HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

Goalie situation in a year...

Old
08-22-2012, 11:05 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

vCash: 500
Goalie situation in a year...

I have a feeling that the Hawks will add a goalie next offseason knowing how the new CBA is structured and all is written on paper.

I think that there may be 1 or 2 goalies that will be a UFAs that know about our situation and could think about not re-signing with their current teams.
They could do this because they have hopes to play for a contender that has money to spend and a need in goal (I think about a guy like Lehtonen or Smith if he can repeat his season)

or... if Crawford is plays good this year we just go with him

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 11:08 AM
TorMenT
Go Blackhawks!

I hope you're right, because we could sure use a true #1 goalie, whether it's a free agent or Crawford after a rebound. I think goalie is what needs to be fixed most.

TorMenT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 11:08 AM
MagicSlap*

You're dreaming if you think a guy like Lehtonen or Smith (especially with a repet performance) reaches FA.

Bernier should be the Hawks #1 target and should have already been acquired this summer.

Outside of that there are really only going to be MAYBE some aging vets past their prime on the market.

Best plan is get a very good prospect to be the #1B to Crawford this year. If Crawford rebounds, great, if not, thenthe prospect gets a shot.

MagicSlap* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 11:49 AM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
Lehtonen, I actually could see testing UFA. Will take a BIG contract to get him though. 6M+ a year, at least 5 years.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 12:02 PM
Hawkaholic

Don't mind Lehtonen, or Smith at all.

Would also be OK with a short term contract for Tim Thomas, Backstrom, or trade for Kipper. Maybe Howard pulls a Hossa and signs with the Hawks?

Tons of more options next year, than the previous 2 off seasons.

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 12:22 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Well, it'll all depend on what Crawford does. If he bounces back, we're sticking with him. If he has another subpar year, then we're going to be hunting for a new netminder, be it through raising up one of our guys in our system, scouring free agency, or the draft. Not sure if going through free agency and potentially overpaying for a goalie is the smartest of ideas, though.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 05:09 PM
DL44

vCash: 133
Well... as of right now the list is very intriguing.
It always is a yr out... we'll see who re-signs. The Blackhawks' goalie situation (and a handful of others) may be the carrot that inspires a couple of them to hit the market..

Backstrom, Niklas
Thomas, Tim G
Khabibulin, Nikolai
Lehtonen, Kari G
Nabokov, Evgeni
Howard, Jimmy G
Smith, Mike G
Khudobin, Anton G

I'm thinking Backstrom, Thomas, Khabibulin, Nabokov to definitely hit the market.

Sort of expecting Howard, Smith and Lehtonen to re-sign. The latter 2 resurrected their careers in their present cities... don't often see those players bail so soon. Also considering that them leaving leaves a huge void on their teams' rosters, so re-signing them will/should be priorities.

Khudobin... i just left him on the list as a potential goalie that could break thru this yr and earn a chance elsewhere... ala Lindback. Unlikely overall tho.

DL44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 08:57 PM
Crazy_Ike
Cookin' with fire.

It will be exactly the same as this season after another wasted year of bad goaltending keeping the Hawks down.

Same excuses too.

Crazy_Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 02:22 AM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

I LOVE the people who argue both sides of same argument, the same people freaking about the Hawks possibly signing Brodeur or Doan because of their age, want Thomas, Kipper, Backstrom a year from now?

REALLY!

I would rather the Hawks go and get Bernier now because he could be a sure fire get via trade instead of waiting and hoping that a few of those big names FA get to FA and that the Hawks can get them.

Realistically the only #1 G who isn't past his prime that gets to FA is Kari, if he does get to FA he will be the prize G FA who will draw lots of teams and a huge contract. If the Hawks miss on him or one of the other FA, like they did this year, then the situation gets even worse.

Sir Psycho T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 02:29 AM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Decent goalies are available every summer. If Crawford craps the bed this year, we'll bring in somebody next summer if not sooner.

It just doesn't make sense to look at next year this year. Who knows which allegedly solid goalie will falter and some unknown NCAA/Euro free agent will step in and take a team deep into the playoffs.

There just aren't enough starting spots for the abundance of decent-solid goaltenders. If we want somebody high-end, that's another story. I seriously doubt Stan is going to plunk down big money for an outside goalie though. It doesn't seem his MO.

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 05:22 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicSlap View Post
You're dreaming if you think a guy like Lehtonen or Smith (especially with a repet performance) reaches FA.

Bernier should be the Hawks #1 target and should have already been acquired this summer.

Outside of that there are really only going to be MAYBE some aging vets past their prime on the market.

Best plan is get a very good prospect to be the #1B to Crawford this year. If Crawford rebounds, great, if not, thenthe prospect gets a shot.
Bernier is not better than what we have as starter. Lehtonen would be. Smith would be. If not, trade for Kipper. I'd take him now but he isn't available.

I have a feeling that Lehtonen will test the market. He will price himself out of Dallas while they still have Jack Campbell and Bachman. We wants term, Dallas won't give him that.
He knows that he can get money and term playing for better teams. I'm sure he will not extend before april or may knowing if DAL is good enough to make the POs or not.
If not and they are out of the PO running, I think he will test to market or get traded. A swap with Crawford + better prospect would make sense. Something I think JN might agree to knowing he can't keep Lehtonen and get something back.

Old
08-23-2012, 06:14 AM
MagicSlap*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
Bernier is not better than what we have as starter. Lehtonen would be. Smith would be. If not, trade for Kipper. I'd take him now but he isn't available.

