HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Oilers/Sabres & Habs/Sabres proposalas

Closed Thread

Old
09-19-2003, 12:24 PM
Mike8

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LALALALALALAFONTAINE
I will stop taking drugs, thinking it is possible to reason with Habs fans. It ain't. Wallow in your feculence.

Briere has more goals last year than Komisarek has games played. He would be the second highest scorer on a team that lacks scoring.

If size matters so much, and current production doesn't, how about dealing Koivu for Thorburn and McMorrow?
This is unreasonable. Briere scored more goals than Komisarek played games, but how relevant is that? It's the equivilant of saying Tyler Wright scored more goals than Hainsey, Perezhogin and Chris Higgins combined played games, so he would be far more valuable than those players combined for the Habs. It ignores Montreal's situation entirely in that the team is rebuilding and injecting youth into the lineup this season.

Komisarek's potential is that of a top pairing defenseman with size, strength, and excellent defensive capabilities. Even if you don't think he'll reach that potential, it's still there. That's what the Habs would be dealing to a division rival. For what? 20 more goals a year, and a push for a playoff spot and long term mediocrity? It doesn't make sense as far as Montreal's plans are -- short and long term -- and that's why Hab fans are saying it's ridiculous.

It may be fair "value wise," league-wide, but not value wise for Montreal.

Old
09-19-2003, 05:32 PM
sonnytheman

Quote:
I will stop taking drugs, thinking it is possible to reason with Habs fans. It ain't. Wallow in your feculence.

Briere has more goals last year than Komisarek has games played. He would be the second highest scorer on a team that lacks scoring.

If size matters so much, and current production doesn't, how about dealing Koivu for Thorburn and McMorrow?

current production??? Komisarek is a ROOKIE!!! that's why Briere had more goals than he had games.....you know what, why not trade Perreault for Vanek, he had more goals than Vanek had games........good logic. Briere is a good player, but no team is going to trade their top prospect for him. Not one team would, its not that we hab fans are as (feculent?) as you think we are. Find a team that would trade their top prospect for Briere.

Old
09-19-2003, 05:42 PM
Jon Burke

vCash:
Quote:
Comrie, 23, unsigned
Smith, 30 in November, $2.3M

for

McKee, 26, unsigned
Connolly, 22, $1.245M
Noronen, 24, $.55M

Briere, 26 in October, $1.6M
future consideration Boulton, 27, $.55M

for

Komisarek, 21, $1.13M
First deal:

Maybe I'm living in a dream world where the Oilers can actually get pretty decent returns for their stars, but I really don't see why they'd do this deal. Connolly has some upside and could one day be a very good young player, but he has a lot of growing up to do first. Comrie's not exactly the most mature young player either, but he's already a fair bit more developed than Connolly and has better potential in my most humble opinion. McKee for Smith is probably about an equal exchange, though perhaps a slight edge to McKee seeing as he'll likely make less than Smith this upcoming season and is younger. And I really don't think that the Oilers would pick up an unproven goalie to be their starter if we're going to operate on the logic of them getting rid of Salo.

Comrie doesn't even really fit into the Sabres system anyways. They need offense for sure, but he's a bit of an immature headcase.

Second deal:

No way do the Habs do this, and that's maybe the nicest way to put it. Komarisek looks like a gem - a guy who will one day be a potential Norris candidate - and is exactly the type of player that the Habs need to keep. He's big, tough and physical. Briere would help the Habs, as would Boulton, but they would not get you a stud like Komarisek.

'Nuff said.

Old
09-19-2003, 07:44 PM
nilan1

Oilers/Sabres & Habs/Sabres proposals

Briere is nothing and he is small. Komo is a great up and coming D-man who has the potential to be like Chris Pronger and you a Buffalo fan want us to trade him for a small forward who scores around 20gls a yr forget it. Yes we could use some scoring but not at the expense of Komo we will promote players from within that will fill the void Montreal is rebuilding we do not need to go out for a quick fix. Also the sabres could use some scoring since they have yet to sign Satan. I also do not want to see posts that call Hab fans Homers when proposals such as these are posted.

Old
09-20-2003, 01:49 AM
hunter orange

The Oil could use more keepers in their system, but I think Salo and Conklin will be just fine until JDD comes along.

I don't like the Oil trading away their captain and most steady defensiveman for purely economical reasons. McKee is a good back, but the only thing better about him compared to Smith is that he's younger and makes less money. The Oil should not be thinking about weakening their defense core -- the most glaring weakness in their roster at the moment.

