss to Seattle and he had his worst game in a Pats uniform against the Jets.

Brady also hasnt look particularly great they last 2 weeks. He was average against the Jets, and last week vs the Seahawks he made some big mental errors along with throwing the ball 50+ times.

They play St.Louis next week then get the bye. They hopefully will get some guys some much needed rest and they need to own November to win the division. With back to back games in December vs Houston then San Francisco in December the divison could go down to the end of the year.

jsho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 06:28 PM
Kyle McMahon

Well now that Carolina has cemented themselves as the worst team in the NFC, the race for 1st overall can commence. The question is, can any of the AFC's several horrible franchises overtake them? Jacksonville is looking good, and the Chiefs will make a push. Cleveland is playing half decent but keeps losing close games, so they can't be counted out either. Oakland hurt their chances with a win yesterday, but they've still got an outside shot.

Kyle McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2012, 06:33 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
Well now that Carolina has cemented themselves as the worst team in the NFC, the race for 1st overall can commence. The question is, can any of the AFC's several horrible franchises overtake them? Jacksonville is looking good, and the Chiefs will make a push. Cleveland is playing half decent but keeps losing close games, so they can't be counted out either. Oakland hurt their chances with a win yesterday, but they've still got an outside shot.
I'm guessing either Mingo or Jones will be your guys' pick if you pick 1st overall?

10-22-2012, 07:37 PM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
I'm guessing either Mingo or Jones will be your guys' pick if you pick 1st overall?
I'm not too sure to be honest, but they need help on the defensive side of the ball. The linebacking corps should be solid, but Beason is never healthy, so I could see them going in that direction.

I doubt they'd do it, but if Newton continues to look like crap for the remainder of the year I would have no problem drafting Barkley and trading Newton while he still has some value.

Old
12-01-2012, 03:02 PM
#ualberta

Quote:
KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Kansas City Chiefs linebacker Jovan*Belcher fatally shot his girlfriend early Saturday, then drove to Arrowhead Stadium and committed suicide in front of his coach and general manager after first thanking them for everything they had done for him, police said.
I was shocked reading this, Tragic story, maybe the league should consider postponing the game they are scheduled to play tomorrow.

http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/story/?id=410714

402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 03:41 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by 402 View Post
I was shocked reading this, Tragic story, maybe the league should consider postponing the game they are scheduled to play tomorrow.

http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/story/?id=410714
Was going to bump this thread the other day. Kinda figured when I saw it close to the top that this was the reason it was bumped.

Quite tragic indeed. 3 month baby they had as well.

Sounds like the team wants to play and the league so far has told Carolina to go ahead with travel plans. Wait and see at this point I guess.

Old
12-03-2012, 12:42 AM
Schitzo

Was tough to watch the interviews after the Chiefs game - you can tell the team is devastated, but you can't even honour the guy because he's not the victim in all of this.

(Well, if he was mentally ill, he's also a victim, but you know what i mean).

Schitzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 08:10 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Tastes like Chicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schitzo View Post
Was tough to watch the interviews after the Chiefs game - you can tell the team is devastated, but you can't even honour the guy because he's not the victim in all of this.

(Well, if he was mentally ill, he's also a victim, but you know what i mean).
No because he still MURDERED his girlfriend.

The problem is that everyone WANTS to make him the victim, because it's "easier" to ignore reality.

Old
12-03-2012, 08:15 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
No because he still MURDERED his girlfriend.

The problem is that everyone WANTS to make him the victim, because it's "easier" to ignore reality.
Yet a military man burns his ex-girlfriends house to the ground and gets no jail time because he has mental issues.

Honestly what is one to think anymore when it comes to mental illness?

Old
12-03-2012, 08:24 AM
joestevens29

As for Football what a day.

Luck who by most standards didn't have the best game throws 2 late game TD's to not only win but set a record for wins by a 1st overall pick in a rookie season. Although that sounded better when they said most wins by a rookie QB ever on one station.