I have a feeling that Lehtonen will test the market. He will price himself out of Dallas while they still have Jack Campbell and Bachman. We wants term, Dallas won't give him that.
He knows that he can get money and term playing for better teams. I'm sure he will not extend before april or may knowing if DAL is good enough to make the POs or not.
If not and they are out of the PO running, I think he will test to market or get traded. A swap with Crawford + better prospect would make sense. Something I think JN might agree to knowing he can't keep Lehtonen and get something back.
Well Bernier had better stats last year than Corey did for a start. Bernier is simply put one of the best goalie prospects in the league, even if he didn't post better numbers than Corey last year, he would still be worth a shot because of his potential. I'm not in the crowd that thinks Crawford will blow next year but you have to have insurance if he does, Emery is not that, Bernier would be. For someone who loves our prospects so much you seem to have everyone elses.

If Lehtonen prices himself out of Dallas then he will be asking for HUGE money and I wouldn't want to pay him it. He will command Bryz-esque money if he leaves Dallas and the Hawks would be downright foolish to pay him. Also, I love how people always claim that Dallas won't trade with the West but now they are willing to for a serious downgrade in net. Funny how this board operates sometimes.

Old
08-23-2012, 02:02 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

read again what I wrote...

When it's clear that they have no chance to bring him back and when they are out of the PO running. That would be the difference between now and in march.

Bernier is not better than Crawford and when he was in net for the Kings, he wasn't anything special. For a guy that highly touted, you would think that he could put up good numbers behind that D. Good young guys keep up a bit with the starter like Rask or Schneider or Holtby. Bernier wasn't able to do this.
Paying that high price for this big questionmark just isn't worth it. If Craw blows, we will have a chance to trade for a proven goalie during the season

Old
08-23-2012, 02:11 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Psycho T View Post
I LOVE the people who argue both sides of same argument, the same people freaking about the Hawks possibly signing Brodeur or Doan because of their age, want Thomas, Kipper, Backstrom a year from now?

REALLY!

I think I was the only one who mentioned Thomas, Kipper and Backstrom. ANd I also never said anything bad about the Hawks wanting to sign Brodeur or Doan. (Doan I don't want to see on a 7mil/4yr contract though)

Old
08-23-2012, 02:13 PM
Sevanston

No to Thomas, and I have my doubts about Backstrom, but Kipper would be a huge YES from me.

Also have no issues with Brodeur or Doan short-term, but not on four year contracts. That's too long.

Sevanston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 02:15 PM
Hawkaholic

Thomas was one of the best goalies last year, he would still be better than Crawford next year even with missing 1 full year.

Old
08-23-2012, 02:21 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

I would like a Crawford Thomas tandem... That Vet UFA would have to replace Emery.

I would have hoped that we get Kipper this year - but knew it was a pipedream

Old
08-23-2012, 02:23 PM
Sevanston

For the past few seasons, the Hawks seem to have done worse when goalies play further out from their net, which is a significant part of Thomas' style.

We've had bad goalies doing it, which doesn't help matters, but with the way we play defense, I don't think it would get any easier with Thomas.

Sevanston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 02:27 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

1 year and cheap... I wouldn't have a problem.

A guy I would eye is Theodore if the Panthers add Luongo. Always liked him and I think he would make a good tandem with Craw + he would be available and wouldn't cost that much

Old
08-23-2012, 02:38 PM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
Agreed, but we should have done it two years ago. After this year, what will he have left?

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 04:02 PM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Quote:

When it's clear that they have no chance to bring him back and when they are out of the PO running. That would be the difference between now and in march.

Bernier is not better than Crawford and when he was in net for the Kings, he wasn't anything special. For a guy that highly touted, you would think that he could put up good numbers behind that D. Good young guys keep up a bit with the starter like Rask or Schneider or Holtby. Bernier wasn't able to do this.
Paying that high price for this big questionmark just isn't worth it. If Craw blows, we will have a chance to trade for a proven goalie during the season
The year the Bruins won the Cup Rask had almost the exact same difference between his numbers and Thomas as Bernier did to Quick this year. So Bernier didn't put up amazing numbers like his Vezina finalist, Conn Smythe winning partner, OMG what a horrible goalie that he could put up identical numbers. Ever think part, not all, but part of what makes the Kings D so great is Quick? There is a reason he was one of the best goalie prospects in the NHL for several years, people much smarter then us in this field all thought so, I am inclined to agree with them more then anyone on this board.

Trade for a proven starter during the season, so we are trading Kane after all, because unless a core player is part of the deal no team is trading a proven starter for scraps.

Old
08-23-2012, 04:07 PM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

As for Thomas, no, I don't want a 40 year old problem child coming off a year of not playing hockey at all.

Old
08-23-2012, 05:39 PM
MagicSlap*

Quote:

No I saw it the first time and it just contradicts everything you've ever said about Dallas regardless of if they knew they weren't bringing him back. To think we could get him for scraps just shows how delusional you are.

Bernier was statistically better than Crawford last year. Despite numbers though, I actually watched a lot of Kings games and read a lot of the Kings board, after a slow start Bernier was fantastic. Just go back and look at his game log stats if you want to and see how good he is after the first few weeks of the year when he gets settled in.

Paying a high price is worth it when you have a surplus of forward prospects (see how many are in our top 10 prospects) when you have so few G prospects, especially when none of them are ready and Bernier is still a better prospect than any of them.

ALso, definite NO to that clown Thomas, he would get badly exposed here.

Old
08-24-2012, 12:46 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

when did I say we could get Lehtonen for scraps?

why should the Kings give up a roster player for prospects with Quick being out for a few weeks now for sure?

Bernier hasn't shown much in the NHL to pay a high price. After all, he is still a SMALL guy who is a backup with potential.