HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > EA Sports NHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

EA Sports NHL Discussion forum for EA Sports NHL video games.

Hockey's Future: NHL '13 PS3 EASHL - Part I: Why you heff to be mad?

Old
09-20-2012, 09:28 AM
xdl1

vCash: 500
It seems like we mostly fly by the seat of our pants - Most of the games we lose are to teams with coordinated systems and characters that match it. You guys ever consider implementing a more strict forecheck/d zone coverage?

90% of the people in the club understand zoning, so it's not like it should take long to adopt.

xdl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 09:37 AM
Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdl1 View Post
It seems like we mostly fly by the seat of our pants - Most of the games we lose are to teams with coordinated systems and characters that match it. You guys ever consider implementing a more strict forecheck/d zone coverage?

90% of the people in the club understand zoning, so it's not like it should take long to adopt.
Tried last year. Worked for a week, went on a huge winning streak, then 90% of people stopped again.

Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 10:15 AM
xdl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
Tried last year. Worked for a week, went on a huge winning streak, then 90% of people stopped again.
I get confused when I hear someone complain about losing - we don't play with any structure. All of the teams above us do.

I'll have fun either way, but guaranteed we win way more games even with the most basic systems.

Old
09-20-2012, 11:28 AM
Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdl1 View Post
I get confused when I hear someone complain about losing - we don't play with any structure. All of the teams above us do.

I'll have fun either way, but guaranteed we win way more games even with the most basic systems.
If you're referring to me, its because I know this team has so much talent yet wastes it because they don't want to play smart.

Throughout any given game, I'm always reminding the wingers to cover their areas, they do it for a play or two, and then's back to chasing the puck behind out net, which in turns makes me out of position because I have to try to cover both points.

There is positional problems all around - if people played their position and we still lost, I'd be okay with it. No forward (especially wingers) should EVER be behind the net unless covering for a defenseman, but it seems on any given play we have 3 or 4 guys behind the red line.

From playing VGHL, I'm used to winning, cycling, and working a system. That's why I get so frustrated. Maybe I would be better suited playing someplace else. I love the people on this team, but 90% of the time I don't have fun because we lose for very stupid reasons. Losing legitmately? Fine. Losing because people aren't focused or are playing like they are 5-years-old on the SNES is what frustrates me.

Old
09-20-2012, 11:30 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
What team do I have to search for to join or request to join?

Shrimper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 01:18 PM
xdl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
If you're referring to me, its because I know this team has so much talent yet wastes it because they don't want to play smart.

Throughout any given game, I'm always reminding the wingers to cover their areas, they do it for a play or two, and then's back to chasing the puck behind out net, which in turns makes me out of position because I have to try to cover both points.

There is positional problems all around - if people played their position and we still lost, I'd be okay with it. No forward (especially wingers) should EVER be behind the net unless covering for a defenseman, but it seems on any given play we have 3 or 4 guys behind the red line.

From playing VGHL, I'm used to winning, cycling, and working a system. That's why I get so frustrated. Maybe I would be better suited playing someplace else. I love the people on this team, but 90% of the time I don't have fun because we lose for very stupid reasons. Losing legitmately? Fine. Losing because people aren't focused or are playing like they are 5-years-old on the SNES is what frustrates me.
Wasn't directed at anyone specifically - seen multiple people get mad over losses. Can't get mad if you don't try as hard as you can as a team.

BTW, the game I've seen from the top teams so far is all speed and then working behind the net and cycling. Looks like speed, acceleration, agility are king again this year.

Old
09-20-2012, 03:09 PM
FLYguy3911

Alright first off, if you are talking to a friend or family constantly, PLEASE PUT YOUR MIC ON MUTE. One, its hard to communicate when there are three separate conversations going on and two its annoying. Let's try and be considerate here.

Next, Dlong is right. Every good team has some kind of system going. We need an identity. Honestly, our forwards aren't elite. They aren't going to dangle through 5 guys and wrist one top corner. That's fine, we don't need that to win, but we need to do the little things right. Forwards being responsible in the defensive end and not floating in the neutral zone and defensemen (including myself) not trying to join the rush all the time.

In the defensive zone:
Wingers- When the puck is on your respective side of the ice you need to be near your point man. You don't need to be in his ass but you need to be close enough as to deny a possible easy pass. When the puck is on the other side of the ice you are responsible for the high slot.

Center- The center is more than just the guy that takes the faceoffs and gets all the points. The center is the bridge between the defense and the forwards. A center should have a defensive mindset at all times barring a large deficit. The center should be the last forward to leave the zone in most cases. He is responsible for covering down low in front of the net and supporting defensemen in the corners. The center should never be near the blue line when the other team has the puck unless covering for a teammate.

Defesemen- When the puck is on your respective side, you are responsible for staying between the net and an opposing player. Always protect the near post and avoid getting caught behind the net (its hard to do this year I know). Don't run all over the ice. Stay on your side unless covering for your partner. When the puck is in the opposite corner, you are responsible for the front of the net. Again, protect the posts (especially with a human goalie). Limit the movement and make your opponent make the first movement. Poke check is your friend this year. Avoid going for the hit unless it is a high percentage one.

