HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Wings sign Carlo Colaiacovo

Old
08-24-2012, 09:20 AM
Capsized
Parity is a Disease

vCash: 500
On a positive note the lockout could save us from being embarrassed at the WC. I can't believe we are hosting the event with the worst team we have had in 25 years. It has the potential of announcing to the world that the Wing's run is officially over.

Capsized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 09:25 AM
Henkka

Quote:
Originally Posted by schminksbro View Post
On a positive note the lockout could save us from being embarrassed at the WC. I can't believe we are hosting the event with the worst team we have had in 25 years. It has the potential of announcing to the world that the Wing's run is officially over.
It could still be a better them than the 12-13 Maple Leafs. So where's the embarrasment?

Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 09:32 AM
doublejack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
It could still be a better them than the 12-13 Maple Leafs. So where's the embarrasment?
IDK about that. Holland is reassembling the 2006-07 Leafs defense, with White and now possibly Colaiacovo. Can we get McCabe out of retirement? What's the asking price on Kaberle?

doublejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 09:35 AM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublejack View Post
IDK about that. Holland is reassembling the 2006-07 Leafs defense, with White and now possibly Colaiacovo. Can we get McCabe out of retirement? What's the asking price on Kaberle?

The party doesn't start until lilja and lebda are back.

WingedWheel1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 09:45 AM
doublejack

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
Detroit doesn't only need a top pairing D-man, we need a bottom pairing/extra guy too. Who's our first injury callup right now.. Lashoff? Dear god..
I've tried pointing this out before. We lost Lidstrom and Stuart and the only move so far is to graduate Smith. Quincey was swapped for Commodore so that didn't really do anything for depth, it was an upgrade.

With that in mind, we presently need one legitimate full-time NHL level defenseman. Preferably a top pairing guy, but at this point someone who can play ANYWHERE in the top six is OK. To say we are paper thin is an understatement.

Additionally, with Janik singing in Europe and Pyett signing with the Rags AND Exelby signing with Boston, plus Smith graduating, we need at least two AHL/NHL level D and possibly three. I look at GR's present roster, and there is simply nobody to call up in case of injury. Nobody. That will have to be addressed. I am thinking we sign / trade for a couple journeymen that will clear waivers on a two-way deal, and/or we trade for a prospect that is getting close to being NHL ready. We have some longer term prospects on D, but Smith graduating means the short term cupboard is now empty. Action must be taken.

Old
08-24-2012, 09:49 AM
doublejack

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWheel1987 View Post
The party doesn't start until lilja and lebda are back.
Don't laugh. There is a very good chance Lebda will be signed on a two-way deal to play in GR and provide depth to the organization.

Old
08-24-2012, 10:12 AM
solo16

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublejack View Post
Don't laugh. There is a very good chance Lebda will be signed on a two-way deal to play in GR and provide depth to the organization.
If he is willing to take a two way deal thats actually a good signing. Not saying I like lebda but he was serviceable in our system. Probably better than Lashoff as a call up.

solo16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 10:46 AM
Booyah!

if they need a 7th d-man why can't they sign a cheap one like Vandermeer or O'Donnell?

Booyah! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 10:56 AM
VladTheImpaler
Go Wings

Ohhhh Kenny, you are just too predictable. Make a high risk/high reward hockey trade for once, please.

VladTheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 11:11 AM
doublejack

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo16 View Post
If he is willing to take a two way deal thats actually a good signing. Not saying I like lebda but he was serviceable in our system. Probably better than Lashoff as a call up.
I believe he might. He didn't get an NHL contract until mid January last season, and he spent more time in the AHL then the NHL. Of course there is the history factor too, and that Detroit is so thin on D he might seen an opportunity to supplant someone in the roster or believe he will get a chance to play in Detroit because of injury.

This is the type of deal that won't get done until we have some sort of training camp, though.

Old
08-24-2012, 11:11 AM
Thrace

Kind of ridiculous that the most positive aspect of this signing is that with CC's injury history it should at least mean Kindl gets a fair shake next season. Seems like quite a lot of money to give up on someone who's been sitting untaken for seven weeks too.

I guess at least he's a bona-fide NHLer, maybe he can 'do a Cleary' here and get good for a few years.

Thrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 11:16 AM
Frk It
#snipequist

Still like the idea of trading one of our less effective 16 forwards and a middle round draft pick for Ellerby, but maybe that's still an option if Colaiacovo signs elsewhere.

Frk It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 11:58 AM
Frk It
#snipequist

Someone who doesn't hit, doesn't block shots, doesn't PK.

Explain to me why we are interested in this guy?

Seriously this team is obnoxiously redundant on defense.

Last edited by Frk It: 08-24-2012 at 01:37 PM.
Frk It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 12:13 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
Just because Hannan played 19 minutes a game doesn't mean he's any good at it.

edit: I want to expand on this because I wasn't trying to just be snarky. It's just that it's easy to make a statement like that about anyone. It's unfair to disregard what a player's been trusted with over several seasons in favor of a brief stretch of regular season games during an injury crisis or over a dislike of the guy.
Look, Kyle Quincey's defensive game isn't good.
He's a roamer.

If Kyle Quincey was really this two-way defenseman some pretend, why the hell would Colorado make him a healthy scratch?
Why would Colorado trade him for Steve Downie - a third/fourth liner? Why would they do it when his asking price is just $4M a year?

Did Colorado have any other options?

This move for CC makes no sense unless Holland is getting ready to move a Left Shooting D for Right Shooting D.

CC has always been considered a puck moving D. Defense has always been an issue.

This is yet another middling move toward mediocrity.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 12:16 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo16 View Post
Lebda was serviceable in our system when we had Lidstrom, Rafalski, Stuart and Kronwall playing at 2008 levels.

You through him out there now and things might be another story

Old
08-24-2012, 12:18 PM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
These types of moves by Holland get coaches fired.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 12:21 PM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
These types of moves by Holland get coaches fired.
I guess Holland really is trying to destroy the team if he is trying to get rid of the last chance that the Wings have of rebuilding/contending again. Assuming your theory ends up being true.

Assuming of course no magic 20th round draft picks turn into the next D/Z.

Babcock is the best thing left on this roster with a long term future.

It's really unfortunate how passive/timid Holland has become. I understood his philosophy when the Wings were legit contenders for the cup, but now this type of GM'ing is crippling the roster. I still cant get over the fact that Holland didnt offer Semin the exact same deal that Carolina offered. Why not? WHAT DO YOU HAVE TO LOSE?

Did anyone realistically think the Wings best signing this offseason would be Mikael Sameulsson?

WingedWheel1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 12:41 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
He's a roamer.

If Kyle Quincey was really this two-way defenseman some pretend, why the hell would Colorado make him a healthy scratch?
Why would Colorado trade him for Steve Downie - a third/fourth liner? Why would they do it when his asking price is just $4M a year?

This move for CC makes no sense unless Holland is getting ready to move a Left Shooting D for Right Shooting D.

CC has always been considered a puck moving D. Defense has always been an issue.

I don't think either player is really a liability in his own zone, though. Are they defensive stalwarts in the Craig Ludwig mode? No, of course not, but I'm also not sold that such a guy is a necessity, either.

And while I keep expecting us to go after a right hander at some point, the two guys who keep popping up in trade rumors - Yandle and Bouwmeester - are lefties, too. As was Suter. It seems that either the Wings priorities have shifted a bit from balancing the pairings to being sure they have guys with certain skill sets, or the rumors are just blatantly false.

Which I don't think is entirely impossible. Maybe we are trying to sign CC, but I also thought Holland made some comments before about waiting to see if anyone shakes loose as a result of a new CBA. I could understand Bouwmeester and Yandle if the price is right, they're both top pairing guys regardless of what hand they shoot with. A guy like CC? As I said, I'm not against it, but it also doesn't fit as well as the other two other than the price being right (no assets, apparently a very cheap salary for a guy who will play ~19 minutes a night).

Assuming the rumors are true, I think we're getting an idea of the type of style the wings are hoping to run with this year. It's clearly going to be up-tempo, focusing on putting pressure on the other team's D and pushing the play up ice. And considering so many other teams look to embrace the idea of falling back into a box and grinding out one or two goal games again, this might not be a bad idea. If the other team is willing to go into a shell, push it at them and try to keep them bottled up.

With Colorado, Quincey was coming up on free agency, they had a decent run without him, and he clearly wasn't happy there so they moved him for what they could get. I think it's colorado dealing from a recognized strength to bring in a player with some qualities they were maybe lacking.

