HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

A Song of Ice and Fire *SPOILERS* Part VIII: Complain about characters being cut

Old
07-27-2014, 07:29 AM
Propane Nightmares
Sales & Marketing

vCash: 500
A Song of Ice and Fire *SPOILERS* Part VIII: Complain about characters being cut

Other thread was locked and nobody started a new one yet

Propane Nightmares is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2014, 08:31 AM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

But really, the most glaring omission is the Dusky Woman.

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2014, 09:27 AM
Sakicfan

Sounds like Darkstar is in!

Quote:
The show is seeking an actor to play a thirtysomething Dornish man described as confident, fierce and charismatic and most notably, skilled with riding horses. They’ll have fight scenes that take place entirely on horseback. The character interacts with the main cast in an important sequence, and is considered someone you wouldn’t want to tangle with.
Other casting news:

Quote:
The show is casting for a young man to play a captured vigilante, referred to as a “Son.”
Quote:
We’ll also be seeing a young Unsullied fighter who likes to spend time at Meereenese brothels, enjoying the affections of the women in his own way. The character is unnamed, but from the description is a clear equivalent to the character of Stalwart Shield, from A Dance with Dragons. Along with the Unsullied man, the show is searching for a woman to play the part of the brothel worker comforting him.
Quote:
We’ll be seeing a ship’s captain in two episodes next season, playing against a main cast member. The role is quite small but the captain is carrying an important passenger.
Quote:
Intriguingly, WatchersOnTheWall sources also tell us that Brienne will encounter an elderly serving woman who becomes her ally in dangerous territory. The character will appear in a few episodes, though the role is small.
Quote:
The last role our sources came across was particularly interesting in how specific it was, and yet still unnamed. Game of Thrones is searching for a man in his fifties, required to be thin and having a long, thin face, to play a character with financial cunning and steeliness. The character has several scenes over two episodes.
The description of the ship's captain fits a lot Jon Connington. Wonder who "Son" is? Maybe a Son of the Harpy since they describe him as a vigilante. The Thin Man is probably a Iron Banker if Gatiss is unavailable to shot scenes for this season.

Last edited by Sakicfan: 07-27-2014 at 09:36 AM.
Sakicfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2014, 10:00 AM
Propane Nightmares
Sales & Marketing

Looks like they won't be killing off Grey Worm straight away then if they're casting another unsullied for the Sons of the Harpy to murder

Old
07-27-2014, 10:34 AM
P U L L H A R D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie
2. Arianne is only set up to be a major player if you assume Aegon is going to be in the show. But unless the series actually ends with him sitting the Iron Throne, there's no need for the show to introduce him as his appearance only complicates things further. If you cut him, you can simply re-direct his support system (Ilyrio, Varys, Dorne, even the Golden Company) toward Dany and have her arrive in Westeros as the lone Targaryen claimant. This could also explain the sidelining of the Greyjoys. Even if Aegon is included, you could simply substitute Obarra for Arianne... with so many new girl characters, there's no reason not to simply merge two in this fashion.
Why not just have Ned Stark solve the "seed is strong" mystery in S1 and present his findings before the Lannisters kill him, so that the Lannisters ("Baratheons") are overthrown and then have the Starks rule the Iron Throne. Could wrap it up in a neat bow in one season!

P U L L H A R D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2014, 01:11 PM
KesselBuiltMyHotrod

It's not Darkstar.

KesselBuiltMyHotrod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2014, 02:23 PM
Tank King Jimmy
DO LESS BETTER

Areo Hotah is in so I'm satisfied.

Tank King Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2014, 02:48 PM
KingLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakicfan View Post
Sounds like Darkstar is in!

Other casting news:

The description of the ship's captain fits a lot Jon Connington. Wonder who "Son" is? Maybe a Son of the Harpy since they describe him as a vigilante. The Thin Man is probably a Iron Banker if Gatiss is unavailable to shot scenes for this season.
Small role with a main character....the captain is the ship captain with Arya I bet.

KingLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2014, 03:05 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by P U L L H A R D View Post
Why not just have Ned Stark solve the "seed is strong" mystery in S1 and present his findings before the Lannisters kill him, so that the Lannisters ("Baratheons") are overthrown and then have the Starks rule the Iron Throne. Could wrap it up in a neat bow in one season!
You need any more straw?

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2014, 03:10 PM
P U L L H A R D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
You need any more straw?
I'm being overzealous, but you can surely see the point I'm trying to make?

Old
07-27-2014, 03:17 PM
Mount Suribachi

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLB View Post
Small role with a main character....the captain is the ship captain with Arya I bet.
Already cast - appeared last season. More likely to be the ships captain transporting Sam/Gilly/Maester Aemon (although I wonder if Aemon will die at the wall, prompting Jon to send Sam to the Citadel - and possibly not via Braavos in order to simplify the plot).

Or it could be transporting Rickon?

Mount Suribachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2014, 03:22 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

I will be pissed if Arianne isn't in the show because Arianne is one of my favorite characters, and if that makes me biased as to her importance than so be it.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2014, 03:25 PM
Corto
Faceless Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by KesselBuiltMyHotrod View Post
It's not Darkstar.
Then who?

