HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[EDM] Taylor Hall signs seven year extension, $6m per

Closed Thread

Old
08-22-2012, 03:46 PM
tempest2i
Feral

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
In 7 years?
touché

Old
08-22-2012, 03:50 PM
TSA0402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post
Thing is though, he has played well enough to warrant it. He's been on pace for a 70+ point season last year.

Again, injuries are a concern. Hopefully he doesn't take another skate to the head or fights and lands awkwardly.
1) He's on his RFA years, I can't think of many 6 million 28-30 goal scoring wingers that young, even in UFA deals. I understand that alot of the cap raising was going to his UFA years, but a player his age isn't really a six million dollar player.

2) He hasn't scored 70 points yet. He definetly has the tools, but he hasn't stayed healthy enough to do that. All due respect, even though they are paying a premium for potential, they are also playing for a player to stay healthy, that has yet to do that in the NHL.

My issue is with many using this contract as "low risk". Has the potential to be very good, or overpaid and an injury concern.

Old
08-22-2012, 03:52 PM
BrawlFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespa99 View Post
[QUOTE=BrawlFan;53779895]w.e. man my point is its an overpayment for Hall. I'd have given him a 3 year deal and then re-sign him if he delivers. The guy has done nothing but lead the team into 2 first overall picks. Can he deliver in the post-season? Unknown. Can he produce when the pressure is on in the regular season? Unknown. Can he stay healthy all year? Unknown.

So he's not getting paid for his current stats because a 53 pt player is not worth 6 million. He is getting paid for potential. Fair enough; but if you can sign him for 4 million for the next 3 years and IF he becomes what you feel he can be then ante up the 6 million. Whats wrong with that?

What you would have given him means nothing. It is what he would accept that matters. Anyone else that wants to post what they would have done think before you post. You can give anything you want but only if the player is willing to accept.
I will take his back to back Memorial cup MVP awards as a hint he will produce in the post season when we get there.
What is wrong with that is if he becomes what we feel he wont accept 6mil. Because the market will be much higher for him at that point.[/QUOTE]

Why wouldnt he accept? He is a RESTRICTED FREE AGENT. His options are pretty limited if you ask me.

I wouldnt take his memorial cup points as evidence for anything in the NHL. Buuuuuuut w.e.

Old
08-22-2012, 03:52 PM
Stephen Goalbert
Formerly CMP

Jeff Skinner ruined the second contract!

Old
08-22-2012, 03:53 PM
Saving Greiss
#Bortuzzoed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmyheadhurts View Post
I've said it many times before, I'm not a huge Hall fan (which is a subject for a different thread - very jealous of RNH and Eberle though) but I'm not sure I understand all those saying this is a bad contract. Both sides should be pretty happy. Let's not pretend that the 6m per is purely Hall's reward for his play in his first 2 seasons. You can probably make a convincing argument that it's an overpayment if you really want, but the value the organisation gets from this signing off ice makes it a great move. It sends a pretty clear signal to the other young Oiler stars, to the fans and to potential UFA's that the Oilers will try to court in the next few off seasons.

So, there is a small chance that Hall may not live up to this contract, but the benefits the Oil get from taking this "risk" make it worth every penny.

Again, I'm not even a huge Hall fan but you have to be pretty close minded to not see that this deal makes a ton of sense all around.
It's almost the norm. He's a key player for an organization that has a bright future. Not locking him up would be idiotic.

Old
08-22-2012, 03:53 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 355
Quote:
Dont get me started Flames Fan (Actually I was pretty sure someone would jump in with that.)
Don't worry I am pretty sure the Flames will see you there in 7 years too

Old
08-22-2012, 03:54 PM
Ogopogo*

Great signing! Now let's get Eberle locked down as well.

For those that whine about the money - it is no problem. The Oil has the room.

Back in the late 80s/early 90s, Brian Burke signed Stan Smyl to a contract for something crazy like 250k/season. Smyl was past his prime - mid 30s - and Burke said "We are not paying him for what he will do, we are paying him for what he did before". Now that is a dubious signing. I'll take hall 7 days a week over a 35 year old Stan Smyl.

Old
08-22-2012, 03:56 PM
Jamin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutdown Sutter View Post
Jeff Skinner ruined the second contract!
Potentially did lol. The video on the oilers homepage is Hall saying once Skinner signed they used his contract as the jumping off point, even have the same agents.

Damn you Carolina

Old
Toydarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
sure it does. So far, Hall has proved that he can be a 50-60 point guy that misses 20 games a year. I personally think he will get healthy and be a PPG player. BUT...I also have had Hemsky in a keeper pool and he has killed me!!! Great PPG but never healthy. I hope things are different for Hall.
But the original statement said "Fact," the term fact does not refer to events that have yet to happen

Old
rick3652

Quote:
[QUOTE=BrawlFan;53779895]w.e. man my point is its an overpayment for Hall. I'd have given him a 3 year deal and then re-sign him if he delivers. The guy has done nothing but lead the team into 2 first overall picks. Can he deliver in the post-season? Unknown. Can he produce when the pressure is on in the regular season? Unknown. Can he stay healthy all year? Unknown.

So he's not getting paid for his current stats because a 53 pt player is not worth 6 million. He is getting paid for potential. Fair enough; but if you can sign him for 4 million for the next 3 years and IF he becomes what you feel he can be then ante up the 6 million. Whats wrong with that?

