HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Goodenow: It's Over

Closed Thread

Old
01-15-2005, 07:18 PM
majicpixie

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to majicpixie Send a message via AIM to majicpixie Send a message via MSN to majicpixie
Goodenow: It's Over

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL...99594-sun.html

"I don't think we'll be playing. There's no communication ... I don't think we'll be playing this season at all," said centre Eric Lindros, who was allowed to become an unrestricted free agent by the New York Rangers last summer."

I just came across this article. It looks like the season is over, and next season, as well.

Old
01-15-2005, 08:12 PM
Zeus54
Trollololol

Quote:
Originally Posted by majicpixie

I just came across this article. It looks like the season is over, and next season, as well.

Next season too? I mean I don't mind this season being cancelled but I do have a problem with next season being cancelled....

Old
01-15-2005, 08:17 PM
Firefly

Send a message via AIM to Firefly Send a message via Skype™ to Firefly
I love it!

Old
01-15-2005, 09:02 PM
FLYLine24*

1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10..... Deep breathes...in.......out........NOT HELPING!

Old
01-15-2005, 09:03 PM
nyr34

Send a message via AIM to nyr34
Kill me now. :mad:

Old
01-15-2005, 10:43 PM
sickboy35

well this comes as no shock to me. i've been saying since the get go bettman would be the death of the nhl. if they were so worried about losing money now wait until there is no hockey for two seasons? i never wish any harm to anyone but bettman needs to go one way or another, dead or alive!! the sport was already in danger of losing its audiance, this will kill the game! two seasons? he'll try to tell the labor board they are at an impass, i dare any judge to agree with that. when he tells them to come to the table and negotiate but hangs the salary cap over there head as that is the starting point, thats not the way to negotiate a contract. so when these a-hole owners start *****ing about how their investment is worth nothing, look no further than the moron you hired to run the league! ** bettman!!

Old
01-15-2005, 11:05 PM
Theoren Fan

Send a message via AIM to Theoren Fan
One would think if there is no agreement come next season, they'll bring in the scabs. I HIGHLY doubt we go two seasons without any NHL hockey...

Old
01-15-2005, 11:13 PM
Balej20*

there is no way we go two years without hockey. Will not happen.

Old
01-15-2005, 11:52 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

The NHL may play next season, but I doubt that it will be a full season. Either way, I really don't care.

Old
01-16-2005, 03:15 AM
Edge

Honestly at this point i am starting to feel the same way.

I wonder if i am lamenting because of what hockey was....once, ten years ago or before or what it is.

What hockey was died a long time ago, what it has become just hardly seems worth saving.

Old
01-16-2005, 10:48 AM
BLACKBURN

I would have to disagree, I still feel a buzz when I see the opening face-off of a Rangers game. I love NHL hockey, even if it isnt what it once was. I think this would be the best case scenario for the Ranger organization. Two years in which your prospects can develope and when the NHL is back they'll be ready for the big leagues. I would rather the NHL started sooner than later, however the longer it draws out the more developement our prospects will have.

Old
01-16-2005, 01:10 PM
Zeus54
Trollololol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20

Can't, just can't...

Old
01-16-2005, 02:01 PM
dedalus

well this comes as no shock to me. i've been saying since the get go goodenow would be the death of the nhl. i never wish any harm to anyone but goodenow needs to go one way or another, dead or alive!! the sport was already in danger of losing its audiance, this will kill the game! two seasons? he'll try to tell the labor board they negotiated in good faith, i dare any judge to agree with that. when he tells them to come to the table and negotiate but refuses to even CONSIDER a link between revenue and salaries, as that is the starting point, thats not the way to negotiate a contract. so when these a-hole players start *****ing about how their houses are being repossesd by mortgage companies, look no further than the moron you hired to run the players association! ** goodenow!!

Old
01-16-2005, 02:04 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20
Not so sure. How many people do you think really, truly miss it?

How many people don't notice its missing?

Old
01-16-2005, 02:07 PM
Fletch

Not very fair, dedalus...

Bettman hasn't done such a great job the last 10 years making the NHL a major sport, which is partly why we are sitting here in this predicament.

But blaming Goodenow's interesting since it has been the owners who can't control themselves. Billionaires, large conglomerates and the like can't manage a hockey team profitably, when they have a real good idea what their revenues would be. It's a fairly easy equation and they couldn't figure it out and need to have a cap in place to control themselves from losing money. Really, what were the Rangers thinking. They lost $40 million. Even if they went to the Stanley Cup finals, they still don't make money. Or do they? That's why the players can't trust the owners. The owners say they can't, but they can.

