HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[EDM] Taylor Hall signs seven year extension, $6m per

Closed Thread

Old
08-22-2012, 07:03 PM
Spitsfan67*

vCash: 500
This is pretty hilarious were 30 pages in and were still just going around in circles.....Hall is a good player so are tavares,seguin,Skinner,eberle,RNH,etc....point is there all going to be stars in this league.....Who really cares what other fans think as long as Oiler fans are Happy and I know they are because Hallsy is a great player and is very exiting.

Old
08-22-2012, 07:03 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsands View Post
Well, Hall's first couple of seasons are equal to, if not superior to, John Tavares'. At least give Hall another season to see how he stacks up. Regardless, JT was supposed to be a generational player. Hall is equal to the #2 pick in his draft year.

Hall's real calling card is the playoffs - we won't be able to judge him there until the Oilers improve and make the second season. Hall will be a perennial 35 goal scorer, akin to Kessel, except he has leadership and really turns it up in the playoffs. Don't expect more, I am happy with that - A Nash with heart.
Just when I was trying to bow out, you pull me back in. I think you need to rein in the superior talk a bit. If you read my earlier post, I explained my position. It's unfair to compare the two as you're using projections to make up the difference in games played for the two. Tavares is a year ahead and had a stellar 3rd season. He wins the proven vs. potential debate hands down right now. I'd be more than happy to approach this again next year, but we'll just have to wait until then. It's not as if anything I write is going to change your mind, just as you aren't going to change mine. We can go at it all day, but I'm sure we both have better things to do.

Since the Oilers and the Islanders haven't made the playoffs in some time, it's impossible to gauge that either. I look forward to the day when our teams can go at it like the early 80's redux. I'm sure it'll be quite a spirited debate. Until then, I don't think either of us have the right to say anything because the current big boys snub their noses at us. It's one thing to be excited for the future, but we're currently bottom dwellers right now so we should just hold our tongue. Things will change though, 'the meek shall inherit the Earth!'.

Old
08-22-2012, 07:07 PM
Anksun

Send a message via ICQ to Anksun
Will probably be worth it money wise by the end of this deal.

But why taking so much risk? Is the potential gain that worthy of such a big contract that fast?

The absolute top players are getting 7.5 to 9M a year. Give him another 2 years around 3-3.5M to prove himself and then give him his 7M$ long term.

Throwing 42Millions, taking on all king of risks (injuries? developtment? new CBA?) so you can save a million buck on the salary cap is mind boggling for me.

I hope it turns well for the Oilers (and i believe it will) but it's risky as hell for not much of a gain imo.

Old
08-22-2012, 07:11 PM
Eskie Jetski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anksun View Post
Will probably be worth it money wise by the end of this deal.

But why taking so much risk? Is the potential gain that worthy of such a big contract that fast?

The absolute top players are getting 7.5 to 9M a year. Give him another 2 years around 3-3.5M to prove himself and then give him his 7M$ long term.

Throwing 42Millions, taking on all king of risks (injuries? developtment? new CBA?) so you can save a million buck on the salary cap is mind boggling for me.

I hope it turns well for the Oilers (and i believe it will) but it's risky as hell for not much of a gain imo.
Perfect scenario for a Paul Holmgren type GM to throw in an offer sheet. Sure, Daryl Katz probably has the resources to match, but we would prefer to have our own salary structure instead of having outside forces dictate how we pay our players in the future. I think the Shea Weber debacle should be a lesson for GMs in the future.

Old
08-22-2012, 07:14 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anksun View Post
Give him another 2 years around 3-3.5M to prove himself and then give him his 7M$ long term.
Why would we want to sign him for $7 million long term when we can sign him for $6 million long term?

Who was the last player to play at a 36 goal, 71 point pace for over 60 games and sign for $3-3.5 million?

Old
08-22-2012, 07:23 PM
LPH
[hello] :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pesky Hemsky View Post
So Pittsburgh and New York should not have signed Crosby and Gaborik to contracts because they had injury problems in the past? That seems to be the message you're implying.

You know, not every player is going to become the next Doug Jarvis.
let's let him hit at least 60 points before we compare him to Crosby
it's a little insulting to #87 until then

it's a decent deal, not a steal but not a big overpayment. Let's hope the other three take similar $ and the D reaches its potential.

Personally I'm tired of having a horrible division so hopefully it happens soon before our window closes because I'm almost lost my hate for the oilers

Old
08-22-2012, 07:25 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
let's let him hit at least 60 points before we compare him to Crosby
it's a little insulting to #87 until then
He was comparing their contract situations, not their playing ability.

Reading comprehension is your friend.

Old
08-22-2012, 07:30 PM
Drij

Another young overpaid player.

Old
08-22-2012, 07:31 PM
settinguptheplay
Classless Canuck Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTyler View Post
Why would we want to sign him for $7 million long term when we can sign him for $6 million long term?

Who was the last player to play at a 36 goal, 71 point pace for over 60 games and sign for $3-3.5 million?
I am confused by this post.... Who had a 71 point pace over 60 games? If you are talking about Hall I assume you are discounting his slow start. Which is disingenuous. All players have ups and downs over a season and do not gain the benefit of omitting portions of the season.