That's all I got for now. One thing I will say about the breakout, forwards try to not go so far up the ice. One, its harder to pass and two, under a heavy forecheck poke checks are dangerous this year and if you are so far up the ice you won't be able to recover in time.

FLYguy3911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 04:03 PM
Natey
#feelthelove

To add to Gator's, I searched for the pictures and am posting them again;

NOTES
- As you can see, both breakouts are flipped, depending on which side the puck is on. q
OFFSIDE D: As the play moves over towards the opposite side of the ice, this defenseman needs to slide into the middle of the blueline. This opens up the defense for a 1-timer (or a wrist shot, depending on what you look) or to simply send it down to the left side to regroup from that side.
PUCKSIDE D: As the puck comes to your side, you will move to the boards. This way, the winger has an easy pass to the point (and it’s not going to go to our end). This defenseman can simply push the puck back down to the right winger, take a shot, move it to his defensive partner (be careful here), or just toss it into the corner.
OFFSIDE WINGER: You want to be able to get behind the net if the winger wants to the reverse the play, but you also want to be in a position where you can score. If your general positioning is where it shows on the board you will be available for passes and for the behind the net pass. If the offside d-man gets a 1-timer, it’s your job to cover his point until he’s back in position.
PUCK SIDE WINGER: You have the puck, the game is on your stick. If you see the center or offside defenseman open for a shot, go for it. If you see the cross 1-timer pass to the offside winger open take it (don’t try to throw it through 15 guys). If you have a lane to the net for an easy shot, take it if you wish. If you have nothing open, simply reverse (much like defenseman, say REVERSE on the mic, which will allow your left winger to know to get behind the net) or throw it up to the defenseman on the point.
CENTER: Float around in the high slot. If a winger gets pinned to the boards down low, try to support him and give him an option. The Center should (at most times) be behind the net or in the slot. If the puckside defenseman pinches in to keep the puck in the zone, circle back and cover him on defense until the he gets back.

- If our system had one word to describe it - it's basically going to be "smart." Basically, we are going to try to make the smart play, make the high percentage plays and leave the low percentage plays for teams who aren't as good as us. If we play smart, play good defense (THIS IS VERY KEY), we're going to be a very good team. We are going to capitalize on mistakes and score just as many goals, no doubt in my mind. But if we are defensively responsible, we are going to force the other team to make more mistakes because they will become frustrated.

POWERPLAY: I think this set-up will work fine on the Powerplay, except the center will have more freedom to go deeper as we will have the extra player on the ice. This same set-up would work perfectly for a 5 on 3 since we will be able to open the seems very easily for a cross-slot pass to the winger or center.

NOTES
- This is pretty basic and should help us greatly on defense.
- Play our position. I've outlined, with your colour, the area that you should be while in the defensive zone 95% of the time! It's that simple.

WINGERS: You're responsible for the point men. We need to watch them. Other teams do have guys like Gator who can score with ease from the point. The offside winger should be in the high slot, while the puckside winger should be covering the point.
CENTER: Again, you have the most freedom, but also the most responsibility. Most importantly, you need to watch the slot. You will also need to cover the PUCKSIDE defenseman if he cashes into the corner. We are going to try to eliminate chasing as much as possible, but if it happens, cycle down into their spot until they return.
DEFENSEMAN: It's pretty simple to know what you're supposed to do. TRY AS HARD AS POSSIBLE NOT TO CHASE! Protect the side of the net and the front of the net. Tie guys up in front of the net. And hit any guy about to get a cross crease pass (you will never get a penalty, and even a slight bump usually messes up their shot).

Old
09-20-2012, 04:17 PM
Pierre Dagenais
pissening

I have noticed that a lot of the times the center is way too focused on the breakout. I understand that he wants to score but the slot is the most dangerous area and it would help the defensemen alot if the center covered the slot.

I always try to play defensively even if I'm the winger because I'm used to playing center.

To natey: I think behind the net works really well in the offensive zone. The picture you posted clogs up the slot too much imo.

Pierre Dagenais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 04:28 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Dagenais View Post
To natey: I think behind the net works really well in the offensive zone. The picture you posted clogs up the slot too much imo.
Yeah. It's all about supporting the person with the puck and giving him options to pass to or shoot. Ideally we want a guy in the slot, a guy behind the net (or the far post cycling towards the back of the net), a guy on the half wall, a defenseman at the blue line against the boards, and the weakside D potentially looking to creep into the high slot. If that makes any sense.

I know one problem we have that the good teams don't is picking up passes along the boards that ruins any flow in the offensive zone. I'm not sure if its a ratings thing or a control thing. Might need to try it out in practice.

FLYguy3911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 04:36 PM
Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Dagenais View Post
I have noticed that a lot of the times the center is way too focused on the breakout. I understand that he wants to score but the slot is the most dangerous area and it would help the defensemen alot if the center covered the slot.

I always try to play defensively even if I'm the winger because I'm used to playing center.

If you read the blurb, that is mentioned. "The Center should (at most times) be behind the net or in the slot."

The center can go behind the net, though if we are leading, the center should stay around the high slot unless there is an big opening.