What you would have given him means nothing. It is what he would accept that matters. Anyone else that wants to post what they would have done think before you post. You can give anything you want but only if the player is willing to accept.
I will take his back to back Memorial cup MVP awards as a hint he will produce in the post season when we get there.
What is wrong with that is if he becomes what we feel he wont accept 6mil. Because the market will be much higher for him at that point.[/QUOTE]

He is not worth the 6 million dollars as people have said. All teams do not have to pay him till he becomes a Free Agent he has no leverage even if he was getting 110 points a season the team does not have to pay him what he asked for but they should pay him what he is worth and what he has EARNED which is not that much.

Old
08-22-2012, 03:57 PM

$6m a year seems high for now, but then you're buying potential there. The only thing i'd say is that $6m is only going to be a steal if he's Crosby/Malkin/Stamkos/Giroux good, and I can't really see him getting to that point.

Old
08-22-2012, 03:57 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

sorry but that's overpayment and highly paying on his potential. I don't understand this contract at all

Old
08-22-2012, 03:58 PM
Ek het lief Woef
Denver Broncos

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine17 View Post
People are allowed to have different opinions.
Comments such as "anything over $4M is an overpayment", "extreme overpayment by an incompetent GM", "Hall has done nothing to deserve this contract", "lolz the Oilers will always be a last place team overpaying players like Hall" etc. is bordering on ridiculousness with the sole purpose of trying to incite a reaction.

If an opinion is not grounded or based in reality, don't blame people for calling attention to them.

Old
08-22-2012, 03:59 PM
missinthejets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vajakki View Post
For Eberle or RNH I wouldn't mind this kind of money, but I don't see Hall's potential quite at that level.

which is absolutely ridiculous because Hall is more of a difference maker in terms of the oilers winning and losing than those two are. He's a different player and it's quite likely that RNH will top Hall in points consistently but Hall is the leader of the bunch and he brings more to the table than just points and there is no way the other two are worth more than he is at this point. Only concern with Hall is whether he's going to stay healthy, but if he does he's every bit as valuable and quite likely more than anyone else on the oilers.

Don't judge Taylor Hall solely by the numbers he puts up compared to his team mates, watch the team with him and without him and you'll notice a huge difference in the way they play.

Old
08-22-2012, 03:59 PM
Foot

Hall will prove his worth next season. Book it.

Old
08-22-2012, 04:02 PM
vespa99

[QUOTE=BrawlFan;53780557][/B]

Why wouldnt he accept? He is a RESTRICTED FREE AGENT. His options are pretty limited if you ask me.

I wouldnt take his memorial cup points as evidence for anything in the NHL. Buuuuuuut w.e.[/QUOTE]

As were Skinner, Doughty etc etc. But strangely they got big second contracts also. The leverage all good players have is this. "If you dont keep me happy I will leave the second I am a ufa". It is the unspoken hammer the player always has.
I didnt comment on his points. It was the fact he was the best player in the tourney 2 years in a row. He was dominant when it counted. I think any intelligent person can see how that would count for something.

Old
08-22-2012, 04:04 PM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 867
I thought the Pacioretty signing set a great precedent for the Kane negotiations and now the Oilers have gone and ****ed it all up

Old
08-22-2012, 04:04 PM
neksys

So, does Eberle get the same deal? Hall is the better player now and in the future, but not by much. I think Hall and Eberle are the two key youngsters on that team.

That said, if the Oilers don't pay Eberle 6m x 7y, some other team will if he gets anywhere near UFA.

Old
08-22-2012, 04:06 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

I don't know why this thread turned into a freakin' grammar discussion, but it stops now or you'll be gone.

Old
08-22-2012, 04:07 PM
McNasty

It makes sense for the Oilers, Hall's injuries have to be a concern however with his talent if he stays healthy for a contract year there's a good chance he bumps that price way up. I imagine there will be a year or two of that deal where injuries derail it for him, but ultimately it's a good deal for both sides.

Old
08-22-2012, 04:07 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by neksys View Post
So, does Eberle get the same deal? Hall is the better player now and in the future, but not by much. I think Hall and Eberle are the two key youngsters on that team.

That said, if the Oilers don't pay Eberle 6m x 7y, some other team will if he gets anywhere near UFA.
I'm pretty sure he will get an identical deal.

Old
08-22-2012, 04:08 PM
SephF
Visually Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by vBurmi View Post
I thought the Pacioretty signing set a great precedent for the Kane negotiations and now the Oilers have gone and ****ed it all up
Talk to Rutherford with the Skinner deal bud

Old
08-22-2012, 04:09 PM
BillDineen

Very Pricey.

Old
08-22-2012, 04:11 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWoof View Post
Comments such as "anything over $4M is an overpayment", "extreme overpayment by an incompetent GM", "Hall has done nothing to deserve this contract", "lolz the Oilers will always be a last place team overpaying players like Hall" etc. is bordering on ridiculousness with the sole purpose of trying to incite a reaction.

If an opinion is not grounded or based in reality, don't blame people for calling attention to them.
I believe that can be said. He hasn't really done anything to deserve that big of a deal, seems more like a paying him for potential & what he could be doing if he wasn't injured.

How do you judge if an opinion is grounded or not?

Old
08-22-2012, 04:12 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Holy wow. That is a pricey deal. I dunno how they keep these forwards in the future.

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller
Closed Thread