Old
08-22-2012, 07:32 PM
SDig14

Anyone suggesting signing the kid to 3.5 million a year or to a 2-3 year deal needs to really think about what they are saying.

Why would Hall ever sign a deal for 3.5 mill when guys like Skinner are making 5.75? They are represented by the same agency IIRC, so 5.75 was the minimum.

As far as the term, I think we want to have security knowing they are making a long-term commitment to the Oilers, and vice versa.

Let's just hope Eberle signs the same deal and we can move on.

Old
08-22-2012, 07:33 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

Over paid now--under paid in 3 years

Old
08-22-2012, 07:35 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by settinguptheplay View Post
I am confused by this post.... Who had a 71 point pace over 60 games? If you are talking about Hall I assume you are discounting his slow start. Which is disingenuous. All players have ups and downs over a season and do not gain the benefit of omitting portions of the season.
I'm not discounting anything.

For over 60 games (61 games to be exact. His whole season), Hall played at a pace that would translate to 71 points if he played a full 82 game season.

Old
08-22-2012, 07:35 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Quote:
A lot of people seem to think it is realistic to lowball a player and pay him for his actual production, not his prorated production.

Why didn't Gaborik get payed like the 23 point player he was in 2008-2009? Why didn't Crosby get payed like the 37 point player he was last season?

Because it doesn't work that way.
Unrestricted free agency. And Crosby won Pitt a cup. Hall has had two seasons and hasnt proven squat.

Old
08-22-2012, 07:39 PM
settinguptheplay
Classless Canuck Fan

Quote:
I'm not discounting anything.

For over 60 games (61 games to be exact. His whole season), Hall played at a pace that would translate to 71 points if he played a full 82 game season.
Ahhh... Misunderstood the first post. Makes perfect sense now.

Cheers

Old
08-22-2012, 07:45 PM
SDig14

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
Unrestricted free agency. And Crosby won Pitt a cup. Hall has had two seasons and hasnt proven squat.
Which is why even after Crosby took a pretty significant discount he still has a cap hit that is 45% higher than Hall's right now.

Old
08-22-2012, 07:48 PM
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by settinguptheplay View Post
0 pts in 8 games as opposed to 53 pts in 53 games. I would say that the 53 game sample size is more indicative of his level of play than the 8 game sample size, wouldn't you agree?
Also, i believe that he was pro-rating his stats including the pointless 8 game stretch to start the season.

Old
08-22-2012, 07:50 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Would be a fair deal if he can continue to progress (likely) and stay healthy (yet to be seen).

There's no question he has the talent. The question is if he can avoid injuries.

Old
08-22-2012, 08:25 PM
Flyerfan808

I was thinking closer to 5M, but shorter term.

Old
08-22-2012, 08:29 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLOVEkubasTUBA View Post
Steve Tambellini is the dumbest GM out there...

Hall, barring injury will be great, no doubt. But even if he has a 100 point season next year, no one would touch 6 million a year for 7 years.

It wasn't too long ago that you had to prove you could be consistent. Now they hand out lifetime contracts based on potential.

Dumb, dumb, dumb...
I prefer the modern mandate of paying players through their prime years opposed to doling out multi-year 50 million dollar deals to players north of 30 years old based on what they've previously accomplished. We saw that every summer prior to 2005/2006 and it was ridiculous.

Old
08-22-2012, 08:34 PM
blendini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
I prefer the modern mandate of paying players through their prime years opposed to doling out multi-year 50 million dollar deals to players north of 30 years old based on what they've previously accomplished. We saw that every summer prior to 2005/2006 and it was ridiculous.
Not every team can come in last place every year and cherry pick the best draft picks, buddy.

Old
08-22-2012, 08:39 PM
Stormcrow

Good deal for a good player. Edmonton has locked him up at a good price. Good signing.

Old
08-22-2012, 08:42 PM
Soundwave

All four of the Oiler kids are going to probably get the same-ish contract.

I'll save you guys all the "OMG what are they going to do!".

There's already $24-$26 million in budget set aside for these kids (provided Yakupov turns out as good as the three other kids).

Beyond Horcoff who has three years left on a front loaded deal, the Oilers don't have any other long term contracts.

Old
08-22-2012, 08:43 PM
McArthur

I can't wait to see him in the playoffs

Old
08-22-2012, 08:44 PM
HavlatMach9

I don't think anyone doubts that he'll live up to this contract.
It's just a tad early. Though, he'd have gotten the same contract if he waited until next year after another good season in the bag, which is when the extension kicks in anyways. At least it prevents needing to him a much larger contract if he has a Stamkos like season.

Old
08-22-2012, 08:48 PM
Slicknitty
"80,000 peoples"

1 down, many more to go...katz with his deep pockets and knack for turning struggling companies around, along with the help of the rising salary cap, will build one of the most exciting teams the NHL has seen in a very long time. Great time to be an oilers fan and a fan of hockey in general.

Closed Thread