HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Pens grab Steve Webb off waivers

Closed Thread

Old
10-22-2003, 10:26 AM
Steve Latin*

vCash: 500
Pens grab Steve Webb off waivers

http://www.pittsburghpenguins.com/te...arts/527.0.php

Not a bad pickup from the Pens perspective. Looks like they'll be a pretty gritty team this year.

S L

Old
10-22-2003, 10:27 AM
Dr Love

Kinda confusing, I guess the Flyers don't have him.

Old
10-22-2003, 10:33 AM
The Tang
I like gooooollllddd

i dont really understand the point of this move. i thought we have enough grit as is.

Old
10-22-2003, 10:41 AM
hockey_nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love
Kinda confusing, I guess the Flyers don't have him.
apparently he signed with philly... but they wanted to send him to their ahl team, but he had to clear waivers first... which he obviously didn't, hehe

Old
10-22-2003, 10:47 AM
Dr Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey_nut
apparently he signed with philly... but they wanted to send him to their ahl team, but he had to clear waivers first... which he obviously didn't, hehe
Gotcha. I was thinking he was claimed off of the Isles.

Old
10-22-2003, 11:29 AM
Evilo

Don't like it.
We don't have a single spot for him.
Or that means losing a guy like Kraft through waivers or sending down a youngster.

Really don't like it.

Old
10-22-2003, 11:32 AM
SuburbanRhythm
WorldClassJagoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey_nut
Anyone else stumped by this? If the Pens were so interested in Webb, why didn't they sign him 2 days ago?

Or why didn't Philly sign him to a minor league deal to begin with? He had little to know leverage to demand an NHL deal.

Old
10-22-2003, 11:41 AM
Wingboy2999

Send a message via AIM to Wingboy2999 Send a message via Yahoo to Wingboy2999
I am so confused. What is going on?

Old
10-22-2003, 11:43 AM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

FYI: Isles never waived Webb. They simply did not qualify him this summer. Philly signed him a an UFA.

One reason Pitt did not sign him him is because they would have had to expose him to waivers as well. They didn't think they would want him in the off season, but for one reason or another, a need developed.

And, to the suggestion above that Webb will bring a mid round pick in return, I seriously doubt it. I think he can be a useful role player but he isn't good enough to play even a regular fourth line role on a playoff bound team. It is also the case that there was only limited interest in him this summer, when he was an UFA.

10-22-2003, 12:14 PM
SuburbanRhythm
WorldClassJagoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
FYI: Isles never waived Webb. They simply did not qualify him this summer. Philly signed him a an UFA.

One reason Pitt did not sign him him is because they would have had to expose him to waivers as well. They didn't think they would want him in the off season, but for one reason or another, a need developed.

And, to the suggestion above that Webb will bring a mid round pick in return, I seriously doubt it. I think he can be a useful role player but he isn't good enough to play even a regular fourth line role on a playoff bound team. It is also the case that there was only limited interest in him this summer, when he was an UFA.
But, in Philly's case, if their plan was to send him to the AHL, why didn't they sign him to an AHL deal? He had no leverage. No other team showed interest...until Pittsburgh decided to claim him off waivers, when they could have signed him on their own.

The whole thing just makes no sense to me-- if Pittsburgh wanted him so badly, sign him on your own and waive Simpson. Or sign him instead of Simpson to begin with.

Old
10-22-2003, 01:02 PM
davemess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilo
Don't like it.
Or that means losing a guy like Kraft through waivers or sending down a youngster.

Really don't like it.
Simpson is being sent down, not Kraft or a youngster. Webb is a slight improvement over Simpson in that Webb will throw his body around on the checks more often.

It also means that WBS can have a legit tough guy.

Old
10-22-2003, 02:01 PM
IGM

I mean, the team isn't going to make the playoffs and the Pens have some talented young grit players on the farm. I don't think this was a good deal for them at all. I wonder if there is something else in the works. What I don't know but this just doesn't make sense to me.

Old
10-22-2003, 03:52 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

This thread is a good example of why I countinue to visit this site, despite the fact that I have an overwhelming work load right now. Loose Cannon, Woobie, davemess, and IGM all make excellent points.

BTW, daverness, I think Pens fans will be disppointed if they are expecting Webb to be a tough guy. On LI, we used to call him "the Human Punching Bag", because he is one of the worst fighters in the NHL. Webb, however, is an excellent energy guy. He works his butt off and loves clean, open ice hits. He'll be a great guy to have around, and he'll energize your team and drive the other team nuts.

I hated to see him get cut, even though he is completely lacking in talent.

Old
10-22-2003, 04:04 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemess
Simpson is being sent down, not Kraft or a youngster. Webb is a slight improvement over Simpson in that Webb will throw his body around on the checks more often.
Exactly. For some bizarre reason, some fans cannot/will not see the distinction between a fighter and a guy who throws hard bodychecks. A few fans still view Godard as a replacement for Webb. He's not in the least, IMO. Bergenheim (a solid skater who throws his body around fearlessly) is much more the replacement than the lumbering Godard.