If Buffalo is serious about acquiring Comrie, Lowe will not be enticed by Connolly. This guy is still young, but he's done nothing to show he has lasting NHL talent except get drafted high. I'f take a flyer on him though if we got a defensive gem in return.

If Lowe were to bite on this, he'd better not settle for less than the following:

To Edmonton:
Kalinin, Connolly

To Buffalo:
Comrie, Smith

If Buffalo insists on including Noronen in the deal, we could expand it but no way do I take out Kalinin...no way, not for a talent like Comrie.

To Edmonton:
Kalinin, Noronen, Connolly

To Buffalo:
Comrie, Smith, Chimera, 4th

Old
09-20-2003, 02:52 AM
bernsy74

I think Buffalo gives up too much. If you were to swap Connolly with say Curtis Brown and then I would pull the trigger on that deal.

Secondly, Sabre fans would crap their pants if we traded Briere. Although I'm not completely sold on him, the rest of the Buffalo fan base is. Komo is an up-and-comer, where Briere is a proven talent. I would have to balk on that one too.

Old
09-20-2003, 06:14 AM
hunter orange

...Not a chance. I'm not a Connolly fan in the least, but I'd take a flyer on him long before I'd accept Brown in ANY deal. Curtis Brown is exactly the kind of player Edmonton does not need.

Old
09-20-2003, 04:56 PM
komisakick ass

Quote:
Comrie, 23, unsigned

for

McKee, 26, unsigned
Connolly, 22, $1.245M
Noronen, 24, $.55M

Why the Sabres do this deal: Comrie is an upgrade on Connolly and Smith is an upgrade on McKee and Noronen is a backup.

Why the Oilers do this deal: cut costs, ability to deal Salo to get rid of his salary with Noronen, McKee won't be eligible for UFA while Smith will in one year, Connolly has the skills and may need new environment. If the Oilers want Kotalik or Afinogenov instead of Connolly...sure.

for

Komisarek, 21, $1.13M

Why the Sabres do this deal: get a RD, and have Comrie who can replace Briere. Dumping Boulton's contract in favor of Peters.

Why the Habs do this deal: get a frontline offensive player who is young, cheap and French-Canadian. Boulton gives some size.

Net salary impact for the Sabres: -$.515M + differences between McKee and Comrie's salary.

Assuming Satan gets signed:

Kotalik / Drury / Satan
Hecht / Comrie / Dumont
Pyatt / Brown / Afinogenov
Peters / Begin / Mair

Zhitnik / Smith
Kalinin / Komisarek
Tallinder / Delmore

Biron
Miller
Habs will never trade Komi

Old
09-20-2003, 05:09 PM
tinyzombies

Briere is a waiver wire catch. Why would Montreal trade a bluechipper for him?

Old
09-21-2003, 02:22 PM
CrazyboutHabs

Send a message via AIM to CrazyboutHabs
Quote:
Comrie, 23, unsigned

for

McKee, 26, unsigned
Connolly, 22, $1.245M
Noronen, 24, $.55M

Why the Sabres do this deal: Comrie is an upgrade on Connolly and Smith is an upgrade on McKee and Noronen is a backup.

Why the Oilers do this deal: cut costs, ability to deal Salo to get rid of his salary with Noronen, McKee won't be eligible for UFA while Smith will in one year, Connolly has the skills and may need new environment. If the Oilers want Kotalik or Afinogenov instead of Connolly...sure.

for

Komisarek, 21, $1.13M

Why the Sabres do this deal: get a RD, and have Comrie who can replace Briere. Dumping Boulton's contract in favor of Peters.

Why the Habs do this deal: get a frontline offensive player who is young, cheap and French-Canadian. Boulton gives some size.

Net salary impact for the Sabres: -$.515M + differences between McKee and Comrie's salary.

Kotalik / Drury / Satan
Hecht / Comrie / Dumont
Peters / Begin / Mair

Zhitnik / Smith
Kalinin / Komisarek
Tallinder / Delmore

Biron
Miller

Great Trade...then we can move Briere and Dykhuis for Bertuzzi and Naslund !!!!
Dream on buddy !!

