HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[EDM] Taylor Hall signs seven year extension, $6m per

Closed Thread

Old
08-22-2012, 09:50 PM
Walkingthroughforest
Johnny be good.

vCash: 500
Paying for potential. Risky.

Old
08-22-2012, 09:51 PM
ozzie

How can the owners cry poor with a straight face with these kind of deals? This is very soon for a player who has yet to play a full season and remain injury free. I am sure Hall will be worth it, but it seems somewhat early.

Good for Hall, fans and the team for locking up their core.

Old
08-22-2012, 09:53 PM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 250
Torn on this deal... part of me wanted to wait until his next season is completed. However, if he stays healthy and continues progressing, not a stretch to say he'll score at a PPG pace. The price then goes up for a 7 year deal.

Old
08-22-2012, 09:55 PM
MessierII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkingthroughforest View Post
Not really if he plays at a 35 goal 71 point pace for entirety of this deal I'm pretty happy.

Old
08-22-2012, 10:02 PM
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

vCash: 3498
This thread is beginning to get out of hand. Knock off the flaming/trolling or you will be removed from the discussion. If someone trolls or flames - report - do not retaliate.

08-22-2012, 10:03 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkingthroughforest View Post

As opposed to paying for a "been there, already done it, likely won't do it again, just here now to collect my cheque and get progressively worse the last few years of my inflated contract" type of guy?

Old
08-22-2012, 10:09 PM
EuroFlair
Nash 40g in 2014-15

vCash: 666
It's a solid deal for both parts.

Might not be worth 6m this or next season for that matter but he's one of the most promising offensive talents in the game and now he's locked up for seven years, nothing bad with that.

Old
08-22-2012, 10:13 PM
SephF
Visually Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarSv View Post
It's a solid deal for both parts.

Might not be worth 6m this or next season for that matter but he's one of the most promising offensive talents in the game and now he's locked up for seven years, nothing bad with that.
He still has to finish his ELC next season. The year after that I expect he'll be one of the most prolific LW's in the NHL.

Old
08-22-2012, 10:20 PM
PWJunior
SUCK IT HATERS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessierII View Post
Not really if he plays at a 35 goal 71 point pace for entirety of this deal I'm pretty happy.
For the type of deal he just got, 'pace' is no longer acceptable. He needs to produce tangible results from here on in. His days of getting the benefit of the doubt are now over. He certainly has the ability to do it, but he's gotta avoid the injury bug - no matter how flukey people say they have been. The spotlight has been turned on so he has to put up star level numbers now that he is paid like one.

Old
08-22-2012, 10:21 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Holy crap. Look at all dem dough stacks for the kid!!!!

That's a lot of money for the kid. Hopefully Edmonton can get all their young talent locked up long term and still have money to bring in some solid help on. This was a step on the right direction though. An expensive step, but still, not a bad move. Good on em.

Old
08-22-2012, 10:39 PM
Expatriate

Should hve signed him to $5M/7 yrs with a NMC

Old
08-22-2012, 10:47 PM
MakeTheGoalsLarger

it's not like he's just about to become a free agent. No need to rush to sign him

Very bad deal from the oiliers

Old
08-22-2012, 10:49 PM
rick3652

Quote:
he is making the kind of money that stamkos makes so he has to scored more than 50 goals each and every season to EARN that kind of money.

Old
08-22-2012, 10:49 PM
April Ethereal
Eternal rains...

vCash: 907
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
For the type of deal he just got, 'pace' is no longer acceptable. He needs to produce tangible results from here on in. His days of getting the benefit of the doubt are now over. He certainly has the ability to do it, but he's gotta avoid the injury bug - no matter how flukey people say they have been. The spotlight has been turned on so he has to put up star level numbers now that he is paid like one.
Pretty much this.

If you're going to ask for big boy money, you'd better be ready to back it up with big boy results.

Old
08-22-2012, 10:53 PM
Samzilla
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pesky Hemsky View Post
So Pittsburgh and New York should not have signed Crosby and Gaborik to contracts because they had injury problems in the past? That seems to be the message you're implying.

You know, not every player is going to become the next Doug Jarvis.
Eh? I'm not saying whether his contract's a steal/fair/poor. We'll let time decide that. I'm saying he's injury prone. And people using the fact that he's had a long-standing injury to argue that he's not injury prone is a poor argument. And perhaps those other injuries were flukes. Sure they could've happened to anyone people say, but they didn't, they happened to Hall.