There is no reason for us to play high offense when we are up (against a decent team) 3-1 or 4-1. That's just asking for something to backfire.

Old
09-20-2012, 04:39 PM
Natey
#feelthelove

Here is the breakout strategy I'm thinking we should implement. It's simple, it's easy, and it's safe.

RIGHT SIDE BREAKOUT

LEFT SIDE BREAKOUT

NOTES
- As you can see, both breakouts are flipped, depending on which side the puck is on.
OFFSIDE D: The positioning here benefits in multiple ways. If the defenseman with the puck has no option on the breakout, he can fly the pass across the ice to his partner to see if anything is open. If the puck-side defenseman is in trouble, the offside defenseman can simply move behind the net to receive a "reverse pass." You should always be last in the offensive zone.
PUCKSIDE D: You have the puck. Make the smart play. The puckside winger will be your first lookout, since he is the furthest up the ice. If that's covered, look for the open player, whether it be the winger or center. If you have absolutely nothing (but no pressure), simply toss a pass across the ice to your defensive partner. IF YOU ARE IN TROUBLE, throw the puck along the boards behind the net where your defensive partner will be. (A simple communication word on the mic will be "REVERSE.")
OFFSIDE WINGER: You stay a bit lower, this will eliminate ridiculous stretch passes. It will also reduce the amount of times that stretch passes are picked off since you will be closer to the player with the puck. Never cross the the center ice line. When we enter the zone, try to enter on your side and stay close to the boards.
PUCK SIDE WINGER: You can go a little higher, so that if the pass is there immediately, the stretch pass can be made. This will help us get in the zone. If you have nothing, then as soon as you get in the zone, fire the puck around the boards where the offside winger can pick it up.
CENTER: Float around the blue-line in the middle of the ice. This will give the defenseman another option if the wingers are covered. The hope is, that if we pass you, some of the opposing players will rush you, which will allow you to send a short, crisp pass to one of the wingers who are slightly in front of you.

Old
09-20-2012, 04:55 PM
Pierre Dagenais
pissening

Agree with the breakout strategy. Too often the center is almost at the furthest blue line and the defense has nobody to pass to.

Pierre Dagenais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 05:04 PM
IslesRock4
Ever Forward

So, anyone up for implementing these systems? We have enough online.

IslesRock4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 05:17 PM
SolidSnakeUS

I'm in the DR right now. Got all my guys fixed up for boosts (hockey shop normal unlock stuff) and found out the 1.02 patch helps smooth out all the frame rate issues of all online play, especially OTP.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 07:01 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Hey Natey, we just beat BLM 11-0.

Old
09-20-2012, 10:09 PM
Natey
#feelthelove

good job.. love you snake!

Old
09-21-2012, 05:09 AM
Dylonus

How the hell did you beat BLM 11-0?!

Dylonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 09:00 AM
xdl1

The only thing I'll caution regarding the systems (they are fine in terms of content), is keep it short and as simple as possible, even if that just means bullet points. If everyone has to read seven long winded posts to completely understand everything, I promise you'll lose a few people along the way. If you cover the absolute musts in here, we can always make small adjustments as we play.

I'd simplify it to offensive zone, defensive zone, forecheck system, and lay it out in one post. I'd say include breakouts (because ours is bad), but its a product of defensive zone coverage and moving up ice as a group at the correct speed.

I'm still looking for a good gif for a 1-2-2. I've seen some excellent ones for other systems, but not that one for some reason. If I find one, I'll post it - its the easiest thing ever and its so hard to beat in this game because of the pokes.

Old
09-21-2012, 09:19 AM
xdl1

We would be the black dots.

Forechecker stays inside the puck carrier
Use box/trapezoid with all 4 to force play to the boards, only pinch when puck comes to the side of the box. Puck inside box = all players attack it.

That's the best I can find for now. The two keys to making it work: Forechecker cannot get beat by the puck carrier, so stay inside of him and poke from there at all costs, and keep the box in tact, only deviating when the puck is passed, which is when you pinch for a poke or check to force the turnover.

Old
09-21-2012, 12:15 PM
Dylonus

Suggestion -

The breakout seems too easy to defend if repeated. Perhaps a switch up? Perhaps something like a switch of position in the breakout.

For example, when coming up the left side, maybe the center comes back to receive and the winger takes off; that way you have a man in stride and the other defender can pinch up to start an attack IF and only IF we have numbers?

Just a thought.

Dylonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 02:30 PM
volaju
coffee to DUI for

PSN: dynezola
Position: C and RD.
Availability: After 5PM EST.
Stats/Profile: Just got NHL 13 today, but I played NHL 12 a lot, mostly drop-in games since I never found a club that played regularly enough. I play a responsible, defensively-minded game, so I can really play any position, but C and RD are my favorites.

I'll be playing tonight to start getting the feel of the new skating engine. Hope to play with you guys soon.

volaju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 05:47 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Anyone want to play? I'm in the DR right now.

Old
09-21-2012, 09:34 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Anyone for games? Anyone?

Old
09-21-2012, 09:44 PM
UFancyHuh

i can play, how many do we have on