Old
09-21-2003, 02:25 PM
CrazyboutHabs

Quote:
Comrie, 23, unsigned

for

McKee, 26, unsigned
Connolly, 22, $1.245M
Noronen, 24, $.55M

for

Komisarek, 21, $1.13M

Kotalik / Drury / Satan
Hecht / Comrie / Dumont
Peters / Begin / Mair

Zhitnik / Smith
Kalinin / Komisarek
Tallinder / Delmore

Biron
Miller
Dude, you just lost all credibility !!

Old
09-21-2003, 03:24 PM
eSabre

Send a message via AIM to eSabre
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyboutHabs
Dude, you just lost all credibility !!
Someone who has only been a member for a few weeks and has that few posts can't denounce another credibility. Try earning your own first.

As for the trades, the Edmonton deal seems to work out for both teams, so I guess it could fly.

The Montreal trade will NEVER work... how dare anyone try getting Komisarek... obviously he's GOD, right?

Old
09-21-2003, 03:32 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by eSabre15
The Montreal trade will NEVER work... how dare anyone try getting Komisarek... obviously he's GOD, right?
NOW you're catching on. They guy's 6-4, 225 and he can skate and move the puck and hits like a building. He's also solid in his own end and gets better everyday and has tons of leadership qualities.

Why would they trade him? For What?

Old
09-21-2003, 03:40 PM
Kritty

Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves
Tell me, how on earth to you land on this conclusion? Briere is nowhere near waiver wire material. He was a 1st round pick and has very high level offensive skills. Yes he's small but he has been able to produce at the NHL level. 32 goals and 60 points in one year followed by 24 goals and 58 points looks like pretty solid production to me. He also average almost a point per game when he got to Buffalo.

I'm really trying to understand how Briere is waiver wire material. If Buffalo put him on waivers there would likely be 25-28 teams that would jump all over him, including Montreal.

Old
09-21-2003, 03:44 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritty
Tell me, how on earth to you land on this conclusion? Briere is nowhere near waiver wire material. He was a 1st round pick and has very high level offensive skills. Yes he's small but he has been able to produce at the NHL level. 32 goals and 60 points in one year followed by 24 goals and 58 points looks like pretty solid production to me. He also average almost a point per game when he got to Buffalo.

I'm really trying to understand how Briere is waiver wire material. If Buffalo put him on waivers there would likely be 25-28 teams that would jump all over him, including Montreal.
I meant to say that he was on waivers at one point. Besides he's already said he wouldn't play in Montreal.

Old
09-21-2003, 04:38 PM
CrazyboutHabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by eSabre15
Someone who has only been a member for a few weeks and has that few posts can't denounce another credibility. Try earning your own first.

As for the trades, the Edmonton deal seems to work out for both teams, so I guess it could fly.

Look man, all I'm trying to say is this guy obviously doesn't know Komisarek that well, and it has nothing to do with which team are you a fan of, or how many posts you have, it's about what you know. Komisarek is calder, possibly future Norris caliber (this is not the fan speaking it's the multiple draft reviews and so-called NHL experts) Briere is a guy who landed in a team with weak offensive power (Except Satan of course) and has plenty of ice time. Granted in MTL the afformentionned firepower isn't that great either, but Komisarek is alot more valuable than Brière. Right now it is very difficult evaluating Komisarek on the market because he has not reached full potential and has not even played a full season yet. He is just not up for trade that's it (ok maybe for Bertuzzi or Thornton) but short of that forget it.I won't go around proposing trades with other team's prospects I don't know that well, that's basically it.
Peace

Old
09-21-2003, 04:45 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Ok, from a neutral party, here is my take:

1) Komisarek is a pretty strong prospect. But, annointing him "Calder trophy" and "Norris Trophy" material is a bit much. He is not even a sure thing to play in the NHL. But, he definitely is a nice prospect that any team would love to have.

2) Briere is not waiver wire material. After finally getting his act together, he looks like a definite for 25 - 30 goals a year. His trade value is not huge (and in fact, he was traded for a third line center last year) because of his size, inconsistency, and defensive weaknesses. But, he is far from being a waiver wire guy.

3) Briere does have some trade value, but it is not nearly enough to get a strong prospect like Komisarek. To put this in perspective, would Buffalo fans trade Pyatt, Norenenen, Miller, or one of your other good young players for Briere?

