HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT Thread Part II: "We Successfully Made it Past Part I" Edition

Closed Thread

Old
08-27-2012, 09:46 PM
adam94
BU Terriers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreiders Underwear View Post
I start the end of my highschool career on the 4th as well.

I have to write a DBQ essay off of 16 documents and do textbook work plus a worksheet on Machiavelli for AP Euro, do 4 current event assignments and a worksheet for AP Environmental, and do a project on Bosnia. I just started Volleyball today. The only thing I've started.
My school gives about the same work over the summer. I hate it so much. I already did one AP assignment (Calc BC) and I have 3 left - Macroeconomics, US Government, and Spanish (yuck), which totals about 9 essays. Haven't written any yet and I go back to school this Thursday I'm just happy there's no work for Physics B.

Old
08-27-2012, 10:06 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

For me so far, everything i've done in college has been easier than high school. We the People as the most difficult academic related thing i've done in all of my schooling and nothing in college has come close yet, sadly.

Old
08-28-2012, 08:05 AM
blue425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipolar View Post
Someone suggest me an avatar (doesn't matter if it's rangers related or not)
I need something new
https://www.google.com/search?num=10...ac.CMk5VAMl348

Quote:
Also need a new bag. Regular or Messanger?
I've always been partial to Brooklyn Industries. Their clothing is an absolute rip off ($30 for a t shirt? Go **** yourself), but their bags are actually pretty high quality.

I bought one these back in 2005.

http://www.brooklynindustries.com/pr...5-202af4ba70dd

I still have it and it is in very good condition.

However I am getting bored with it. My next bag is coming from here:

http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/

New avatar: https://www.google.com/search?num=10...ac.CMk5VAMl348

Old
08-28-2012, 09:01 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

So Kovalev was in Brewster, NY yesterday. My team's former goalie works there got a picture with him. He was there watching his son play. Apparently he's quite good. Said he scored 6 goals in the first period and then got another 4 assists, final score was 10-1. .

Last edited by WhipNash27: 08-28-2012 at 09:07 AM.
Old
08-28-2012, 11:46 AM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 3075
Today was the first day of some of my classes and someone asked the worst possible question one could possibly ask.

The professor thought the class was supposed to be 45 minutes instead of an hour and 15 minutes.

Right before the professor was about to let us out, he asked, "So are there any more questions?" so someone asked, "Do you always let us out this early?"

08-28-2012, 11:47 AM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Gym rats of HFNYR - How bad is it to do the same workouts every day?

Here's my "routine" (in quotes because it's more or less a joke of a routine I think, I know I should be doing more)

Every weekday morning before breakfast I do 3 sets of 50 crunches (middle set is bicycle crunches), and in between those sets I do 30 pushups. I try to take it easy on weekends but if I can find time to before dinner I do 100 crunches and max out on pushups.

Then before lunch I do 4 sets of 20 bicep curls with 15 lbs dumbbells on Monday - Wednesday and Friday (I skip Thursdays and weekends).

Finally, every other day I either do 2 sets of 25 calf raises with 15lbs dumbbells and then 2 sets of 25 with 25lbs dumbbells. Days I'm not doing calf raises I'm doing 4 sets of 20 15lbs dumbbell squats.

I'm wondering if I should be doing things differently. Not doing crunches/pushups every morning, and doing a better job of splitting up my bicep workouts. Also, would anyone be able to recommend a new plan if this one is just way off of what I should be doing? I'm not the strongest guy in the world (currently 5'9"/137-140lbs [it fluctuates very often between that range]) but I'm really trying to get bigger and hopefully up to somewhere in the 160lbs range.

I'm not so interested in joining a gym, but know I'll probably have to eventually. I have 2 15lbs dumbbells, 2 25lbs dumbbells, and a flat bench.

I posted something similar to this in the 1st OT thread but it didn't get much love, anyone care to help here in part II?

