HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[EDM] Taylor Hall signs seven year extension, $6m per

Closed Thread

Old
08-22-2012, 03:13 PM
Oillio*
OMB god

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
Holy wow. That is a pricey deal. I dunno how they keep these forwards in the future.
im guessing you didnt read any of the previous posts.

Old
08-22-2012, 03:15 PM
nally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
I don't understand what was the rush with this contract extension. They could've just waited to see how he does next season, if he does well you glady pay him what he got now, if he doesn't (and if he has more injuries) you get a little bit of leverage that helps you lower his cap hit.

IMHO he doesn't deserve this contract based on his track record.
Because its widely believed that the new CBA will limit contracts to 5 years

Old
08-22-2012, 03:17 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine17 View Post
I believe that can be said. He hasn't really done anything to deserve that big of a deal, seems more like a paying him for potential & what he could be doing if he wasn't injured.

How do you judge if an opinion is grounded or not?
If it agrees with your own opinion it's grounded in reality

I agree, though. While all contracts are paying for potential, when a player like Hall is being extended you are going to put more weight on the room you think he has to grow. Not to mention they wanted to eat as many UFA years as they could. Of course they paid more than they probably should have, but it isn't a crazy overpayment by any means. It isn't going to cripple the team. They got a pretty good deal themselves when you look at the length.

But there exists a "win or lose" mindset. One side has to win, and one side has to lose. That idea surfaces with every signing and every trade even though it limits the outcomes entirely too much.

Old
08-22-2012, 03:20 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Hallsy is clutch too. Had the most game winners out of our whole team, almost doubling the players in 2nd place.

Not a lot of players can just zoom by defenders and get their own rebound for an overtime winner.

But to those that already have their opinions, its ok. All Oiler fans are happy with this signing and thats really all that matters.

Quote:
Holy wow. That is a pricey deal. I dunno how they keep these forwards in the future.
We can't. This has never been discussed before and this signing has really put us into cap hell.

Old
08-22-2012, 03:23 PM
Ol' Jase
PLAYOFFS??

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerbear View Post
Yes forgive me!

Using wins, losses, OT losses, Goals against, Saves for the last half of the season have no real bearing on the current ability of a player.

What they did 5 years ago is much more important.

I mean really what else defines the current abilty of a player.

Your feelings! OK stuart! Gosh Darn! People probaly care what you think.

We had a (insert your word) claim we had no goalie like lundquist.
The guy was too lazy to see dubnyk was equal to lundquist last half of the season while playing on a team everyone claims to be real bad and the other played on a conf finalist.

Do I believe he will maintain that.
Dubnyk's save % with out 3 of Gilbert, Barker, tuebert, Inj whitney sure says so.
We will not have any playing untill the 10th or 11th depth option in our org.
That fact you resort to insulting people who don't agree with your assertion that Dubnyk is a better goalie than Lundqvist is an absolute embarrassment.

Old
08-22-2012, 03:29 PM
worraps
Acceptance

vCash: 50
Quote:
Anze Kopitar: $6.8 million
Mike Richards: $5.75 million
Jeff Carter: $5.27 million
Justin Williams: $3.65 million

Total: $21.47 going to increase significantly in 2014 (Dustin Brown will get a raise)

Taylor Hall: $6 million
Jordan Eberle: $6 million?
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins: $6 million - $7 million?
Nail Yakupov: $6 million - $7 million?

Total: $24-$26 million? probably won't increase until 2020

So the simple answer to your question is that the Oilers will be able to keep their forwards in the future by not spending $7 million a year on a d-man and $5.8 million a year on a goaltender until the salary cap increases to such an extent to allow for it.

Old
08-22-2012, 03:29 PM
stish

i just hope the Oilers haven't ruined these kids by playing them at such a young age. They seem to get banged up pretty easily, understandable since they are just boys.

Old
08-22-2012, 03:30 PM
JohnHodgson

Does this buy any UFA years?

Old
08-22-2012, 03:30 PM
Drouin2Stamkos

Maybe Im in the minority here but that looks like a great deal for a #1 overall pick. Kid has lots of potential and at 6 mil if he reaches that is a giant steal. Nice work by Edmonton.

Old
08-22-2012, 03:31 PM
Spitsfan67*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1865 View Post
$6m a year seems high for now, but then you're buying potential there. The only thing i'd say is that $6m is only going to be a steal if he's Crosby/Malkin/Stamkos/Giroux good, and I can't really see him getting to that point.
You'll be surprised bud and Before this season Giroux's name wouldn't have been mentioned....DO NOT Underate Hallsy's potential.you never no with this kid ..he's a guy who wants to be the best player every shift of every game..he DEFINETLY has the skill set to be a potential star.

