HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Chicago-Philadelphia

Old
08-22-2012, 11:45 AM

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyguy View Post
philly fans were calling for his head way before he was hurt, they never liked the signing in the first place, they loved boosh and the phantom call up leighton and even though he gave up a soft goal to kane it's hard to find a philly fan that hates leighton
Haha, what?! That's almost entirely nonsense.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 01:31 PM
CTU2fan

vCash: 500
I would make this trade in a cocaine heartbeat. In fact I'd happily throw in Shelley and Walker along with Leighton for Emery, that's how generous I am

Seriously, it's been said already but Emery played well as a Flyer before the hip started giving him trouble. If Ray Emery stays healthy there's no Leighton Era in Philly, and probably no Bryzgalov Era either.

CTU2fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 02:20 PM
Intense Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTU2fan View Post
I would make this trade in a cocaine heartbeat. In fact I'd happily throw in Shelley and Walker along with Leighton for Emery, that's how generous I am

Seriously, it's been said already but Emery played well as a Flyer before the hip started giving him trouble. If Ray Emery stays healthy there's no Leighton Era in Philly, and probably no Bryzgalov Era either.
While we are all being generous, we would love to throw in Olesz and Frolik, one of them was even drafted 7th overall!

Intense Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 02:40 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTU2fan View Post

and probably a Stanley Cup in 2010

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 02:41 PM
Chris Hansen
Team Tyrion

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
and probably a Stanley Cup in 2010
Lol, Ray Emery in net instead of Leighton does not make the Flyers beat that Chicago team.

Chris Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 03:17 PM
NitHeel
Mucker/Grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post
Lol, Ray Emery in net instead of Leighton does not make the Flyers beat that Chicago team.
If Jeff Carter doesn't choke in front of an open net with 2 minutes left in Game 6, the Leighton Flyers play a Game 7 in Chicago. I think the Blackhawks were a better team that year, but it's not preposterous to say that a competent goalie could have tipped the scales 1 game the other way.

NitHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 03:20 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

coldsteel.. you're the only Blackhawk fan that "hates" Emery.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 03:20 PM
Chris Hansen
Team Tyrion

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitHeel View Post
If Jeff Carter doesn't choke in front of an open net with 2 minutes left in Game 6, the Leighton Flyers play a Game 7 in Chicago. I think the Blackhawks were a better team that year, but it's not preposterous to say that a competent goalie could have tipped the scales 1 game the other way.
Carter really didn't choke. Niemi fell forward to make the save - it was actually an incredibly savvy and intelligent play by him.

Besides, when you're adding "if's" to your "if's," I think you have to admit that you're grasping at straws.

Chris Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 03:23 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Carter did everything right on the play you're referring to. Niemi just lunged out and made a great save. That's like a Chicago fan saying "If Chicago didn't choke away a 1-goal lead in the third, there would have been no OT". When, in fact, a lucky bounce off two or three skaters from a Leino feed ended up right on Hartnell's stick - I don't even remember if Hartnell shot it or not, but I know Leino's pass went off Seabrook, then Hossa, then right to Hartnell.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 03:23 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Despite the total needlessness and randomness of this trade, I do think Philly and Chicago make good partners.

Philly is in desperate need of defenders. Chicago has one of Hammer, Montador or Olsen on the block.

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 03:35 PM
NitHeel
Mucker/Grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post
Carter really didn't choke. Niemi fell forward to make the save - it was actually an incredibly savvy and intelligent play by him.

Besides, when you're adding "if's" to your "if's," I think you have to admit that you're grasping at straws.
Niemi did well to cover as much of the net as he could - no doubt - but Carter threw the puck right to the center of the net when he had boatloads of room to the left.

And as for the bolded part, no, I admitted that Chicago was the better team but noted that the series was certainly close enough that a clear upgrade in goalie could have swung it. Not would have, but could have....which of course means exactly nothing today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
Carter did everything right on the play you're referring to. Niemi just lunged out and made a great save. That's like a Chicago fan saying "If Chicago didn't choke away a 1-goal lead in the third, there would have been no OT". When, in fact, a lucky bounce off two or three skaters from a Leino feed ended up right on Hartnell's stick - I don't even remember if Hartnell shot it or not, but I know Leino's pass went off Seabrook, then Hossa, then right to Hartnell.
See above. Throwing a shot right into the center of the goalie's chest when you have tons of room to the left is not doing "everything right".

