Notices

Lukas Sutter carries on the family line of work

Old
08-21-2012, 10:25 PM
HF Article
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Lukas Sutter carries on the family line of work

In sports, there is an old adage that says a competitor should always play for the logo on the front of the sweater and not for the name on the back. It is one of those bits of wisdom, like giving 110% or the fact that there is no "I" in TEAM, that is constantly repeated and now borders on being a cliché due to overuse.

But for Winnipeg Jets prospect, Lukas Sutter, although his compete level can never be challenged, it has to be acknowledged that he gets just as much attention due to the name on his back, regardless of what sweater he pulls over his head.… read more

More...

HF Article is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 10:39 PM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

Hi folks,

Just an add to this article with a little story about Winnipeg's other prospect who played at the Canada-Russia Challenge.

Although I didn't interview Mark Schiefele directly, I did get to interact with him a bit. While interviewing Hockey Canada's goaltending coach Ron Tugnutt, Schiefele came up beside me and pretended to shove a make-believe microphone in Tugnutt's face as well.

Tugnutt didn't skip a beat as I finished up my questions and then was joking with Schiefele that he was an old pro and he couldn't be fazed.

Afterwards, as Schiefele was being interviewed by a few of the other media around, Tugnutt pulled the same gag, sticking his hand in the scrum. Immediately Schiefele cracked up and Tugnutt walked away laughing.

08-22-2012, 07:23 AM
Pavelec4MVP
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 50
I have been impressed by both Scheifele and Sutter

Pavelec4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 09:02 AM
DespoticNewt

vCash: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
I have been impressed by both Scheifele and Sutter
I'm looking forward to seeing what Sutter can do on our checking line.

DespoticNewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 09:43 AM
Huffer

If they all continue to develop and hit their potentials, a future line of Sutter, Cormier, and Lowry sounds pretty good.

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 09:46 AM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by DespoticNewt View Post
I'm looking forward to seeing what Sutter can do on our checking line.
Because of his late birthday, he's a guy who could turn pro as early as next season. I'm not familiar with him enough to project how far away he is from making an NHL impact though.

Kevin Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 10:07 AM
truck
HFB Partner

I wish Sutter wasn't a Sutter. I would rather the focus be on his play than his name.

Hopefully his skating and offensive game can continue to develop. I like the kid.

I am very curious to see if he will actually make the WJHC team.

truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 10:54 AM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
I wish Sutter wasn't a Sutter. I would rather the focus be on his play than his name.
I was actually very impressed with his answer to that question.

I've interviewed other prospects who come from hockey families and they usually just deny there being any pressure or expectations on them.

Sutter was much more straightforward and acknowledged that people view him differently because of the name and that he uses that as motivation.

Old
08-22-2012, 11:32 AM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post

Hopefully his skating and offensive game can continue to develop. I like the kid.

I am very curious to see if he will actually make the WJHC team.
I dearly hope he does as he can use all the oppertunity for development. Last year he was on a checking line for a good part of the year and this will be his first full year in a top6.

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 01:32 PM
Huffer

Would it be accurate to speculate that Sutters main competition to making the Junior team might be Boone Jenner?

I.E. It's likely that if either of these guys make the team it's to fill that 4th line checking / intensity role. Is there any chance that there is room for both?

Who are the other guys in the running in this mold? (don't necessarily have to be centres) Lessio, etc?

Old
08-22-2012, 02:54 PM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
Would it be accurate to speculate that Sutters main competition to making the Junior team might be Boone Jenner?

I.E. It's likely that if either of these guys make the team it's to fill that 4th line checking / intensity role. Is there any chance that there is room for both?

Who are the other guys in the running in this mold? (don't necessarily have to be centres) Lessio, etc?
From what I saw at the Canada-Russia Challenge, Jenner falls higher up in the lineup. He's a guy who is probably filling a third line role alongside someone like Philip Danault. But some of that depends on how they build their team and how the scoring lines figure out (and how guys like Hudon, MacKinnon, Di Guiseppe, Shinakruk, Roy, etc. fit in the lineup or don't).

Lessio was another guy that Spott seemed to like and so he played a higher role (energy guy on the top six).

I would say, based on the Canada-Russia Challenge, Sutter's competing with guys like Brendan Leipsic and Tom Wilson for a spot.

Old
08-22-2012, 06:11 PM
Jet

OK I am just going to come out and ask it. How long before the Sutters infiltrate the Jets org and Manitoba. You know, coaching, GM'ing, buy the Ice Caps, start farming in Morden..

Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 07:20 PM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Forbes View Post
From what I saw at the Canada-Russia Challenge, Jenner falls higher up in the lineup. He's a guy who is probably filling a third line role alongside someone like Philip Danault. But some of that depends on how they build their team and how the scoring lines figure out (and how guys like Hudon, MacKinnon, Di Guiseppe, Shinakruk, Roy, etc. fit in the lineup or don't).

