HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Do you believe Martin will bounce back next season?

View Poll Results: Do you believe Martin will bounce back next season?
Yes 76 74.51%
No 26 25.49%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-21-2012, 06:08 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Burkupine

vCash: 500
Do you believe Martin will bounce back next season?

Yes or no...do you think Martin will bounce back next year and be able to give us 23+ good minutes a game?

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 06:11 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
if paired with Letang i'm (arbitrarily) 80% confident that he bounces back. but if paired with Orpik i'd say i'm only 50% confident that he bounces back.

Crafton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 06:35 PM
Blitzburgh87*

I hope so. Shut up all these people who think he's the Scott Gomez of defenseman.

Blitzburgh87* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 06:39 PM
Cardboard Orpik
Out 4-6 Weeks

I think so. His last season wasn't as bad as most seem to think, at least not the first half. He has the skill, I have hope that he'll find his mojo again.

Cardboard Orpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 06:58 PM
wgknestrick

Yes.

-Only 1 way to go from the bottom
-Miserable Michalek is gone. No longer has to have the worst D man as a partner
-As a side note, he may now be our worst D man
-Was a dominant possession D man in NJ prior to shoulder injury. I don't know if that has severely effected his career or he is just going through a tough time.

wgknestrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 07:07 PM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

anything's gotta be a bounce back. He can't be as bad as he was last year.

Ragamuffin Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 07:08 PM
SEALBound

The bar is set low...just for his sake and his sake alone I hope so...

SEALBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 07:16 PM
Sideline

Mean reversion says yes.

Sideline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 07:18 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

I think he'll be better than last year for sure. I think he'll be back to being a really good defenseman as soon as he's playing in a simpler and safer defensive system whether that is with us or someone else. Doesn't need to be a complete trap or anything, just a full team commitment to playing smart defense like we saw with Sid and Geno out in 2010-2011.

That said, he'll also likely never be a great playoff d-man because his lack of physicality isn't changing anytime soon.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 07:24 PM
UnrealMachine

He showed improvement throughout the season. We'll never see him live up to his cap hit, unfortunately. Really hope he gets better.

UnrealMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 07:27 PM
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!

vCash: 80
I think there's a good chance that he'll play closer to the level he did his first year in Pittsburgh than this past season, but at the same time I'm not comfortable with his "style" of defenseman as our de facto #2. This is especially the case come playoff time, where he just doesn't seem to play a game that's conducive to playoff hockey.

I hope he can rebound. At the very least it will bump up his trade value if Shero decides to go that route.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 07:28 PM
Sivek

No, as in he won't be a legitimately good top 3 defenseman on a Cup contender. Honestly, I think his 2010-11 play has gained a bit of mythological bump due to his poor play last season. I though he was a bit above-average but I don't think he was a great player that season.

One thing that makes me think Martin could rebound is if DB uses him more effectively, i.e., do not use him strictly against high-level players. His qualcomp was easily the highest of the Pens' d-man last year during 5 on 5 play which makes me believe that he (and the Pens by extension) would really benefit from shifting him to a less strenuous role. This is going to mean guys like Despres, Niskaean and Engelland, whom were really sheltered 5 on 5 last year, are going to have to step up in minutes played and competition faced.

In short, I don't he will return to a level of consistently high play that he displayed in NJ but I think if used more judiciously, he can still play a solid role on the team. Whether or not DB goes it direction, we'll see.

Sivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 07:32 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 50
I hope so but probably not.

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 07:35 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivek View Post
No, as in he won't be a legitimately good top 3 defenseman on a Cup contender. Honestly, I think his 2010-11 play has gained a bit of mythological bump due to his poor play last season. I though he was a bit above-average but I don't think he was a great player that season.

One thing that makes me think Martin could rebound is if DB uses him more effectively, i.e., do not use him strictly against high-level players. His qualcomp was easily the highest of the Pens' d-man last year during 5 on 5 play which makes me believe that he (and the Pens by extension) would really benefit from shifting him to a less strenuous role. This is going to mean guys like Despres, Niskaean and Engelland, whom were really sheltered 5 on 5 last year, are going to have to step up in minutes played and competition faced.

In short, I don't he will return to a level of consistently high play that he displayed in NJ but I think if used more judiciously, he can still play a solid role on the team. Whether or not DB goes it direction, we'll see.
Sadly, the same thing seems true of Orpik at this point too. They could make a really solid 2nd pairing probably.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 07:45 PM
UnrealMachine

Double post.

UnrealMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 08:48 PM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrealMachine View Post
He showed improvement throughout the season. We'll never see him live up to his cap hit, unfortunately. Really hope he gets better.
Martin really doesn't have to play that much better to be worth his cap hit, TBH. Just look at what guys got this summer:

Carle - 5.5
Wideman - 5.25
Garrison - 4.6
Kronwall - 4.75

Ragamuffin Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 08:52 PM
DegenX
#FireMorehouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
I think he'll be better than last year for sure. I think he'll be back to being a really good defenseman as soon as he's playing in a simpler and safer defensive system whether that is with us or someone else. Doesn't need to be a complete trap or anything, just a full team commitment to playing smart defense like we saw with Sid and Geno out in 2010-2011.

That said, he'll also likely never be a great playoff d-man because his lack of physicality isn't changing anytime soon.
This is true for ... well, the entire D.

With that said, as pissed off as Shero was after our spectacular first round exit, I would be very surprised if there aren't some tweaks/changes to the system ... which should contribute to a bounce back year for Martin and Orpik both.

DegenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 10:23 PM
TheRollingPuck
Free fallin'

I think he will.

He lacked confidence with the puck, and didn't play his game. On the other side, he would compensate that by trying to do too much. He just never looked comfortable, and subsequently couldn't find a groove. I think he makes the most of next season.

TheRollingPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 10:36 PM
SomeDude

Yes, but it won't matter what he does. HF is convinced he's a horrible hockey player and Pens fans have labeled him as a scapegoat. Unless he wins the norris, he'll get a ton of heat.

SomeDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 10:41 PM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

He's been worling very very hard his year in Minnesota to have a boince back year. He wants to stay and has gone on record in June in a couple of articles I believe saying that he loves it here, is disapppointed about having a bad season and is derermined to working hard all summer to prove his critics wrong.

Its hard to believe that he won't have a bounce back season based on how highly touted he is/was amongst his peers.

SprootsMasterFlex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 10:41 PM
diligent_d

I believe!

diligent_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 10:45 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Burkupine

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDude View Post
Yes, but it won't matter what he does. HF is convinced he's a horrible hockey player and Pens fans have labeled him as a scapegoat. Unless he wins the norris, he'll get a ton of heat.
Not necessarily. Niskanen overcame his ****** rep this past year.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 12:03 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
I will vote no. I don't believe in Bylsma changing the system enough and Martin is just not strong enough in the NHL right now. I think he'd be a great 1 on 1 defender, but we will never see 3 on 3 down low under Bylsma.

I say he will be quite a mess all season.

ColePens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 12:57 AM
Slabber Chops

Voted yes. If he does indeed bounce back this season, the Pens' blue-line looks one awful lot better.

Slabber Chops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 01:46 AM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
I will vote no. I don't believe in Bylsma changing the system enough and Martin is just not strong enough in the NHL right now. I think he'd be a great 1 on 1 defender, but we will never see 3 on 3 down low under Bylsma.

I say he will be quite a mess all season.
That's my biggest concern. If he contines to beat his head against the wall and go with a system with obvious flaws, the defense in general is going to suffer.

Zen Arcade is online now   Reply With Quote