Last edited by Samzilla: 08-22-2012 at 11:01 PM.
Old
08-22-2012, 10:54 PM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakeTheGoalsLarger View Post
it's not like he's just about to become a free agent. No need to rush to sign him

And if he continues to follow in Tavares's footsteps? What does he sign for next year?

You lock up your core guys long before they get to FA. That is how every team does it, but apparently when we do it, we're idiots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3652 View Post
he is making the kind of money that stamkos makes so he has to scored more than 50 goals each and every season to EARN that kind of money.
Stamkos makes 7.5M per year. Bit of a difference there.

Old
08-22-2012, 10:55 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Gaborik got a lucrative 37.5m deal over 5 yrs after coming off of a 17 game season. If a player has talent, he's gonna get paid.

Old
08-22-2012, 11:08 PM
PWJunior
SUCK IT HATERS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
He still has to finish his ELC next season. The year after that I expect he'll be one of the most prolific LW's in the NHL.
Sorry, but that's no longer a valid excuse in my eyes. Oilers fans on here are very quick to compare him to Tavares and so the same dynamic applies now that he got his big 2nd contract. While he's technically in the last year of his ELC, that safety blanket has been thrown out the door. Expectations are now way different and Hall needs to breakout just like Johnny did.

He has to put up or shut up. Quite frankly, I'm tired of the incessant 'he was on pace for', 'he is projected to', etc. talk that permeates through this thread to justify this signing. Isles fans used the same exact arguments when JT signed his deal last offseason. It's all up to Hall now.

Last edited by PWJunior: 08-22-2012 at 11:15 PM.
Old
08-22-2012, 11:11 PM
gooilgo
Fehr is a reptile

Quote:
Originally Posted by unifiedtheory View Post
Bruin fans everywhere want to thank Tamby for over paying. Now Chiarelli has to do the same for Seguin. Nothing like a moronic GM setting the bar for the rest of the league.
So Skinner gets 5.75m for 6 years and the Oilers buy an additional UFA year from Hall(a former 1st overall) with a 6m deal over 7 years, yet it's the Oilers fault for inflating the market, I don't even....

Old
08-22-2012, 11:14 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooilgo View Post
So Skinner gets 5.75m for 6 years and the Oilers buy an additional UFA year from Hall(a former 1st overall) with a 6m deal over 7 years, yet it's the Oilers fault for inflating the market, I don't even....
Gotta love the hate all things oilers sometimes

Old
08-22-2012, 11:22 PM
Street Hawk

Quote:
Deal only seems high because the Oilers bought out 3 of Hall's UFA years and those always come at a premium, (see Parise and Suter). Yes, it's a risk that he might not be as good as he was hyped to be at the draft. He's finished his first 2 seasons in the NHL on IR, so he does need to figure out how to still play in the danger zones, but not get smashed.

Personally, I'm not concerned about long term deals in the NHL, as long as they are not the "retirement" contracts that have been signed by Hossa, Luongo, Franzen, Richards, etc. down the line.

Caps signed Backstrom for 10 years and he'll be 32 when it expires. That's fine because he'll play those 10 years. Luongo isn't going to be playing when his salary drops to $1.6, $1, and $1 million in the final 3 years. Ditto for all of the others when their salary drops too.

As long as the CBA has some sort of mechanism to ensure that there are no more retirement contracts, I could care less about term of deals. If they made it such that you get the same salary every season, or limited the variance of salary from year to year, that would curve these retirement deals.

Old
08-22-2012, 11:26 PM
tempest2i
Feral

Management buying up all of his RFA years is a huge vote of confidence in him from the team.

I believe he will not let them down.

Old
08-22-2012, 11:32 PM
Frank the Tank
The Oiler Tankers

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakeTheGoalsLarger View Post

Yep, no reason to sign promptly one of the core members of the team you are building, maintain a good relationship with this player, and provide a framework for future contracts of other core players. Instead, the Oilers should have waited, played hardball, and set the tone for Eberle, RNH, and Yakupov that you either take what the Oilers give you or hit the road.

Old
08-22-2012, 11:41 PM
SDig14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest2i View Post
Management buying up all of his RFA years is a huge vote of confidence in him from the team.

I believe he will not let them down.
Not only that, they bought 3 UFA years, which are for more important.

At the end of this deal, he will have been an Oiler for 10 years already, which means he will have great ties here, he might even be the C, so increases the chances he is a career Oiler as well.

Old
08-22-2012, 11:47 PM
MettleOiler

great deal! love it. Absolutely fair, it just can't get any better than this. I can't even fathom it. Joyous day!!

Closed Thread