My Steelers somehow pull off a win even when it looked like some players rather just hand the ball off to the other team instead of taking the TD. I have to tip my hat to Batch, guy played a solid finish and by the looks of it that was his superbowl yesterday. Unfortunately Ike Taylor was seen in a boot, hopefully that's just to stay on the safe side but I have my doubts.

Then to top the day off STL and SF just about tie again. What are the odds of that happening in one season?

Oh ya, how bout that Romo beating Aikman's TD record

Old
12-03-2012, 01:36 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Tastes like Chicken

Quote:
Yet a military man burns his ex-girlfriends house to the ground and gets no jail time because he has mental issues.

Honestly what is one to think anymore when it comes to mental illness?
Because, despite how far the understanding of mental illness has come in the medical community, it's still viewed with the lenses of "Oh, dat boy's crazy, clearly couldn't understand what he was doing, his brain is ill"

Which is utterly laughable and ridiculously narrow minded. Just because you're, say depressed or bipolar, doesn't mean you stop understanding right and wrong.

Old
12-03-2012, 02:17 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Because, despite how far the understanding of mental illness has come in the medical community, it's still viewed with the lenses of "Oh, dat boy's crazy, clearly couldn't understand what he was doing, his brain is ill"

Which is utterly laughable and ridiculously narrow minded. Just because you're, say depressed or bipolar, doesn't mean you stop understanding right and wrong.
Yet society continues to allow this to happen.

Old
12-03-2012, 04:45 PM
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!

I like where my Patriots are at as a team right now.

The defense is improving and as a whole, the team is trending upwards and getting hot at the right time.

Houston & Baltimore seem to have flatten out or are regressing, either because of injuries or just lackluster play.

Looking at the schedules of the top AFC I think first place in the AFC comes down to Houston, Denver and New England. Things will really heat up if but most likely when the Patriots beat the Texans

The Texans play Patriots and the Colts twice. They could end the season with 3 losses making the playoff picture fairly interesting

NFC is interesting. I don't think the NFC is as good as it's hyped up to be. Atlanta has to be the most unimpressive 11-1 team out there. GB, NYG, CHI are hot and cold. I don't even know what to think of SF anymore. They have two decent but not great QBs but the offense as a whole isn't really putting up the points.

Old
12-03-2012, 05:31 PM
jsho

Quote:
Originally Posted by devils4cup View Post
I like where my Patriots are at as a team right now.

The defense is improving and as a whole, the team is trending upwards and getting hot at the right time.

Houston & Baltimore seem to have flatten out or are regressing, either because of injuries or just lackluster play.

Looking at the schedules of the top AFC I think first place in the AFC comes down to Houston, Denver and New England. Things will really heat up if but most likely when the Patriots beat the Texans

The Texans play Patriots and the Colts twice. They could end the season with 3 losses making the playoff picture fairly interesting

NFC is interesting. I don't think the NFC is as good as it's hyped up to be. Atlanta has to be the most unimpressive 11-1 team out there. GB, NYG, CHI are hot and cold. I don't even know what to think of SF anymore. They have two decent but not great QBs but the offense as a whole isn't really putting up the points.
They didnt look that great agains Miami yesterday, but they always seem to play well against NE at home. Going into yesterday Brady was actually 0-3 in December in Miami. Injuries are starting to mount for NE though, they should be ok come playoff time but playing Houston then San Fran will be a big test and tough to win both games without a healthy roster.

I still think Houston is taking the top seed, but I could see NE or Denver taking the #2 spot. Baltimore has not looked good the last 2 weeks against San Diego then Pittsburgh.

jsho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 05:43 PM
Kyle McMahon

I don't see Baltimore going anywhere. Harbaugh still seems to think Joe Flacco is something more than a solid game manager, and has him passing 40 times a game. If Baltimore just pounded Ray Rice all day I think they'd be nearly unstoppable. A pass-happy offense featuring Joe Flacco scares nobody.

