HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Do you believe Martin will bounce back next season?

View Poll Results: Do you believe Martin will bounce back next season?
Yes 76 74.51%
No 26 25.49%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-22-2012, 07:23 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

vCash: 500
Yes, I honestly do think he will bounce back

Le Magnifique 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 08:01 AM
TravisUlrich

After having the whole summer to cool off about it I do remember how good Martin can be. So yeah I do think he will bounce back.

TravisUlrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 09:11 AM
wgknestrick

As I said before, an entire season of not having to play with Michalek against top lines will do wonders to everyone of his stats. He will bounce back and I also think he was playing hurt/injured last year. Michalek is awful. I still wonder what they saw in him. He has no track record of ever being good. Martin has, and my money is on him. I'd actually like to see him paired up with Engelland or Niskannen. Leave Orpik/Letang to go against top lines.

Better question is will MAF "bounce"?

wgknestrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 09:17 AM
Darth Vitale
Dark Mod Powers

Where's the "sorta" option? Translated to: he'll be better than last year but still not worth $5M.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 09:19 AM
Ogrezilla
Arrogant Yinzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgknestrick View Post
As I said before, an entire season of not having to play with Michalek against top lines will do wonders to everyone of his stats. He will bounce back and I also think he was playing hurt/injured last year. Michalek is awful. I still wonder what they saw in him. He has no track record of ever being good. Martin has, and my money is on him. I'd actually like to see him paired up with Engelland or Niskannen. Leave Orpik/Letang to go against top lines.

I predict Michalek will look outstanding again in Phoenix. He was great in Phoenix before. He was really good here for a year. He was NOT as bad as Martin was here last year. Not even close.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 09:26 AM
mpp9

One of Martin/Niskanen/Despres won't be on the roster come playoffs. It'll be interesting how it shakes out.

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 09:26 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
I predict Michalek will look outstanding again in Phoenix. He was great in Phoenix before. He was really good here for a year. He was NOT as bad as Martin was here last year. Not even close.
The defensive system in place in Phoenix makes a lot of players look good

Old
08-22-2012, 09:27 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgknestrick View Post

He definitely played hurt, was announced after the series against the Flyers

Old
08-22-2012, 09:31 AM
EatonBabies
Bylsma Blows!

He'll play better, but everyone will still be calling for his head.

EatonBabies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 09:38 AM
cassius

With Martin, anything better than playing like a beer league defenseman in a no-contact division will be considered a bounceback year.

I really don't think it's possible for any $5M defenseman to play worse than he did last year, especially down the stretch and into the post-season. It got to the point where I was ashamed that Martin was even wearing the Pens jersey.

So yes - I think even if he is still horrendous this season, it will technically be an "improvement" over his play last year.

I could be an eternal optimist, but I think Martin will "suck less" compared to how bad he sucked last year.

cassius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 09:41 AM
Ogrezilla
Arrogant Yinzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Magnifique 66 View Post
The defensive system in place in Phoenix makes a lot of players look good
he looked good here for a year too. and if that defensive system makes bad players look good then we really should be adopting it.

Old
08-22-2012, 10:10 AM
Steve Holt
Haters gonna hate

For those talking about the playoffs, wasn't Martin dealing with concussion symptoms around that time?

Steve Holt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 10:14 AM
spizzle420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superunknown94 View Post
For those talking about the playoffs, wasn't Martin dealing with concussion symptoms around that time?
from my understanding, not until game 3-4, when schenn charged martin and asham dropped schenn with the high cross-check.

spizzle420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 10:20 AM
Ogrezilla
Arrogant Yinzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superunknown94 View Post
his playoff woes stretch back to his time in Jersey. I think he'd be OK with the right partner and with a few less minutes.

Old
08-22-2012, 10:23 AM
dr robbie
Let's Go Pens!