Lessio was another guy that Spott seemed to like and so he played a higher role (energy guy on the top six).

I would say, based on the Canada-Russia Challenge, Sutter's competing with guys like Brendan Leipsic and Tom Wilson for a spot.
Thanks Kevin. I was thinking that as well. It might come down to which players the team has that didn't make the NHL, and if the team wants to run 3 scoring lines. I was thinking from that starting point (3 scorign lines) that Sutter might be working against the other energy / grinder types.

But if the team loses some of the top line talent, I defiantly could see the scenario that you describe with Jenner higher in the lineup and a guy like Sutter on the 4th line.

Old
08-22-2012, 09:40 PM
Guardian17
Strong & Free

I liked how Sutter played during the Canada/Russia Challenge.

He needs to continue to play aggresive, but, not take so many penalties.

Guardian17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 09:49 PM
DespoticNewt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian17 View Post
I liked how Sutter played during the Canada/Russia Challenge.

He needs to continue to play aggresive, but, not take so many penalties.
I recall him taking very few penalties in the 3 games he played in the Canada Russia Challenge. I imagine he'll smooth out a lot of the minor penalties he took last year.

Old
08-22-2012, 09:52 PM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

For reference, here's the lines I was given for the two game in Halifax:

Game 3:
Monahan-Strome-Rattie
Huberdeau-Scheifele-Lessio
Hudon-Jenner-Danault
Leipsic-Roy-Sutter
Wilson

Game 4:
Huberdeau-Strome-Lessio
Monahan-Scheifele-Rattie
DiGiuseppe-Danault-Hudon
Shinakruk-Jenner-Wilson

In Game 4, Jenner saw a lot more action than his spot in the lineup dictated, mainly filling in for Danault while he missed a period getting stitches and on the PK. I really like the PK combination of Jenner and Danault and I would be surprised if Hockey Canada didn't feel the same way.

But if it shakes down that two of Huberdeau/Scheifele/Strome are in the NHL and unavailable, maybe a guy like MacKinnon fills one of those top six roles and maybe Hudon fills the other. Not sure if there are other forwards in the mix.

I think you're looking at a third line with Danault and Jenner and someone (DiGuseppe? Lessio?). Fourth line then boils down to Wilson/Sutter/Leipsic? Of course other players might also factor in (Brendan Gaunce, Mark McNeill) which complicates matters futher.

A strong start to the season will help him, as will showing extra discipline in his game. Obviously on top of that, we're talking a strong camp in December.

If there's a lockout enough that Strome/Schiefele/Huberdeau and (perish the thought) Nugent-Hopkins are available, then all bets are off.

Last edited by Kevin Forbes: 08-22-2012 at 10:00 PM.
Old
08-22-2012, 09:55 PM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by DespoticNewt View Post
I recall him taking very few penalties in the 3 games he played in the Canada Russia Challenge. I imagine he'll smooth out a lot of the minor penalties he took last year.
I believer he either had 2 or 3 minor penalties over the three games he played.

Though Sutter wasn't specifically targeted, team discipline was one of the things brought up by coaching after both of the losses in Game #2 and Game #3. Canada's PK simply wasn't as strong as Russia's PP.

Finding that line and playing within it will be crucial for Sutter to make this squad.

Old
08-26-2012, 11:01 PM
Flames34

jets fans are lucky to have such a good looking future. I wish u all the best. Well until the next time youplay the flames...

Flames34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 12:14 AM
DespoticNewt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames34 View Post
jets fans are lucky to have such a good looking future. I wish u all the best. Well until the next time youplay the flames...
Looking forward to another 6-4 game, personally. >_>

Old
08-27-2012, 08:30 AM
Samcanadian

vCash: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Forbes View Post
Hi folks,

Just an add to this article with a little story about Winnipeg's other prospect who played at the Canada-Russia Challenge.

Although I didn't interview Mark Schiefele directly, I did get to interact with him a bit. While interviewing Hockey Canada's goaltending coach Ron Tugnutt, Schiefele came up beside me and pretended to shove a make-believe microphone in Tugnutt's face as well.

Tugnutt didn't skip a beat as I finished up my questions and then was joking with Schiefele that he was an old pro and he couldn't be fazed.

Afterwards, as Schiefele was being interviewed by a few of the other media around, Tugnutt pulled the same gag, sticking his hand in the scrum. Immediately Schiefele cracked up and Tugnutt walked away laughing.
Sounds to me like Scheifele fits quite well into any locker room!

Samcanadian is offline   Reply With Quote