HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If the Canucks were in a winter classic...

Old
08-22-2012, 12:33 PM
silvercanuck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorNelson View Post
You could do it in BC Place on artificial ice. It would be a good opportunity to justify the cost of the new roof. I think BC Place can be configured for 62,000.

Screw Battman, Canucks should just schedule a couple of games across the alley!

I propose to invite Detroit. They can trace thier history back to the Victoria Cougars, sort of. There was a league dispersal draft and a bunch of Cougars (who were playing out of New Westminister in Queen's Park!)were hired on by the new Detroit Franchise that played in Winsor, as was the custom at the time. LOL!

Actually a retro game against Detroit could be styled Millionaires versus Cougars. If it were played in Queen's Park it would have some legitimate historical merit. Kinda.
Wikipedia is a terrible source for the western hockey leagues. The Victoria Cougars originated as the New Westminster Royals. The Royals never played a game in Queens' Park. All of their home games were played in Denman Arena. The Cougars franchise was sold to Detroit interests. Ditto for Portland which became the Chicago Blackhawks. There was never any kind of draft when that league folded.

silvercanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 03:06 PM
kevinsane
Lundqvist clone.

You found Barney Gumble's ticket stubs?

kevinsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 05:23 PM
L4cer8

It will never happen, as Gillis will never agree to doing the 24/7 series.

L4cer8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 08:16 PM
Jyrki21
Trade request DENIED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg1950 View Post
I'd love to see them play on the Ottawa River.
It's not safe to skate on the Ottawa River -- do you mean the Rideau Canal? The ice is absolutely terrible (granted, it's not usually groomed for a professional event) and there'd be almost no place for spectators except on a nearby overpass or two.

Jyrki21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 11:47 PM
blfr

The Winter Classic is more of an American event, so I doubt we would see the Canucks be invited or play host. They could perhaps be involved in a Heritage Classic but I am not sure where.

The Canucks could host their own event at BC Place and call it the dome challenge or something. They could easily fill BC Place and it wouldn't be tough to manage logistically as it is right across the street from Rogers Arena. It doesn't necessarily have to be outdoors but if by some miracle they have clear skies and cold weather, they could open the roof. The ice could be managed as good as most arenas in an inclosed stadium. I think Gillis has said it was possibility.

blfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 06:10 AM
LPH
[hello] :)

vCash: 50
Those cameras could see our dysfunctional lockeroom due to goalie controversy

LPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 01:27 PM
KidCanuck*
HORS∃Y

No money in a west coast canadian team being in the winter classic. I don't think we will ever get this honor. Everything is geared for growing the game where the big money is, in the States. They have been growing this game for ages in the States and they have no respect for the game, its sad. Talk show hosts use hockey as a form of humor (all french canadians with no teeth and are not relevent).

"Oh, I didn't know we had a team"
-Jimmy Kimmel

KidCanuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 02:23 PM
kevinsane
Lundqvist clone.

I was driving home from work listening to Fox Sports radio. Andy Furman said he was "dusting off the Hockey Minute, because there's breaking news!" he then brought on Eddie Garcia, who he made fun of all through the SCF, saying "a minute, and not a second more!", who explained that there could be a lockout.
Furman replied, dead serious, "well, unless you are an LA Kings fan, or live in Montreal or Toronto, nobody will care, because they can watch the NFL."
They then talked about Tim Tebow being criticized by Boomer Esaison. For half an hour.
I pretty much ****ing despise the casual American fan and how much the NHL panders to their stupid *****.

kevinsane is offline   Reply With Quote