HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gilman's on 1040 right now

Old
08-21-2012, 02:38 PM
duplo

vCash: 500
Gilman's on 1040 right now

Hey all, Gilman's on the radio right now until 1:00. I'm at work, so I'm only listening here and there. Anyone taking notes?

duplo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 02:43 PM
gobi

Would appreciate a summary as I am stuck in the office with no radio.

gobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 02:45 PM
WinterEmpire
Unregistered User

I just tuned in. So far Matt asked Gilman about Abbostford, and Gilman confirmed they are staying in Chicago for next year.

11:48-Mike Gillis likes Wine, Bicycles, and High End Mens Clothing

11:54- Kesler is coming along in rehab, no issues with club, disagreements with his agent is not a big deal

11:56 - Frank Corrado is developing faster than expected, club happy

12:10 - Explaining the general process of negotiating with a UFA, using Doan as an example. Nothing really new.

12:12 - Confirms Doan wants to stay in Phoenix IF Jamison buys the team, keeps them competitive and stay in Phoenix.

12:21 - Most difficult part of making a trade happen is making sure the cap hit works for both teams.

12:23 - Player salary mostly determined on a player to player basis. Sedins cap hit is not the upper limit of what could be offered as long as they fit within the structure of the team and don't inhibit the club from making the team better.

12:27 - Kesler hole likely to be filled from within the team, not going to bring in a UFA and throw them away when Kesler gets back.

12:37 - Gilman cheers for the Jets everyday except when they play the Canucks.

12:39 - Bitz not re-signed because of other players in the system. Confirms talks with Burrows, nothing more. Doesn't anticipate any issue with signing Lack sooner or later.

12:42 - Only coincidence the team doesn't draft more from the WHL, team focuses on positional needs and BPA from all around the world.

12:55 - Still looking for the holy grail statistical analytic. Investing lots of resources into that statistical analytics as a whole.

1:00 - Done

Last edited by WinterEmpire: 08-21-2012 at 04:01 PM.
WinterEmpire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 02:48 PM
Jevo

Right now they are just talking about Gilman and Gillis relationship away from business. Apparently Gillis is avid cyclist, looking at him and his body figure I wouldn't have thought that.

Jevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 02:52 PM
Andre Boudrias

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Andre Boudrias
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevo View Post
Right now they are just talking about Gilman and Gillis relationship away from business. Apparently Gillis is avid cyclist, looking at him and his body figure I wouldn't have thought that.
That must be a lie.

Andre Boudrias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 02:55 PM
duplo

Q: Asked if the CBA negotiations have stalled the Luongo trade?

Gilman (paraphrasing): I don't think so, I think to the extent that there's been any drag on player transactions. People assume that we are in a position that we have to do something and they are not offering us anything near the mark of either of our goaltending assets that would make us move on a trade. We're not going to do anything that won't benefit us today and in the long term.

Old
08-21-2012, 02:56 PM
Jevo

Gilman says there is no bad blood at all between Kesler and the Canucks and between Keslers agent and the Canucks.

Kesler is coming along, don't know when he's ready.

Really likes Corrado.

Jevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 02:57 PM
duplo

Also: Gilman's a pretty cool dude.

Old
08-21-2012, 02:59 PM
gobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by duplo View Post
Also: Gilman's a pretty cool dude.
Saw Gillis and Gilman at Miko Sushi once. Gilman seems quite approachable while Gillis had this "don't bother me" expression.

gobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 03:17 PM
crazycanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobi View Post
Saw Gillis and Gilman at Miko Sushi once. Gilman seems quite approachable while Gillis had this "don't bother me" expression.
That’s Gillis, he was like that when he met Gilman too.

Gilman brought a pretty damn good Tell Me I’m Wrong.
Tell Me I’m Wrong: Gillis and Burke are more alike than they would like to think.

He also just said some of the best hockey he's seen Kesler play was when he was on the wing with Sundin.

crazycanuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 03:26 PM
Vankiller Whale
Propaganda Minister

vCash: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by duplo View Post
Q: Asked if the CBA negotiations have stalled the Luongo trade?

Gilman (paraphrasing): I don't think so, I think to the extent that there's been any drag on player transactions. People assume that we are in a position that we have to do something and they are not offering us anything near the mark of either of our goaltending assets that would make us move on a trade. [B] We're not going to do anything that won't benefit us today and in the long term.[B]
So a serviceable roster player + likely-to-make-an-impact prospects/picks is their asking price. question is how much.

Vankiller Whale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 03:47 PM
Elliot20

you got to think within the next 2 years 2 of jensen, schroeder, mallet, or rodin will make the team.

it'll probably be easier with jensen and mallet due to size. mallet can play a 4th line role.

Elliot20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 04:09 PM
Vankiller Whale
Propaganda Minister

vCash: 900
So Schroeder, or perhaps(although extremely unlikely) Gaunce will fill in for Kesler, it seems.

