HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

OT Thread Part II: "We Successfully Made it Past Part I" Edition

Closed Thread

Old
09-03-2012, 07:23 PM
useref15

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
saw this on ****** last night

Old
09-03-2012, 07:33 PM
Jabroni
The Corporate Mod

Quote:
The moose turns into the Metalllian from the Judas Priest Defenders Of The Faith album cover:

Old
09-03-2012, 07:40 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
Hey Jonathan. could I PM you about Law School one day? I'm really trying to figure out where to go next in life, could use some advice from somebody in the mix at the moment.
For sure man!

"Okay, Joel. You've had your fun. Give your brother his pads back." - Trxjw
Old
09-03-2012, 07:42 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
Hey Jonathan. could I PM you about Law School one day? I'm really trying to figure out where to go next in life, could use some advice from somebody in the mix at the moment.
Don't do it.

Old
09-03-2012, 07:44 PM
silverfish
Comfortably Numb

Quote:
For sure man!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
Don't do it.
...Go on...

Old
09-03-2012, 07:49 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

I'm going through a law school crisis too right now...I've been dead set on law since the beginning of high school but I really think I wanna teach, so i've had like an existentialist crisis going on since like mid-August.

Old
09-03-2012, 07:54 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
I'm going through a law school crisis too right now...I've been dead set on law since the beginning of high school but I really think I wanna teach, so i've had like an existentialist crisis going on since like mid-August.
Oh God, I know this feel all too well. ****s with my panic disorder too.

09-03-2012, 08:08 PM
blue425

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCresty View Post
You were sounding rationale and intelligent until that second last sentence! Then you ruined it all....
The dogma of cooking and anything culinary is always about the ingredients being paramount to everything else. A lot of the times people try and assert their culinary expertise through the mentioning of their excellent array of "cookware, spices, organic/free range ingredients, sauces" and other peripheral stuff. It's like when a goalie first starts out and the gears and pads are a big part of how they approach the game. Later on though, when they develop expertise and develop into outstanding goaltenders, their skill, mentality, understanding of the game, composure and all the other small things like reading plays, battling for vision and desperation plays becomes the main focus and at this point, all the peripheral details like the pads (or the cookware) becomes secondary and instead of the pads and gears defining their expertise, they merely support them and allow them to execute without hindrance. I'm being harsh and critical I'm sorry but that's some solid truth!

It's definitely nice having a perfect set of cookware. One of the first things that I got for myself after my poker starting paying good was a fully equipped kitchen. I really don't know how to describe my cookware I know what it'd be best used for and when I see a piece of cookware, I run through my head subconsciously of its features and what it'd be appropriate for. I have about 60 pots and pans in the garage and every time I pick up something new, I play around with it and whatever is redundant in its functions and characteristics, I just put into the garage I've got a fully equipped kitchen though, convection ovens, gas burner, a flat top or sheet, grill, blast freezer that I just got in May and a small restaurant appropriate humidity controlled oven crisper thing. My friends are all convinced that I have some sort of Freudian obsession with knives because I keep enough around to open a small shop but all these things allow me to do everything I want and explore and take everything I do to your fullest potential and then some. I'm totally ranting and clogging up the OT Thread

I'm only 20 but I've been cooking and really working with stuff that people would call/condescend as fine dining. It's more about building an understanding of flavor, technique and concepts. There's a huge misconception about fine dining food as pretentious and impractical but it's really just about expanding and working with all the ingredients, techniques and concepts that there is in the world. It's not about dots of pea puree but instead it's about being artful and respectful of the ingredients and their potential by creating various elements of a dish that would compliment it masterfully. It's about the care and love into thinking about the infinite ways of making a dish better and more specifically, making each individual component of the dish or even an ingredient better in a way that would compliment the other individual components as well. Inevitably, it can become laborious and seem impractical. Ugh, I'm ranting and I see no end to my ranting to I'll let you respond first in case I'm totally in Jason's Fantasy World again.
Great response.

I can absolutely see where you are coming from. I should also say that for years I cooked using really ****** kitchenware. So at this point I appreciate having some things of better quality. And I haven't taken a real interest in cooking until the last four to six months or so. I suppose I just want to have a greater hand in the things that I eat and where they are coming from.

I will never possess your expertise, nor will I have access to your version of Kitchen Stadium.

That being said my philosophy, if I have one, is to let whatever you're cooking be the star. If I have a piece of meat, then salt and pepper is the only thing I am going to season it with.

If I cook a steak and proceed to bury it under some crazy topping, then the meat isn't really the star, the crazy topping is. Also it is just way easier to season **** with salt, pepper, and olive oil

Old
09-03-2012, 08:28 PM
blue425

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Whoa. Nothing sucks more then being indecisive about something you were so sure you wanted at one point.

I won't suggest what I think you should do, but I will share a story with you about some lawyer friends I have:

Friend one is an ex girlfriend. She went to U Chicago, got a job at Latham and Watkins, spent her first three years working 80 hours a week. She hated it. She quit, moved to Seattle, took a job at Amazon, and got married. She has a nice chunk of change in the bank I am certain, but she sacrificed six years of her life to do it.