Old
01-16-2005, 02:37 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus
well this comes as no shock to me. i've been saying since the get go goodenow would be the death of the nhl. i never wish any harm to anyone but goodenow needs to go one way or another, dead or alive!! the sport was already in danger of losing its audiance, this will kill the game! two seasons? he'll try to tell the labor board they negotiated in good faith, i dare any judge to agree with that. when he tells them to come to the table and negotiate but refuses to even CONSIDER a link between revenue and salaries, as that is the starting point, thats not the way to negotiate a contract. so when these a-hole players start *****ing about how their houses are being repossesd by mortgage companies, look no further than the moron you hired to run the players association! ** goodenow!!
ahhhh tricky tricky, i see what you did there. Lol and i like it too

Old
01-16-2005, 09:09 PM
Pearl Necklace

I'm not at all surprised.

We all new this season was cancelled. As for next year, I strongly believe we will have hockey however it will be after an impasse is declared. Who or what will be on the ice at the start of the season I have no idea. All I know is I will be thrilled the next time the puck is dropped. I've given the Knicks a chance this season and they make me sick. Somebody rescue me from the NBA!

Old
01-16-2005, 09:25 PM
Edge

Not a huge football fan, not into basketball either.

I'm just kinda screwed right now because baseball season hasn't started. For as much as i've been associated with hockey, baseball always has been my first love.

I've gotten so desperate at this point i'm playing as the mickey mantle era Yankees and trying to get his career to turn out the way it should have.

Going to the hall of fame this spring with the mrs. Can't wait, it'll be my second trip her first.

Old
01-17-2005, 06:18 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

1-Hockey-Rangers
2-Baseball-Yankees
3-Football-Jets

Don't really care about the NBA or the Knicks

If there is no hockey this season,it's NFL free agency in March and the draft in April followed by Baseball Opening Night April 3-Yankees and Red Sox-The Big Unit debuts

Old
01-17-2005, 06:28 AM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
But blaming Goodenow's interesting since it has been the owners who can't control themselves.
I'm not blaming anyone, Fletch. My post is critiquing someone who's laying everything at the door of one side of this issue.

Say what you want about the owners, but the PA didn't sit by passively and watch owners spend. This is the same association that criticized Chelios for taking less to play where he wanted. It's the same association that's constantly pressured its members to drive salaries up. Bob Goodenow never considered the health of the league when he was telling players to demand more. NOW he acknowledges that changes need to be made, but he was no more forward-thinking than Bettman when the members of his association were profiting from the owners' spending.

Personally it's all business from my perspective. I respect the owners' right to make as much as they can and the players'. Each side SHOULD fight for the max. Let the better side win and claim the spoils of war.

Old
01-17-2005, 08:32 AM
Fletch

As have been said many times...

it was the owners who, in the end, signed those contracts. Think the owners weren't criticizing Smith for signing fourth liners to greater than $1 million contracts, then losing? Is there a difference? One group holds out for more, the other tries to pay less. Zero difference in my opinion, except that in the end, the owner has the final say.

Old
01-17-2005, 08:52 AM
Fletch

I'm screwed too, Edge...

tried to watch the NBA again, as I was once a fan (I think when Earl the Pearl was the Knicks' guard), but I just hate the players in today's game.

I tried watching college basketball, but I think I've realized that basketball's a long, and mostly boring, game, and it's tough when there's hundreds of teams. I can't get into poker or bowling or NASCAR either. ANd I can't sit there and watch plain-old TV. So, I'm drinking more...

Old
01-17-2005, 08:57 AM
True Blue

Quote:
So, I'm drinking more...
Always a good idea.

Old
01-17-2005, 01:38 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy
1-Hockey-Rangers
2-Baseball-Yankees
3-Football-Jets

Don't really care about the NBA or the Knicks

If there is no hockey this season,it's NFL free agency in March and the draft in April followed by Baseball Opening Night April 3-Yankees and Red Sox-The Big Unit debuts
I'm all about this post

Old
01-17-2005, 01:41 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
tried to watch the NBA again, as I was once a fan (I think when Earl the Pearl was the Knicks' guard), but I just hate the players in today's game.

I tried watching college basketball, but I think I've realized that basketball's a long, and mostly boring, game, and it's tough when there's hundreds of teams. I can't get into poker or bowling or NASCAR either. ANd I can't sit there and watch plain-old TV. So, I'm drinking more...
College Basketball is the worst. What is there like 700 games a night? Meanwhile we get so excited that one Wolfpack game a week(maybe) is on cable. Ridiculous.....

Closed Thread