HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kadri vs. Bozak

Old
08-25-2012, 01:22 PM
ponder

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
I think your proposal of letting him play in the third line center is okay, but no to keep him there, I'd imagine if he continues to strive under Carlyle's tutelage, he could really steal that spot from Bozak.
Sure, if he's good enough. At the moment he's not even a full time NHLer, going from the AHL to first line center in the NHL is quite a jump. If he makes the team full time this year, I have to think it'll be as a 3rd line C or 3rd line LW. If he can become a legit 1st line C eventually, that would be amazing, but I really don't think he's ready to start the season in that position.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 02:15 PM
Whydidijoin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evaBlue View Post
Most NHL players' "slow stretches" don't span over the course of 4-5 months. 0.5 PPG isn't going to cut it even if he does have a PPG+ month. If we're just looking to get a 0.5 PPG #2C, we could have found one for a lot cheaper than $5.5M. Heck, I'd rather have Colborne playing, as I'm fairly confident he can manage that much right now, and he has some size that's desperately lacking in our top 6.

Just because the points are going up in the games you decide you want them to (in January) doesn't mean it's an "overwhelming evidence" of Grabo's importance to the team. Given the amount of attention oppositions are paying to shut the Kessel line down, the Grabo line should essentially get a free ride in terms of coverage.
Where the hell did you get 0.5 PPG? He has shown that he can do a lot more than that. Slow stretch over 4-5 months? What? Lol. Maybe watch the Leafs sometime, because you seem to be watching bowling or something.

The overwhelming evidence is not even his points. It is every advanced statistic out there.

And no, Kessel does not always face the strongest opposition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
After saying he is overwhelmingly important to the team, you now make a convenient ready made excuse for Grabo because he is only a 5.5M 2nd line C so he absolved of any blame for this team's absymal record these past 4 years? Make up your mind either he is a valuable core piece to the team or he is not.
He is a core piece, but he is not going to single-handedly lift the Leafs into greatness and beyond, especially as the #2 center. That is not how hockey works. No player does that; not even Crosby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
BTW, Leafs were in first place in October last year with Grabo off to one of his usual slow starts, that's how important he is to the team. They did it without him.
Slow start? You mean the 4 goals and 7 points he had in the 11 games in October? Or the 3 additional points he got in the first 2 games of November?

Well, at least now I have proof that you don't watch him.

Whydidijoin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 02:29 PM
4evaBlue
Corsi != Possession

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryH View Post
I don't think there is much of a problem with Grabo producing. He's more than a 0.5 ppg C. His production barely dropped from last years as he was on pace for 56 in 82 games. Mac and kulemin though dropped a lot.
He went on a tear for a month and a half from Dec 23rd to Feb 8th managing 10G, 14A, 24pts in 19 games. For the rest of the season, he combined for 13G, 14A, 27pts in 55 games, which is very much a hit an miss for an all important #2C who gets hyped to the moon and back around here.

Yes, he had some questionable linemates for some stretches, but so did most other players on the team. Kessel for the last 2 months of the season, Colborne and Kadri for the short stretches they were up with the big club, etc. Joe certainly knows how hard it is to get production from plugs like Frattin.

Last edited by 4evaBlue: 08-25-2012 at 02:49 PM.
4evaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 04:56 PM
dballislife2

i dont wanna ruin kadri, his natural position is C and i think he needs to play there or at least given a chance...we'll see lupul kadri kessel for a least a few games preseason, so theres his chance

dballislife2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 05:07 PM
topchowda

Do TML fans still expect Kadri to make the nhl in the next 2-3 years?

This guy has been given numerous chances to make it but fails every time.

Ill take the guy who has actually shown ability to (somewhat) play effectively in the nhl.

Either way the leafs have to have a major look at the center position.

(which sort of begs the question why did they pass on grigs, a top center prospect)

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 05:29 PM
HenryH

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post

Ill take the guy who has actually shown ability to (somewhat) play effectively in the nhl.

(which sort of begs the question why did they pass on grigs, a top center prospect)
Kadri could most likely make the Leafs lineup this coming season if there is one and become a top 6 player in the NHL with some experience in the league. The development path he has had so far is fine, there is no need to rush a young player and he's learned a lot.

He hasn't failed on his chances, it all part of the development which will help him improve. His last couple stints in the NHL he has looked pretty good and even Carlyle wanted him to stay up longer but wasn't able to keep him. Kadri is going to fine.

Grigs seems pretty risky and a lot of teams passed up on him. Burke made a good pick with Reilly though who has lots of potential. Very glad we got him.

HenryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 05:46 PM
topchowda

I think Rielly is a very good pick, but the Leafs are missing a big #1 center and are stocked on D prospects.

Anyway, i think Kadri has boat loads of skill but if he has been given chances at the NHL level and failed that should raise red flags. If he is good enough to play in the NHL he would stick.

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 06:32 PM
4evaBlue
Corsi != Possession

Quote:
I think Rielly is a very good pick, but the Leafs are missing a big #1 center and are stocked on D prospects.

Anyway, i think Kadri has boat loads of skill but if he has been given chances at the NHL level and failed that should raise red flags. If he is good enough to play in the NHL he would stick.
Not really. Every time he was called up, he was considerably better than the last time. Every time he gets one of these "chances", he's lucky to get 3rd line minutes, and stone-hands as linemates.

Last season, it should have been Kadri who stayed up (as soon as he came off the IR) instead of Frattin, had the Wilson love affair not gotten in the way. The dude took 20 friggin games to finally find the net. I'm positive Carlyle won't make the same mistake. Who did Kadri get to play with? Armstrong, Lombardi, Connolly, and Crabb? Who does Frattin get to play with? Grabo, Kulemin, MacArthur, and Kessel? Can you seriously call that getting chance after chance for Kadri?

4evaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 06:45 PM
ponder

Quote:

Man, I'll bet the Kings and Blues are kicking themselves for taking Doughty and Pietrangelo high in the 2008 draft when Filatov was still on the board!

Burke took Rielly because he thought he was the best player available. You don't draft someone who you see as a worse prospect to fill a positional need, ESPECIALLY since draft will be making the most impact for your team from roughly the 3rd to the 10th year after they were drafted (when they're around 21-28, after that they might be gone), and team needs can change a lot over the years.

Watching Grigorenko in the QMJHL playoffs, and then later in the Canada-Russia challenge, he was completely invisible and very disappointing. Personally I'm very glad we didn't draft him, I don't see him turning into a great player at the NHL level. Reminds me a lot of a taller Tim Connolly, actually.

/offtopic

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 09:02 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
Man, I'll bet the Kings and Blues are kicking themselves for taking Doughty and Pietrangelo high in the 2008 draft when Filatov was still on the board!
I bet the Leafs are glad they took Schenn in 2008 when Eberle was available.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote