HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

leafs defence pairings 12-13

Old
08-21-2012, 11:51 AM
johnnyutah

vCash: 500
leafs defence pairings 12-13

I wouldnt mind seeing this

Phaneuf-Gardiner
Liles-Gunnarsson
Komisarek-Holzer
Blacker

johnnyutah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 11:53 AM
johnnyutah

also, i'm not sure what side these players prefer which would affect these pairings

Old
08-21-2012, 11:55 AM
Leafs For Life*
Nothing

Just letting you know that now the fraud hockey i nsiderr has said Franson has requested a trade and Leafs are shopping him for another dman. So ya.

Last edited by Leafs For Life*: 08-21-2012 at 01:05 PM.
Leafs For Life* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 11:55 AM
416Leafer

Gunnarson is needed with Phaneuf to help balance the line defensively. Phaneuf and Gardiner both take chances, rush, and pinch, and neither are studs defensively. Better to keep them seperated.

The second pairing is an issue too. Liles/Gardiner would be pretty weak defensively.. Other options would be Franson.. Who's even worse defensively, Komi who needs a big bounce back year, and Holzer who's a rookie.

Itll be an interesting year for the blueline IMO. We definitely could have used a veteran shutdown guy. Too bad Jackman didnt hit free agency.

416Leafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 11:56 AM
RaskY
LLKL's finest

vCash: 50
Gunnarsson - Phaneuf
Liles - Franson
Gardiner - Komisarek

IMO this is what it will look like.

I'd like to acquire another defenseman though and pair him with Liles, moving Franson to the bottom pairing with Gardiner.

RaskY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 12:00 PM
johnnyutah

Quote:
Originally Posted by 416Leafer View Post
Gunnarson is needed with Phaneuf to help balance the line defensively. Phaneuf and Gardiner both take chances, rush, and pinch, and neither are studs defensively. Better to keep them seperated.

The second pairing is an issue too. Liles/Gardiner would be pretty weak defensively.. Other options would be Franson.. Who's even worse defensively, Komi who needs a big bounce back year, and Holzer who's a rookie.

Itll be an interesting year for the blueline IMO. We definitely could have used a veteran shutdown guy. Too bad Jackman didnt hit free agency.
sounds like trading schenn was a bad idea

Old
08-21-2012, 12:05 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 416Leafer View Post

Not that I am one to call other men studs, Phaneuf is very good defensively.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 12:12 PM
Fearless Leaf*
Playiffs 2013!!!!!

I hope Holzer gets paired up with Liles, with his quite shutdown-ability, he would be a solid help on both Even Strength and PK.

I would essentially go with:

Phaneuf - Gunnarsson
Gardiner - Franson/Komisarek
Liles - Holzer

Fearless Leaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 12:14 PM
Fearless Leaf*
Playiffs 2013!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
When he is on, u could argue otherwise average at best in most games.

Fearless Leaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
RaskY
LLKL's finest

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Laughable. He looks like an actual pylon. Just stands there like he's paralyzed and can't move and has that dumb look on his face all the time. He's incredibly slow at reading plays, gets beaten one on one way more than he should, and turns the puck over way too much.

RaskY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
satyr9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaskY View Post
Gunnarsson - Phaneuf
Liles - Franson
Gardiner - Komisarek

IMO this is what it will look like.

I'd like to acquire another defenseman though and pair him with Liles, moving Franson to the bottom pairing with Gardiner.
IMO you swap Gardiner and Liles on 2nd and 3rd pair. Liles gets 1st PP with Phaneuf instead of Gunnar and you're all set. I think Franson's ready to be an important piece for us, which is why I'd put Gardiner/Franson for 2nd pair. Komi will battle Holzer as the 6th defender.

satyr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 12:18 PM
sgupca

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyutah View Post
sounds like trading schenn was a bad idea
I don't understand how people question the Schenn trade?

A) His confidence was shot here in Toronto
b) he was a give-away machine
c) We landed a top 6 skilled forward for him

Even sports personalities who dislike the leafs called this deal a "clear-win" for the leafs.

See Simmonds and Ray

sgupca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 12:28 PM
416Leafer

Also our team is expected to have holes next year. We're not contenders, still slowly building/learning. Longterm, our D looks pretty set with Rielly, Blacker, Percy, Finn, etc pushing for spots in the next 2-3 years.