And apparently I need to repeat myself but, once again, I'm not debating whether Chicago was the better team or deserved to win the Cup...they were and they did. There's nothing conditional about it. I'm just pointing out that an upgrade to a competent goalie certainly might have made some sort of difference in the series.

Old
08-22-2012, 03:35 PM
Sasso09

Utterly pointless.

Sasso09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 03:36 PM
NitHeel
Mucker/Grinder

I was going to link to that non-goal but that means I'd have to watch it again. The one time I just did it now was enough. If you want to watch it again, youtube away - I'd rather drink a gallon of paint thinner.

Old
08-22-2012, 03:39 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
Despite the total needlessness and randomness of this trade, I do think Philly and Chicago make good partners.

Philly is in desperate need of defenders. Chicago has one of Hammer, Montador or Olsen on the block.
Would love the hammer on the flyers. But I bet the asking price is a little high.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 04:46 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 steps View Post
Can we work out a trade where both goalies are vaporized, like some form of subatomic collision?
add Seabrook and we'll make it happen.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 05:04 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
I was going to link to that non-goal but that means I'd have to watch it again. The one time I just did it now was enough. If you want to watch it again, youtube away - I'd rather drink a gallon of paint thinner.
Ya, well I'm sure if Chicago had a upgrade in goal, it would of never got to game 6.

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 05:16 PM
MTP
I Love Shinpads

Send a message via AIM to MTP
Trash for trash. Doesn't make any sense other than the fact that coldsteel has an irrational hatred for Ray Emery.

Oh, and the only reason anyone in Chicago loves Michael Leighton is because of the cup winner in '10.

MTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 05:51 PM
RedBaronIndian
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
coldsteel.. you're the only Blackhawk fan that "hates" Emery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTP View Post
Trash for trash. Doesn't make any sense other than the fact that coldsteel has an irrational hatred for Ray Emery.

Oh, and the only reason anyone in Chicago loves Michael Leighton is because of the cup winner in '10.
Agreed

RedBaronIndian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 06:39 PM
Judrix
Kruger is our 2C

why does Chicago love Leighton?

Judrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 08:42 PM
Flyerfan808

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyguy View Post
philly fans were calling for his head way before he was hurt, they never liked the signing in the first place, they loved boosh and the phantom call up leighton and even though he gave up a soft goal to kane it's hard to find a philly fan that hates leighton
Michael Leighton's middle name in Philadephia is the letter 'F.' Want to guess what it stands for?

I'd aslo like to add that you're clearly uneducated on the topic. Come read the Flyers board and find that there are paragraphs upon paragraphs illustrating people's distain for MFL. It is such a volitile topic that when his name is mentioned in a thread, even to this day, it takes a few pages for the conversation to get back on track.

In summary, I don't know who told you that he is "well liked" in Philadelphia, but they're in the minority.

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 08:43 PM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judrix View Post
why does Chicago love Leighton?
I'm sure Kane does.

nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 09:46 PM
Flyerfan52

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
maybe you should take a trip over to the Flyers board. I for one never liked Leighton and for the record before Emery's injury he played very well and most Flyers fans recognize that.

To say anyone was chased out for Leighton is laughable.

As most Flyers fans said I would gladly make this trade but it seems Hawks fans wouldn't.
Exactly. Emery was well liked & only the injury took him out of the net. It was his injury that led to the Flyers picking up Leighton as a waiver claim.

@ the time Emery was signed as a UFA there were fears because of his Ottawa reputation but those were quickly put to rest.

Flyerfan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 10:27 PM
Finnish Your Czechs

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intense Rage View Post
I don't think anyone loves Emery.
Everybody loves Raymond

Finnish Your Czechs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 05:32 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Would love the hammer on the flyers. But I bet the asking price is a little high.
what do you think is the asking price. Getting your late 1st would be enough for me to say yes

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 10:24 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
I would rather play with empty net then either ,, But if I had to choose I would go with Emery

Though Leighton will always be a fan fav here in Chicago for his 2010 contributions to our cup win

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote