HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cody Ceci signed to entry-level contract

Old
08-23-2012, 08:27 PM
tony d
The franchise

vCash: 500
Nice move here, our defense is looking very solid for the next few seasons.

08-24-2012, 09:39 AM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qward View Post
Correct. It is an agreement between the NHL and the CHL.
Apparently the NHL - CHL agreement expired in July per Dan Wiess. Whether that is accurate or not, the agreement is linked to the CBA, so it definitely expires Sept. 15th.

So technically there is nothing stopping NHL teams from sending 19 year olds to the AHL if there is a lockout.

Apparently the existing rule is something the NHL/NHLPA would like to abandon, so it is quite possible a new CBA will allow 19 year old players to be sent AHL.

Last edited by Holdurbreathe: 08-24-2012 at 10:18 AM.
Holdurbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 09:49 AM
sens83

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by We Want the Cup 2010 View Post
Wouldn't Benoit be on the 1st pairing?

Cowen - Benoit
Boro - Wiercioch
Claesson - Gryba
Blood

Wideman - ECHL
Eckford - ECHL (Don't know much about Eckford)
Ceci - 67's
Not necessarily. He was second line when he was here a few years back. Although we also had D.Smith. Eckford is an AHL-vet so i think you would see Blood in the ECHL instead of him. Ceci would probably be there over Claesson too, that is if they don't send him to the 67s.

sens83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 09:50 AM
sens83

Quote:
Wouldn't Benoit be on the 1st pairing?

Cowen - Benoit
Boro - Wiercioch
Claesson - Gryba
Blood

Wideman - ECHL
Eckford - ECHL (Don't know much about Eckford)
Ceci - 67's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdurbreathe View Post
The NHL - CHL agreement will expire on Sept. 15th since it is apparently locked to the CBA.

So technically there is nothing stopping the NHL teams from sending 19 year olds to the AHL if there is a lockout or the new CBA changes the current arrangement with the CHL.
So that means we could end up with some serious depth at D in the AHL/ECHL level.

Old
08-24-2012, 10:12 AM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sens83 View Post
So that means we could end up with some serious depth at D in the AHL/ECHL level.
It definitely seems to open the door for NHL teams to send players to the AHL, since they wouldn't be bound by the CBA or an expired agreement.

According to Sportsnet Jeff Marek, the CHL expects the AHL to honor the existing rules should there be a lockout at the NHL level -- thus keeping 18 and 19 year old players in the CHL.

This is confusing since there seems to be no agreement between the CHL and AHL regarding eligibility. The AHL By-Law states the age limit for eligibility to compete in the American Hockey League is 18 years or over, on or before September 15 of each season of competition.

I will research it further.

Old
08-24-2012, 10:55 AM
We Want the Cup 2010

Quote:
Not necessarily. He was second line when he was here a few years back. Although we also had D.Smith. Eckford is an AHL-vet so i think you would see Blood in the ECHL instead of him. Ceci would probably be there over Claesson too, that is if they don't send him to the 67s.
Unless something changes, with the numbers the way they are, I would be shocked to see Ceci playing anywhere other than for the 67's and hopefully Canada.

Cowen - Benoit makes more sense to me than Cowen - Boro, as Benoit is more offensive, and they usually try and pair a defensive dman with an offensive dman for better balance.

Just curious, as you've seen both play a great deal. Who do you think is better between Boro and Benoit?

We Want the Cup 2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 12:15 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Gonchar has one more yr on his contract, so I expect that Ceci will replace him when he retires. That gives Ceci another yr in junior where he can mature a little more, grow a little more & improve his overall game a little more. I expect Prince will be sent back with him to junior especially if there is a lockout.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 12:42 PM
sens83

Quote:
Unless something changes, with the numbers the way they are, I would be shocked to see Ceci playing anywhere other than for the 67's and hopefully Canada.

Cowen - Benoit makes more sense to me than Cowen - Boro, as Benoit is more offensive, and they usually try and pair a defensive dman with an offensive dman for better balance.

Just curious, as you've seen both play a great deal. Who do you think is better between Boro and Benoit?
Both are different kinds of players. It's tough to compare. Boro is a great shut down physical D-man who always seems to be in the right place. Benoit is more of a puck mover, he's got a silk like movement to him with the puck and is pretty good under pressure, doesn't rush a play. My biggest knock on Wiercioch is that he has always looked like he is indecisive and almost "lost at sea" sometimes on the PP. Having Benoit there to help him along is going to be a great thing for him, that was sorely missed last season.

If I have to pick "who is better" I would say at the AHL level probably Benoit, only because his game is more well rounded. It probably goes without saying though that obviously Boro is going to be in the NHL at some point in the next season or two. So it really depends on what kind of D-man you are looking for. If you want a guy that can be reliable with the puck, put up offensive numbers, and doesn't short his defensive game, then Benoit. If you want a guy that's going to focus on defense and leave the offense to other players, Boro.

Old
08-24-2012, 01:37 PM
We Want the Cup 2010

Quote:
Both are different kinds of players. It's tough to compare. Boro is a great shut down physical D-man who always seems to be in the right place. Benoit is more of a puck mover, he's got a silk like movement to him with the puck and is pretty good under pressure, doesn't rush a play. My biggest knock on Wiercioch is that he has always looked like he is indecisive and almost "lost at sea" sometimes on the PP. Having Benoit there to help him along is going to be a great thing for him, that was sorely missed last season.

If I have to pick "who is better" I would say at the AHL level probably Benoit, only because his game is more well rounded. It probably goes without saying though that obviously Boro is going to be in the NHL at some point in the next season or two. So it really depends on what kind of D-man you are looking for. If you want a guy that can be reliable with the puck, put up offensive numbers, and doesn't short his defensive game, then Benoit. If you want a guy that's going to focus on defense and leave the offense to other players, Boro.
Pretty much what I thought about the two as well. I was really impressed with Benoit when he had his call-up two years ago. Reminds me of Tom Preissing when he played for the sens. Wouldn't mind Ottawa trying him out as a reliable 3rd pairing offensive threat where he wouldn't have to play against the other teams top lines.

Old
08-24-2012, 01:40 PM
We Want the Cup 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
Gonchar has one more yr on his contract, so I expect that Ceci will replace him when he retires. That gives Ceci another yr in junior where he can mature a little more, grow a little more & improve his overall game a little more. I expect Prince will be sent back with him to junior especially if there is a lockout.
Prince will not be going back to junior as an over-age player. It is Ottawa, Bingo, or Elmira for Prince and Pageau. Ceci, Noeson and Puempel will be returning to junior unless they are playing for the big club.

Old
08-24-2012, 03:43 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
Quote:
He can only play OHL or NHL anyways so it doesn't matter.

WasTeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 08:30 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveChrisNeil View Post
He can only play OHL or NHL anyways so it doesn't matter.
This is not clear, the rules governing 18 and 19 year olds expires with the CBA.

Old
08-24-2012, 08:39 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Prince will not be going back to junior as an over-age player. It is Ottawa, Bingo, or Elmira for Prince and Pageau. Ceci, Noeson and Puempel will be returning to junior unless they are playing for the big club.
I was thinking if there was a lockout the Sens might have all these kids attend the Binghamton training camp. Then decide on where everyone is assigned based on that evaluation.

However I do agree with you, given the log jam that will be Bingo, these kids are most likely headed back to junior.