Any advice/help would be appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
Today was the first day of some of my classes and someone asked the worst possible question one could possibly ask.

The professor thought the class was supposed to be 45 minutes instead of an hour and 15 minutes.

Right before the professor was about to let us out, he asked, "So are there any more questions?" so someone asked, "Do you always let us out this early?"
Ugh, that's painful. It's like the kids back in high school who would ask the teacher if there was any HW when they forgot to mention it.

Old
08-28-2012, 11:48 AM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Standing in a huge line waiting to get my books. Fml

Old
08-28-2012, 11:51 AM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCrazyRangerFan View Post
Standing in a huge line waiting to get my books. Fml
That's the UB bookstore for ya.

For future reference, you can pre-order them online there's never a wait for that. You can just stroll into the bookstore and pick them up when they're ready to pickup for you.

Link

Old
08-28-2012, 12:01 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post

Here's my "routine" (in quotes because it's more or less a joke of a routine I think, I know I should be doing more)

Every weekday morning before breakfast I do 3 sets of 50 crunches (middle set is bicycle crunches), and in between those sets I do 30 pushups. I try to take it easy on weekends but if I can find time to before dinner I do 100 crunches and max out on pushups.

Then before lunch I do 4 sets of 20 bicep curls with 15 lbs dumbbells on Monday - Wednesday and Friday (I skip Thursdays and weekends).

Finally, every other day I either do 2 sets of 25 calf raises with 15lbs dumbbells and then 2 sets of 25 with 25lbs dumbbells. Days I'm not doing calf raises I'm doing 4 sets of 20 15lbs dumbbell squats.

I'm wondering if I should be doing things differently. Not doing crunches/pushups every morning, and doing a better job of splitting up my bicep workouts. Also, would anyone be able to recommend a new plan if this one is just way off of what I should be doing? I'm not the strongest guy in the world (currently 5'9"/137-140lbs [it fluctuates very often between that range]) but I'm really trying to get bigger and hopefully up to somewhere in the 160lbs range.

I'm not so interested in joining a gym, but know I'll probably have to eventually. I have 2 15lbs dumbbells, 2 25lbs dumbbells, and a flat bench.

I posted something similar to this in the 1st OT thread but it didn't get much love, anyone care to help here in part II?

Any advice/help would be appreciated!

Ugh, that's painful. It's like the kids back in high school who would ask the teacher if there was any HW when they forgot to mention it.

Pretty sure doing abdominal workouts every day doesn't do much. Do it every other day (even every three days is fine) and substitute it for another workout.

Old
08-28-2012, 12:17 PM
blue425

Quote:
Apparently I have pieces of paper, from actual colleges, that say I should know something about this.

Your muscle's require rest.

In fact rest is probably the most commonly overlooked aspect of working out. People are always concerned with things like "Am I doing enough", or "What else can I do?" When often the answer is you should take the day off.

You wouldn't run around for three days straight without sleep. Your muscles deserve sleep too.

Personally I am a big proponent of working out two days a week. My workouts are body weight only workouts, and I only work two days a week.

Old
08-28-2012, 12:35 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue425 View Post
Apparently I have pieces of paper, from actual colleges, that say I should know something about this.

Your muscle's require rest.

In fact rest is probably the most commonly overlooked aspect of working out. People are always concerned with things like "Am I doing enough", or "What else can I do?" When often the answer is you should take the day off.

You wouldn't run around for three days straight without sleep. Your muscles deserve sleep too.

Personally I am a big proponent of working out two days a week. My workouts are body weight only workouts, and I only work two days a week.
Thanks for the advice.

Care to share your routine?

Old
08-28-2012, 12:37 PM
The Dark Passenger
HFNYR Blues GM

Quote:
I also have paperwork from my university that says I should be able to answer this question.

Currently I alternate between 2 whole body, body weight exercise routines 4-5 days a week. These workouts are about 30-45 minutes in duration, and the rest of my day is spent resting/laying low. It's not too bad on me.

