HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

The Office - Season 9

Old
02-01-2013, 01:41 AM
17futurecap

vCash: 500
I enjoyed both episodes, always good to see Dwight's cast of characters for the interviews, and I like that Jim and Pam are having problems since they never really did the past few seasons, but to make this into some sort of love triangle is kind of awful.

Will be interesting to see when Brian makes his inevitable move in on Pam if she says no right away like Jim did to I believe her name was Kathy down in Florida.

17futurecap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 04:05 AM
RECsGuy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17futurecap View Post
I enjoyed both episodes, always good to see Dwight's cast of characters for the interviews, and I like that Jim and Pam are having problems since they never really did the past few seasons, but to make this into some sort of love triangle is kind of awful.

Will be interesting to see when Brian makes his inevitable move in on Pam if she says no right away like Jim did to I believe her name was Kathy down in Florida.
If not for this, Season 9 could rank among the show's best.

RECsGuy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 09:21 AM
silverfish
KEVIN!

I find myself hating this Brian guy, GET THE **** AWAY FROM PAM! But as you guys have said, I'm not a fan of the love triangle arc either, it seems very forced and out of nowhere.

Despite being fired, obviously I don't think this is the end for the Brian character. Figure this might even add him to the storyline more, now that he doesn't have to "avoid" Pam or 'the subjects' as part of his job description.

I'm really enjoying this season.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 09:31 AM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

vCash: 844
I watched both episodes, and overall enjoyed them, but this whole "Brian" storyline has just left me shaking my head.

My GF asked me why last night, and all I could say, the only words I could put into words, were this: They built up the Jim being in love with Pam story over the first 2 season before HE said anything to her (at end of season 2) and she rejected him. They then put Jim in Stamford for first part of season 3 before bringing him back to Scranton, but HE was with someone else and it was Pam that had realized her feelings for him but was keeping quiet, before Jim realizing that he is in fact still in love with Pam and then asking her out at the end of season 3.

So that's 3 seasons of build up. Of "will they/won't they". And after it happened, yes, we, the audience, weren't privy to their entire lives. We don't know what happens when they go home at the end of the day. But since season 4, when they were confirmed as being together, we have seen them as some sort of "super couple" that never fought (just from what we see).

So then "the fight". Last week, Jim is upset at himself for being in a position to miss his daughter's recital, but on the surface he tries to deflect his disappointment in himself to disappointment in Pam for not recording it. Pam is harboring some strong resentment for Jim being in Philadelphia and, based on some Athlead's worker the week before last, hasn't seemed to have come to terms with the fact that she and her family will most likely have to move to Scranton. Their both upset, seemingly with themselves for either A) Not being there, or, B) For not speaking up sooner.

But I don't see this as a reason that we, the audience, should be believing that Pam may be tempted by Brian...yet that's where we are.

Like I, and someone else, stated before, they did the whole "Temptation" storyline with Jim down in Miami with that Kathy person, and he didn't skip a beat, he flatly rejected her.

I don't see the writers of The Office investing all of their time in the Jim & Pam relationship only to have them split in the last season. Though if they did want it to be "grounded in a sense of reality" like I keep reading in various writer/actor interviews lately, then that certainly could happen. Though they would HAVE to know that there would be some seriously harsh fan feedback for that.

I think that this Brian fellow will make his move, but Pam wouldn't necessarily be receptive to it, but would be kind of caught off guard by it, like having a sense of bewilderment, and then Jim will find out someway and then come back from Philly and "fight for her" or something like that.

Here's a question unrelated to last night's episdoes....

Why is Ed Helms still listed in the credits if he is seemingly not in the rest of the season? Now I know that he'll turn up, but this was more just a throwaway rhetorical question. Obviously he'll turn up so that they can break he and Erin up and allow for Pete and Erin to happen.

RockLobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:00 AM
silverfish
KEVIN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
Great Post
Well said. However I think we've already seen Pam+Brian go much farther than Jim+Kathy, and I'm convinced we haven't seen the end, hell, barely seen the beginning, of Pam+Brian. I mean, that was an overly sexual boom mic to the head

And I think there's no way the writers end the show with JAM ending, but I think we're in for more with Pam+Brian.

And how good does Jenna Fischer look for near 40? My God. I have such a soft spot for her, easily in my top 5... But I can admit I have a very odd, unique, top 5.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:04 AM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
Well said. However I think we've already seen Pam+Brian go much farther than Jim+Kathy, and I'm convinced we haven't seen the end, hell, barely seen the beginning, of Pam+Brian.