So yea, losing Schenn may have temporarily weakened our D, but longterm the D should be fine with or without Schenn, but JVR brings a unique skill set of size/skill to our forward group and probably has a higher ceiling anyways.

Old
08-21-2012, 12:37 PM
416Leafer

The general consensus is that Phaneuf is decent defensively, but he's not the guy you want as your #1 option to go up against guys like Crosby, Ovechkin, Datsyuk, Stamkos, etc, and also isnt who you want as your #1 option on a PK if you expect the PK to be a particularly effective one.

Nobody is saying that he's absolutely terrible (aka Dennis Wideman), but he's definitely not a "stud" defensively. Plus he takes lots of risks, so it doesnt make sense to pair him with another risk taker like Gardiner.

Old
08-21-2012, 12:46 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Short term, trade Franson and MacA for a good defencive defenceman who can play with Phaneuf:

Phaneuf-JayBo
Gardiner-Gunnarson
Liles-Komisarek (3rd pair who can play anytime the going gets tough to support the younger guys)
Holzer

For the future, I'd like to see Phaneuf be the defencive rock on a pairing with Rielly.

Phaneuf-Rielly
Gardiner-JayBo
Gunnar, Holzer, Percy, Blacker, Finn, etc etc

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 12:49 PM
dubplatepressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke meat pete View Post
Short term, trade Franson and MacA for a good defencive defenceman who can play with Phaneuf:

Phaneuf-JayBo
Gardiner-Gunnarson
Liles-Komisarek (3rd pair who can play anytime the going gets tough to support the younger guys)
Holzer

For the future, I'd like to see Phaneuf be the defencive rock on a pairing with Rielly.

Phaneuf-Rielly
Gardiner-JayBo
Gunnar, Holzer, Percy, Blacker, Finn, etc etc

May I present Douglas Murray. Makes half as much as Jaybo and is at least 3 times tougher.

Side note, Jaybo, Gunnar, Gardiner and Liles in our top-5 makes our D the softest in the league.

dubplatepressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 12:50 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubplatepressure View Post
May I present Douglas Murray. Makes half as much as Jaybo and is at least 3 times tougher.

Side note, Jaybo, Gunnar, Gardiner and Liles in our top-5 makes our D the softest in the league.
I used JayBo because he plays tough minutes, admirably and is said to be available. I'm not sure Douglas Murray is available.

I think you'd see Komisarek play more on nights where rough and tumble would be required. We'd also have a very good skating defence, combined with a Norris winning coach to teach them how to keep the puck out of the danger zones.

Old
08-21-2012, 01:22 PM
Whydidijoin*

1. 0% chance that Blacker is used as a 7th defenceman.
2. What happened to Franson?

Whydidijoin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 01:35 PM
TopProspect91

Wow our defense sucks.

TopProspect91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 01:51 PM
iPunch
Leafs Fan

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan16 View Post
Just letting you know that now the fraud hockey i nsiderr has said Franson has requested a trade and Leafs are shopping him for another dman. So ya.
Meh, if I want to see a 16 year old making trade proposals I'll go to the trade forums.

iPunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 01:56 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

I think carlyle is going to try Dion on the left. So it will make things interesting.

08-21-2012, 02:03 PM
Anth93

If Holzer and Blacker are both on the team, you can be assured that one of them won't be in the press box.

Anth93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 02:13 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

If Holzer and Blacker deserve to be on the team this year, I'm excited to see what Burke has up his sleeve for a trade. But, Blacker will not be a Leaf this year, IMHO. At least not to start the year.

Old
08-21-2012, 02:27 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Laughable. He looks like an actual pylon. Just stands there like he's paralyzed and can't move and has that dumb look on his face all the time. He's incredibly slow at reading plays, gets beaten one on one way more than he should, and turns the puck over way too much.
Phaneuf plays top competition, is used in all situations, and performs quite well considering his pretty terrible QoT.

7even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 02:33 PM
Duke Silver
Truce?

vCash: 450
Quote:
Confirmation bias. You remember all of the negative things most vividly because they support your agenda, whilst ignoring the abundance of positives.

Duke Silver is offline   Reply With Quote