I was in your same shoes though. A few summers ago I was tipping the scales at about 135-140ish pounds. After a summer of working out 3 days a week and increasing my protein intake every day, at the end of the summer I was up to about 150-155.

The nutrition is key. If you want to gain weight, you have to increase your protein intake, be it through the food you eat (the more preferable option) or protein shakes if you don't have the means to increase it via your diet. As for how much to take, the general rule of thumb is you take the amount in grams that you want to weigh in pounds. So if you want to weight 155-160, you should get 155-160 grams of protein per day. There are plenty of calorie tracking apps that are free on iPhone/Android.

The way I see it, you have two options: workout every day and alternate what you're working out (day 1 abs, day 2 legs, day 3 arms, etc) or work out 3 days a week doing what you're doing now.

Hope this helps!

Old
08-28-2012, 12:44 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Passenger View Post
I also have paperwork from my university that says I should be able to answer this question.

Currently I alternate between 2 whole body, body weight exercise routines 4-5 days a week. These workouts are about 30-45 minutes in duration, and the rest of my day is spent resting/laying low. It's not too bad on me.

I was in your same shoes though. A few summers ago I was tipping the scales at about 135-140ish pounds. After a summer of working out 3 days a week and increasing my protein intake every day, at the end of the summer I was up to about 150-155.

The nutrition is key. If you want to gain weight, you have to increase your protein intake, be it through the food you eat (the more preferable option) or protein shakes if you don't have the means to increase it via your diet. As for how much to take, the general rule of thumb is you take the amount in grams that you want to weigh in pounds. So if you want to weight 155-160, you should get 155-160 grams of protein per day. There are plenty of calorie tracking apps that are free on iPhone/Android.

The way I see it, you have two options: workout every day and alternate what you're working out (day 1 abs, day 2 legs, day 3 arms, etc) or work out 3 days a week doing what you're doing now.

Hope this helps!
It does, thanks!

Old
08-28-2012, 12:54 PM
Muh
Beadle

vCash: 50
Quote:
It's not really expensive unless you're buying a stadium seat.
You can get a cheap ticket for just the side courts, which are better anyways, since you're literally right next to the field
I've gon in the past, and have gotten the stadium seat. It is a lot more expensive, but it seems worth it. Usually I try to go about a week in, so you get some better matchups.

Old
08-28-2012, 01:02 PM
blue425

There is absolutely nothing revolutionary about my workouts. Maybe evolutionary?

I follow Primal Blueprint Fitness, which you can get for free by signing up for the newsletter here. Green box where it says "Free 92 page e book".

Basically it is the following exercises:

Pull Ups
Front Planks
Side Planks
Squats
Overhead Press
Push ups

Each of those exercises is broken down into 9 levels skill levels. Level 1-3 are for beginners. Level 4 is proficiency. Levels 5-8 are advanced.

So when you start you perform a self assessment (its all covered in the e book), and based on how you perform in the assessment it will give you your starting level for each exercise.

When you reach the goal # of reps for a level, you advance to the next level. It is pretty simple.

I do it two days a week and track my progress via Google docs. One week every 6-8 weeks I will take the week off, and not do anything at all. If something feels "off" I may also take a week off or only workout one day.

There is a little more to it than what I have mentioned, but this is the gist of it.

Old
08-28-2012, 01:37 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue425 View Post
There is absolutely nothing revolutionary about my workouts. Maybe evolutionary?

I follow Primal Blueprint Fitness, which you can get for free by signing up for the newsletter here. Green box where it says "Free 92 page e book".

Basically it is the following exercises:

Pull Ups
Front Planks
Side Planks
Squats
Overhead Press
Push ups

Each of those exercises is broken down into 9 levels skill levels. Level 1-3 are for beginners. Level 4 is proficiency. Levels 5-8 are advanced.