And I think there's no way the writers end the show with JAM ending, but I think we're in for more with Pam+Brian.

And how good does Jenna Fischer look for near 40? My God. I have such a soft spot for her, easily in my top 5... But I can admit I have a very odd, unique, top 5.
Definitely they're taking it farther than that Jim and Kathy, the point being though that Jim was DEFINITELY in that situation, where we're all speculating, with good reason, that that will happen w/ Pam/Brian. Yeah the storyline was short lived w/ Jim and Kathy, but it was short lived with Kathy "bringing the heat" so to speak. She definitely went all out to get him to cheat w/ her.

And BTW, I don't recall posting "Great Post" in this thread before? LOL, how'd I get quoted on that! Though there have been several excellent posts in this thread, whether they're recaps to have me look at something differently, or maybe thoughts on how a storyline may play out. Methinks that my prior post was so long that HF couldn't bear to have it actually quoted, so HF itself just summarized it as a "Good post" when it was quoted! lol

****EDIT****

And I know this is the wrong thread, was just curious if anyone here watched 30 Rock during it's very funny 7 year run? I'm gonna head over to that thread, but was curious if I'd see friendly faces? (I only discovered the "Entertainment" thread within the last couple of weeks again)

Old
02-01-2013, 10:11 AM
silverfish
KEVIN!

Quote:
Definitely they're taking it farther than that Jim and Kathy, the point being though that Jim was DEFINITELY in that situation, where we're all speculating, with good reason, that that will happen w/ Pam/Brian. Yeah the storyline was short lived w/ Jim and Kathy, but it was short lived with Kathy "bringing the heat" so to speak. She definitely went all out to get him to cheat w/ her.

And BTW, I don't recall posting "Great Post" in this thread before? LOL, how'd I get quoted on that! Though there have been several excellent posts in this thread, whether they're recaps to have me look at something differently, or maybe thoughts on how a storyline may play out. Methinks that my prior post was so long that HF couldn't bear to have it actually quoted, so HF itself just summarized it as a "Good post" when it was quoted! lol

****EDIT****

And I know this is the wrong thread, was just curious if anyone here watched 30 Rock during it's very funny 7 year run? I'm gonna head over to that thread, but was curious if I'd see friendly faces? (I only discovered the "Entertainment" thread within the last couple of weeks again)
Haha! It was an amazing post, but when I quote a really long post, I like to just write in "great post" or something along those lines instead of making the page that much longer

Old
02-01-2013, 10:13 AM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

Quote:
Haha! It was an amazing post, but when I quote a really long post, I like to just write in "great post" or something along those lines instead of making the page that much longer
That's actually a really good idea...I'm gonna steal that. But don't worry, when someone asks me where I thought of that idea, I will TOTALLY steal it and tell them I thought of it on my own!

Old
02-01-2013, 10:15 AM
silverfish
KEVIN!

Quote:
That's actually a really good idea...I'm gonna steal that. But don't worry, when someone asks me where I thought of that idea, I will TOTALLY steal it and tell them I thought of it on my own!
Do what you gotta do

Old
02-01-2013, 11:12 AM
Pattysaurus

Like you guys, I'm not a fan of this triangle storyline. Do you think it would have been better if Brian had been introduced before this season? It seems so rushed.

On another note, I've always liked Andy but I haven't missed him at all.

Pattysaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:13 AM
Teemu

I actually like the notion of the documentary crew becoming "too involved" with the show on the final season, as it gives the show a good reason to end. However, I'm in agreement with the Brian and Pam thing. I just don't see that working out very well for the show.

Teemu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 09:01 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

Agreed on Pam-Brian.

They either should have:
1. Shown a bit more tension in the relationship before Philly, so that they didn't look like a 'fairy tale ending' by S5/6
2. Not done the Jim-Kathy thing if they were going to roll with Pam-Brian.

02-01-2013, 09:13 PM
silverfish
KEVIN!

From Brian Baumgartner's Twitter...

I'll spoiler tag what he tweeted just in case? Better safe than sorry... I don't think it's a spoiler. It's in regards to Pam/Brian. Read at your own risk, I suppose.