08-24-2012, 12:50 PM
tmanv

Quote:
He's a roamer.

I'm holding judgment on quincey, he's no force in his own end but he can be better than he was last year. Colorado did go out and get Johnson, but it is still kind of concerning that he was a scratch as their d isn't exactly stacked.

As far as the other moves this year I think people are overreacting to Hollands performance. I personally liked the tootoo and gustavsson moves, and he was in it right to the end with a very competitive offer to Suter, things just haven't panned out and now there's no one really left. Sounds like he's giving on Calgary because they're asking too much which I think is a good thing. Bouwmeester would be a great fit in Detroit in my opinion, but not worth overpaying drastically. However, I really hated the samuelsson move, hope it doesn't force nyquist back to the ahl.

tmanv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 01:14 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
I don't think either player is really a liability in his own zone, though. Are they defensive stalwarts in the Craig Ludwig mode? No, of course not, but I'm also not sold that such a guy is a necessity, either.

Well, you play pollyanna all you want.
Who is supposed to play defense on this team? Who plays the hard minutes?Who is supposed to play tough in front of the net? Who is going to play tough in the corners? Who kills penalties?

When you open your eyes and take a good hard look and be honest, you see that this defense is filled with puck movers who aren't very good in their own end.

What we're doing on defense is the exact same thing we've been doing at forward since Hossa left.

We're using mediocre players in big situations. And then we're acquiring mediocre players to perform in depth roles.
So if we sign CC, that means Kindl is blocked from the lineup.

There is no good reason on this earth, with the mediocre defense we have, that we are blocking Kindl

Quote:
And while I keep expecting us to go after a right hander at some point, the two guys who keep popping up in trade rumors - Yandle and Bouwmeester - are lefties, too. As was Suter. It seems that either the Wings priorities have shifted a bit from balancing the pairings to being sure they have guys with certain skill sets, or the rumors are just blatantly false.
Another failure in roster building, if you ask me.
In my opinion, that's why being in on Dennis Wideman on Day 1 was the right option.
And then you still stay in on Suter and if you get both, you move a Quincey or don't sign him.

Quote:
Which I don't think is entirely impossible. Maybe we are trying to sign CC, but I also thought Holland made some comments before about waiting to see if anyone shakes loose as a result of a new CBA. I could understand Bouwmeester and Yandle if the price is right, they're both top pairing guys regardless of what hand they shoot with. A guy like CC? As I said, I'm not against it, but it also doesn't fit as well as the other two other than the price being right (no assets, apparently a very cheap salary for a guy who will play ~19 minutes a night).
With CC on this team, can you come up with pairings that look reasonable?
Kronwall Quincey
CC White
Ericsson Smith

To me, that's as mediocre as mediocre gets.

Quote:
Assuming the rumors are true, I think we're getting an idea of the type of style the wings are hoping to run with this year. It's clearly going to be up-tempo, focusing on putting pressure on the other team's D and pushing the play up ice. And considering so many other teams look to embrace the idea of falling back into a box and grinding out one or two goal games again, this might not be a bad idea. If the other team is willing to go into a shell, push it at them and try to keep them bottled up.
Wishful thinking.
Which would be nice if we had three offensive lines. But we do not.
We have two.
Any line centered by Helm is an energy line. Not an offense line.

Quote:
With Colorado, Quincey was coming up on free agency, they had a decent run without him, and he clearly wasn't happy there so they moved him for what they could get. I think it's colorado dealing from a recognized strength to bring in a player with some qualities they were maybe lacking.
I think it's Colorado dishing a guy who wasn't worth his contract for a depth player.

Holland is flailing. There is no game plan.

To me, it appears he is going from player to player, picking off names he recognizes as good players. I don't think this is about players with a "certain skillset."

You say CC indicates a move toward an up tempo game. But 36-year-old Sammy isn't an up tempo player. Ryan Suter isn't an up tempo player. Shane Doan isn't really an up tempo player.

Old
08-24-2012, 01:46 PM
Henkka

The right side defencemen currently are Ericsson, Smith and White. I don't know who is going to take the toughest minutes at right side, but those are the guys you pick from.

Colaiacovo would be just an upgrade over Kindl. Maybe they are shopping Kindl with Filppula, maybe not.

Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 02:00 PM
Harnessed in Slums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
The right side defencemen currently are Ericsson, Smith and White. I don't know who is going to take the toughest minutes at right side, but those are the guys you pick from.