So hilarious that the future dynasty Eagles have not only flamed out of the playoff picture, but may end up with the worst record in the entire NFL by the end of the year. They're so bad they even lost to my Panthers. Who are so bad they lost to the Chiefs a day after one of their starting LB's ices himself in the stadium parking lot

Old
12-03-2012, 08:59 PM
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsho View Post
They didnt look that great agains Miami yesterday, but they always seem to play well against NE at home. Going into yesterday Brady was actually 0-3 in December in Miami. Injuries are starting to mount for NE though, they should be ok come playoff time but playing Houston then San Fran will be a big test and tough to win both games without a healthy roster.

I still think Houston is taking the top seed, but I could see NE or Denver taking the #2 spot. Baltimore has not looked good the last 2 weeks against San Diego then Pittsburgh.
the miami game yesterday doesn't really bother me. The patriots won't put up 50 pts every game. I find it more encouraging that they won a close low scoring game with good defensive play rather than outscoring a team by scoring 5+ tds in a game.

The Patriots 3 losses to the Ravens, Seahawks and Cardinals was due to poor play by the secondary. It looks like they have improved tremendously on that.

Old
12-03-2012, 09:47 PM
Matt Ryan
Falcons Rise Up

my falcons doing work.

RISE UP MUTHA****ERS!

Matt Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 10:06 PM
SDig14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge for Nuge View Post
my falcons doing work.

RISE UP MUTHA****ERS!

Good to see more Falcons fans around here.

A lot of people are skeptical because they're winning tight games, and they have let teams back in games, but I'm confident in Matt's skills late in the game and the guy always seems to find a way to win games.

Now he just needs to prove it in the playoffs, regardless of who they draw after the bye week.

SDig14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 10:20 PM
Matt Ryan
Falcons Rise Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDig14 View Post
Good to see more Falcons fans around here.

A lot of people are skeptical because they're winning tight games, and they have let teams back in games, but I'm confident in Matt's skills late in the game and the guy always seems to find a way to win games.

Now he just needs to prove it in the playoffs, regardless of who they draw after the bye week.
One thing people underestimate is that we rarely play well on both sides of the ball (and still beat other teams). Usually if we dominate on offense, we slack on D and vise-versa. This is not good, but the team is even deadlier when we turn on the jets on offense and defense. I am confident that this team can go deep into the playoffs. They aren't soft, they play hard, they have time to rest up, great secondary, clutch QB, fantastic receivers, and, of course, a great coach. The weakness is our running game, but no team is perfect.

Our offense is great with Matt Ryan, Gonzalez, White, etc. etc. But our D are no slackers either! Only a pretty good D can pick off Drew Brees AND Peyton Manning FIVE times each.

People need to realize how clutch Matt Ryan is. He has the most game-winning drives since he has been in the league!

So clutch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCjDtwFROrM#t=14m

Matt Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 10:35 PM
SDig14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge for Nuge View Post
One thing people underestimate is that we rarely play well on both sides of the ball (and still beat other teams). Usually if we dominate on offense, we slack on D and vise-versa. This is not good, but the team is even deadlier when we turn on the jets on offense and defense. I am confident that this team can go deep into the playoffs. They aren't soft, they play hard, they have time to rest up, great secondary, clutch QB, fantastic receivers, and, of course, a great coach. The weakness is our running game, but no team is perfect.

Our offense is great with Matt Ryan, Gonzalez, White, etc. etc. But our D are no slackers either! Only a pretty good D can pick off Drew Brees AND Peyton Manning FIVE times each.

People need to realize how clutch Matt Ryan is. He has the most game-winning drives since he has been in the league!

So clutch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCjDtwFROrM#t=14m
Ya, there's no doubt about how clutch he has been, I'm just hoping he can do it when it matters this year in the playoffs.

It is true though, our D was very good in week 2 against Denver, but the offense could have closed that game early but never iced them. When we get a game where both sides of the ball click, we will be close to unstoppable.

I've been impressed with guys like Robinson, DeCout, and Samuel after we lost Grimes for the year too, hopefully the secondary can stay healthy and keep playing pretty solid.

SDig14 is offline   Reply With Quote