Spoil:
I mean lets face it- Pam cheated before so it is not out of character. Plus- Brian is sexy. #TeamBrian @jennafischer

https://twitter.com/BBBaumgartner/st...19051707944963

Old
02-01-2013, 09:18 PM
17futurecap

I don't have much to add from what I said last night, but I enjoyed reading everyone's comments on the two episodes today.

Old
02-01-2013, 09:20 PM
Elever
Hth

This is The Office not How I Met Your Mother.

Ignore worrying or speculating about the story line and just enjoy the laughs. This show is at least still funny (usually). Hoping for another Creed moment before it ends.

Elever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:07 PM
17futurecap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloparren View Post
This is The Office not How I Met Your Mother.

Ignore worrying or speculating about the story line and just enjoy the laughs. This show is at least still funny (usually). Hoping for another Creed moment before it ends.
I'm not worried about how Jim and Pam end, just think Brian was unnecessary. I think this has been a great season, a million times better then last year.

It was weird that Pete and Erin went two episodes last night not having one scene together. I thought Erin covering for Darrell was awesome. Ellie Kemper is probably going to go on and get her own television show after The Office ends.

Old
02-06-2013, 10:20 PM
17futurecap

Quote:
Ellie Kemper hasn’t even closed The Office door behind her, and she’s already lined up a new gig at NBC.

Confirming a move that was rumored last month, the Bridesmaids star will play the lead in Brenda Forever, a Peacock Net single-camera comedy pilot.

The potential series would consist of stories from Brenda Miller’s past and present, which would mesh together to give a unique portrait of how a chubby, awkward but incredibly confident 13-year-old grew up to be a 31-year-old woman who still does her own thing.

http://tvline.com/2013/02/06/brenda-...st-the-office/
Congrats to Ellie! Doesn't sound like a show I will be tuning into however.

Old
02-06-2013, 10:36 PM
Kitten Mittons

I've always wondered about her age on the show. Andy is over 30 for sure, the new kid is like 21-22. How old is she?

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 11:04 PM
MeowLeafs
LM is awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
I've always wondered about her age on the show. Andy is over 30 for sure, the new kid is like 21-22. How old is she?
Do you mean Pete? He easily looks over 21/22.

And Ellie Kemper is 32 irl.

MeowLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 11:31 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeowLeafs View Post
Do you mean Pete? He easily looks over 21/22.
I thought they were college students doing an internship or something.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 07:24 AM
Pattysaurus

I think they're both out of college and supposed to be like 23, 24. I think she's supposed to be later 20s (27, 28).

Pattysaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 02:41 PM
Elever
Hth

No Pete in real life is at least around 30. He used to be on this ABC sitcom from a few years ago that lasted one season, it was actually fairly decent. Much better than some of the stuff currently on at least. The way he talked and looked was pretty different, his character was confident/stupid rather than a mix between Pam and Jim 2.0.

Elever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 01:54 AM
17futurecap

Was a fine episode, Erin breaking up with Andy followed by Wallace listening in brought a smile to my face, came off as such a jerk tonight. Since The Farm didn't get picked up I hope Dwight winds up as manager to end the show. Thought Toby would have joined Nellie at the nail salon for some awkwardness. Pam/Jim/Brian was meh. Kind of surprised there was no cold open tonight?

Old
02-08-2013, 09:00 AM
silverfish
KEVIN!

Can someone tell me what happened with Andy and David Wallace on the phone after Erin broke up with him? My DVR cut out. Was it just the fact that Wallace was on the phone? Or did they actually talk about something of substance?

Pretty meh episode. The first scene between Erin and Andy was so cringeworthy. I don't expect Ed Helms to be around for much longer, and actually thought the show was a lot better with him out of sight, out of mind.

Good on Jim and Pam for fighting on Valentine's day

Old
02-08-2013, 09:48 AM
Mister Wood

Quote:
Can someone tell me what happened with Andy and David Wallace on the phone after Erin broke up with him? My DVR cut out. Was it just the fact that Wallace was on the phone? Or did they actually talk about something of substance?

Pretty meh episode. The first scene between Erin and Andy was so cringeworthy. I don't expect Ed Helms to be around for much longer, and actually thought the show was a lot better with him out of sight, out of mind.

Good on Jim and Pam for fighting on Valentine's day
Basically Erin broke up with him and said YOU WERE GONE FOR THREE MONTHS! while Wallace was on speakerphone

Mister Wood is offline   Reply With Quote