Sound exactly like Darkstar to me.

I don't see a problem with omitting Arienne and having Trystane try and crown Myrcella.
I do see a potential problem down the line when Doran sends Arienne to court fAegon.

Corto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2014, 03:27 PM
BernierNo1Fan

It's hard to believe that a show which is obsessed with gratuitous nudity and sex would pass up on a character like Arianne.

BernierNo1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2014, 03:46 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

Quote:
I'm being overzealous, but you can surely see the point I'm trying to make?
Imagine D&D have been told fAegon dies midway through TWOW and Dany merely sweeps all of his support. What's the point in using the 30 hours you have left to introduce and explain him in order to kill him next season when you could just as easily put Dany in his place from the start?

I'm talking plot economy, something GRRM is terrible at, you're talking about fundamentally altering the narrative.

Old
07-27-2014, 04:15 PM
P U L L H A R D

Quote:
Imagine D&D have been told fAegon dies midway through TWOW and Dany merely sweeps all of his support. What's the point in using the 30 hours you have left to introduce and explain him in order to kill him next season when you could just as easily put Dany in his place from the start?

I'm talking plot economy, something GRRM is terrible at, you're talking about fundamentally altering the narrative.
Well, if that is the case, then yeah it makes sense. As it stands though, we don't know that, so I understand the backlash fans will likely have. I personally don't worry about the show very much, I just thought you were being a little lenient for D&D. I'm in the same camp as you on the later books as well. I could hardly get through them at times. They were outright dull for stretches. I still don't think D&D should be snipping a char like this though. I am assuming your hypothetical is at least on the right track, or else this wouldn't be possibility. Which is kind of annoying in a way. I don't want stupid casting news to hint at spoilers for future books.

Old
07-27-2014, 05:01 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Quote:

Why include Oberyn if he was just going to die in the same season? That's just such poor logic. I mean, if we're talking plot economy, why include a bunch of **** that just doesn't matter in the end?

Just because "it doesn't matter in the end" doesn't mean it doesn't make for a good story. It's not about just getting from A to B, it's HOW you get there.

You're way too lenient on the show. If you don't like the books, that's fine. There are plenty of people who actually do.

And this is coming from someone who watched the first three seasons THEN read the books.

Old
07-27-2014, 05:22 PM
Propane Nightmares
Sales & Marketing

I'd be disappointed if they cut fAegon

It's a fairly significant character reveal, providing silly ADD show watchers actually remember who that is

Old
07-27-2014, 05:29 PM
KesselBuiltMyHotrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corto View Post
Then who?

Sound exactly like Darkstar to me.
Well let's go to the source of the news.
Quote:
Update 7/27, 10:25: Iíve just heard back from another source who is confirming that the Dornish horse rider, despite the resemblance to Darkstar, is just a minor character and not meant to be him.
http://watchersonthewall.com/game-th...ar-equivalent/

Old
07-27-2014, 05:30 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

I forget who actually revealed Aegon, or did Tyrion just figure it out? Either way, someone can explain in excruciating detail about who he is, like Lysa did when she blurted out the whole Jon Arryn thing to Baelish.

Also, in regards to my point in the post above, let's not forget that two episodes were spent on the whole mutineers thing, if we're talking about things unimportant to the end game.

Old
07-27-2014, 05:38 PM
Propane Nightmares
Sales & Marketing

IIRC they did tell Tyrion eventually but he had already figured it out

He definitely figured it out on his own but I can't remember whether they told him or if he called them out on it

Old
07-27-2014, 05:44 PM
Sakicfan

We know there is going to be a second Dance of Dragons, most probably between Dany and Aegon (if not them, then who else?), and Dany is not reaching Westeros before the end of TWOW, so there is no way Aegon dies before ADOS. In fact, he will probably win the Iron Throne with the help of the Faith and of the Reach bannermen (Tarly, Hightower...). He is an important player.

Even if Aegon dies in ADOS, I highly doubt his supporters will join Dany's. Varys & Illyrio are probably Blackfyre and/or Brightlame and hates Targaryens. The Golden Company hates Targaryen. Dany is going to be associated with R'hllor because of Benerro and Moqorro so the Faith won't join her. The Targ loyalists Reach bannermen could join her I guess, but I'm not so sure. Dany will come with hordes of Dothrakis, Essosi outsiders and Ironborns. Not a good recipe to convince Westeros people to join her side.

And if Aegon is cut, I still don't see any good alternative that explained Varys actions so far in the show.

Old
07-27-2014, 05:49 PM
Sakicfan

Tyrion figures it out just before the stonemen attack them. Someone (Lemore I think?) tells Young Griff to hide because everything is over without him and that's when Tyrion connects the dots.

Old
07-27-2014, 05:54 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

this all sounds like stuff that's totally going to be in the show mhmm

Old
07-27-2014, 06:00 PM
KesselBuiltMyHotrod

Quote:
I'd watch that season.