Old
08-22-2012, 03:31 PM
WantEggRoll

vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post

Total: $21.47 going to increase significantly in 2014 (Dustin Brown will get a raise)

So the simple answer to your question is that the Oilers will be able to keep their forwards in the future by not spending $7 million a year on a d-man and $5.8 million a year on a goaltender until the salary cap increases to such an extent to allow for it.
This relies on the fact that the salary floor continues to rise. If the owners are successful in lowering HRR then the cap could take a significant dive could it not?

Old
08-22-2012, 03:32 PM
denkiteki

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHodgson View Post
Does this buy any UFA years?
Maybe

Under current CBA - yes
Under proposed CBA by the NHL - no

Old
08-22-2012, 03:33 PM
Sergei Berezin

Taylor-Gang fuh lifffffffffe.

Old
08-22-2012, 03:33 PM
Hab-a-maniac

Could be a fair deal if he continues to progress but not all #1 picks do. We shall see but it's a bit of a risk. I would've waited if I were the Oilers though, see how the CBA breaks down and maybe give him half a season unless Tambellini has a policy on no negotiations during the year. If that's the case, wouldn't want to wait till he hits RFA status and risk an offer sheet making him super costly. That said somewhere down the line an Oiler will have to be traded to avoid carrying a super boatload of kids making over 6 million. Mind you, as it stands only Eberle, Hall, Nugent-Hopkins and Yakupov could be earning that coin but where does it leave room for a goalie or star d-man? Unless one of those 4 doesn't pan out or gets moved, the Oilers would be paying big deals like a championship team before even getting close to one.

Old
08-22-2012, 03:35 PM
Sasso09

As of now, huge overpayment, I expect hall to earn the contract though.. Huge risk/reward for Oilers. I hope he does well.

Old
08-22-2012, 03:37 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantEggRoll View Post
This relies on the fact that the salary floor continues to rise. If the owners are successful in lowering HRR then the cap could take a significant dive could it not?
All player salaries will roll back in that case though, RNH/Yakupov would probably be capped at 5-6 mill per in that case.

Teams that have signed multiple $7 million+ contracts before the new CBA would feel the pinch though.

Old
08-22-2012, 03:38 PM
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantEggRoll View Post
Even if the owners get the players share of HRR down to 50% the likely growth in HRR will mean a rising floor over an 8 year period.

Old
08-22-2012, 03:40 PM
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:
Originally Posted by stish View Post
i just hope the Oilers haven't ruined these kids by playing them at such a young age. They seem to get banged up pretty easily, understandable since they are just boys.
How many first overall picks can you think of that haven't played in the NHL the year after they were drafted?

Old
08-22-2012, 03:40 PM
Buckets and Gloves
10 AVE FREEZE OUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post

difference... LA crew has won a cup and 3 of thosr players are center.... at this rate Oil will have 24mill in 4 players... 3 of which are wingers... bad cap distribution.... someone will hace to go if oilers ever want defense/playoffs

Old
08-22-2012, 03:42 PM
roach9

Huge overpayment.

I'm not sold on Hall at all and his injury history isn't looking good.

bad deal.

Old
08-22-2012, 03:42 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Howie View Post
difference... LA crew has won a cup and 3 of thosr players are center.... at this rate Oil will have 24mill in 4 players... 3 of which are wingers... bad cap distribution.... someone will hace to go if oilers ever want defense/playoffs
NYR:

Gaborik
Nash
Callahan
Richards

Their cap hits round out to 6.58. 3 winger and a center.

Old
08-22-2012, 03:44 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
NYR:

Gaborik
Nash
Callahan
Richards

Their cap hits round out to 6.58. 3 winger and a center.
Obviously New York will miss the playoffs

Old
08-22-2012, 03:45 PM
Krut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreator View Post
We can't. This has never been discussed before and this signing has really put us into cap hell.
Yes, it's been discussed at length, and no, the Oilers are not in "cap hell" even if Eberle, Nuge, and Yakupov get similar deals.

Do yourself a favour and go to cap geek, then look at all the teams with multiple massive contracts that manage to survive. Once you look at facts instead of listening to all the conspiracy theorists, you will see the Oilers are fine, and will be fine in regards to the cap.

Old
08-22-2012, 03:45 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
Obviously New York will miss the playoffs
lol.

They can also afford to give Doan 5m and re-sign their key RFA's. As long as owner is committed, their is no cap hell in Edmonton. Even if there is, it probably means they're a contending team.

Old
08-22-2012, 03:46 PM
Ser Woof
Too proud to beg

vCash: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by stish View Post
Eberle was slowly developed and Hall/RNH were highly touted first round picks.

Neither Hall or RNH would have benefited from going back to the OHL/WHL for another year after being drafted so I don't understand how they could possibly be "ruined" by playing at such a young age.

Closed Thread