So when you start you perform a self assessment (its all covered in the e book), and based on how you perform in the assessment it will give you your starting level for each exercise.

When you reach the goal # of reps for a level, you advance to the next level. It is pretty simple.

I do it two days a week and track my progress via Google docs. One week every 6-8 weeks I will take the week off, and not do anything at all. If something feels "off" I may also take a week off or only workout one day.

There is a little more to it than what I have mentioned, but this is the gist of it.
Going to look into all of this, thanks blue

Old
08-28-2012, 01:47 PM
koz2393

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muh View Post
I've gon in the past, and have gotten the stadium seat. It is a lot more expensive, but it seems worth it. Usually I try to go about a week in, so you get some better matchups.
monday through friday second week are usually the best combination of price and match quality...especially day sessions if you can swing that with your schedule/tolerate the potential heat

Old
08-28-2012, 02:59 PM
The Dark Passenger
HFNYR Blues GM

OogieLoves has to be the most obnoxious advertisement of all time.

Old
08-28-2012, 03:27 PM
Ave Maria
New Season New Dream

Send a message via Skype™ to Ave Maria
The UPS truck cannot come any slower

Old
08-28-2012, 03:58 PM
Tanner Glass
Call me Nils

Quote:
Originally Posted by o 16 Avery NYR o View Post
The UPS truck cannot come any slower
What are you waiting for? Seriously, you can't post that without telling us why

Old
08-28-2012, 04:54 PM
blue425

Quote:
The nutrition is key.

Hope this helps!
Key and often overlooked. Listen to this guy!

Quote:
What are you waiting for? Seriously, you can't post that without telling us why
Come on Avery. Spill it. Whatcha' order?

Quote:
OogieLoves has to be the most obnoxious advertisement of all time.
I think I speak for the entire population of childless couples when I ask:

WHAT THE **** ARE THOSE THINGS?

Old
08-28-2012, 04:57 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Anyone ever been to Tao's in NYC? Going there tonight for my sister's birthday.

If you've been there, is it good?

Old
08-28-2012, 05:44 PM
Muh
Beadle

Quote:
Originally Posted by koz2393 View Post
monday through friday second week are usually the best combination of price and match quality...especially day sessions if you can swing that with your schedule/tolerate the potential heat
Yeah, I work weekday mornings. So I usually try for primetime, unless I have an open weekend. I hate the heat, but I would manage it for a sporting event; except Day Met games, that's just pointless.

Old
08-28-2012, 07:43 PM
Cresto
In the pantry

Quote:

Never been there.
I remember from somewhere that you like Chinese food right?
I'm a foodie/$$$$restaurant snob (I don't mean to sound rich or anything ), but the thing with NYC restaurants is that a lot of restaurant will throw up the prices, decor and throw down everything that mirrors Michelin star restaurants except for the food and the service and MGMT.

The menu looks uncomplicated even though it's in some ways elaborate but Asian restaurants especially Chinese and other Asian restaurants with elements of Asian fusion tend to be able to have a lot of items on the menu without clogging up the kitchen and affecting efficiency.

I know there's one in Vegas as well so without a doubt I'm sure they have phenomenal food and the food seems to be focused and the concepts are clean while carrying a lot of finesse and punch.

Hong Kong Chinese carries a much more.... lively and what one might call a more acidic and more vibrant punch than the classic traditional flavors of Chinese food. With the Thai and Japanese they fuse in and the "NYC factor" (which is essentially where everything has to have some posh element or another that people are familiar with (going through the menu I see fingerling potatoes, fillets,
"Kobe" which btw isn't real Kobe), the food should be more lively than fine dining Chinese let's say.

Sorry for the rant. If you like Chinese food, I can't see how it's going to be anything but fantastic unless you order something completely not to your preference Don't **** it up.

You're just saying that to make everyone else jealou s

Old
08-28-2012, 07:59 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Quote:

I will interrupt and ask you for my shorts back.

Closed Thread