Vankiller Whale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 04:16 PM
ddawg1950

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterEmpire View Post
I just tuned in. So far Matt asked Gilman about Abbostford, and Gilman confirmed they are staying in Chicago for next year.

11:48-Mike Gillis likes Wine, Bicycles, and High End Mens Clothing

11:54- Kesler is coming along in rehab, no issues with club, disagreements with his agent is not a big deal

11:56 - Frank Corrado is developing faster than expected, club happy

12:10 - Explaining the general process of negotiating with a UFA, using Doan as an example. Nothing really new.

12:12 - Confirms Doan wants to stay in Phoenix IF Jamison buys the team, keeps them competitive and stay in Phoenix.

12:21 - Most difficult part of making a trade happen is making sure the cap hit works for both teams.

12:23 - Player salary mostly determined on a player to player basis. Sedins cap hit is not the upper limit of what could be offered as long as they fit within the structure of the team and don't inhibit the club from making the team better.

12:27 - Kesler hole likely to be filled from within the team, not going to bring in a UFA and throw them away when Kesler gets back.

12:37 - Gilman cheers for the Jets everyday except when they play the Canucks.

12:39 - Bitz not re-signed because of other players in the system. Confirms talks with Burrows, nothing more. Doesn't anticipate any issue with signing Lack sooner or later.

12:42 - Only coincidence the team doesn't draft more from the WHL, team focuses on positional needs and BPA from all around the world.

12:55 - Still looking for the holy grail statistical analytic. Investing lots of resources into that statistical analytics as a whole.

1:00 - Done
Thanks WinterEmpire.

ddawg1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 04:49 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
12:42 - Only coincidence the team doesn't draft more from the WHL
I'm guessing Delorme was sitting quietly in the room and Gillman didn't want to embarrass him.

Barney Gumble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 06:54 PM
digger18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevo View Post
Gilman says there is no bad blood at all between Kesler and the Canucks and between Keslers agent and the Canucks.

Kesler is coming along, don't know when he's ready.

Really likes Corrado.
This is the first Ive heard of this....What was the reasoning behind the rumoured bad blood?

digger18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 07:03 PM
Canucker

I like how he didn't want to give away how the team negotiates with free agents, saying they felt they had some "proprietary ideas" that they didn't want to share with other clubs. I really like Gilman, he's a pretty sharp dude.

Canucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 07:07 PM
Canucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by digger18 View Post
This is the first Ive heard of this....What was the reasoning behind the rumoured bad blood?
I think the "bad blood" thing is all media driven. Gillis said on a talk show that Kesler was progressing well and was ahead of schedule...a few days later Kesler's agent was interviewed and was kind of snippy at the idea that he was ahead of schedule and said he won't be back until December. It's basically not up to either party when Kesler is ready, he'll be ready when he's ready.

Canucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 07:07 PM
ddawg1950

It does appear that Schroeder will get a really decent chance to stick. If they think that the best Kesler ever played was on the wing, there could be some sentimemt to put him back there if Schroeder shows he can play.

ddawg1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 07:08 PM
dave babych returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by digger18 View Post
Mike Gillis said on the radio that Kesler was ahead of schedule in his injury rehabilitation and Kesler's agent rather vociferously disagreed in the press.

This being Vancouver in the summer, that was enough for the local hacks to make a news story out of.

Oh and I guess both Gillis and Vigneault have publicly challenged Kesler to be better next year, although that's an even flimsier basis for any kind of falling out between the two camps.

dave babych returns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 07:10 PM
archangel archangel

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
I'm guessing Delorme was sitting quietly in the room and Gillman didn't want to embarrass him.
I am still waiting for the first Gillis draft pick to make the nhl. We know Delorme can spot talent deep in the draft

archangel archangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 07:18 PM
Finnish Your Czechs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcrazycanuck View Post
I am still waiting for the first Gillis draft pick to make the nhl. We know Delorme can spot talent deep in the draft
By watching a player practice ...

Finnish Your Czechs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 07:18 PM
dave babych returns

Quote:
You don't think Hodgson is going to stick, then?

dave babych returns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 07:20 PM
Lard_Lad

Quote:
Cody Hodgson's not in the NHL?

And we haven't had a good late round pick out of Western Canada since Brent Sopel. I really hope you're not suggesting Delorme deserves credit for guys found by Gradin and the US and Ontario scouts.

Lard_Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 07:23 PM
digger18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
I think the "bad blood" thing is all media driven. Gillis said on a talk show that Kesler was progressing well and was ahead of schedule...a few days later Kesler's agent was interviewed and was kind of snippy at the idea that he was ahead of schedule and said he won't be back until December. It's basically not up to either party when Kesler is ready, he'll be ready when he's ready.
Thanks Canucker.

I'm really not surprised that Gillis got caught in a fabrication. Many of his interviews have a strong odour of BS around them.....To the point where I can barely handle even listening to his arrogant and smug garbage anymore.

digger18 is offline   Reply With Quote