Colaiacovo would be just an upgrade over Kindl. Maybe they are shopping Kindl with Filppula, maybe not.
Haytaz gonna hate but I'm pretty sure E will play on the top pairing with Kronner. I agree that CC will take over the 6th spot until he suffers a season ending injury. At that point Kindl may be thrown to the wolves...or Ken Holland may decide that making a trade that is the equivalent of scotch tape and chicken wire is all it takes to mend the defense.

Harnessed in Slums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 02:18 PM
TimoneX

I'm okay with this, if true. The term is short and the cap hit is reasonable for a guy with CC's skill set. The Wings add some blue line depth and don't give up any assets. While I too would like to see Detroit make a trade for a top Dman, they're at a premium currently and I don't care to see the Wings weaken their top three lines significantly chasing a Dman in this market.

Many clamor for the Wings to get younger, and here we are looking at the retirement of Lidstrom and Homer and loss of Stuart, while adding younger players with the exception of Sammy.

TimoneX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 02:23 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Well, you play pollyanna all you want.
Who is supposed to play defense on this team? Who plays the hard minutes?Who is supposed to play tough in front of the net? Who is going to play tough in the corners? Who kills penalties?

When you open your eyes and take a good hard look and be honest, you see that this defense is filled with puck movers who aren't very good in their own end.

What we're doing on defense is the exact same thing we've been doing at forward since Hossa left.

We're using mediocre players in big situations. And then we're acquiring mediocre players to perform in depth roles.
So if we sign CC, that means Kindl is blocked from the lineup.

There is no good reason on this earth, with the mediocre defense we have, that we are blocking Kindl

Another failure in roster building, if you ask me.
In my opinion, that's why being in on Dennis Wideman on Day 1 was the right option.
And then you still stay in on Suter and if you get both, you move a Quincey or don't sign him.

With CC on this team, can you come up with pairings that look reasonable?
Kronwall Quincey
CC White
Ericsson Smith

To me, that's as mediocre as mediocre gets.

Wishful thinking.
Which would be nice if we had three offensive lines. But we do not.
We have two.
Any line centered by Helm is an energy line. Not an offense line.

I think it's Colorado dishing a guy who wasn't worth his contract for a depth player.

Holland is flailing. There is no game plan.

To me, it appears he is going from player to player, picking off names he recognizes as good players. I don't think this is about players with a "certain skillset."

You say CC indicates a move toward an up tempo game. But 36-year-old Sammy isn't an up tempo player. Ryan Suter isn't an up tempo player. Shane Doan isn't really an up tempo player.
And you be Chicken Little, between the two of us we'll have a cartoon.

For the big minutes, I think it begins with Kronwall. If we're looking to hold, probably Ericsson, if we're looking to score, probably Smith or White.

With the corners, I think you're understating the willingness and ability of Smith, Quincey and E to get in there and and get their noses dirty. White's willing, but his size puts him at a heavy disadvantage.

and I think the Helm doesn't have to score to push the game into the other end and wear on the other team. It'd be nice if they do put up the occasional goal, though slightly more occasionally than last year, but an energy line can fit the idea of tilting the ice.

For pairings:

Kronwall-E
Smith-CC
Quincey-White
Kindl

Don't disagree about Wideman, I wanted him and would have been fine with dealing for his rights and giving him the contract Calgary gave him.

Suter was the best D on the market. I think his skills could have fit fine with a system focused on pushing the play up the ice and keeping the play in the other end. Sammy and Doan add some size and balance, and good work along the boards, which would help keep the play in the other end. Working guys like Brunner and Nyquist into the lineup, moving Hudler and Homer out, hopefully moving Bert down...it has the potential to be much more mobile.

Don't really disagree about Kindl, either. I'd wait and see what the CBA maybe shakes loose. If push came to shove, just sign a guy like Kubina to be the #7 most of the year, step in late if need be, while keeping someone like Woywitka or Eminger in GR as the first call-up. That doesn't mean I don't see how CC could work for us, just that I'm not the biggest fan of it.

Winger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 02:24 PM
CloneHakanPlease*

I'd prefer Roz to CC too, but you are all making the assumption that Rozival wants to come play for Detroit, something that may or may not be true.

CloneHakanPlease* is offline   Reply With Quote