09-21-2003, 06:34 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
Komisarek is a pretty strong prospect. But, annointing him "Calder trophy" and "Norris Trophy" material is a bit much. He is not even a sure thing to play in the NHL. But, he definitely is a nice prospect that any team would love to have.
A bit off here. Komisarek is a lock for the season coming in Montreal. He would have to be quite awful in pre-season to ever go back in Hamilton, but it's the opposite that's happening right now so no chance he's not with the team in the first game of the season. Even if his spot was almost guarenteed from his solid play last year when called up, he came in camp working hard and is receiving raving reviews from management, so I think his NHL career starts this year it's not even a question anymore.

I would never make a bold prediction about him being a future Norris contender but Calder is not out of the picture although he's far from alone there. Still, it's not crazy to beleive he has a shot (McKeen's only predict Miller as a better candidate than him). As for myself, I beleive Ruutu and Pitkanen have a better shot than him but still, he could very likely receive some votes, especially considering that Jackman, a stay-at-home, won it last year for his stellar defensive play.

Old
09-22-2003, 03:28 AM
WhoIsJimBob
#TankEnvy

Quote:
2) Briere is not waiver wire material. After finally getting his act together, he looks like a definite for 25 - 30 goals a year. His trade value is not huge (and in fact, he was traded for a third line center last year) because of his size, inconsistency, and defensive weaknesses. But, he is far from being a waiver wire guy.
Exactly, unless you think Martin St. Louis is waiver wire material and has no trade value as well. But if you think that, then you need your head examined.

But I agree that the Briere + futures for Komisarek would never happen. Montreal isn't going to move Komisarek and the Sabres won't trade Briere.

Briere has played really well ever since he came to Buffalo, he's embraced the Buffalo area, he's become a fan favorite, he's helped the PP, and he's been one of the players at the front of the team's marketing push this year.

If anything, I'd suggest something like getting Comrie and trying to flip him for a player like Komisarek. Kind of like how they got the Drury deal done when they got Reinprecht to flip to Calgary.

But personally, I wouldn't happy with a Sabres deal that added Comrie and subtracted Briere. I know Briere is a fit with the Sabres right now. And I wouldn't gamble on Comrie being as good or better than Briere for the Sabres this year.

Plus, Briere is more affordable this year. Although I'm worried about how contract talks could go next summer with the CBA situation up in the air and the Drury contract fresh in the minds of Briere and his agent.

Old
09-22-2003, 05:05 AM
"G"

for

Komisarek, 21, $1.13M

Yeah sure! Very funny...

Koivu, Ribeiro, Brière, Perreault. That's exactly what habs need.

Old
09-22-2003, 11:04 AM
LALALALALALAFONTAINE

Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves
So was Hasek.

Old
09-22-2003, 12:19 PM
Jeffrey

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
Quote:
So was Hasek.
so was garon

Old
09-22-2003, 02:06 PM
Habs4ever

Drafting Komisarek was the best move by organization!!

as we need the size and talent Komisarek brings, I wouldn't consider trading for Brier as we are looking for power forward, more then scorer, we already have young great prospects that fit the bill to boost the roster so don't expect montreal to pickup brier any time soon.

Old
09-22-2003, 02:11 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen
A bit off here. Komisarek is a lock for the season coming in Montreal. He would have to be quite awful in pre-season to ever go back in Hamilton, but it's the opposite that's happening right now so no chance he's not with the team in the first game of the season. Even if his spot was almost guarenteed from his solid play last year when called up, he came in camp working hard and is receiving raving reviews from management, so I think his NHL career starts this year it's not even a question anymore.

I would never make a bold prediction about him being a future Norris contender but Calder is not out of the picture although he's far from alone there. Still, it's not crazy to beleive he has a shot (McKeen's only predict Miller as a better candidate than him). As for myself, I beleive Ruutu and Pitkanen have a better shot than him but still, he could very likely receive some votes, especially considering that Jackman, a stay-at-home, won it last year for his stellar defensive play.

Even if Komaisarek does make the Habs this year, his ability to stay in the lineup or to make an impact in the NHL is uncertain at best. And, yeah, he might have a shot at the Calder, but it is an outside shot at best. This is a raw kid who still has lots of development to do. Before you talk about the Calder, let's first see him take a regular shift in the NHL for an extended number of games.

Old
09-22-2003, 02:14 PM
oilers_guy_eddie
Craig's on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
Before you talk about the Calder, let's first see him take a regular shift in the NHL for an extended number of games.
(er, can't that be said about any Calder-eligible player? Anybody who's proven he can play a regular shift for an extended number of games kind of lacks Calder eligibility, doesn't he? )

Closed Thread