Webb isn't the fighter/goon that Godard is, and Godard will be lucky to throw as many solid checks in a season as Webb does in a given shift.

Both serve a purpose. One with his fists, the other with his checks. When Webb is on the ice, several things are likely to occur:

- opposing players will keep their heads up (intimidation of a different variety)
- opposing fans will lament his lack of talent
- no offense will be generated (by him) :p; and
- an unintelligent goon on the opposition is very likely to take a retaliatory penalty for a jarring, usually clean, hit by S.W.

Considering that no coach looks to their fourth line for offense, Webb is a nice change-of-pace player when used sparingly.

Webb is a terribly limited player, skill wise. But he is a superb team guy (wore the "A" for some games on Long Island), selfless and a superb hitter. The Isles outgrew him, given the need to open up some roster spots for prospects, which is fine.

Happy to see him back.

Old
10-22-2003, 04:28 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Bitter Buffalo

vCash: 50
I'm fine with it since he's an improvement over Simpson as a whole.

And Webb may not be a great fighter, but he can't be worse than McKenna. Granted Orpik is the only decent fighter on the Pens and he doesn't drop the gloves too often...

Old
10-22-2003, 04:55 PM
Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

I would rather see Simpson with the pens than McKenna because he is a better fighter and will actually throw a hit once in a while. McKenna NEVER hits.

Old
10-22-2003, 05:33 PM
PensFan68

I don't mind the signing at all. I love having guys on the team that will hit. Gets everyone more into it.

As for Simpson being sent down, no surprise. I was surprised he actually made the team. He's needed in WBS to stick up for our younger players.

And for McKenna, he's actually really surprised me tonight. Every time he was on the ice he was hitting alot. The first period especially. Let's hope he keeps it up. That's my major complaint against him. For as big as he is, he usually doesn't hit.

Old
10-22-2003, 06:41 PM
Doghouse

Send a message via AIM to Doghouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilo
Don't like it.

Really don't like it.
I do like it. I'd rather have Webb than Simpson in the lineup. Webb's younger and I think he's more gritty.

If getting Webb means that the Pens have to send down Kraft and probably lose him, what's the problem? Kraft's not flourishing in the Pens organization. I can remember a time where he was high on the depth chart. Now he's near the bottom. Losing him and getting rid of his contract would be good.

Old
10-22-2003, 07:26 PM
gted85

decent move if you are a team with little talent like the pens and need a little grit.
webb is overrated in my opinion, a utility player at best on a good team

Old
10-22-2003, 09:45 PM
Jacob

Quote:
I'm fine with it since he's an improvement over Simpson as a whole.
Agreed. If for no other reason than that we now have a 4th line with everyone playing their natural positions. Eastwood pushed Buchberger over to his off-wing. Webb can play that right side.

Old
10-23-2003, 04:31 AM
SuburbanRhythm
WorldClassJagoff

This explains a little further why things happened as they did....

http://www.post-gazette.com/penguins...slog1023p5.asp
Quote:
He was signed by the Flyers out of unrestricted free agency last week, but NHL rules call for any player signed after the September waiver draft and before Dec. 1 to be put through the waiver wire first.

Old
10-23-2003, 05:01 AM
Stonehands77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woobie82
This explains a little further why things happened as they did....

http://www.post-gazette.com/penguins...slog1023p5.asp
Well, it explains the train of events (chronologically), but it certainly doesn't make the thinking behind this any clearer. So Philly signs him last week, and has to expose him on waivers. So the Pens, who could've just signed him a week ago, claim him on waivers now? Is there a fee for making a waiver claim or anything like that? Because if so, then this doesn't make much sense to me. Then again, it is the morning, and my brain takes a while to get up to full speed...stupid mornings.

Old
10-23-2003, 05:36 AM
SuburbanRhythm
WorldClassJagoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_Love
Well, it explains the train of events (chronologically), but it certainly doesn't make the thinking behind this any clearer. So Philly signs him last week, and has to expose him on waivers. So the Pens, who could've just signed him a week ago, claim him on waivers now? Is there a fee for making a waiver claim or anything like that? Because if so, then this doesn't make much sense to me. Then again, it is the morning, and my brain takes a while to get up to full speed...stupid mornings.
No, you are correct. I worded that poorly....it makes it clear why Philly had to allow his to pass through waivers now. But, agree, the whole situation still makes ZERO sense to me.

I believe there is a minimal (relatively speaking) fee, a few hundred dollars, for a waiver claim. So, in that respect, the Pens paid more than they would have for just signing him outright themselves.

Old
10-23-2003, 08:30 AM
Stonehands77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woobie82
I believe there is a minimal (relatively speaking) fee, a few hundred dollars, for a waiver claim. So, in that respect, the Pens paid more than they would have for just signing him outright themselves.
Now that would really make me confused. I mean, I know a few hundred dollars isn't much (to a sports team, I mean), but why waste the cash when you could've picked him up for free?

Old
10-23-2003, 09:05 AM
Evilo

If he "replaces" Simpson, it's fine with me. What I didn't waht was to send a young skilled guy for him, as we need all the scoring we can get.

Closed Thread