HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Do you believe Martin will bounce back next season?

View Poll Results: Do you believe Martin will bounce back next season?
Yes 76 74.51%
No 26 25.49%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-22-2012, 01:58 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh00terMcGavin View Post
The offseason optimism is strong in this thread . But I do hope you guys are right. I'm not asking him to turn into a 60 point defenseman, just a solid puck mover who can contribute a bit offensively.
I don't care one lick about his offense. I want him to be reliable in our end.

Ogrezilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 10:14 PM
UnrealMachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragamuffin Gunner View Post
Martin really doesn't have to play that much better to be worth his cap hit, TBH. Just look at what guys got this summer:

Carle - 5.5
Wideman - 5.25
Garrison - 4.6
Kronwall - 4.75
Just because some other d-men also got bloated contracts does not make Martin's any more palatable. Certainly for $5M you would expect better things than being outplayed by almost every other d-man on the team. The fact that he cannot contribute on the PP and is a secondary contributor on the PK is especially troublesome. That withstanding, I would do cartwheels if Martin had a year like Garrison did last season.

UnrealMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 10:30 PM
Jules Winnfield
I gives no ****s!!!

I think Martin will bounce back as long as Bylsma isn't employing the Caps 2009 run and gun system he had last year.

He really needs to focus on providing some defensive support in the neutral zone to help out the defensemen from constantly dealing with odd man breaks.

Prime Lidstrom would've looked like **** on our defense last year.

Jules Winnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 01:01 AM
Human
cynic

nope.

Human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 07:24 AM
Polaris Husky
The North Star

For a certain definition of "Bounce Back".

He won't be as mind-meltingly terrible as he was last season.

I have my doubts that he'll be anything more than average at best, though.

Polaris Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 10:11 AM
Skk82

26 times Paul Martin had a negative plus/minus for a game in 2011-12, and half of them (13) came by November 26th. +/- isn’t the be all end all, not suggesting that, but it does, in a raw fashion, show the amount of goals going in the right net and the wrong net. Martin had just an awful of a start to his season and he sort of bounced-back already from that when the ill-fated Martin/Michalek defensive pairing was split for good.

He’ll always have a fan target on his back, because he makes $5 million dollars and doesn’t hit anyone or lead the power play, but if the Pens ask Martin to do what he did last season (play 23 minutes a night against the other team’s best scorers) he’ll have some ups and downs. But he’ll perform better in that role than anyone else currently on the roster.

I’ve accepted Martin for the player he is and don’t expect the world. I’d settle for the same level of play he demonstrated from December to before playoffs, if he makes better mental decisions more consistently. As in, don’t pinch in far in the offensive zone, risking an odd-man break the other way. Multiply this times 100 if he’s out there with Letang, who’s prone not to be in a position to recover unless he has half the rink to skate down a breakaway and break it up, possibly taking a penalty in the process.

Every NHL defensemen makes a physical mistake now and then (i.e. can’t clear the puck out of the zone) and it ends up in your net. Especially when you play against such top competition. But Martin’s veteran enough and ought to be smart enough not to make (and repeat) many of the mental decisions that he makes in the course of a game.

Last edited by Skk82: 08-23-2012 at 10:18 AM.
Skk82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 10:27 AM
End of Line
Human After All

As long as the team goes back to their system and not the 80's Oilers, he should do fine.

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
End of Line is offline   Reply With Quote