HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alfredsson on D...

Closed Thread

Old
09-19-2003, 06:38 AM
Volchenkov

vCash: 500
Alfredsson on D...

What would you guys think of eventually switching Alfie to a defense slot? I elaborated on why I think its a good idea in the Himelfarb cut thread, but I wanted to see what you guys think.

Old
09-19-2003, 06:46 AM
discostu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volchenkov
What would you guys think of eventually switching Alfie to a defense slot? I elaborated on why I think its a good idea in the Himelfarb cut thread, but I wanted to see what you guys think.
I don't like it at all. I'm not fully comfortable with having him play the PP QB role as it is. He's a little shaky when he has to come back, although he is improving at it.

His entire NHL career has been as a forward, and it's too late in the game to change that. The PP role isn't too bad, but I honesty would like to see our other defencemen have a shot at it. When Alfie took the role of PP QB, we were much weaker on our blueline. Since then, Redden has improved, Rachunek has established himself as an offensive presence, Chara has become an all-star defenceman, Phillips has stabilized and guys like Volchenkov and Pothier have shown enough offensive flair.

I think our RWers are getting enough ice time. Ideally, each one should get a little more, but there are few guys on this team that you can point to and say that they are getting too much ice time, so there is little benefit of switching things around too much.

Old
09-19-2003, 06:48 AM
officeglen

Quote:
You mean not only on the pp, but taking a regular D shift?

I don't see it working due to Alfie's style (some finesse), size (not small, but not big either) and hip. The opponents will dump it into his side, then run him.

Old
09-19-2003, 06:49 AM
H2ODP

vCash: 177
I'm interested to see how Schastlivy would do in the PP QB position.

Old
09-19-2003, 06:53 AM
Volchenkov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensfan11
I'm interested to see how Schastlivy would do in the PP QB position.
now that's an intersting idea. Does he have a good slapshot or is he more of a wrist-shot guy? Alfie has a great slapper but his wrist shot isn't incredible while on the other hand Hossa and Fisher have great wrist shots but not slap shots. My impression of Shaft is that he's more of a wrist shot guy which wouldn't make him ideal for the PP QB position.

Old
09-19-2003, 06:56 AM
Volchenkov

I really see no harm in trying it out. The way I see it is that we have 7 defenseman that can I wouldn't mind having on the ice while we have 14 (maybe 15) forwards. If it comes down to playing Vermette/Van Allen or Hnidy I'd much rather try out Alfie on defense (regular season only here). If it came down to either Hull or Hnidy I would have to give it some thought.

Old
09-19-2003, 07:12 AM
H2ODP

vCash: 177
Quote:
now that's an intersting idea. Does he have a good slapshot or is he more of a wrist-shot guy? Alfie has a great slapper but his wrist shot isn't incredible while on the other hand Hossa and Fisher have great wrist shots but not slap shots. My impression of Shaft is that he's more of a wrist shot guy which wouldn't make him ideal for the PP QB position.
True, Schastlivy is more of a wrister then slapper. Petr doesn't hesitate to shoot the puck, and from the rare slapshot I've seen from Schastlivy, It's deadly. He would be an amazing QB. IMO..

Old
09-19-2003, 07:53 AM
Dr.Sens(e)

The idea of Alfie as a d-man fulltime isn't a good one. He's never played it and would simply be over-powered, not to mention the fact that he doesn't skate backwards well enough.

It's a risk as it is on the PP. The few times I've seen him caught back on a rush, he did not handle it that well. He would be a bad AHL d-man.

Not to mention the fact you're taking away from his strength on the cycle down low, involving a lot of twists and turns to shed defenders that simply don't make sense when you're the only guy between the opposition and your goalie. He would have to make his game much more simple - which would take away from why he is an effective NHLer.

Alfredsson is appropriate on the PP however, because he has the best one-timer on the team. He can get it off quickly and whether the pass is on his front or back-foot (ala Brett Hull actually, although not quite as good obviously). He is basically the only guy on the team who can do that consistently from what I've seen.

Old
09-19-2003, 08:01 AM
Volchenkov

Okay, you guys have convinced me that its a bad idea. I just thought it would be an interesting discussion. I like the Shaft as PP QB idea. He has all the tools to be a very good one and it would allow Alfie to play as a forward.

Old
09-19-2003, 08:09 AM
SensGod

Send a message via MSN to SensGod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensfan11
True, Schastlivy is more of a wrister then slapper.
Oh man... ...I almost fell out of my chair laughing when I read that. Thanks...you just made my day.

Here's to hoping no one else takes that out of context...

Old
09-19-2003, 10:27 AM
Hossa

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensGod
Oh man... ...I almost fell out of my chair laughing when I read that. Thanks...you just made my day.

Here's to hoping no one else takes that out of context...
Oh, they won't...

Old
09-19-2003, 11:14 AM
The Mars Volchenkov

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
I realize Alfie played defense growing up in Sweden, but what's wrong with our current defense that we would have to move a forward back there who hasn't played defense in about 10 years?

Old
09-19-2003, 01:02 PM
sensens

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensGuy
I realize Alfie played defense growing up in Sweden, but what's wrong with our current defense that we would have to move a forward back there who hasn't played defense in about 10 years?
I agree - the thought of Alfredsson suddenly charged with effectively checking elite NHL talent is VERY problematic - especially given that we have arguably one of the top 2 or 3 defences in the NHL.

Old
09-19-2003, 08:10 PM
The Hamburglar

Schastlivy might be possible as a PP QB, but really, he's played what? 30-40 NHL games? I haven't seen enough.

Right now, the only forward other than Alfie I can see as a QB is possibly Bonk, but he needs to get his shot off quicker.

Old
09-19-2003, 10:16 PM
Lexicon Devil

Why is everyone so keen about changing the powerplay that scored 83 goals last year?

Old
09-20-2003, 04:36 AM
discostu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexicon Devil
Why is everyone so keen about changing the powerplay that scored 83 goals last year?
How many short handed goals did we allow last year. I don't know the number, but I remember it happening more than I would like.

Besides, we have young players whose offensive talents are on the rise, and they may be able to be put in the mix. Having different options on the powerplay is always a good thing, as strong scouting and customized PK strategies mean that you can no longer get lazy on the PP. Teams will find a way to beat it eventually, and you have to have a plan B (kinda like when Jacques throws Chara out in front of the net).

Closed Thread