Hope, wish, dream: Yes
Think it will happen: No

dr robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 10:46 AM
bigd

Hopefully he has a tremendous first half and we can get a good return for him at the trade deadline. The guy has never been and will never be a playoff defender, too soft!

bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 11:26 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd View Post
Hopefully he has a tremendous first half and we can get a good return for him at the trade deadline. The guy has never been and will never be a playoff defender, too soft!
If our youngsters develop well and guys like Strait and Bortuzzo look steady game after game it can definitely become an option for Shero at the deadline. However I have a feeling if he is indeed traded, it will be after the season

Old
08-22-2012, 11:41 AM
DegenX
Mixing the Kool-Aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
I will vote no. I don't believe in Bylsma changing the system enough and Martin is just not strong enough in the NHL right now. I think he'd be a great 1 on 1 defender, but we will never see 3 on 3 down low under Bylsma.

I say he will be quite a mess all season.
Shero was furious after that first round exit. He wasn't jumping around, cursing and screaming publicly, but the rage was practically rolling off of him in waves in the interviews he did. IIRC he commented that they would be reviewing film ... if the Pens don't go back to something more along the lines of the 09-10/10-11 seasons, I'll be surprised. I can't imagine Bylsma escaped without any scorch marks.

DegenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 11:43 AM
Hophog

I'd like to think yes but lets see.
He still won't be able to hit, clear the crease, score a goal, block a shot or stick up for a teamate, so in terms of my definition of what makes a good defenceman I think he'll still suck.

With that said I think he'll be better at making that first pass out of his zone and skating the puck out of danger which are supposedly his strengths.

Hophog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 11:45 AM
Ogrezilla
Arrogant Yinzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DegenX View Post
Shero was furious after that first round exit. He wasn't jumping around, cursing and screaming publicly, but the rage was practically rolling off of him in waves in the interviews he did. IIRC he commented that they would be reviewing film ... if the Pens don't go back to something more along the lines of the 09-10/10-11 seasons, I'll be surprised. I can't imagine Bylsma escaped without any scorch marks.
agreed.

Old
08-22-2012, 12:18 PM
wgknestrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
I suggest you go back and look at the stats. He was significantly outshot at 5v5. Not even a close step from his pairing to the next in his last year at PHX.

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stati...52+53+54+55+56

In his entire NHL career, he has only posted a + Corsi once. Not exactly a good track record IMO, and his reputation is unearned. His "shot blocking" is more a result of him always having to play in his own zone than his proficiency at it. It doesn't matter how good he "looks" if he has never been able to produce the results. He does play against top competition but gets dominated by them.

On the flip side, Martin has never posted a - Corsi for us or NJD. His teams are consistently out shooting the competition while he is on the ice. This is why I think he is bound to bounce back and have a good year for us. Judging players by both their results and what you see gives you the best picture. Not a good idea to sell low with him. Every player can have a bad year. If we are singing the same song half way through the season, then he is gone.

wgknestrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 01:12 PM
DoctrSteveBrule
BrooksOrpeck

he was good for us 2 season ago, I see no reason he can't get up to that level again.

People forget the amount of shutdown D we played with Malkin and Crosby both out. That whole philosophy was built around Martin and Michalek playing great defense. It can happen again but there will be a lot of moving pieces that need to contribute to his success. Its not as simple as him stepping his game up. Systematic adjustments need to be made as well.

DoctrSteveBrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 01:25 PM
Killahpunk
Legend

vCash: 310
He will still be over paid next season.

Killahpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 01:42 PM
Sh00terMcGavin
Get Well Tanger

The offseason optimism is strong in this thread . But I do hope you guys are right. I'm not asking him to turn into a 60 point defenseman, just a solid puck mover who can contribute a bit offensively.

Sh00terMcGavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 01:50 PM
Pens1566

Voted yes. The whole "what have you done for me lately" emo **** is getting old. You don't go from top 20 d-man to bottom of the barrel in one seasons time unless your name is Wade Redden.

Considering what some other d-men have signed at since then, he'll be worth his $$$.

Pens1566 is offline   Reply With Quote