Friend two. Went into law because dad was a lawyer. Worked as a securities lawyer at Rockefeller Center for a couple of years (not sure how many). He also quit and does non lawyer things now.

Also a much happier guy.

So I know two former lawyers, who had great jobs at firms here in NYC, and NEITHER is still practicing.

Person three is me.

I've spent the last ten years teaching PE. It hasn't been all roses, but 99% of the time it is ****ing awesome. I don't want children of my own, but believe me when I tell you I really do enjoy working with kids. If anything not having kids makes me a better teacher.

Will I ever be wealthy? No. And that's O.K. when you literally have four months off a year. To me, the time I have off is worth double what I make. Which when you take into account what I do, I actually do quite well.

I decided a long time ago (I was actually in middle school) that I didn't want to ride the train into the city everyday to sit in a cubicle 40 hours a week. And I went out and I found something that makes me happy.

This is only one person's account. You will hear plenty of horror stories about teaching, but the truth is this:

You are either cut out to be a teacher or you're not.

I have success because of three things:

1- I almost never raise my voice.

2- I treat them like humans.

3- I can empathize with them.

Basically you can relate to the kids or you can't. The moment you can't relate to the kids is the moment your job will start to suck.

I hope what I have said helps, and I wish you luck.

Old
09-03-2012, 08:51 PM
Kreider
My name is Nils

I need to access my student account to see my schedule for tomorrow, so I know where I'm even going, and it's not ****ing working!
RAGE!!!!!!

Old
09-03-2012, 08:54 PM
Machinehead
Richards Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipolar View Post
I need to access my student account to see my schedule for tomorrow, so I know where I'm even going, and it's not ****ing working!
RAGE!!!!!!
Get used to those things not working.

Student account thingys are like baseball players. If they work 3 out of 10 times, they're at the top of their game.

Old
09-03-2012, 08:58 PM
Kreider
My name is Nils

Time to watch the video Spark notes on "Brave New World"

I'm more than a third in, and they haven't even introduced the main character...

Old
09-03-2012, 09:00 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

School starts on Wednesday and I don't have any of my books, I.D., or a parking permit.

Old
09-03-2012, 09:04 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Get used to those things not working.

Student account thingys are like baseball players. If they work 3 out of 10 times, they're at the top of their game.
My UB pages and assignment web pages don't work at UB, on their OWN network.

Old
09-03-2012, 09:10 PM
Muh
Beadle

vCash: 489
5 minutes left, Giants need a big stop here.

Old
09-03-2012, 10:01 PM
silverfish
Comfortably Numb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCrazyRangerFan View Post
My UB pages and assignment web pages don't work at UB, on their OWN network.
Always a **** show at the beginning of semesters, let a week or two more go by and you'll notice the internet and running of UB's website go on a tear when 35% of people just give up on putting in the effort.

Any Yeasayer fans here? Just got the new album on iTunes, gonna try to give it a run through soon.

Old
09-03-2012, 10:17 PM
Kreider
My name is Nils

Crap! I have to start sleeping before 4am again...

Old
09-03-2012, 10:19 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

This timing is actually great. I have officially run out of things to do this summer. I've gone everywhere I wanted to go, read the books I've wanted to read, seen the movies I've wanted to see and rendered my xbox useless.

The boredom has been killer.

Old
09-03-2012, 10:25 PM
Kreider
My name is Nils

Actually excited for tomorrow. The first day of school usually tells me if I'm gonna have a good or bad year. My record in the past five years is 1-4

Old
09-03-2012, 10:27 PM
Kreider
My name is Nils

I've been subscribed to the SAT question of the day for about a month now, and have gotten just a single question wrong. Makes me feel good

Old
09-03-2012, 10:29 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipolar View Post
I've been subscribed to the SAT question of the day for about a month now, and have gotten just a single question wrong. Makes me feel good
I ggot a 1610 the first time I took an SAT. I thought it was a victory. Then the 1st time my friend did she got around 2000. I was sad then

Old
09-03-2012, 10:50 PM
Kreider
My name is Nils

I just want to present the awesomest guy of all time!
"I hope he uses some of the money to buy some pants that can contain his giant balls"

Old
09-03-2012, 10:51 PM
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light

Quote:
I ggot a 1610 the first time I took an SAT. I thought it was a victory. Then the 1st time my friend did she got around 2000. I was sad then
I took the first new SAT, got a 1650 and thought I was the ****. Then I realized it was kind of a crappy score. I should have taken it again and actually studied for it better but I didnt.

Old
09-03-2012, 10:57 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobgoblin Steve View Post
I took the first new SAT, got a 1650 and thought I was the ****. Then I realized it was kind of a crappy score. I should have taken it again and actually studied for it better but I didnt.
"New"? I took mine in june 2011. It changed? Or if that was the new one, I got lucky getting into college

Old
09-03-2012, 11:11 PM
adam94
BU Terriers

Quote:
"New"? I took mine in june 2011. It changed? Or if that was the new one, I got lucky getting into college
I think by "new" he means when they added the writing section a few years ago and the SAT was thereafter scored out of 2400 as opposed to 1600.

Closed Thread